• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Machiave

Smash Rookie
were there any vids taken of sonics @ mlg?
I took a vid of one of (I think) ithrowthings' match vs. a Falco that literally took the last 15 seconds to decide. The footage isn't great, but I can put it up when I get a chance if you want.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I took a vid of one of (I think) ithrowthings' match vs. a Falco that literally took the last 15 seconds to decide. The footage isn't great, but I can put it up when I get a chance if you want.
Go for it ;3

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Status update for The Showdown national tournament. ITT and I both made it out of pools. Hopefully There wont be any diddys in my future. Wish us luck!

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
My coming out of retirement for a day tourney lolz. Had to play Boss second round and Takeover in losers.

The boss set was hella close and i was surprised i did so well since i said **** this game a long time ago. And he saved this ridiculous match where i had the lead the whole game and got killed by that spawning cart on Picto that ended my life..utterly. I was highly upset but we just laughed that **** off.

Had to go against that mk that beat me before. I beat him but the dude like..SD'd all day so i didnt even count that as a win.

Went against Takeover. Beat him pretty good the first match. Second we went battlefield and he got me. And then third i was really suspicious. He banned green greens and not yoshis. And for some reason i just didnt trust picto anymore that day lol. So we went to yoshis. I was winning the whole match. Then he got hella smart. Camped the platform up top with grenades and for some reason i dont have the patience to sit there and time someone out.

But yea I got videos saved vs Boss and Chaosknight. Also a dubz vid saved vs Boss and Slikvik...thinking about it..Boss and me played a few times this tourney. tch..

Also speed beat me in a Sonic ditto. 2 stocked me. nou. :( It was fun randomly showing up to a tourney. I'll see them all next year when i decide to go back.

Super Street Fighter 4 all day ery day.

PS. Kupo i love you.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
My coming out of retirement for a day tourney lolz.
Also speed beat me in a Sonic ditto. 2 stocked me. nou. :( It was fun randomly showing up to a tourney. I'll see them all next year when i decide to go back.

Super Street Fighter 4 all day ery day.

PS. Kupo i love you.
This tourney was weird, you cant deny it...and that last sonic ditto, man, i dont know what the heck happened. i just played.

But yaaaaay, you're back! And i'll be spending quality time with mah Juri.
Just stop doing spring dair like that. >_<

looool, timing out is the best...i had to time someone out in tourney man. i felt so bad for it. It was K9. Espy, you know the pika that went to TX to see you? Yeah him...dangit, i couldnt really kill him at all. fffffffffffff.

I think i need to work on some aggro things man. This defense is great, and its working good, but i wanna mix it up at times with aggroness.

Trent

Smash Champion

Nebraska's Donation to Joker's Tournament
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256714&highlight=Trent
June 12th
Out of 14
3rd - Trent (Sonic)

Winners:
Beat Sherman the Tank :pit: :metaknight:
Beat Dark Yoshi :yoshi2:
Lost to Joker :snake: (Again..)

Losers:
Beat Smeesh :peach:
Beat Skizm :gw: :metaknight:
Lost to Tyser :dedede: :metaknight:

Welp, I have yet to beat Joker nor Tyser in brackets. I've gotten way closer to beating Joker, but Tyser just reads me like a friggin' book. Next time. Won $2 I guess.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Speed, there are gonna be times where you're going to HAVE to KO opponents.
Don't get too comfy running away.

Good stuff. K9's a fun dude to play.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
speed, yous a b***h.

learn how to kill pls.

and how the hell did yall let lie win that tourney? I beat him at mlg...
Malcolm took me out of winners and June's lucario stopped me. i dont know what to do vs them man.

And i cant find openings without suffering damage. but thats my fault for not being good enough to create those, right? I have to think of something!

Speed, there are gonna be times where you're going to HAVE to KO opponents.
Don't get too comfy running away.

Good stuff. K9's a fun dude to play.
i see. But its...so complicated. i'll try something, but i think im trying to camp too hard, be too defensive. i know i can be aggro but i dont know why i dont...i think i'll just get ***** if i do. ugh

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
You use to be all aggro ***. Btw I beat seagull's Wolf Lolzzz Aggro4tehwinz.nou. <3 You went aggro vs me in that last match. Im so used to u trying to time me out that you just..wrecked the **** outta me. I dont come out of retirement for a day to lose a sonic ditto u ***.

Also whats the deal with your gf Kels? How she doin champ? I saw her sending you love messages on the phone. Did you kiss her through the phone? And see her later on?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
this is not the time nor the place for that. there is nothing going on between us. drop it.

Anyway, im not trying to become too aggro, but im not also trying to be too defensive? or im just being doing both? i dunno whats going on. ffffffffffffff

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
It sounds to me like your going too auto pilot when youre actually playing the game, so you cant actually keep track of what youre actually doing. obviously you have good instincts if this is the case but at the same time its obvious that instincts dont get you everywhere.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Did pretty good at the Showdown. This tournament had so many really really really good players. I lost to Y.b.M. first round in loser's then clawed my way through loser's just to lose to Blue Rogue's Wario. WTF is it with old sonic mains picking up wario and beating their old main?

13th out of 70.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Malcolm took me out of winners and June's lucario stopped me. i dont know what to do vs them man.

And i cant find openings without suffering damage. but thats my fault for not being good enough to create those, right? I have to think of something!
I could try to help you out if you have videos of yourself. As for Wario and Lucario in general, they're pretty tough matchups. In the case of Wario, you have to play (smart/) aggressively until he gets that fart and/or you find yourself at a killing percentage, in which case you switch to defensive play. Easier said than done, not to mention that it's difficult to transact between the two and doing it constantly.

In the case of Lucario, you have to analyze the player. I really should try to get Lucario's shieldstun frame-data, but it's so boring having to do the same move properly spaced 5 times for 0, 50, 100, 150, and 200% and having to get his whole moveset that isn't a cmmand grab and gets an aura boost. Until I get that done (a long time from now...), you'll have to find what he spams the most and work your way around it. In a direct approach, use a running shield. From an aerial approach, Spinshot Bairs will have the most success. I can at least tell you now that assuming my current data is right, Lucario's DTilt is not safe on block for him. If they spam that attack to keep you away block it and then counterattack. I'm really trying to help with Lucario but the matchup is more player specific than anything, so until I can find specific videos or something this is all I can think of right now that is of any help. Anything else would be (more?) theorycraft and/or unhelpful.

this is not the time nor the place for that. there is nothing going on between us. drop it.

Anyway, im not trying to become too aggro, but im not also trying to be too defensive? or im just being doing both? i dunno whats going on. ffffffffffffff
Speed's serious. :O

Anyway:

It sounds to me like your going too auto pilot when youre actually playing the game, so you cant actually keep track of what youre actually doing. obviously you have good instincts if this is the case but at the same time its obvious that instincts dont get you everywhere.
KID is probably onto something with this.

Did pretty good at the Showdown. This tournament had so many really really really good players. I lost to Y.b.M. first round in loser's then clawed my way through loser's just to lose to Blue Rogue's Wario. WTF is it with old sonic mains picking up wario and beating their old main?

13th out of 70.
I'd assume it has something to do with character knowledge? Even if that's not the case though, I would imagine that a normal Sonic player will have trouble with Wario at first, and even after a couple of plays the matchup is still not, and probably not ever going to be easy for Sonic.

Trent

Smash Champion
I feel like he just reads me better than I read him. I've always had trouble reading my opponents to begin with and always go on auto pilot reaction based. I need to stop being such a reaction player.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Just ask yourself what you think hes going to do. put him in the same situation multiple times, and see how he reacts. than punish accordingly, reading begins with observation.

Tesh

Smash Hero
HOBO 25
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277421
June 12, 2010
Out of 62
17th-Tesh

Lost to a Lucario first round 1-2, I beat him, then I guess he just woke up and I didn't even know where to CP him.

Then I beat a Fox/Meta, a Pit and a Peach in Loser's all 2-0 if I recall.

Lost to a Metaknight after that, took him to delfino first match, simply because I love the stage. We were both obviously wanting to time each other out, but I got hit first and then I got shuttle wrecked. 2nd match I cped Ps 2 and it was fun scoring grabs and kills due to ******** transformations(treadmill cancel). 0-2

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
hmm try taking mk to.....like i guess picto or frigate

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
stage you dont want to take MK.
Stages where he can shark you: delfino, brinstar
stages that are too small and thus you cant run away from him. Castle Siege 1
stages with lots of uneven ground, for him to hit you from odd angles, battlefield, and PS1 transformations.

Stages you do want to take mk:
stages that are relatively flat or even so that you can fight him straight up: Final D
Stages that are large to take advantage of his average kill power: lylat, pictochat.
Stages that might be able to kill mk for you. pictochat, halberd

Trent

Smash Champion
So I'm probably not going to MLG Dallas anymore.

It overlaps a convention I already am planning to go to with my friends (That's much cheaper as well).

I still wanna go back to Texas though, so maybe a HOBO?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What about Steakfast In July (if Espy plans on hosting it then)?

I'll try to go there too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Steakfest 3 is gonna be either July 17th, or July 31st.

I'm still trying to get the okay.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I wish everyone in my city was bad at this game...

I also wish there was more than 6 brawl players that actually LIVED in my city, as opposed to just going to school here.

Also, Santi probably would have given you the **** if he had gotten to play you. Just sayin.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well, he's out of practice, and I did recently just beat Jerm.
Doesn't mean much, really, but I do have the Toon Link experience. I'd do just fine against him.

Now stop being a douchebag. :mad:

Top Bottom