• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About Melee and Brawl

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
Yo Smash peeps, what's going on? Anyways question for the lot of yeah, don't worry nothing fancy or long. As a Smash player that (in my opinion) is actually starting to get good in Smash do you think I should keep working at it or just not bother? Not bother you say, well because Brawl is on the horizon and I'd be ****ed if all my hard work went to waste because by the time I actually started really going and getting into tournaments (yes, I've never been to one), bam, Brawl is out and people are jumping ship. So overall is it worth it, should I even bother when I'm getting into it this late in the game or should I just stop now and wait for Brawl?

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
id say keep going, youre only going to gain, dont forget brawl will be the same overall kind of game that melee is, and just experience in melee will help you when brawl comes out, even if alot is changed. the people who were good at ssb64 before melee definitely had an advatage when melee was released over the people who were just starting with melee. i just got started playing melee big not even two months ago, and have yet to go to a tournament as well. but im still gonna keep playing it.

Because you gained skill in Melee doesn't mean that most of your skill won't be applicable in Brawl.Even still,practice and enjoy the game as much as you can.

Besides,Brawl doesn't have an official release date,so we just have to enjoy the game as if Brawl wasn't coming out...

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
I'm also new to ssbm, and coming to realize my fav character and main, ice climbers aren't gonna make it to brawl....although i have been becoming rather good with the ice climbers...i wondering if i should work on other players that are confirmed for brawl so that way the switch over will be easy....

and even when brawl does come out, i'm sure melee isn't just gonna drop dead. i am sure tourneys will still be around ect. Hell many years later there are still goldeneye tournaments goin on, on nintendo 64

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
I'd say there's an excellent chance the ice climbers will return. Why do you believe otherwise?
(don't pay any attention to claims made in non-stickied threads in the brawl forums)

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
id say keep going, youre only going to gain, dont forget brawl will be the same overall kind of game that melee is, and just experience in melee will help you when brawl comes out, even if alot is changed. the people who were good at ssb64 before melee definitely had an advatage when melee was released over the people who were just starting with melee. i just got started playing melee big not even two months ago, and have yet to go to a tournament as well. but im still gonna keep playing it.
Quoted for truth.

Seanson

Smash Ace
if you dont have fun playing Melee in the first place, then maybe you shouldn't continue.

if you ARE having fun with melee, then there is no reason to stop.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
if you dont have fun playing Melee in the first place, then maybe you shouldn't continue.

if you ARE having fun with melee, then there is no reason to stop.
Exactly
I know Brawl is on the horizon
But that doesnt mean I should stop playing Melee
It will always be a great game
Just keep on playing until Brawl comes out

hrairoo

Smash Cadet
Most of the gameplay will still be the same in brawl. I remember hearing that it will still use the gamecube controller. So keep practicing. Also, brawl will probably be delayed. And delayed. And delayed. It could potentially be a long time until brawl comes out.

pdk

Smash Lord
even if they change all the little nuances of ssbm you'll still have learned good strategy, how to get in a good mindset for competition, etc.

Fletch

Smash Master
Amen to that, continually playing melee will help your "mindgames" (hate that word), which should apply to Brawl when it comes out. Just look at Isai going from SSB to Melee, he is still awesome. You should play this just for fun anyways until Brawl comes out though.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Don't stop playing SSBM even when SSBB comes out, heck I'm still playing SSB64 right now even through it's an old and excellent game.

pdk

Smash Lord
and aside from that it's a safe bet that ssbm's competitive scene will continue to exist for at least a year after brawl's release, happens all the time with other fighter series

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to thank you guys for your responses. Yes I do still enjoy this game, I just was wondering if my hard work would go to waste once Brawl came out. But once again, thank you all I shall continue to play Smash and keep getting better at it. And to the one guy worried about the Ice Climbers, don't be. They haven't been confirmed to not be in Brawl, and as a fellow Ice Climbers player I also hope they make it into Brawl.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Obviously, it's impossible to say which advanced techs will work or not work in brawl, so yes, definitely keep playing smash.

pdk

Smash Lord
also consider there's a lot of things that aren't exactly "advanced techs" but still things that inexperienced players tend to forget (dashdancing, edgehogging, etc.)

Wrath`

Smash Master
Melee is one of those games you'l put away and pick it up a few years later and say this was a great game and just start playing it.

Some techniecs will be the same so play ssbm,and get used to it so you have some returnig skills when ssbb comes out.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
You know what? Smash Bros is a game, and games are for enjoyment. If you enjoy playing SSBM, then ffs, play it!

Also, as about everyone who has posted before me has mentioned, Brawl is a sequel to Melee. The games should be pretty similar. Playing Melee deffinitly won't hurt your future Brawl game. Any new technical skill that needs to be learned in Brawl can be learned, but you'll need the ability to read your opponent. That won't change at all between Melee and Brawl.

Thus in closing, play Melee. It's good for you. :p

justice

Smash Ace
I say keep on with it man theres nothing holding you back from becoming good at both. Anyways you'll learn more that way.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Games will change, but it's not like the only reason you should play Melee is to practice for Brawl. There's a lot of content in the game, a lot of things that the game's superior gameplay overshadowed. Heh, if it's a good game, then enjoy it. It'll tide you over until Brawl is finally released (hopefully...).

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Brawl's release is getting closer and closer. However, that doesn't mean that you need to give up on Melee. If you care enough to join and be an active member on this site, then you must have some sort of love for the game. If you love something, stick with it.

On a different note, I believe that playing Melee will help you understand and be familiar with the main aspects of Brawl. However, I don't think that the in-depth concepts and mastering of characters will neccessarily help you out too much in Brawl. Just examine the differences from ssb to ssbm.

Top Bottom