• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A vs. C-stick in the air

tekkie

Smash Master
After watching a lot of Wolf vids, I don't really understand how one can get perfect bair control with the way a GC controller is set up. (see any JJ video. perfect bair/movement control independent of each other.)

On a Wiichuck, jump and smash (d-stick) are in opposite hands, so doing both essentially at the same time is easy.

On a GC controller, the two jump buttons, as well as both the normal attack button and c-stick, are on the same side. How can you do both at the same time?

Also, which control do you use? With the a-button, you have to mash the joystick around to move and attack in a different direction, but it's also very close to the jump buttons. The c-stick can attack in any direction while you move in a different direction with the joystick, but it requires moving from a/b/x/y to the stick itself.

I guess theoretically u-jump on the joystick might alleviate the problem, but **** SUCKS.

So, any input?

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I use the Y button to jump and slide my finger to A while using the stick to control direction in order to do 0 lag air attacks. If I'm in the air normally, I use the stick to attack, and if I'm doing FF bairs, I use the stick since I have long enough to move from A to stick during DI towards the opponent.

tekkie

Smash Master
It's a different topic. If you prefer the claw for the reasons I mentioned in the first post, that's a legitimate alternative. But I'd also like to discuss A vs. C-stick.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Use the A button for 80% of your areils. its very situational that the Cstick is better, about 20% of the time like i said.mostly A button

and dont use the X button to jump, if you do your probably really terrible at the game

rvkevin

Smash Lord
You don't need to modify anything to DI well and use aerials, not the grip/controls. Just hit Y and A while using the directional for rising Bairs and switch to the C-Stick so you can move away while still doing Bairs. There is plenty of time in between Bairs to switch form the A button to the C-Stick. This is how you achieve your so called "perfect bair/movement control."

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Use the A button for 80% of your areils. its very situational that the Cstick is better, about 20% of the time like i said.mostly A button

and dont use the X button to jump, if you do your probably really terrible at the game
I use the x and y button to jump. I must be terrible at the game (sarcasm)

Geist

Smash Master
After a while you can move your hands fast enough.
I can consistantly move my thumb accurately to a few frames after playing for a few years, and it's no problem pulling off near-frame perfect arials with the c stick.
Just practice moving your fingers, or use the claw. Personally I can't deal with switching between standard position and the claw, so I don't. Just do what works and what feels comfortable.

If you want to know the advantages of using cstick, naturally it allows better movement and doesn't kill your momentum. A button is quick to reach, but requires more dexterity and screws with your spacing.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Hence why I use stick for air moves, so I don't mess up the direction I want go and pull the moves out very fast and accurately. Oh and using Y button is amazingly easier to short hop with and when you learn to you can perform aerials with the A button still with little lag between the buttons. It's just muscle memory.

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
I only use A for nair which is never really.By clawing I can have full ariel control use attacks faster.For example, how is it possible to lagless sh fair while moving backwards.Its impossible since you have to fair and jump nearly at the exact same time

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Dude, post the claw thing in the other thread, this is not the claw thread! This is stick versus A button.

tekkie

Smash Master
Dude, post the claw thing in the other thread, this is not the claw thread! This is stick versus A button.
His post was legitimate. It's a solution to the problem.

I was also considering button remaps, like Z to jump or something, but I'd like to avoid that.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I haven't tested it but it doesn't feel like the Z button can really feel the pressure, for that matter the trigger doesn't seem to either. See if using those options work, but it seems like using the Y or X button is the most effective. Does Castor, Kailo, or any other high Wolf players use claw like grips to solve this? I think they just use quick speed with their thumbs and a normal grip.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
I like the C-stick for most aerials. I dunno I just find it easier to do stuff like DI away from the enemy B-airs and retreating F-airs. Oh and I usually use the control stick over the X and Y buttons for jumping I just find it easier to SH and do stuff that way.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I use C-stick the vast majority of the time. If I want to FF a Bair or something, I'll jump using X then move my thumb knuckle to the C-stick. I like to do a lot of rising aerials as well, so I use Tap Jump Up and then C-stick forward or backwards, so yeah, I still can input the jump and attack command at the same time while maintaining control over all of my aerial mobility.

Wow, I'm surprised no other Wolfs use the Tap Jump + C-stick combination. It's so helpful for retreating and advancing crap, I feel like I have a ton of control.

Oh, and by the way, GC Controller, default controls ^_^

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I used to use tap jump but it's irritating to short hop with for me and I can perform some different techniques with it off.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I use C-stick for more control in the air with most moves. But with F-air it depends, if I'm looking for approaching with it I use Y to A but if I'm retreating with it, I use L(Set to jump) and C-stick.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
If you do C-stick and Tap Jump at the sametime (And move somewhere with the control stick) then you automatically SH.
I know that, but if you learn to do that with just Y to A then it's the same thing. I find it annoying to use my utilt with tap jump on, and I can do the upsmash while in shield with it off. It just helps me personally, do what makes it comfortable for you.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman

Go away.

I've been messing around with different controls to see what works. I may try clawing with defaults next, but my current control scheme (Z jump, X grab) makes it pretty easy to C-stick aerials. You can do 0-Lag Fairs jumping in any direction after getting used to it, though I still use the A button if I'm going forward out of habit.

Top Bottom