• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Abolishing IVs: your thoughts

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Theoretically speaking, how would you guys think it would be like if the IV system was wiped, and the EV system was fleshed out to compliment the lack of IVs?

I'm just curious, not trying to assert anything or whatever. This room just needed more discussion.
I can't see how this would work.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
I like IV's.

I wish they were easier to calculate (as in, some kind of in-game mechanic to see them), but they define Pokemon. Either be a good trainer, or don't. If you don't wanna put in the time to get good IV's, then you must not be competitive. Which is fine, catch your guys, EV train them, and go wild. Chances are you don't compete in tournaments anyways.

My strategy when breeding is just to do 4 or 5 rounds of eggs. Pick the highest IV babies, do 1 or 2 more rounds, then whoever I have at the end is what I stick with. Sometimes their IV's are incredible, sometimes just above-average. But it usually doesn't take more than a day. It just makes you feel good to put in that little extra bit of dedication to get a stronger Pokemon.

I'd rather see a game have too MUCH content rather than be too simplistic.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
what's in HGSS that makes it easier to deal with IVs

i don't mind them, it creates variability but i wish there was some way to exploit them without "cheating"

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Power items. When held during breeding, the IV of the stat it affects from the parent WILL be passed to the baby.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
I was reading the 5th gen thread on Smogon a while back, and a particular post really aroused my thought. I can't really say it better than Tortferngatr did, so just read:
Idea: Just make the breeding system like this:

Each IV is split into 5 "genes":

16: [Y/N]
8: [Y/N]
4: [Y/N]
2: [Y/N]
1: [Y/N]

If the Pokemon has a Y in a certain gene, then add that IV number to all the other Y numbers in that stat. Every N means "not added." When breeding, the game takes both of each IV. If the two Pokemon have Y's in the same gene, then the inheriting Pokemon automatically gets that IV, and the opposite for two N's. If one has a Y and the other an N, then it's 50/50 how the Pokemon will turn out.

That way, though you need to set up a few good IV chains, once they're started all you really need to do is SR for natures, you'll have perfect Pokemon no matter what. It sounds complex, but since all you really need to know is 5 0's and 1's in the stat you're trying to max, it becomes slightly easier to breed. It also allows for easier minute tweaks to each mon: You can simply take two "perfect" eggs and there's a 100% chance it will be a perfect egg itself. As long as you have the right nature, your Pokemon's IVs will be perfect and you can simply breed more of the same mon any time you want a different version of them.

It's complicated enough to provide a challenge, but simple enough for competitive players to not have to SR for OVER 9000 HOURS in order to get decent Pokemon.

...I'd propose this to Nintendo.

Top Bottom