• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A TOs perspective on venue fee whiners.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I got this in the right section, and if not, I apologize.

So now that I've run a few tournaments, I have to say that it's been a mixed bag of emotions. I think I got a little ahead of myself and didn't do enough research ahead of time for my FIRST tournament, but each subsequent one has been better and better and I'm confident in my ability to run just about any tournament for any game now. I've been having a lot of mixed feelings about running more though, and a lot of it has to do with the community. On one hand, the community is very helpful, and a lot more friendly than most other fighting game communities, but on the other hand they're horribly self entitled and borderline rude about said entitlements.

A little history on me. My name is Alex and I run a Smash group in Charlotte, North Carolina called Melee Misadventures. Although I probably shouldn't disclose this information, after my experience running tournaments in this community I have to say that I feel no real urge to continue doing it, so I'm not particularly worried about losing any following or whatever. It seems a lot easier to just be a player since the community makes being a TO a horrible experience.

I started out running tournaments at my local game store, and I actually picked up Melee completely by accident while working there. I was working one afternoon and a guy came in trying to sell all of his Gamecube stuff. We aren't a video game store, we only sell trading cards and board games, but the guy seemed like he really needed the money so I just bought it and decided to hook it up in the store since we had some guys who would bring their kids to the store with them when they played Friday Night Magic. (It went over well, the kids now spend Friday evenings racing each other in Double Dash instead of bothering patrons.)

It came with a smattering of games, including some actual treasures including Mario Kart Double Dash, the collector's edition discs for The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, but most importantly, Super Smash Brothers Melee. I didn't realize how badly I had ripped him off at the time, since I was pretty unfamiliar with the prices of that stuff. I got the whole box for $50. I decided to put in Melee because it was on top of the stack, and then weeks later I somehow randomly found myself at my first tournament. I honestly can't say how the game managed to pull me on so hard and so quickly, but alas it had.

Here in Charlotte there is a game store called Save Point that specializes in vintage games and gaming accessories, and they run weekly Smash tournaments. HOWEVER, they do it very poorly, only allowing flatscreen TVs and making everyone stand the entire time. On top of those two things, the retail space is VERY small and there's always 50+ people, so it gets VERY hot inside and smells horrendous. It was an overall negative experience and I considered giving up the game after seeing such a poor display, but instead a friend said "Why don't you just do your own tournaments but do them right?"

So next thing I knew, I was scouting out CRTs at Salvation Army and Gamecubes on Craigslist. I eventually was happy once I had 5 entire setups, all of which ended up costing me something like $300~ after all was said and done. Not bad considering what I got to start out with. I planned to recoup the costs eventually anyway, so it was alright.

Flash forward to my first tournament. I fumbled a lot. After coming from a background of playing Magic: The Gathering I tried to run the tournament in the same manner, including the prize pool, because I simply wasn't aware there was some kind of uniform way to do it. I ended up taking 20% of the pool for venue (basically to recoup my costs) and that didn't go over well. The guys were very understanding since they knew it was my first tournament, and I learned that lesson quickly. The next tournament was not going to be the same.

Second tournament was a REALLY big difference in turnout, the first one having about 15 players, the second having almost 30. I advertised the venue fee and pool pots on the page pretty heavily. ($5/$5) Despite this, many people turned up with literally only $5 in their pockets and claimed to have not seen this, or claimed that they weren't paying a venue fee. I felt like this was unacceptable and turned them away. After this initial issue, I spent the rest of the tournament listening to multiple people complain about the venue fee and the fact that they didn't get "free food" or anything out of it. Instead of pocketing the venue fee (which I strongly considered doing after the blatant negativity I experienced since it really turned me off of running future tournaments) I instead put it in a savings account, which I later used to buy more setups for the group. I figured this was just the fairest way to do things, because honestly I was terrified of pissing off the people coming to my tournaments, but honestly after the last experience I don't feel it's worth it to even run tourneys anymore because people are, to be blunt, horribly ungrateful.

This trend has continued for the last couple of tournaments, and to be honest, it shouldn't be this way. Smash is the only community I've ever experienced this attitude in, and that's saying a lot since I've played a lot of different trading card games, video games, and smaller communities like Chess.

These points are just how I feel about the subject. They're in no particular order of importance.

Venues are not free.
That **** costs money. You can't just walk into a business and demand to use their space for free, they're going to charge you for it. It's been a real struggle for me to find one that doesn't charge, and if I hadn't been running the tournaments at my place of employment, I probably wouldn't have been able to offer them so cheap. (I was doing $5 venue, $5 per pot.) If I had to pay for a venue I would have to charge more because there are other costs associated with running a tournament that people don't consider. Just outside of the setups I purchased, I've also had to buy a number of other things to run tournaments such as tables, chairs, a lockbox for the money, power bars, extension cables, etc. Not every venue has this stuff readily available, sometimes you need to purchase them, and someone needs to pay for it because it shouldn't be the burden of the solely the TO.

As a tournament organizer, you SHOULD make a few bucks.
Running a tournament is a LOT of work. If it wasn't, you could all run your own at your leisure, and if you have a problem with venue fees I encourage you to do so. My tournaments usually eat up my entire Sunday (my only day off) as well as the Saturday evening before that for setup. Not to mention having to find a venue, schedule it, moving all the stuff TO the venue, putting in time promotion the tournament...it's a lot to do. And that's just stuff you have to do BEFORE the actual tournament, I'm not even going to get into how much of a headache it can be to herd Smash players. (AKA run the tournament itself.) If you aren't willing to put in all of that work, you have absolutely no right to complain that someone wants to make a few bucks off of you. I do less work at my actual job than I do running a Smash tournament.

The TO gets to watch everyone around him have a good time while he works.
Running a multi-game event takes a lot of book keeping, and SOMEONE has to do it. We pay book keepers in the real world, why wouldn't you have to pay for this? A few bucks for literally hours of stress-free Smash is not a very steep tax. When I run my tournaments, I'm so busy keeping up with the brackets that there would be no conceivable way that I could play in the tournament myself. So basically I'm just sitting in a chair behind a counter pointing people towards their opponents for 6+ hours. I'm clearly not doing this for my own sake, I'm doing it for yours. Show some appreciation.

Smash is the only community that does this.
None of the other game communities I've ever been a part of have had this problem. Showing up to a Magic tournament can cost you anywhere between $5 to $40 depending on the size and levity, and people fork that over without question. I've run Invitational Qualifiers for Magic that have made the store $2k+ just off of entry fees alone, while only paying out their maximum prize pool of $1k. Nobody complained about it. Why? Because Magic players understand that the game is a game of privilege, not entitlement. Smash tournaments are a privilege to you. You are not entitled to them.

The TO doesn't owe you anything.
Sure, you showed up to their tournament and they really appreciate that, but they aren't in your debt. You showed up to Arbys but they don't owe you a roast beef sandwich. You have to pay for it. People who complain about having to buy concessions immediately make me think of this scenario. Just because you paid a venue fee does not entitle you to food or drink. I ran into this at my last tournament and it pissed me off a lot because I advertised on the event page "If you bring food or drinks for everyone, if you bring me the receipt, I'll waive that much off of your venue fee." Nobody brought ANYTHING, and then ******* at me for not giving them free sodas or ordering pizza. This was actually my way of partially conceding to the venue fee whiners, and they still contributed nothing. How is that even in the least bit fair?

And above all else, you want your TO to run more tournaments.
Nobody is going to go through all of that hassle for no incentive. While I find it fulfilling to give a bunch of people something to do with their Sunday, it would be infinitely easier for me to stay at my house and play League of Legends in my underwear. And after what I've seen, I'm considering doing just that. When I started writing this I wanted to try and remain objective, but there isn't really anything objective about the subject matter.

tl;dr: Having the mentality that tournament organizers should not make money is going to do nothing but harm the community going forward. People don't want to do a bunch of work for no reward, you have to make it worth it even for the guy running locals.

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Stuff costs money. Do people honestly think the funds to rent a venue just appear out of nowhere? Plus, like BOBs said, being a TO is a ton of work. They deserve more than they make IMO, but that's a different discussion for a different day. :p

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
See, I was okay just breaking even on my investment at first, and probably would have continued to be okay with it, but people with their crappy attitudes ruined it for me. Why am I going to run tournaments for people who don't appreciate them? I appreciate League in my underwear.

Narpas_sword

Running a tournament is a LOT of work. If it wasn't, you could all run your own at your leisure, and if you have a problem with venue fees I encourage you to do so. My tournaments usually eat up my entire Sunday (my only day off) as well as the Saturday evening before that for setup. Not to mention having to find a venue, schedule it, moving all the stuff TO the venue, putting in time promotion the tournament...it's a lot to do. And that's just stuff you have to do BEFORE the actual tournament, I'm not even going to get into how much of a headache it can be to herd Smash players. (AKA run the tournament itself.) If you aren't willing to put in all of that work, you have absolutely no right to complain that someone wants to make a few bucks off of you. I do less work at my actual job than I do running a Smash tournament and my job pays me a ****ing wage.

Utterly disagree with this.
If it's a burden to you instead of a hobby, don't do it.
if you consider it more work than your job, you either have a beast job i'm jealous of, or you don't find smash fun.

Last edited:

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
That is exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Finding Smash fun has literally nothing to do with it since I don't actually get to play Smash when I run tournaments. ;)

Gea

Smash Master
A lot of your issues stem from the age groups and history of the scene. Smash has traditionally been poverty ridden since the age groups were so young. It's gotten older in the past few years. Additionally, a lot of players are not conditioned properly for expectations.

Though saying you deserve to be compensated for the job of being TO is something I'm less comfortable agreeing with.

