• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Quick Samus Tutorial - Advanced Techniques, Quick Tips, and Neat Tricks

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Just a quick little something I made earlier today. It goes over basic things like Missile Canceling and the Super Wavedash, as well as a few little quirks some of you may or may not know about, such as Beam Swap Taunt Canceling and Ice Homing Missiles traveling indefinitely until they come in contact with something.

Might redo the whole thing now since I just realized I left a lot of stuff out, like platform drop missiles and the DSWD.​

Kati

Smash Lord
Don't redo it. Just make a part II. It would be much easier to digest if there were multiple 5 minute segments. This video was very well done, and is a good primer for Samus beginners.

Sarix

Smash Ace
You also forgot Bomb Dashing which is one of Samus's approach mix-ups for opponents on platforms. Otherwise this is a good video.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
You could just label this video as a beginners guide to PM Samus, then make a part two explaining what you left out and perhaps showing the exact timing for things like the SWD as an Advanced Techniques video/part 2.

OidBirdie

Smash Cadet
You should also mention the fact that you can cancel zair on platforms (kind of like the beam switching) in order to avoid the landing lag. This makes it a much safer option, and I think it hasn't been incorporated into playstyles much yet. Good video.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Nah I'd much rather have everything all put into one, with known stuff in the beginning and middle, and newer things that are Project M exclusive towards the end. Really busy with other stuff though so I won't be able to get around to it for a while.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Needs:
SHFFMC
Double Missiles
Rising Grapple
Ftilt/Fsmash Angling
A little bit more about tether mechanics (tether canceling, failure after three tethers, etc.)
Charge canceling to change direction mid-air (also a good opportunity to address b-reversals)
Footsie mechanics like wavedash, pivots, and crawl, and in particular how they apply to Samus gameplay
Windmill of Fury

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
So I found a neat little technique with Samus and all characters with a tether. Not sure if it's known yet, but I'll post it here.
Since tethers grapple instantly to ledge now, I was doing some testing with edge-guarding and came upon this.
If you wavedash to ledge and grapple onto it by holding the shield during the wavedash and press A to activate your Z-air, then rotate the stick in a quarter circle clockwise from the left (Left -> Up) you'll snap onto the ledge instantly. It's basically like a teleport if you're very close to the ledge. It can be done by tapping AA twice very fast as well instead of the quarter circle method. For reference in case it makes a difference, I have tap jump off.

I can't provide a video, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to do Xeno. Or anyone else really.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You mentioned for missile cancelling it having "no landing lag" when it should say something like normal landing lag. You didn't tell people if they want to gain height with bomb jumping to DI each bomb upward. You should clarify that PM just added one more frame of leniency to SWD, and before or after what the Melee window was I want to know: and you should just provide video of the Melee video guide to SWD as it's really necessary for people to see the timing.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I olng without playing samus that I forgot about the rising grapple. Can that still be done in project m??

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Wow. I olng without playing samus that I forgot about the rising grapple. Can that still be done in project m??
Idk if it's worth mentioning but you can also do like a 'falling grapple' I think it's the same speed as a fast fall though. iirc it's a little faster which might help for shenanigans to mess w/ your opponents timing.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Im sure ive seen it. My luck though I would shoot right over the ledge

Litt

Samus
Neat tricks:
1. super wavedash into taunt cancel, super easy to do, and makes the transition into fire/ice much easier than normal edge cancels.
2. while in morph ball form, roll backwards towards the edge, jump (while still in morph ball form) --> air dodge grapple, and you will immediately be pulled to the edge
3. Jab cancels are still present in the game and can be used exactly the same as they were in melee
4. You can short hop platform missile spam on pokemon stadium 2, the timing is just weird/different for both smash and homing missiles
5. You can also short hop platform missile spam on battlefield, but you can not do it with smash missiles at all
6. A lot of people are talking about edge canceling the zair so it becomes more viable... but when you are in the air, you no longer want to space with your zair, you should either be using the ice fair, nair, up air, or getting back to the ground for fire smashes or ice up smashes.
7. Samus does have chain grabs in this game off of her down throw, experiment and feel for timing because they are weird, fast fallers you get a chain grab at really high percents, but you can see for yourself.
8. Samus's forward tilt is 1.5 times the reach of her fmash, but still the best zoning tool is zair, tilts Im guessing will be weeded out of her metagame, or be incorporated once your opponent gets in on you and it would take too long to use the zair, (but then again, you can always jump air dodge backwards --> zair, if they get too close on you anyway)

Litt

Samus
Yup, you would need to find a way to double jump fast enough to platform cancel smash missiles during a spam, and I am having a lot of trouble double jumping quick enough to make it happen, in melee it was very easy, just slide your thumb from y to x and it just happened.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Yup, you would need to find a way to double jump fast enough to platform cancel smash missiles during a spam, and I am having a lot of trouble double jumping quick enough to make it happen, in melee it was very easy, just slide your thumb from y to x and it just happened.
Wait, I don't understand. What changed? Are you saying I'm suppose to double jump after the SH? Jumping and then DJ'ing a strong missile can platform cancel frame perfectly if you're frame perfect, so that's possible but hard. But are you saying you can get a homing missile to platform cancel in a SH on BF in PM without using a DJ?

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Yes you can platform cancel on battlefield, you just need to start shooting your homing missile while you are doing your short hop, you cant do a smash missile though with short hopping on battlefield, but you can do both the homing and smash missile spam with just a short hop on pokemon stadium 2. You would need to jump and then jump again... double jump... fast like the way you platform missile cancel in melee on battlefield and dreamland... to spam double homing missiles on battlefield, smashville and dreamland in PM 3.0

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Ah yes I see, the homing missile allows Samus' body to reach the platform higher somehow in a SH than the strong. Interesting

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
A technique I've found that helps with missile canceling on larger stages is to do a "Disruptor" input. That is, tap up to do the second jump, then roll the control stick to the side and press B.

Now Samus is Magneto.

Litt

Samus
That is called double jump missile canceling you idiot, you just found a way that works for you in PM... in melee the best way was to slide your fingers from Y --> X

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Any videos on this? Theres soo many samus techniques that I have never heard of. Someone should make a PM guide for samus. Theres not muchout there for her

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
That is called double jump missile canceling you idiot...
Did you get a bad review at work or something? I know that always ruins my day. I try not to take it out on internet people, though.

Yeah, I'm aware of what it's called. I'm attempting to offer an input method that works in PM, and which is fairly easy to perform. I'm presenting it in a way that I, at least, find humorous.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Did they change the timing for the SWD? I had just gotten used to the timing and with the new patches I can get it like 2/5 times

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I mean did they make it a smaller window now? Changed from the 3.0 version. Ican barely get it anymore

Top Bottom