• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Additional Character and Stage Slots Have Been Discovered

In April 2015, Shiny Quaqsire originally shook the fanbase when discovered, at that time, unused audio files for Ryu, Roy and Lucas as well as stage music for Dreamland 64. Shortly after making the audio discoveries, Shiny Quaqsire found unused database entries for both characters and stages in the 3DS version.

With the 1.1.1 update, the number of unused character and stage “slots” has been increased. As of writing, there are three unused character slots, and three unused stage slots. There is some speculation that one of the stage slots may have been intended for a port of the recently released Pirate Ship stage, but those reports are not confirmed at this time.

All the entries to the character and stage databases have placeholder names. Furthermore, there is nothing in the data which indicates what these “slots” might be intended for, if anything at all. For additional, technical information on the discoveries, please refer to Wolfman_J’s article on Source Gaming.

Any ideas on what might end up in these slots? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for any updates on datamining efforts!

PushDustIn is excited to see who will be added to the roster. Tweet your predictions to him on Twitter!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

inb4 Ridley is confirmed and takes all the three spots for himself :troll:

But jokes aside, what will end up there is quite obvious: more DLC!

Last edited:
I got too caught up in hype and speculation, that I forgot to make a post about it on SmashBoards. Sorry for the delay!
This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!
nah just kidding push!
It's great to see the extra slots, and I look forward to seeing what results from them.

IMO I feel like Wolf, Layton, and Shovel Knight are the three most likely characters I could see being added, with or without the ballot.

Wolf because Star Fox: Zero and the sheer demand for him.

Layton because he's the only character we have a legitimate piece of evidence to say he at least MIGHT have had lines recorded for this game by his English voice actor.

Shovel Knight because YCG are so snuggly in bed with Nintendo at this point that I can honestly see it happening. Aside from characters already in Smash, he's still the only non-Nintendo character with an official Amiibo, which I think means he has more going for him than pretty much any other third party besides Layton.

I'm just happy there could potentially be 3 more upcoming characters rather than 1, regardless of who they are.
Personally though, I hope it's Wolf, Isaac and K Rool...

Last edited:
Layton because he's the only character we have a legitimate piece of evidence to say he at least MIGHT have had lines recorded for this game by his English voice actor.
I personally don't take a joke on Twitter and an IMDB entry (which is about as credible and editable as Wikipedia) as evidence. But that's just me. :p

Anyway, I'm hoping for Inkling, Captain Toad, and Rayman. My most wanted vet is definitely the ICs, but they're not exactly possible. :p I highly doubt that only one of these slots is for the ballot.
I don't understand what you mean.
You're one of the lot of people who have been wondering. ;)

I like how half of the people calling me out for being late are the same people I was hyping/ speculating with yesterday :3. <3.

I personally don't take a joke on Twitter and an IMDB entry (which is about as credible and editable as Wikipedia) as evidence. But that's just me. :p

Anyway, I'm hoping for Inkling, Captain Toad, and Rayman. My most wanted vet is definitely the ICs, but they're not exactly possible. :p I highly doubt that only one of these slots is for the ballot.

You're one of the lot of people who have been wondering. ;)
You don't know the full story then if you think I'm referring to his initial Twitter post on that day.

As long as indie knight doesn't make it in, I'll be content. There couldn't be a character less deserving than him.

Hoping that two of those slots belong to Wolf and Snake, if not, one of them should go to just Wolf. I don't care which other characters will make the cut.

Hoping for Geno to be one of them or at least the last newcomer in smash 4.
Yup. I'm here for Geno too. He should at least be in Smash Flash 2 if he doesn't make it to Smash 4. Man Nintendo is going to milk smash 4 with dlc so hard to the point where a meta will be a long long time from now. "Returning characters" should just already be in the game and were probably already pre programmed.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm rooting for Grovyle. Not only is he a perfect fit for Smash, he shuts up two groups of people-- the PMD rep people and the Gen III rep people.

I'm also going to be surprised if Wolf ISN'T in. He's by and large the obvious choice.

Last edited:
My Wishlist

Character Slots

Isaac
Wolf
King K. Rool

And if a 4th character is possible...

Bandana Dee

Stage Slots

Golden Sun Stage
Fourside (With an added day/night time system implemented in the stage)
Poke Floats

And if a 4th stage is possible...

Rainbow Cruise

This very interesting indeed. I wonder whom or what will fill these slots. Knowing Sakurai, I bet one of the characters will be someone totally unexpected.

Finally something to be excited about. Hopefully at least one of the characters is a newcomer and hopefully not a Pokémon or Fire Emblem character.

Top Bottom