My advice to you is to start up a series from scratch using your current resources and be consistent as hell. Make your personal profit off of the selling of food. Recruit a few friends to help with the running of the event. Of course it's easy to guffaw at a TO that is a substantial portion of the pot. Entry fee = pot. Venue fee = straight to venue. Smart sells = your pocket so you can improve your tournament.

People do act like children because they are on the whole still financially dependent. That isn't mean, it's the truth! Keep clear structure and remain consistent. People WILL come despite their whining if you offer the best tournaments in town. There will always be complainers. People will always try to circumvent the rules and be cheapskates. Being consistent and fair = more people on your side = less problems.

If you're putting out information make it clear that you need a minimum of 10 bucks to get in + 5 for any additional events. In the additional fine print break down what the 10 goes to. Those who care will read, those who won't show up with 10 bucks. Word of mouth kills you otherwise. "How much is it to enter?" "5 bucks"

Last edited:

Fenor

Smash Rookie
the trick here is easy don't put 5/5 as a formula. say "getting in one tournament is 10$ any other tournament is another 5$" this way people can't complain. it change the name but thing remain. the only tournament at are free are heavy sponsored.

people think that tournament inside conventions are free.... well you pay to get inside so they are not free.

really in smash it's the only community that i've head whining about TO taking a cut (even if small) of the entry fee.

i'm thankful that in my own area we don't have this kind of problems.

Narpas_sword

That is exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Finding Smash fun has literally nothing to do with it since I don't actually get to play Smash when I run tournaments. ;)
Then if it's only playing you find fun, play.

For the record, when i was fresh out of highschool on min wage, i used to drive 2 hours to another city to TO.
The group quickly became friends.
i never took money for myself. all entrance fees were for the venue hire and bills etc.

I had a fantastic time hanging out with people who are now friends. getting to know their smash community, and seeing people grow as players.

I got to play myself, as i could enter and trust friends i made to set up matches while i was in my match.
Never did i consider it a burden, i loved it and looked forward to the next tourney happening the next month.

now i host a small group in my own house. $5 entry fee gets us all pizza for the night.
once the scene in my new city starts growing we'll spread to a larger venue, and ill get to enjoy TOing all over again.

You're basically being a volunteer coach for your kids sports game, then going "where the **** is my money?" to the other parents.

Last edited:

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
Though saying you deserve to be compensated for the job of being TO is something I'm less comfortable agreeing with.
I mean, to put is simply, when was the last time you worked for 8+ hours with no compensation for people you barely know?

Narpas_sword

never 'worked' without pay.

but i don't consider volunteering work.

TBH bro, you sound like a sad sack whiner yourself. Probably not the best person to have as a TO anyway.
TO need to be people who enjoy giving their time to the community.

Last edited:

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
never 'worked' without pay.

but i don't consider volunteering work.

TBH bro, you sound like a sad sack whiner yourself. Probably not the best person to have as a TO anyway.
TO need to be people who enjoy giving their time to the community.
Nice ninja edit. Not all of us are martyrs like Jesus Christ. There are plenty of other communities I can get involved in that will appreciate the service, this one hasn't.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
Can i ask you this, and get you to answer honestly.
Why do you do it?

also, wasn't a ninja edit, was an incomplete thought.
I was in a position to do it and the community here didn't have that much action. I would still be doing it too if the community weren't so openly anti-TO. If you want volunteers, don't treat them like garbage. If you want to treat them like garbage, pay them. You don't get both.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

I was in a position to do it and the community here didn't have that much action. I would still be doing it too if the community weren't so openly anti-TO. If you want volunteers, don't treat them like garbage. If you want to treat them like garbage, pay them. You don't get both.
In my experience, when a group of people all dislike one person. it is very rarely the groups fault.
What did you do to make them 'anti-TO'?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thanks for taking it upon yourself to host events. It really is an often thankless task.

I have a few pieces of advice:

Communicate Clearly

If you only have 1 event, always state the price as "$10 (includes $5 venue fee)"; your problem is one of miscommunication. As much as you are in the right and any misunderstanding is on them, communication is still always a two-way street.

Entitlement is just one (correct) way to look at it. Imagine if your poster said the venue fee was $10, or if it said the venue fee was $5 in extremely tiny text. They'd have the right to be mad!

Yeah, it's definitely their fault that they don't understand what a venue fee is. But as you well know, sometimes adults have to go the extra mile in explaining things to children and customers.

Also, usually TOs ask participants to bring setups, with enough communication before hand to expect the number of setups that will be present. I understand how if you are being personally forced to buy all the setups yourself, this is an asinine cost that is hard to mitigate.

I'm not suggesting you do things differently, but recognize that for most tourneys that gamers have had experience with, this cost is not an issue. Either people bring their own, a gaming store already has them, or it's a game that needs no setups like MtG. Be aggressively public about communicating the costs the event faced, so that your players won't make false assumptions about how cheap the event was to organize.

Set an Appropriate Venue Fee (Ratio)

A 50% pot, 50% venue fee is a jarring split for many participants. ("What, half the money is going to the TO? And we don't even get food?") Even as an experienced TO with an understanding of all that is involved, I'd view that as "an inefficient investment."

If you want to cap admission at $10, try to keep venue fee down to $3 or less -OR- offer food. People much prefer getting something to nothing (this is one reason draft card game formats are so popular), and pizza does wonders for mood. Since ordering pizza in bulk is very cost effective, you can feed the masses for much less than it would cost them to get the same lunch individually.

There's a short checklist of stuff to make sure you have under control if you are going to do food (plates/napkins, appropriate space, garbage, be extra clear in advance how much everyone gets, make sure the right amount is ordered), but it's ultimately an effective tactic.

It's clear you both cared about the game and community (enough to host events!) but had a sour experience with a few entitled brats who don't understand how the real world works. I hope that with reflection and time the weight of the latter will subside and that if you continue to host more events in the future, you can take this experience you craft even better events for your community that everyone will enjoy even more. Even the spoiled brats.

"But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped." - Masahiro Sakurai

Last edited:

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
In my experience, when a group of people all dislike one person. it is very rarely the groups fault.
What did you do to make them 'anti-TO'?
Nice try, but it wasn't that anybody disliked me or any of the staff at the store, (they don't know any of us enough) they were just bratty. Part of it very well may have been that they're socially awkward manchildren, but that's not an excuse to openly disrespect people who are doing you a service.

It's clear you both cared about the game and community (enough to host events!) but had a sour experience with a few entitled brats who don't understand how the real world works. I hope that with reflection and time the weight of the latter will subside and that if you continue to host more events in the future, you can take this experience you craft even better events for your community that everyone will enjoy even more. Even the spoiled brats.
We're going to continue to allow people to use the space for friendlies, but I decided to stop putting in the effort of organizing and running tournaments for them. I don't hold any ill will towards the offenders, I don't know they well enough to know their whole situation or why they acted the way they did, but I deal with plenty of socially inept manchildren who play Magic that aren't that rude. I still love the game and I did meet some people I liked while playing it, but overall I was unimpressed with the local community, and hopefully my stepping down will hint them at the fact that they need to shape up, because tournaments around here are getting scarce.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Having such thinly veiled disdain for the crowd of people you're hosting, like those apparently friendly Magic players, certainly doesn't help matters. Better for them you aren't involved if that really is the attitude you're harboring. It will still show even if you believe you're good at hiding it in your limited interactions.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In a community as grassroots as ours is, TOing is volunteer work. Sure, the venue costs money, but if it's costing you more than a $5 venue fee would cover, the cost of the venue is not worth it or there are too few people coming to justify hosting the event there. Always "shop around" if you can; I know it can be difficult finding a place that will let you take up space without requiring too much money from you.

Any money made on venue fees past the original cost should go back to the players, whether it goes into the overall pot, funding a free side event, saving money for the next event if it is a series, or a modest food fund (a few packs of hot dogs in a crockpot is an inexpensive way to keep most people happy, in my experience). There's no reason you should be pocketing money from it, IMO (not saying you were, but, as a general statement, and the general "you").

As for not entering the tournament you host, with as good a group as I've worked with, I've never understood why this sentiment exists. I've always had a couple of trustworthy people willing to watch the bracket for a bit while I play. My events have historically been in the ballpark of 30 people, and I've never had a problem with getting friends to help me here and there; it's not like you or anyone else is putting the entire experience on hold for ages at a time. In the same way, stressing the importance of having people in the community bring set-ups is also imperative so that you don't have to incur tremendous costs leading up to it (and also so you don't have to lug around six televisions wherever you go). The community is usually quite helpful in this respect as long as you stress the great need for set-ups.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
^ sounds to me like he doesn't enter his own tournaments because he doesn't play Smash in the first place, but I could be wrong.

I don't think it's so valuable that we are such a grassroot community. Sure, the atmosphere is much better than in bigger communities (*cough* league of legends *cough*), but in my region in example, we have about one tourney every two months or so. We rarely have more than 30 attendees, and the top 5 is already stale after less than 1 year. I often have to drive two and a half hours to get to a more active region. I don't think my scene is healthy at all.
And why don't I host tournaments ? I would, I already have by leeching off of other games' events and just bringing a few PM setups and running it myself. But I'm poor and can't afford the risk to lose any money at the moment. I'm also very busy with school and other projects, I don't have a lot of free time so I like to make it count. If there was financial incentive for me to host tournaments, I would. It's a lot of work but I'm the most qualified in my region to do it.

It's a lose-lose situation and I seriously doubt that we should hang onto this unwritten rule.

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
In a community as grassroots as ours is, TOing is volunteer work.
As someone who has been hosting tournaments on a weekly basis for the last year and on a bi-annual basis for the 7 years before that, I agree with this.

My community up here in WC Canada understands when a venue fee is put in place to cover the venue fee, and we've always been fully transparent about our funds and we reallocate any cash overflow towards the pot once the venue fee is met. Recently we've centralized as a university club so we get a free venue we can utilize on a weekly basis which has been really successful.

Nobody is going to go through all of that hassle for no incentive.
I find it fun, you make a lot of friends, and you become a community leader that everyone respects, admires, supports, and even emulates. I'm confident when I say that I have a positive influence on many of my community members that it has motivated players to start local communities and clubs in neighboring cities and towns, and even high schools and other post-secondary institutions with a similar mentality of volunteerism. This position is especially popular with players who may not top contenders, but love the community and have more fun TOing and playing friendlies than competing (my community has a fair share of players like this). People like this may be few and far between but they're there and I think they really represent what makes the Smash community so intimate, close-knit, and one-of-a-kind.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
^ sounds to me like he doesn't enter his own tournaments because he doesn't play Smash in the first place, but I could be wrong.

I don't think it's so valuable that we are such a grassroot community. Sure, the atmosphere is much better than in bigger communities (*cough* league of legends *cough*), but in my region in example, we have about one tourney every two months or so. We rarely have more than 30 attendees, and the top 5 is already stale after less than 1 year. I often have to drive two and a half hours to get to a more active region. I don't think my scene is healthy at all.
And why don't I host tournaments ? I would, I already have by leeching off of other games' events and just bringing a few PM setups and running it myself. But I'm poor and can't afford the risk to lose any money at the moment. I'm also very busy with school and other projects, I don't have a lot of free time so I like to make it count. If there was financial incentive for me to host tournaments, I would. It's a lot of work but I'm the most qualified in my region to do it.

It's a lose-lose situation and I seriously doubt that we should hang onto this unwritten rule.
I do play Smash, I used to play every day when I was still in school, but when I moved to Charlotte the scene was dead so I did something about it.

There are a few fundamental things wrong with "Get your friends to help you so that you can play," one of the biggest ones being that I am an employee of a store and I can't have people I don't really know wandering around behind the counter. (Where the computer is.) It isn't worth getting fired over. The second being in all of my tournaments, people have never had to do anything. ANYTHING. They don't even have to bring setups, I have enough to cover the whole event. They don't have to run brackets because I handle it. They don't even have to find their setups for their match because I rotate them in time with other matches so that there is little to no waiting time. I might be okay with getting food for people if they had any part in actually making the event happen, but I did all of the footwork and ponied up financially to make sure that there wasn't the "grassroots" feel where people are bringing their own ****.

Plus, how the hell is the community grassroots? There are HUGE tournaments for it just like many other fighting games, none of which have this same problem. When I was playing BB, Tekken, MvC and Soul Calibur this never came up even once, and some of those communities are even smaller. That's hardly an excuse. In fact, this is exactly the type of attitude that's holding the community back as far as growth. If the community refuses to monetize the events, no big tournament circuit is going to arise and you're just going to continue to be underground.

I think one of the above posters may really just have hit the nail on the head. Financially unstable college kids are not the best group of people to try and pander to in this regard because they always feel like they should be taken care of.

Last edited:

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
I find it fun, you make a lot of friends, and you become a community leader that everyone respects, admires, supports, and even emulates. I'm confident when I say that I have a positive influence on many of my community members that it has motivated players to start local communities and clubs in neighboring cities and towns, and even high schools and other post-secondary institutions with a similar mentality of volunteerism. This position is especially popular with players who may not top contenders, but love the community and have more fun TOing and playing friendlies than competing (my community has a fair share of players like this). People like this may be few and far between but they're there and I think they really represent what makes the Smash community so intimate, close-knit, and one-of-a-kind.
It's different when you play at a college, where your venue is basically already payed for by your tuition. I played in a lot of free tournaments when I was going to UF, but when you are playing at a place of business, you have to be respectful of the fact that there are costs incurred, and that the business needs to make money off of you. People will argue that the costs of running a tournament are negligible, but that's hardly true. If there's an employee of the business on site running things, they need to be paid their wage. If they aren't profitable, why be open?

In our case, why would we run a Smash tournament where we lose money on a Sunday when we could just as easily run an Invitational Qualifier that nets the store profit? There's no way I'm going to convince the store owner to go for the former.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What's behind the counter that can't be done elsewhere? Bring a laptop for the bracket and keep any money in a lockbox/your pocket.

It sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about the people you say you're pandering to. People will help if you ask them to, if you say that they have to in order for things to run smoothly. I know that as a competitor, I want the tournament to run smoothly so that the event ends before midnight. That includes bracket stuff; that includes set-ups. If you're hosting tournaments at a game store, it's not going to feel "professional" no matter what you do, nor does anyone really care, so I would tell you to reach out as much as you can.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
I didn't make that assumption, someone else did, but it certainly seems pretty true.

There are two options the Smash scene has: continue to stay underground and refuse to grow, or pony up and get bigger. A large tournament scene isn't going to arise out of nowhere, and if you expect it to, you're going to be playing in game stores for the foreseeable future.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
Example: "Grassroots" tournaments for Magic went on for over a decade. Starcitygames comes in and sees the potential for a huge tournament circuit, monetizes it, and now it is one of the biggest tournament circuits of any non-professional sport. They make theirs, players get to play on a bigger stage, and the symbiosis continues to grow both the community and the business.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
And you're not a part of any of that. I don't care about whether or not it hits the big stage, but piddly events in a game store aren't going to change that no matter how much money you personally put into it. I would recommend hosting to host. :/

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
And you're not a part of any of that. I don't care about whether or not it hits the big stage, but piddly events in a game store aren't going to change that no matter how much money you personally put into it. I would recommend hosting to host. :/
Starcitygames was just one piddly game store too, and they still are. ;) They also run the biggest national tournament circuit for a game that's much less cost-intensive to run. Xanadu is just a game store too, can't imagine why VGBC would want to stream tournaments there.

Once Smash moves out of the dorms it'll be capable of that too, maybe I'll try again in a year or two once the scene realizes that things in the real world cost money.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you're gonna make a thread with the purpose of ******** about the community, there's a good chance you're not gonna do a lot of good for them.

See you in a year or two, perhaps. Unsubscribing from this thread.

Last edited:

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
As someone old enough to have been looking for a room to rent I know that renting things costs money.because of this it blows my mind you got people to actually say they wouldn't pay venue fee. Are you sure you advertized the fees as properly as you think?

As for tos making profit, I don't consider it a requirement for a to to get payed for his services since he is hosting the tourney because he wants to help his/her local scene. Tournaments like evo or apex are different. smash isn't their only game and their main goal is not to improve upon the local scene. I do find the setups you bought specifically for this something you can eventually break out of this in costs but that's where it ends, for the rest profit should not be your goal when you decide on a venue fee. Playing it safe on the costs should be.

I'm personally not a to yet. (my first tournament is in December and until I held it I'm not a to yet I think)

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I don't mind paying a Venue fee. I just want to pay to play (aka- pay to enter tournaments). But I sometimes suck it up. I don't complain. I kinda wish there were more tournaments where you don't have to pay to enter a tournament but you have to pay the venue fee. If anyone knows what I mean.

D

Deleted member

as a mtg player, we kinda understand that the game is a money pit. smash is not and hasn't been since formal big tournaments started in 2002. i get where you're coming from to make the comparison, but it's just not the same. also it's kind of understood that game stores have to make money due to their permanence, no such quality for one-time event tournaments. i've hosted two smaller regional tournaments in PA and i didn't and never would charge venue fee.

i'll buy that copy of crystal chronicles off you tho

Last edited by a moderator:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Man, I was contemplating making a thread about running events with a pricing model that utilizes both a venue fee AND a house cut for administrative purposes.

Probably not going to make the thread discussing it, but still probably going to do the model.

SmokedCarpenter

Smash Cadet
I felt for you in your initial post dude.....but your replies are letting your butthurt league of legends 12 year old attitude show ;) (yes I have one of those too....)

Anyways

I find it completely unacceptable that people who showed up to this event were rude enough to complain about the fee or straight up refuse to pay it, yet demand entry anyway.

To all tournament goers here are some things to keep in mind:

First, a general rule in life is to carry more money than you expect to need as a precaution.

Second, the fee is the fee whether you think it is fair or not. It is the TO's tournament, not yours. If you don't like how your money is being spent do not attend the tournament. If you want food then buy your own damn food or ask in advance if food is covered in the fee. This is basic human interaction, it's not hard.

If you were confused about the entry fee politely let the TO know that you expected the fee to be $5 instead of $10 and he should be more clear in the future, BUT PAY THE 10 ANYWAY BECAUSE THAT IS THE DAMN FEE REGARDLESS OF MISS-COMMUNICATIONS.

Giving the TO constructive criticism to work with to improve his tournaments in the future is one thing, whining that he is being selfish and his entry fee is stupid is unacceptable.

I believe a TO should be reimbursed for whatever costs he put into setting up the event through venue/entry fees. I believe that the participants should be the ones paying to use the venue, it should not come out of the TO's pocket. However, I do believe that being a TO at a local tourney is ultimately a volunteer job that you should be willing to do for the sake of the game that you love. Making a few extra bucks is fine, but don't expect to make enough to pay your bills. Bigger sponsored tournaments are a different subject entirely. Edit: This paragraph uses "I believe" way too much and I don't want to fix it, so deal. ;)

TL:DR don't be a ****. That goes for both TO's and participants.

