• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A top MK's input on MK's worst matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKD

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think there may still be hope for Brawl's metagame outside of banning the current god tier. So here's my input.

Meta Knight is overplayed at the point we know all of his strengths against other characters and two people are already playing as MK at top level: Azen and M2K. I think some characters would be interesting to see vs MK at top level.

MK's worst matchups (which means arguably even, or slight advantage in his favor in MK's case):

Total: 6
G&W, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Wario, Snake

Mr. Game & Watch: Because he generally outranges MK and if played well, his only real concern is sweetspotting that downsmash of his.

Kirby: Backair's sweetspot may not be disjointed, but Kirby's foot makes its appearance in a way that makes it hit MK, while getting hit by only one of MK's hits, which is bad for MK, having his most common moves be multihit-based. Kirby's recovery is slightly worse than Meta Knight's, but Kirby IS slightly better at KO'ing onstage...

Marth: A pure block and punish and grabspam game including well spaced dancing blades can outplay most areas of MK's game. I've seen this to the point where it ultimately becomes about spotdodging, but it may not be so...Marth may still have more trouble KO'ing because of his recovery though, but it's a winnable matchup for him, as it is for...

Fox: Nair spam, downthrows, blaster spam. Basically all Fox needs to do is full hop fastfall nairs, follow them up by blocking, in case MK attacks grab, if he stays airborn go for him with nair, which beats his dair most of the time. And making him come to Fox by spamming blaster. If MK shields, Fox can retreat or fall through him. If MK goes to the air, Fox can fastfall airdodge through him and utilt/shieldgrab. Fox can get pressured offstage and edgeguarded. But a killer usmash at 84% and a grab release into dashing upsmash (two pummel hits, then let him grab release) if he tries to force the grab release, make Fox one of the best characters to play against Meta Knight. If we're talking about disadvantaged but winnable, let's go to the next ones:

Snake: We all know about grenade camping and pivot grabbing. Jabs, ftilt, everything works here. Snake is good, but can get gimped or harshly damaged while trying to recover, which can happen from the start, and although he can last long, he has an extremely hard time if he's down a stock, being unable to make comebacks.

Wario: Spacingwise, damagewise, a solid character in this matchup. He's outprioritized, which Wario players get around easily, but he's also outranged, and if the MK player doesn't mess up his tornadoes or doesn't shuttle loop enough, he leaves fewer openings for you to KO him, than for him to KO you at higher percents.

COUNTERS AND MAYBE'S

Yoshi in Smashville/FD: I really doubt Yoshi will be played at top level anytime soon. But his high priority upair and upsmash, and grab release setups into killer downB at 90%, dash into usmash at 115%, or more grabs into a spike that KOs at 60% makes Yoshi possibly viable, mostly in stages that lack platforms. He has range and priority trouble when MK is on the ground and when he is above MK...which are two different scenarios, since both can be on the ground at the same time, and retreating fair does beat Yoshi's dashgrab...so I think this matchup will never be good for Yoshi.

The Maybe pile: Needs research (3 ATM)
Sheik, Olimar, Zero Suit Samus

Stage dependant (Not Recommended):
FD: Bowser, Diddy Kong
Jungle Japes: Maybe Falco. Maybe.
Pirate Ship: Needs research (far away blast zones =D)!

All characters stated here (except Falco, Bowser and Diddy Kong) should be argued, tested and waited for, since so far, they seem to be the ones MK can have the most trouble against. One or two of those may be even matchups. Disfavorable matchups for MK, I don't really think so. But who knows. I made this thread to help the community find a decent MK counter (if there is one) anyway.

Thanks for reading.

TKD

Smash Lord
(Reserving for editting)

Matchup odds currently stated:

Main
MK 5/5 G&W
MK 6/4 Kirby
MK 6/4 Marth
MK 7/3 Fox
MK 6/4 Wario
MK 6/4 Snake

Main/Counter
MK 6/4 Yoshi (4/6 FD, SV)

Counter
MK 6/4 Bowser (5.5/4.5 FD)
MK 6/4 Diddy Kong (5/5 FD)
MK 6/4 Falco

Maybe
MK 7/3 Sheik
MK 6/4 Olimar
MK 6/4 Zero Suit Samus

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
You are not a top Metaknight player and this is, for the second time, completely off and all you're doing is complaining. Everyone should ignore this guy.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I have to hand it to you TKD, you're the only member I know that can effectively spam a thread with needless and vastly false information while still attempting to be productive.

Are you still trying to insist this? Seriously. You're not a top Meta Knight player if that is what you're insinuating, and you're the only one perpetuating your opinions. Please stop posting these threads. If you want to help improve anything in the Meta Knight boards, or the community in general, do the proper thing and start individual character discussion threads for the match ups. Don't just throw your opinion into a thread to try and relay it as unbiased fact.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
MK is Marth's worst matchup.

There's a thread on this forum showing how MK >> G&W

The general consensus of everyone is that MK > Fox. It is not equal, nor in Fox's advantage.

Kirby? Wario? Really? Man why don't you go to these character boards and see what THEY think about the matchup. I'll bet you they say it's an uphill battle.

Snake is the only character mentioned that can really give MK trouble. People disagree on MK vs Snake. However this has been researched to death. We know everything Snake can do. We know everything that MK can do. Snake mains claim MK has an advantage. MK mains claim Snake has an advantage. However Snake gets ***** in 2/3 areas (in the air and offstage) against MK. Even if he has a solid advantage on the ground (which he doesn't really), he is at a severe disadvantage when in 2/3 zones of play. Even if 75% of the fight is on the ground, that means that he's only on equal ground with MK for 75% of the time.. and the other 25% he's in an awful position. This doesn't seem like an advantage to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom