• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ACL Expression of Interest!

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
http://imgur.com/a/ERoWR

^ Floor Plan for the event. We'll either be in the room behind the diamond looking staircase or on the top floor with the mezzanine spaces that looks towards a bridge.

I've spoken to one of the organisers tonight and he''ll have a confirmation by next Tuesday. Things are looking positive though.

Last edited:

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
cal, i don't want to alarm you, but somewhere in the venue has inverted gravity

GTR

Smash Cadet
I know this may be a bit early, but will there be a stream setup? I'd be more than happy to help out with TO/commentating/stream stuff since I don't have a real interest in participating in the tournament itself.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I spoke with the organiser again last night and he mentioned to me that we could share a Livestream with the Fifa Guys. We would have most if not all of the stream time on the Sunday which is perfect for us. We can potentially stream Top 8 Singles for Melee and PM with Top 4 for Brawl although it depends on overall time constraints and rulesets we decide to go ahead with. See how things go.
I'm thinking we could try out 1 stock Brawl format as running all 3 smash games will take quite some time.

So yea I would pretty much start booking flights in the next few days for those wanting to attend OoS.

GTR

Smash Cadet
Hmm, that's cool about the Sunday live stream. Is it possible though we can run our own ghetto setup for Saturday then?
I mean, I can bring a laptop and webcam. Capture cards etc... someone can provide (I know Gords has a USB thing).

Last edited:

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I'm thinking we could try out 1 stock Brawl format as running all 3 smash games will take quite some time.
If you want to try this out at a RoS event, go for it, but I don't feel like an interstate major is the place to try out a hugely different ruleset to what people are used to. Besides, as long as everyone, or at least most people, are attending both days, time shouldn't be too constraining.

Splice

Smash Hero
If you want to try this out at a RoS event, go for it, but I don't feel like an interstate major is the place to try out a hugely different ruleset to what people are used to. Besides, as long as everyone, or at least most people, are attending both days, time shouldn't be too constraining.
We already tried the 1 stock format at an interstate major (BAM). It went pretty well and you wouldn't be too upset with it.
OF course, NSW has to decide for itself and if you guys aren't comfortable with it yet then it's up in the air.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
We already tried the 1 stock format at an interstate major (BAM). It went pretty well and you wouldn't be too upset with it.
OF course, NSW has to decide for itself and if you guys aren't comfortable with it yet then it's up in the air.
Interesting, I didn't know you guys had tried it. I've heard a few things about 1 stock Brawl, but I don't really know how the ruleset works. I'm assuming it's 1 stock 3 minutes with the usual neutral/counterpick stages. I'm guessing a ledge grab limit of 15-20? Do you play Bo3 still or bump it up to Bo5?

I guess I'm sceptical as to whether 1 stock is enough to establish the momentum of the game and give players the opportunity to control it. So much of a 3 stock game revolves around the momentum after a kill, and how long it can be maintained in preventing a revenge kill; this aspect would be completely void in 1 stock matches. That said, although I'm sceptical, I'm not completely closed to the idea if enough people think that it might work.

I do want to make sure it's being done for the right reasons though. I did infer a bit of a sense of "This is going to be so hard/stressful. Ah **** it, let's just cut brawl down a few notches, nobody likes it anyway." I understand organising tournaments is hard and stressful, and massive props to Cal and those who've been helping him for stepping up when no one else did. Also, I realise I may be jumping to false conclusions due to lack of other explanations. If there are other hindrances, or if it the community comes to a general agreement that we would prefer to run a 1 stock format, then that's fair enough. But if the main argument against running 3 stock brawl is simply the amount of effort required to pull it off, it simply means that we, as a community, need to put more effort into organisation. I would be happy to offer my assistance to help the event run smoother, and I'm sure many other people would too.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
The 1 stock idea in general is a concept from a collection of TO's in the Brawl scene attempting to keep the game relevant. If anything, the reasoning is to try and perpetuate some kind of interest in it. It's also intentionally convenient to make it easier to run a Brawl tournament, which would usually take the longest (had it the same entrants as Melee or P:M)

The explanation that you lack is that a stigma around Brawl is developing that is pushing it further down as less of a priority in the interests of the Smash Community at large, as so much success is being had in P:Ms expanding scene and of course Melee with all the EVO and MLG hype and ridiculously stupid amounts of new players for a 13 year old game. The 1 stock format is probably not optimal, but at this point I see it as a reasonable and acceptable way to assist Brawl to harmonize with the rest of the series in a tournament environment.

Ruleset is pretty close to what you mentioned, sets are bumped up to Bo5 with 15 LG afaik. 3 mins usual stage. The time for discussing this further should probably be after more details are confirmed and we have a better idea of the situation and what they're looking at achieving with ACL, so we should probably halt it for now. If you want to read more, this exact same topic has been dwelled on for several pages in the BAM 6 thread.

Gords

Smash Champion
Your welcome at my place Jbirds, Spup, Phrase, DJcat, Vyse, Toki (if your happy to sleep on the floor as i only have coaches enough for 3 people), just let me know if you want to take the offer and your arrival times

Dino63

Smash Journeyman
How dare you miss me out on that list gords..... But I doubt I can afford it if I decide to go to the Melbourne one :'( oh wells.
in other news, you coming up for Wintersmash gords? My brother will be staying at our place that week but their should be room but let us know

Gords

Smash Champion
yeah dino, i should be able to make it to wintersmash. your also welcome at mine if you can manage to get here for acl

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
Your welcome at my place Jbirds, Spup, Phrase, DJcat, Vyse, Toki (if your happy to sleep on the floor as i only have coaches enough for 3 people), just let me know if you want to take the offer and your arrival times
yo Gords, don't know if you remember me from Play Warehouse. I got housing, but I'd be down to go to any meets going on before/during/after ACL!

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
meets before acl will be decided after i confirm my roster. i will probs hold something especailly if i have a few OoSer staying at mine

Top Bottom