Last edited:

kalvar

Smash Rookie
I agree with you 100%. I have never TO'd a (serious) tourny, but after how many I have attended I know how much hard work it is for all involved. Many of the ones I go to offer to waver the venue fee for entrants who bring a full set-up, which I see as fair as having more set ups makes a tournament run smoother/faster. However, anyone who does not contribute by bringing a set up or any other deal the TO may or may not have (note; not implying that a TO must/should have a policy like this, it's reasonable but people should not be shocked/appalled if not) most certainly should have to pay a venue fee, to expect the tournament to be run for essentially free is simply ridiculous.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Fight Pitt 1-4 TO checking in here. Everything you wrote in the OP is 100% spot on. I might have made some errors, particularly during Fight Pitt 4, but goddamn if I don't agree with the sentiment that being a TO is a really draining endeavor. So much so that I refuse to do it anymore.

On a side note, I'm not on the FP5 staff, but I do have some backroom perspective. The amount of people who are getting pissed off about paid preregistration is hilarious.

One thing you didn't mention is that some of the community is really uncooperative. Sitting and playing friendlies after being told (and sometimes even kicked off) setups. Not bringing setups (the PM scene is guilty of that in my region, although my region has undue animosity towards PM). People showing up an hour late and getting pissed that I cut off registration.

Honestly it's kind of a wonder that people put up with this.

Last edited:

DeLux

Having run like 100+ locals and a dozen or so regionals/super regionals with similar problems as the OP, it almost seems worth it to sort of come up with an established written TO Bill of Rights/Community Norms. Solidarity

Last edited:

Dr.Boz

Smash Rookie
I don't know if I got this in the right section, and if not, I apologize.

So now that I've run a few tournaments, I have to say that it's been a mixed bag of emotions. I think I got a little ahead of myself and didn't do enough research ahead of time for my FIRST tournament, but each subsequent one has been better and better and I'm confident in my ability to run just about any tournament for any game now. I've been having a lot of mixed feelings about running more though, and a lot of it has to do with the community. On one hand, the community is very helpful, and a lot more friendly than most other fighting game communities, but on the other hand they're horribly self entitled and borderline rude about said entitlements.

A little history on me. My name is Alex and I run a Smash group in Charlotte, North Carolina called Melee Misadventures. Although I probably shouldn't disclose this information, after my experience running tournaments in this community I have to say that I feel no real urge to continue doing it, so I'm not particularly worried about losing any following or whatever. It seems a lot easier to just be a player since the community makes being a TO a horrible experience.

I started out running tournaments at my local game store, and I actually picked up Melee completely by accident while working there. I was working one afternoon and a guy came in trying to sell all of his Gamecube stuff. We aren't a video game store, we only sell trading cards and board games, but the guy seemed like he really needed the money so I just bought it and decided to hook it up in the store since we had some guys who would bring their kids to the store with them when they played Friday Night Magic. (It went over well, the kids now spend Friday evenings racing each other in Double Dash instead of bothering patrons.)

It came with a smattering of games, including some actual treasures including Mario Kart Double Dash, the collector's edition discs for The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, but most importantly, Super Smash Brothers Melee. It was a pretty good deal for $50, which I was unaware of at the time since I just blindly bought the box. I decided to put in Melee because it was on top of the stack, and then weeks later I somehow randomly found myself at my first tournament. I honestly can't say how the game managed to pull me on so hard and so quickly, but alas it had.

Here in Charlotte there is a game store called Save Point that specializes in vintage games and gaming accessories, and they run weekly Smash tournaments. HOWEVER, they do it very poorly, only allowing flatscreen TVs and making everyone stand the entire time. On top of those two things, the retail space is VERY small and there's always 50+ people, so it gets VERY hot inside and smells horrendous. It was an overall negative experience and I considered giving up the game after seeing such a poor display, but instead a friend said "Why don't you just do your own tournaments but do them right?"

So next thing I knew, I was scouting out CRTs at Salvation Army and Gamecubes on Craigslist. I eventually was happy once I had 5 entire setups, all of which ended up costing me something like $300~ after all was said and done. Not bad considering what I got to start out with. I planned to recoup the costs eventually anyway, so it was alright.

Flash forward to my first tournament. I fumbled a lot. After coming from a background of playing Magic: The Gathering I tried to run the tournament as such, including the prize pool, because I simply wasn't aware there was some kind of uniform way to do it. I ended up taking 20% of the pool for venue (basically to recoup my costs) and that didn't go over well. The guys were very understanding since they knew it was my first tournament, and I learned that lesson quickly. The next tournament was not going to be the same.

Second tournament was a REALLY big difference in turnout, the first one having about 15 players, the second having almost 30. I advertised the venue fee and pool pots on the page pretty heavily. ($5/$5) Despite this, many people turned up with literally only $5 in their pockets and claimed to have not seen this, or claimed that they weren't paying a venue fee. I felt like this was unacceptable and turned them away. After this initial issue, I spent the rest of the tournament listening to multiple people complain about the venue fee and the fact that they didn't get "free food" or anything out of it. Instead of pocketing the venue fee (which I strongly considered doing after the blatant negativity I experienced since it really turned me off of running future tournaments) I instead put it in a savings account, which I later used to buy more setups for the group. I figured this was just the fairest way to do things, because honestly I was terrified of pissing off the people coming to my tournaments, but honestly after the last experience I don't feel it's worth it to even run tourneys anymore because people are, to be blunt, horribly ungrateful.

This trend has continued for the last couple of tournaments, and to be honest, it shouldn't be this way. Smash is the only community I've ever experienced this attitude in, and that's saying a lot since I've played a lot of different trading card games, video games, and smaller communities like Chess.

Here's exactly why you have no right to complain to TOs about venue fees, especially very reasonable ones.

Venues are not free.
That **** costs money. You can't just walk into a business and demand to use their space for free, they're going to charge you for it. It's been a real struggle for me to find one that doesn't charge, and this is actually the only way I have been able to keep the $5/$5 structure I started out with. If I had to pay for a venue I would have to charge more because there are other costs associated with running a tournament that people don't consider. Just outside of the setups I purchased, I've also had to buy a number of other things to run tournaments such as tables, chairs, a lockbox for the money, power bars, extension cables, etc. Not every venue has this stuff readily available, sometimes you need to purchase them, and someone needs to pay for it because it shouldn't be the burden of the solely the TO.

Running a tournament is a LOT of work. If it wasn't, you could all run your own at your leisure, and if you have a problem with venue fees I encourage you to do so. My tournaments usually eat up my entire Sunday (my only day off) as well as the Saturday evening before that for setup. Not to mention having to find a venue, schedule it, moving all the stuff TO the venue, putting in time promotion the tournament...it's a lot to do. And that's just stuff you have to do BEFORE the actual tournament, I'm not even going to get into how much of a headache it can be to herd Smash players. (AKA run the tournament itself.) If you aren't willing to put in all of that work, you have absolutely no right to complain that someone wants to make a few bucks off of you. I do less work at my actual job than I do running a Smash tournament and my job pays me a ****ing wage.

There are chiefs and there are Indians.
This goes kind of hand-in-hand with the above point. If you aren't willing to lead then you have no right to complain about those who are. There is nothing stopping you from running your own tournaments other than your own unwillingness to do so. There's a laziness tax, and that's your venue fee.

The TO gets to watch everyone around him have a good time while he works.
Running a multi-game event takes a lot of book keeping, and SOMEONE has to do it. We pay book keepers in the real world, why wouldn't you have to pay for this? A few bucks for literally hours of stress-free Smash is not a very steep tax. When I run my tournaments, I'm so busy keeping up with the brackets that there would be no conceivable way that I could play in the tournament myself. So basically I'm just sitting in a chair behind a counter pointing people towards their opponents for 6+ hours. Again, I do less than that at my job for more money. I'm clearly not doing this for my own sake, I'm doing it for yours. Show some appreciation.

Smash is the only community that does this.
None of the other game communities I've ever been a part of have had this problem. Showing up to a Magic tournament can cost you anywhere between $5 to $40 depending on the size and levity, and people fork that over without question. I've run Invitational Qualifiers for Magic that have made the store $2k+ just off of entry fees alone, while only paying out their maximum prize pool of $1k. Nobody complained about it. Why? Because Magic players understand that the game is a game of privilege, not entitlement. Smash tournaments are a privilege to you. You are not entitled to them.

The TO doesn't owe you anything.
Sure, you showed up to their tournament and they really appreciate that, but they aren't in your debt. You showed up to Arbys but they don't owe you a roast beef sandwich. You have to pay for it. People who complain about having to buy concessions immediately make me think of this scenario. Just because you paid a venue fee does not entitle you to food or drink. I ran into this at my last tournament and it pissed me off a lot because I advertised on the event page "If you bring food or drinks for everyone, if you bring me the receipt, I'll waive that much off of your venue fee." Nobody brought ANYTHING, and then *****ed at me for not giving them free sodas or ordering pizza. This was actually my way of partially conceding to the venue fee whiners, and they still contributed nothing. So they really don't want to do any work but want all of the reward? Yeah, no thanks.

And above all else, you want your TO to run more tournaments.
Nobody is going to go through all of that hassle for no incentive. While I find it fulfilling to give a bunch of people something to do with their Sunday, it would be infinitely easier for me to stay at my house and play League of Legends in my underwear. And after what I've seen, I'm considering doing just that. When I started writing this I wanted to try and remain objective, but there isn't really anything objective about the subject matter.

tl;dr: If you are a person who complains about venue fees, you are the reason there are not as many tournaments in your area as you would like.
What are some things I could do as a player to help out my to while not being annoying or anything like that?

Last edited:

DeLux

What are some things I could do as a player to help out my to while not being annoying or anything like that?
First, fulfill your role as a player. Be sportsmanlike, network, and bring something to community. Be on time to your matches.

Otherwise, ask them what you could do for help situation by situation. Be alright with it if they don't need/want help.

I REALLY love your attitude. That is perhaps the best first post I've ever seen on this site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom