• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About Brawl's leaks and future SSB4 leaks...

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I've just checked some topics in these boards about the time Sonic was revealed (2007) and wow, I can't believe how some people were extremely close-minded about things that ended up being true... I read posts by NyaseNya and even after the info she/he posted turned out to be legit, people continued to be in denial and even insulted her/him.

I wouldn't be surprised if history repeated itself. Are you 100% sure Little Mac or Ridley will be in this game? Please be more open-minded and stop being in denial when the time comes and something you thought was impossible becomes real (ahem Wii Fit Trainer). I'm not saying you should believe every leaker, just be more open to new ideas. What if Ridley isn't in this game? What if Toon Link is cut? The game will be great anyways, Sakurai knows what he is doing.

Hong

The Strongest
A lot of the time people let their passion and desire to see something manifest overrule logic. Some of the people who believe they have a "logical" consensus have really just convinced and hyped themselves that these things will happen. It is really bad.

There are reasonable assumptions we can make. For one, the triforce will complete itself. Luigi will join Mario. Staples like Fire Emblem will return. These things are safe assumptions.

Hyping things up based on popularity, outdated polls and manipulating selectively translated words in favour of your character is just setting yourself up for a miserable experience.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I remember when the actual Brawl roster got leaked. There were actually two prominent roster "leaks" at the time that people were divided between. One was the real 35 man roster and one was a dream 43ish? man roster that included Ridley and Geno amongst others.
Most people dismissed the 35 roster and hated it because of omissions like MewTwo, Ridley, Megaman, Geno and so many cuts.

Considering how good the Brawl roster actually was it was amazing how gloomy and disappointed most people were here and on gamefaqs once the final roster was confirmed.

There has been a leak for every game so far (except maybe 64 because no one cared yet), so I'd think it's only a matter of time really.
Only thing for certain is that alot of people will hate it no matter how good it is.

P.S. I believe we have already had a legitimate leak confirming Pac Man, Little Mac and Mii.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Here's the smartest strategy for any leaker. Your goal is not to call them out on being right or wrong; merely ask them as many questions as possible to get as much information as possible. This accomplishes two purposes. The first is that, if events later prove them accurate, we have as much information as possible. The second is that, given a higher volume of information, there are more opportunities for them to contradict themselves or established facts. Try to make the questions you ask cover a broad base too; just constantly asking which characters are in the game is not productive. Pointed questions about the game's various features and mechanics are better, and if they're unable to answer those, it may contradict their alleged source of information.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah the thing is that a lot of people are trying to convince themselves that this or that is definitely going (or not going) to happen. That's why I'm holding out about Toon Link before I go straight out yelling "He is Cut!! He is Cut!!" as he is a very vague subject right now and you can't just jump the gun on him like how it was for Ness during the Brawl day's.

It's okay to say that you can't see or imagine this or that happening, but you shouldn't say that this or that is definitely not going to happen as Wii Fit Trainer and to some extend Villager have proven. (Unless you are one of those guy's who is convinced that Sakurai is going to include the likes of Master Chief or some anime character etc into the game, In which case I'd say. Good luck to you.).

Sakurai is lets say, quite the unpredictable man and trying to figure out what is going on in his head probably gets you nowhere.

Although we can safely believe that the likes of Peach, Luigi, Zelda, Yoshi, Wario etc etc (You know, the very obvious characters) are definitely going to return into the game.

Newcomers generally are all up in the air and dodgy veterans like Toon link, Lucario, Sonic and Snake etc are just vague and your better off holding off convincing yourself that they are cut or staying until we see the full roster.

The problem is though in terms of leakers is just that, there are a lot of them so you can't be sure who to trust and who not to. Unless they have a very good track record I guess...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I remember when the actual Brawl roster got leaked. There were actually two prominent roster "leaks" at the time that people were divided between. One was the real 35 man roster and one was a dream 43ish? man roster that included Ridley and Geno amongst others.
Most people dismissed the 35 roster and hated it because of omissions like MewTwo, Ridley, Megaman, Geno and so many cuts.

Considering how good the Brawl roster actually was it was amazing how gloomy and disappointed most people were here and on gamefaqs once the final roster was confirmed.

There has been a leak for every game so far (except maybe 64 because no one cared yet), so I'd think it's only a matter of time really.
Only thing for certain is that alot of people will hate it no matter how good it is.

P.S. I believe we have already had a legitimate leak confirming Pac Man, Little Mac and Mii.
The Pac-Man rumor has been debunked a while. Sakurai himself said Mega-Man is a special case.

As for Brawl leaks, there was one leak. The roster was Chrono taking all of the proven leaks and making a roster. There was two I remember, but there probably was 3.The one in OP is one of them which everyone denied. The second one was the dragoon one.

Tip for leakers: If you are going to leak something, do something very small along with the rest. The guy with the Dragoon had it right as he described the item and how it works. When it was shown, everyone knew it was true. The leaker in OP messed up because he said something kind of obvious (Sonic was going to be shown). He was, but everyone was expecting Sonic. You have to do something that some on couldn't just guess and get lucky.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The big surprise about it all came from the fact that all of the most wanted newcomers were starters, and the unlockable newcomers (with the exceptions of the 3rd parties) were big dissapointments. So when the unlockables were finally revealed of course there was a lot of dissapointment, can't say that Lucario (though we knew about him), Wolf or R.O.B (derp) had as much support pre-Brawl as Ridley, Geno, Krystal, K. Rool, Mega Man or even Masked Man. Plus, Mewtwo being cut sure wasn't met with open arms either.

That's at least why I felt like I did back then. All of the great new characters were starters and had already been revealed, so it was a very underwhelming final reveal when the roster was leaked to say the least.

But yes, in the end it all comes down to expectations. I'm trying to not expect anything really, Wii Fit Trainer served as a reminder that we're not supposed to try and predict Sakurai, it was R.O.B all over again, though not as grim since there's still open slots left. So right now I'm not expecting anything while I'm also expecting everything to happen.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I think Serebii and someone on gamefaqs were also accurate leakers.

I'm still expecting a ****storm when the roster is leaked.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm still expecting a ****storm when the roster is leaked.

That is definitely going to happen. It happened to Melee, it happened to Brawl and it's definitely going to happen to Smash Bros Wii U/3DS.

You can't please everyone after all.

bobadz

Smash Ace
That is definitely going to happen. It happened to Melee, it happened to Brawl and it's definitely going to happen to Smash Bros Wii U/3DS.

You can't please everyone after all.
Indeed. I expect There will be character that will be blamed for taking someone's spot.

Also, how was the brawl roster gradually leaked? I've only heard names of leakers.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Indeed. I expect There will be character that will be blamed for taking someone's spot.

Also, how was the brawl roster gradually leaked? I've only heard names of leakers.

Exactly, Wii Fit Trainer is already getting the blame of taking some newcomer's spots when we don't even know which ones have made it in yet or how many we are getting. How about we wait until the full roster is shown before we get butthurt and blame every character we don't like? people...

I can't fully remember actually, I do remember that there were a ton of rumor's and supposedly "leaks" thrown around close to its Japanese release. I also kinda remember there were these two roster leaks, one was real and the other was fake, most held their bets on the fake one.

And from the people I've heard here there was this one leak that also included the Dragoon item and explaining exactly how it worked.

That's all I can remember, its been a while really.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Weird, I thought that the hype for Takamaru started after the inclusion of his mini game in nintendoland. XD These old threads are comedy gold. Man I hope I never look so in denile.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Weird, I thought that the hype for Takamaru started after the inclusion of his mini game in nintendoland. XD These old threads are comedy gold. Man I hope I never look so in denile.

Haha I know right, I can imagine 7 years in the future people will look at our threads and posts and just laugh about how we had no clue about what was going to happen

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I really glad this was posted. In light of how stupid people now seemed looking back, I hope that people here can stop being so dogmatic about their largely baseless predictions and conclusions about character selection. =P

Its for this reason that I try my best to only speculate in very broad principles, rather than minutia like what characters will get in.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
gMiss Fit and Villager being shown though should give us some kind of a new flow into the roster. I guess this time not wait for those we want the most, but just wait and see. Sakurai's shown to care about the fanbase, but I'm looking now forward to see how he'll deliver his roster like, whatever it's going to be.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Looking back, most of my outcry came from the fact that I suddenly became painfully aware that I had basically dedicated about 2 1/2 years of my life to something that really didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. With my dreams of becoming an animator crashing and burning literally my very first semester of college, having virtually no friends, living with my parents, and working a dead end job, supporting Geno in Brawl was one of the few things that kept me going in life. With so little going on in my own life, looking forward to Brawl was basically the thing that got me up in the morning for nearly 3 years. I was angry because I suddenly had to face the fact that literally months of my life had been spent on an online forum and I let my offline life go to hell because of it. It also made me realize that I had been putting off treating my clinical depression that had been going on since I was 10 and that I was also using Brawl as a distraction from that. When Brawl's roster was officially leaked, I acted outraged about the absence of Geno/Megaman and the presence of ROB/Wolf but really I was pissed at myself for letting a video game dictate my life.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Beware yo, the people in the future are watching!

Even if someone was shown to be correct previously in their leaks there are people out there who rather go into denial and shout obscenities at the leaker than believe them if it's news they don't want to hear. On the other hand if it's news everyone wants to hear everyone people are going to be much more accepting.

Just imagine if someone who already correctly proved to be have leaked stuff in a past made a thread claiming to have insider info that SSB4 is going to be delayed a half a year, compared to the same person claiming to have insider info that (YOUR MOST WANTED NINTENDO CHARACTER) is in the roster.

I'm sure anyone can imagine the difference in the overall attitude of the same person replying to both threads in terms of believing the leaker.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The Pac-Man rumor has been debunked a while. Sakurai himself said Mega-Man is a special case.
What? How does Mega Man being a special case mean that other 3rd party characters can't be special cases as well? Sakurai never said that there won't be any 3rd parties besides Mega Man, he said there wouldn't be a lot of them, which implies more than one.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
^on that note with megaman/pacman, in one of the interviews, sakurai responded to whether or not there would be any more 3rd party characters by saying "I might get into a lot of trouble [...]" or something along those lines. That means there's a possibility they already have a 3rd party character apart from megaman in mind for smash4, but we'll just have to wait it out. If there is another 3rd party character, I feel that pacman would be less considered than a franchise that has consistently been on nintendo systems. (I WANT SORA IN MY SMASH! >.>)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
What? How does Mega Man being a special case mean that other 3rd party characters can't be special cases as well? Sakurai never said that there won't be any 3rd parties besides Mega Man, he said there wouldn't be a lot of them, which implies more than one.

This is how people react when they hear things xD.

When people don't like something they rephrase everything they hear in order to fit their own needs. People need to be skeptical and analizers but with true objectivity instead of all the subjectivity that goes around.

Sakurai said he wouldn't add many third parties and that Megaman was a special case, he deserved it. People rephrase this to: "There won't be any more 3rd parties". I don't know how he won't add many translates into he won't add any at all.

People don't learn from past mistakes apparently and just let subjectivity rule their judgement.

If there is another 3rd party character, I feel that pacman would be less considered than a franchise that has consistently been on nintendo systems. (I WANT SORA IN MY SMASH! >.>)
Sonic is the most probable 3rd party. (We can't assume he is in as much as we can't assume he is cut.) After that I would really debate that Pac-Man is the strongest and most probable 3rd Party to join. (Both in my opinion)

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I feel that pacman would be less considered than a franchise that has consistently been on nintendo systems. (I WANT SORA IN MY SMASH! >.>)
Pac-Man HAS consistently been on Nintendo systems... He's had games on every major Nintendo system (including both the Wii U and 3DS) and even appeared with Mario in the Mario Kart arcade games.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I really glad this was posted. In light of how stupid people now seemed looking back, I hope that people here can stop being so dogmatic about their largely baseless predictions and conclusions about character selection. =P

Its for this reason that I try my best to only speculate in very broad principles, rather than minutia like what characters will get in.
What fun is that? :p Why do people always have to take speculation so seriously?

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Pac-Man HAS consistently been on Nintendo systems... He's had games on every major Nintendo system (including both the Wii U and 3DS) and even appeared with Mario in the Mario Kart arcade games.
It's a good point, but i still don't want Pac-Man... well not until (assuming he does get included which may well not happen) Sakurai makes me want him anyway. Seriously. I wasn't a huge Megaman supporter until I saw how awesome Sakurai had made him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is the problem the older the series gets and the more we get closer down the list of likely suspects. People are against people and characters that seem highly logical from a stand point to be cut/return/become new comers.

Every single main potential newcomer has some naysayers now and the biggest lot of them seem like the ones that Sakurai would go to first to cull his new roster from, yet there's someone always complaining about each of them taking up a spot that belongs to someone else.

The man can't win even when he's picking the big shots and putting them in the game now.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It's a good point, but i still don't want Pac-Man... well not until (assuming he does get included which may well not happen) Sakurai makes me want him anyway. Seriously. I wasn't a huge Megaman supporter until I saw how awesome Sakurai had made him.
Yes, that's a good point, Sakurai and his creativity can make you like characters you never thought you'd like. I honestly would have preferred Tom Nook to the Villager, but now that I've seen him Tom Nook is an afterthought.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Yes, that's a good point, Sakurai and his creativity can make you like characters you never thought you'd like. I honestly would have preferred Tom Nook to the Villager, but now that I've seen him Tom Nook is an afterthought.
Same and I've never even played Animal Crossing.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...brawl-roster-does-get-leaked-on-topic.134204/

Here's a nice read up on melee's leak. Anyone recall how the brawl leak went down? I think there were three leakers that were telling the truth.

And for examples of how people reacted to the leak.

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/chronobounds-thoughts-on-the-brawl-roster-very-long-read.139579/

We can expect this reaction when 4 comes out.
So the Brawl DoJo didnt announce every char before release? I thought it did....

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
It's probably the only game that rivals World of Warcraft when it comes to how addicting it is. If you decide to play it, you can probably kiss at least a good two months of your life goodbye.
I can vouch for this. I played Wild World and City Folk to death. I only stopped when I accidentally lost all my Bells to spoiled turnips after inadvertently adjusting the time not remembering that I had them. I was so disheartened that I never fired it up again.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Did people know they were 4 chars missing?
Don't think so. We were all hoping for the 35-roster being untrue, but some people already had the game early and streamed it. After a while people got more and more characters. I remember Wolf being the last one missing, but was found later as well.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...brawl-roster-does-get-leaked-on-topic.134204/

Here's a nice read up on melee's leak. Anyone recall how the brawl leak went down? I think there were three leakers that were telling the truth.

And for examples of how people reacted to the leak.

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/chronobounds-thoughts-on-the-brawl-roster-very-long-read.139579/

We can expect this reaction when 4 comes out.
Excellent reads. Thanks for sharing, and thanks to Chrono for writing them.

Top Bottom