• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Psystriking" Discovery: The Mewtwo Moveset Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I would like it if they took Confusion (side "B" special) and Disable (down "B" special) and incorporate it into one effective move. It could still stun opponents close up, but also deflect projectiles. Also, I think those projectiles should actually hit the opponent like in Mario's Cape or Nayru's Love. It was an odd and somewhat irritating gimmick in Melee. I imagine this would be Mewtwo's down special, which allows the development team to incorporate anything they want into Mewtwo's side special. As for his up special, I think Teleport worked well for it, but it could be more precise like Palutena's Warp or Farore's Wind.

I would not at all be disappointed if they replaced Shadow Ball (standard "B" special) with another projectile attack, like Psystrike. It would help differentiate Mewtwo from Lucario more. Shadow Ball itself wasn't too helpful in Melee, but can easily be reworked into a more reliable projectile attack, and I'd be happy if they did. However, I wouldn't mind to see a completely different move as well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I am legitimately curious about what all of you want "barrier" to do. Would it just be Palutena's "reflect"? I find that move kind of boring to be honest.
I'm a bit late to the party, but I saw an explanation for Barrier I really liked. Credit for this doesn't go to me, although I might be misremembering.

Default: Places a barrier in front of Mewtwo that's basically a wall that absorbs X amount of damage and takes effort to be passed through. (Can be rolled through, so it can't be totally OP on the ledge.) I don't think it should reflect projectiles, just eat them, at least in it's normal form.

Custom 1: Reflect: Increases the duration and durability of the Barrier, but allows energy projectiles to pass through it.
Custom 2: Light Screen: Easier to pass through, doesn't last as long as default, but can reflect projectiles.

Pretty much that. It's sort of a combination of Orbitars, Reflect and...something else.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
His teleport definitely needs to get its Project M properties of not making him helpless after use. I also really like the Barrier idea.

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
I'm entirely sure he'll have a moveset similar to Melee, with buffs, for two reasons

1. They've never really made terribly drastic changes to characters other than clones between games
2. If they change the moveset, the people who believe Lucario's a Mewtwo clone win, and Nintendo knows that

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
why would nintendo give even a single **** about those people

Spirst

Yeah, I don't see why Nintendo would care about people who think Lucario is a Mewtwo clone (which he isn't and never was). I wouldn't be so sure about him having the same moveset given that he was promoted as a new character with a fairly differently proportioned model and about six months of development time from now. I know that veterans haven't had radically different movesets in successive iterations but Mewtwo could be a different case.

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
The clone thing was a joke, but my point is, not many characters have had many drastic changes in the past, so it's not likely that his moveset will change much. Even then, the possibility's still there

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm entirely sure he'll have a moveset similar to Melee, with buffs, for two reasons

1. They've never really made terribly drastic changes to characters other than clones between games
2. If they change the moveset, the people who believe Lucario's a Mewtwo clone win, and Nintendo knows that
Bowser, Olimar and Pit changed pretty dramatically for this one.

...Wouldn't Point 2 be a win for the clone people if they kept his moveset? Wait, how does that even make sense anyway?

Spirst

One person observed that Mewtwo is more upright than Melee

*looks at Yoshi and Bowser* *smirks*
I wonder if that'll be his stance or if it was just supposed to be positioning for display. I hope his stance is more upright since I didn't like Melee's as much. Mewtwo strikes me as reserved, collected, yet intense. An upright, calculated stance fits his character.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I wonder if that'll be his stance or if it was just supposed to be positioning for display. I hope his stance is more upright since I didn't like Melee's as much. Mewtwo strikes me as reserved, collected, yet intense. An upright, calculated stance fits his character.

Looks more upright to me. And I looked at Yoshi and Bowser because they became more upright in this game and received MASSIVE buffs so this is a good sign!

Spirst

Looks more upright to me. And I looked at Yoshi and Bowser because they became more upright in this game and received MASSIVE buffs so this is a good sign!
Oh, I wasn't arguing that. Here's a better comparison:

I'll play him regardless of how he ends up but it'd be great if he was a competent character.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

I'll play him regardless of how he ends up but it'd be great if he was a competent character.
I honestly don't think he'll be using his tail as much as he did in Melee. At least, that's what I'm getting from his new model...

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
From looking a

From looking at the changes Sakurai made to many of the .... not as good characters from before are now usable. (Thinking of Bowser for example.) I am sure there will be an overhaul that will make Mewtwo much better than he was before.

Sound for Souls

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-6074-6979
I was actually curious about this myself.. :surprised: It clearly seems to be a gameplay picture, judging by the 3Ds & Wii U images they provided. But I wondered myself if this was his 'Idle' stance. Not that I'm complaining he looks great, but it seems a bit strange looking for an Idle animation.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I was actually curious about this myself.. :surprised: It clearly seems to be a gameplay picture, judging by the 3Ds & Wii U images they provided. But I wondered myself if this was his 'Idol' stance. Not that I'm complaining he looks great, but it seems a bit strange looking for an Idol animation.
That'd be "Idle" stance, but I think you could be right. I agree it looks kind of odd just given how upright he appears to be standing, but if this is his idle stance, we might see a more ranged Mewtwo than before.

Sound for Souls

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-6074-6979
That'd be "Idle" stance, but I think you could be right. I agree it looks kind of odd just given how upright he appears to be standing, but if this is his idle stance, we might see a more ranged Mewtwo than before.
Right.. :laugh: I don't use the word often enough lol. Though you may be on to something with Mewtwo being more ranged. It's an interesting thought. A thought I like; I mean Mewtwo has proven that he's not only a ranged type of fighter but it's still stays more true to his overall idea. Which is nice.

Sound for Souls

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-6074-6979
That, and according to Sakurai, that stuff can't be imported from Melee anyway considering the age of the game. If they're recreating his move set from scratch, making it just like Melee would be very uninspired and disappointing.
I second that. You'd be right about Sakurai stating the data was too old to import. He will have to build Mewtwo from scratch as he did every other character in Sm4sh. It would truly be disappointing if he made this Sm4sh Mewtwo a clone of Melee's, in more than just moveset.. I feel as though we don't have to worry about it. I feel like Sakurai will make the decision to give Mewtwo the attention and time he deserves in regards to his moveset. It doesn't seem like Sakurai to get lazy, and I don't believe he'd dare get lazy with a character who has the legacy Mewtwo has.

I may be blowing Mewtwo up a little more than I should.. :urg: I suppose I just trust Sakurai. He's proven himself to me more times than I can remember.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

Wow, Melee Mewtwo's head is huge.

I really hope Mewtwo is at the very least mid-tier (B range up).

Sound for Souls

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-6074-6979
Okay! Actual speculation time for my boy :151:2. :chuckle: I guess I'll just go over his Specials considering I have multiple ideas for some.

So, for his :GCU::GCB::
- Teleport: I think I can speak for most of us when I say that we really enjoyed the simple but appropriate Teleport. It doesn't exactly reference anything from the movies considering Mewtwo, from what I remember, didn't Teleport even once throughout both of his movies. But it's still holds a lot of reference to him being a Psychic type. :b: I think that Teleport should stay as his Up + B personally, but maybe have it be slightly different to keep things a bit fresh. I would say that it could have a damage effect when he Teleports to his destination, like Zelda's: Farore's Wind, but I find it to be very annoying at times, and I think as fast as Mewtwo can Teleport that it would be far to overpowered and spammy. So how about something different? I thought that maybe when he Teleports to a select location it could have a push effect when he reaches his destination. You know how when Sheik uses her Vanish move and appears right next to a character and doesn't damage them? It pushes them; blows them away from Sheik's destination. I think it would be a small but nice touch to have this effect on the end of Mewto's Teleport. Like a little Psychic after-wave if you will, that blows them away.

For his Standard :GCB::
- Shadow Ball: Shadow Ball felt so right on Mewtwo in Melee, and made sense as in reference to him in Mewtwo Strikes Back when he wafted Shadow Balls at Mew. It honestly felt so right that it feels like Mewtwo is now incomplete without some kind of projectile attack in Smash, ya know?:sadeyes: I can't think of many ways to change this attack, which honestly upsets me. I don't want unoriginality tied to Mewtwo, and Shadow Ball is a whole lot like Lucario's Aura Sphere ( It even looks the same, which is silly because Aura Sphere isn't meant to look that dark in the actual Pokemon games, ) and Samus's Charge Shot. Maybe they could make Shadow Ball overall weaker and actually appear physically smaller as a result, but make it multi-directional like Mega Man's Metal Blade. That might be pretty cool huh? :bee:

- Psycho Cut: Speaking of Mewtwo feeling incomplete without a projectile.. Psycho Cut happens to be a projectile-like move despite it being a physical move in the Pokemon games. It's a newer generation move, but still nice nevertheless. There are two ways I can see it performing. The first idea is slightly hypocritical to what I said earlier in regards to wanting Mewtwo to be original, but Psycho Cut could actually work a lot like Greninja's Water Shuriken. It could have a carrying effect and a spike at the end. & Water Shuriken isn't a bad move at all, I make very good use of it as a Greninja main in Sm4sh 3Ds. :) The second idea being slightly less useful maybe, but overall might still prove to be useful. Being a charge move, it would appear as a spiraling pink blade in front of Mewtwo that grows larger the longer it's charged. The smaller it is the slower it is and does less damage and launch, but goes a lot faster and causes more damage and launches a lot farther at full charge. But regardless of size always has an interrupting effect like Greninja's Water Shuriken, even at small charges.

Now for :GCD::GCB::
- Safeguard: This idea is really simple but brings something of a new element as far as characters go. Mewtwo takes a second or two to cover his entire body in this very luminescent bright blue causing him to glow. While glowing and the safeguard is still up, he has the effect of the Franklin Badge Item, reflecting all items/projectiles within say a 10 second time frame before it wears off. I think this presents sort of interesting idea considering there are a lot more characters bringing even more projectiles to the game as moves. It may make trying to get back onto a ledge a lot more easy considering some players are really nice in timing there deadly projectiles when your off the stage. & May tend to stop a really campy character who doesn't want to stay up close and personal.
I suppose you could also have Down + B be reflect and literally just be a reflector similar to Fox's Reflector, but I won't label it as a suggestion just because I like the Safeguard idea a lot more. :grin:

- Thunder Wave: This idea is even more simple than Safeguard, but still might be useful considering many fans of Mewtwo in Melee liked that temporary stun that came from Disable. Mewtwo basically sends out a yellow wave of electricity out of his body and any one caught in it has a very long hit stun effect, similar to Zero Suit's Paralyzer. Simple enough and useful; possibly OP but that was off the top of my head lol.. :idea:

& Finally :GCL::GCR::GCB::
- Hidden Power: Mewtwo raises his hand and releases multiple floating orbs moving as if in a Tornado like manner, extenuating from Mewtwo's palm. It causing multiple hits and slowly pushing whoever's caught in it away from Mewtwo. Very similar to Charizard's Flamethrower. Having the same range as Charizard's Flamethrower at full range; except Mewtwo's Hidden Power wouldn't extinguish like Charizard's flames. This particular idea would be really good for Custom Moves, a few potential ideas would be Hidden Power Ice: Freezes anyone in ice who's caught up in it but has shorter range. Or Hidden Power Electric: Shorter range but has a paralyzing effect. ( Such as Zero Suit's Paralyzer ) I honestly wish I had another idea for his Side + B, but this was honestly the hardest Special Move to create an idea for. I suppose another possible idea would be to keep Confusion but I thought I'd try and give off another idea of my own just to further my hopes of him being reworked. :lol:

Well, there you go! :grin: Most of these I came up with on the spot after analyzing potential moves from Mewtwo's movepool. But I feel like they've got some potential discussion for what they are, and bring up even more ideas for other moves. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Honestly, I don't see Mewtwo having much of a different moveset than his PM/Melee moveset. Don't think he's as strong as his PM counterpart, but if Teleport doesn't leave him helpless, Mewtwo will become drastically better than his melee counterpart. All the better if he could nair out of it. PM Shenanigans for days. If they actually add hovering, any PM Mewtwo player would be able to pretty much translate Mewtwo over.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
Considering Mewtwo's Final Smash will most likely be Mega Mewtwo X/Y, I've been thinking about how he might switch between them. So I came up with the idea that one of his specials might be his move Power Swap, since he starts with it in the games.

As some Pokemon fans might know, Power Swap switches the attack stat with the special attack stat, meaning that it can be used to change Mewtwo from a special attack fighter to a physical attack one. Since Mewtwo's mega evolutions further make him specialized in one of the two, I think it may be used in Smash to affect which mega evolution he becomes.

In Smash, Power Swap (which would most likely be his down-B) would make either his standard A attacks more powerful than his specials, or make his specials more powerful than his standards. This would make for quite an interesting way to play as him, either specializing in using his special moves or using him as more of an up close fighter or changing between the two. The Power Swap stance you're in would also change which mega evolution he becomes in his Final Smash- becoming Mewtwo X for even more powerful standards or Mewtwo Y for even more powerful specials.

Anyone else think this might be neat and/or a possibility? It would give him a much needed buff to be more competitive in Smash 4.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Considering Mewtwo's Final Smash will most likely be Mega Mewtwo X/Y, I've been thinking about how he might switch between them. So I came up with the idea that one of his specials might be his move Power Swap, since he starts with it in the games.

As some Pokemon fans might know, Power Swap switches the attack stat with the special attack stat, meaning that it can be used to change Mewtwo from a special attack fighter to a physical attack one. Since Mewtwo's mega evolutions further make him specialized in one of the two, I think it may be used in Smash to affect which mega evolution he becomes.

In Smash, Power Swap (which would most likely be his down-B) would make either his standard A attacks more powerful than his specials, or make his specials more powerful than his standards. This would make for quite an interesting way to play as him, either specializing in using his special moves or using him as more of an up close fighter or changing between the two. The Power Swap stance you're in would also change which mega evolution he becomes in his Final Smash- becoming Mewtwo X for even more powerful standards or Mewtwo Y for even more powerful specials.

Anyone else think this might be neat and/or a possibility? It would give him a much needed buff to be more competitive in Smash 4.
This.

I think a cool side special for Mewtwo could be swift. Swift was one of the moves that Mewtwo used in Pokemon Red and Blue in the Cerulean Cave.

Rapidly tapping the input would cause stars to swirl around Mewtwo before shooting along its hand to attack other players. In the games Swift never misses so the stars would bend their trajectory to home in on other combatants. It would function like a combination of Palutena's auto-reticle as a pestering projectile and as a much weaker version of Metaknight's Mach Tornado as the stars swirls around Mewtwo.

As for the down special I think disable should be kept, except with further range and the removal of the facing the same direction requirement. I like the idea of it actually functioning like disable in the Pokemon games. Perhaps it could randomly disable one of three things (specials, smashes, tilts) for 10 seconds.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Alright everybody, I think it's time we start winding down on special move speculation and move into another topic. We'll be switching topics on Saturday, so if anyone has anything else to say about special moves they should try to do it before then. Please refer to the original post for more details on this change.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Well, my last words on the matter of mewtwo moves speculation is I would not mind if they kept they kept his special moves the same for gameplay familiarity purposes (I am probably going to throttle a Falco amiibo when I see him in the next game at the rate he keeps changing). I just hope they actually playtest his moves. Like, there's no way they did any serious playtesting on Side+B and I've seen better hitbox design in Samurai Shodown 3 than I have for several of Mewtwo's normals and disable.

Custom moves I hope are nicely varied as a nod to Mewtwo's incredible and hard to predict versatility.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Up B - Teleport.
Down B - Counter Barrier; a counter where instead of attacking back he gains a defensive barrier for 10s with 1.2x% health of the move he was hit by.
Side special. Confuse Ray.
Neutral B - shadowball.

Custom ideas.
Confusing teleport.
Draining teleport

Strong Barrier
Light screen.

Psywave
Confusion.

Focus blast
Psycho cut

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
I don't think Mewtwo will change much from his Melee moveset. Who knows, maybe he'll get some special move changes like Charizard did.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
The clone thing was a joke, but my point is, not many characters have had many drastic changes in the past, so it's not likely that his moveset will change much. Even then, the possibility's still there
That's very true, I just hope they do

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021

He really needs the spoon in his moveset

Slider Eclipse

Smash Rookie
I made this moveset a long time ago ( back before even the ESRB leak hit) and figured that i should share it, as its one of the very few i've ever liked enough to do a full list for. the general concept is for a fast, powerful glass cannon style for mewtwo.

Statistics ( out of 5)

Size: Large (4)

Weight: Light ( 2)

Speed: High (4)

Power: High (4)

Combo: Medium (3)

Knockback: High (4)

Recovery: High (4)

Mewtwo is overall a high power Glass Cannon style of play. using his Mastery of the Psychic arts and his speed to massacre his foes before they have a chance to take advantage of his unfortunately large size and constant floating..

Standard Attacks

A: Mewtwo Slices forwards with a Psycho Cut from his Right Hand

AA: Mewtwo quickly Unleashes another Psycho Cut with his Left Hand

AAA: Mewtwo uses Psychic to push foes away with a powerful pulse of Psychic akin to a Shockwave

>A: Mewtwo Releases a quick Spray of Psystrike from his palm.

Dash >A: Mewtwo Spins as he rockets forwards, his body coated in Psyshock

Smash >A: Mewtwo Crosses his arms as he charges Psychic energy into both hands before Slicing with both at once, unleashing two Psycho Cuts forwards. the charge time increases the attacks Power and Range

vA: Mewtwo Spins in place, using his tail as a powerful Whip thats charged with a Psycho cut

Smash vA: Mewtwo uses Psychic to Push foes away from him with a powerful shockwave of psychic energy. hits a full 360 degrees around him.

^A: Mewtwo Unleashed a Jolt of Psyshock above him

Smash ^A: Same as Melee

Air A: Mewtwo Coats himself in Psyshock, overall same as Melee

Forward Air A: Mewtwo Points one hand forward and sprays out a series of Psystrike pellets.

Back Air A: Mewtwo Coats his hand in Psycho Cut while Rapidly Delivering a Backhand behind him. has the unique property of changing which direction he’s facing.

Air ^A: Mewtwo Spins rapidly in the air using a Psycho Cut Empowered Tail to slice into foes rapidly.

Air vA: Mewtwo Points his entire body downwards while unleashing a powerful spray of Psystrike at a 45 Degree angle.

Grab Attacks

Grab: Mewtwo Uses Telekinesis to grab targets. has a range about as good as Toon Link’s

Grab A: Mewtwo Unleashes a powerful Torrent of Psyshock Inside the grabbed targets Bodys.

Forward Throw: Mewtwo Coats his Head with a large amount of Psychic Power and delivers a Zen Headbutt to his victim

Back Throw: Mewtwo Simply Tosses them backwards hard while releasing the Field as if they weren’t worth his time.

Air Throw: Mewtwo Tosses them into the air then Unleashes a powerful barrage of Psystrike upon them.

Ground Throw: Mewtwo drags them into the ground and straight into a double handed Psycho Cut he holds below him, Releasing his Field as they Slide face 1st into the blade of Psychic Energy.

Specials

B: Shadow Ball - Same as Melee

>B: Future Sight - Mewtwo Closes his eyes before a Psychic Energy Symbol Flashes on an opposing smashers Status Bar, a few seconds later it will Flash under said players feet before an Explosion of Psychic Energy Bursts on that exact spot, is about 2/3rd the strength of a bob omb

vB: Barrier - You know Gardevoirs Ability? this is basically that, though he can only hold it for 5 seconds and it recharges at a rate of 1 second every 3 similar to Rob’s ^B.

^B: Teleport- Same as Melee, though now he can use it up to three times while in the air before tiring out.

Final Smash

Mega Mewtwo Y: Mewtwo Mega Evolves, Increasing his Speed and Power while making him Lighter and 20% smaller.
honestly, the only thing that i'd maybe do different is use the barrier idea you already came up with and maybe add more psystrike based moves to make him more of an aerial range playstyle.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I hope they keep his Tail attacks, those Tilts he had in Melee were awesome and effective, part of Mewtwo's B&B game.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the tilts were pretty great in Melee, and I guess by extension PM. I do think though that they need either change his u-tilt or change his u-air because the two animations look the almost the same.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Shadow Claw was never even a move when Melee came out lol. It was introduced in Diamond and Pearl and f-air was never given an official name, so f-air is not necessarily removed.
Its just im pretty sure psycho cut is whats going to replace it and to improve it make it look more like a slash like move than a tiny claw marks move (a bigger slash size than a tiny than in melee/project m)

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
But Mewtwo never new Shadow Claw in any capacity. F-air kind of resembles it, but that's not its official name. It is pure speculation to whether it will be replaced or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom