• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Pretty "Cool" Roster if I Say So Myself

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Link to original post: [drupal=5084]A Pretty "Cool" Roster if I Say So Myself[/drupal]

(irons hands as penance for awful pun)

sooooo, here we are. i tried to keep a healthy blend of personal taste and actual prediction, and after one or two adjustments i ended up with this.

you may fire when ready.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The only ones that fill me with doubt are Genesect and Krom. Pretty close to my dream roster though, save for the common absence of Geno and Paper Mario. With Miis and an animal Crossing representative would make for an amazing cast!

Though, I'm sure there are characters we have yet to even hear of that can make it in, like whatever new franchise Miyamoto is cooking up, or any sequels that transpire before Smash 4 comes out which show new faces.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
we already got a ssb4 thread in the brawl section.
They will like if you help out with ideas.

yani

Smash Lord
I'd trade out Krom for Dixie Kong for it to be perfect for me

I prefer Toad to Jr., but those two are a toss up anyway

I give it an almost perfect/10

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
HotH: if the Pokemon company keeps up the pace of pokemon revelations, i think genesect is more likely than hmany people believe. i added krom on the "flavor of the month" theory, but i have no great attachment to him.

i just see too much stacked against Geno. as a mario character, there are too many more who should get in before him, like toad or Junior. as a square enix character, i imagine that they'd want one of their more recognized characters in, like from Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy or something. i have nothing against him, but i don't see him as likely. though he is enormously popular, so who knows, they might sort it out.

paper mario was actually a close second as my pick for a mario newcomer. miis... meh. i don't care for them. also, i imagine if they were going to be in a smash bros, they would've been introduced in the wii iteration. i've considered an animal crossing character, but they just seem like too much of a passive, mellow group to be fighters. that's why i'm not sure about toad for playable - they just seem so "chill". as far as future creations, (miyamoto's new concoction, for instance) i'm keeping an open mind. if what he comes up with works, i'll probably drop shulk for it.

metal: you are a total bro, i just wanted to let you know.

yusuke: i've been there. i escaped that cauldron of insanity to come here.

yani: the donkey kong stuff doesn't really appeal to me, but as it stands i'm not particularly attached to krom either. that one could go either way for me. i don't feel like screwing with it anymore right now, so pretend. :D

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I don't remember too much, but I don't think Miis had much if any demand back in the day when we were awaiting for Super Smash Brother 3.

As for Geno, if they wanted a Square Enix player, there options are slim, because Nintendo only accepts characters that were on Nintendo games, so Cloud couldn't happen. Dragon Quest maybe, but like you say the demand is definitely towards Geno if we get one at all.

Also, what do you mean by pokemon revelations?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You have Queerahim, SS Zelda, SS Link, but no Impa? This will not do.

Props on having 4 Fire Emblem Lords though. I always like to see that.

Suggestions:
Sheik = Impa
Genesect / Shulk = Toad
MegaMan / Krystal / Ghirahim = Dixie Kong

:phone:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Link to original post: [drupal=5084]A Pretty "Cool" Roster if I Say So Myself[/drupal]

(irons hands as penance for awful pun)

sooooo, here we are. i tried to keep a healthy blend of personal taste and actual prediction, and after one or two adjustments i ended up with this.

you may fire when ready.
Okay, let's see here...
Bowser Jr:While Jr. is an understandable choice, Toad is simply better. He is an icon of the series, that has appeared in almost every mario game ever. He has had a playable appearance in a mainstream game, and has had his own spin-off game. He is also very popular, placing 3rd in a major popularity poll spanning 3 websites.
Ghirahim: Why did you put in a 1-shot villain over the only character to appear in 5 games not currently in smash, as well as the only Zelda character to have his own spin-off games? That's Tingle, if you don't know.
Mewtwo/Genesect: Why does PKMN have more characters than Mario and Zelda? Choose 1.
Krystal: Starfox should not get a 3rd character. It's a tiny, dead series. You should represent a new misc. series with that slot, not just throw variety to the wind by piling on starfox characters.
Roy/Krom: Choose 1. FE does not deserve 4 characters, especially when you only gave Metroid 2.
Shulk: While an OK choice, I notice you've put him in over Starfy. Starfy has a 5 game series, so he should be in as well.
Palutena: 3 games does not make a series big enough to warrant 2 characters.
Takamaru: I honestly have no idea why anyone gives this guy serious thought. He has had 1 very obscure, japan-only game, and 2 cameos.
Overall: the main problem with this roster is strange slot distribution of slots. You give some series way too many characters. Overall, not bad. I reccomend you add Starfy, Ray, another retro character like Duck Hunt Dog or the Prince of Sable, Paper Mario and Dark Samus.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I like your roster overall. A lot of people have and will start saying "why did you add this character" or "you should add this one instead". All in all, though, it's your roster so make it what you want to be.

I can honestly say if this was the official roster, I would be pretty happy :) My one big thing with it is the amount of Fire Emblem characters. While I loved Roy in SSBM, I personally would take out Roy and keep Krom since he is much newer as well as serves as an advertisement to the new Fire Emblem DS game. That's my two cents.

Overall, a great and well thought roster!

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
HotH: they announced keldeo and meloetta a couple of weeks ago. genesect could very well be revealed by this time next year. really, the biggest thing for me is a 5th-generation pokemon, be it zoroark, victini, or whoever. i'm just crossing my fingers for genesect. :)

zzuxon: hmm...

jr.: if you read my other posts, i've addressed toad before. (when did toad have his own spinoff? i've seriously never heard of anything like that, but it sounds interesting.)
ghirahim: i don't necessarily think ghirahim has to be one-shot. midna and zant, for example, were distinctly tied to TP's storyline, whereas ghirahim is the right hand man to the series-wide big bad. i wouldn't asssume we've seen the last of nintendo's tribute to the rocky horror picture show. i'd be okay with tingle making it, but i personally would pick ghirahim. this being my roster...
mewtwo/genesect: you make a good point on pokemon having more than mario or zelda, but i would sooner add to mario and zelda than remove. besides, if brawl's unfinished data is any indication, pokemon was set to have more characters than either of them anyway. i don't think it's impossible.
krystal: variety was exactly what i had in mind with krystal. she's a staff fighter, which we don't have yet. she's a star fox character who wouldn't be a clone like the other three star fox characters. plus everyone's always griping about needing female characters. (also, check your math. fox + falco + wolf + krystal = 4)
roy/krom: fire emblem already has more than metroid. roy was supposed to be in brawl, so it would've been three to one. four to two isn't any worse.
shulk: yes, i did put him in over starfy. i never considered starfy. shulk looks more interesting and like a better fighter. more games do not a better character make.
palutena: with the advertising campaign they've got for the new kid icarus, i would say nintendo wants people to be interested in the series. i wouldn't rule out another character.
takamaru: he's got more going for him than the ice climbers or pit did before melee and brawl. plus, you're telling me about "obscure, japan-only" games, then you turn around and recommend prince sable?
overall:it sounds like you're trying to turn my roster into your roster.

venus: thanks for the positivity! you don't see too much of that on smashboards. :bee: on the fire emblem topic, i would sooner cut the new character that hasn't got a following yet than the established veteran that many people already want brought back. (i'm not trying to be argumentative, please don't interpret it that way!)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know that's the point, why have old and tried when you can have a new character? This is why I support Impa heavily over Sheik and Krom over Roy (though I want both of the latter)

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
i agree ssb4 thread is so much drama and chaos i guess user blogs are more safe :p
Ha ha these blogs ar here to free us from the fiery pits of conflict that are the ssb4 threads.

Also, I appreciate this roster. 1) It has Roy and I can not go wrong with that. 2) I like how you bothered to include Genesect. He's my favorite gen5 pokemon.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
zzuxon: hmm...

jr.: if you read my other posts, i've addressed toad before. (when did toad have his own spinoff? i've seriously never heard of anything like that, but it sounds interesting.)Wario's Woods, I have it. it's great.
ghirahim: i don't necessarily think ghirahim has to be one-shot. midna and zant, for example, were distinctly tied to TP's storyline, whereas ghirahim is the right hand man to the series-wide big bad. i wouldn't asssume we've seen the last of nintendo's tribute to the rocky horror picture show. i'd be okay with tingle making it, but i personally would pick ghirahim. this being my roster...Perhaps, but we don't know
mewtwo/genesect: you make a good point on pokemon having more than mario or zelda, but i would sooner add to mario and zelda than remove. besides, if brawl's unfinished data is any indication, pokemon was set to have more characters than either of them anyway. i don't think it's impossible.
krystal: variety was exactly what i had in mind with krystal. she's a staff fighter, which we don't have yet. she's a star fox character who wouldn't be a clone like the other three star fox characters. plus everyone's always griping about needing female characters. (also, check your math. fox + falco + wolf + krystal = 4) I'm referring to series variety
roy/krom: fire emblem already has more than metroid. roy was supposed to be in brawl, so it would've been three to one. four to two isn't any worse.
shulk: yes, i did put him in over starfy. i never considered starfy. shulk looks more interesting and like a better fighter. more games do not a better character make. My point is Starfy is more important, so he deserves to be in.
palutena: with the advertising campaign they've got for the new kid icarus, i would say nintendo wants people to be interested in the series. i wouldn't rule out another character.
takamaru: he's got more going for him than the ice climbers or pit did before melee and brawl. plus, you're telling me about "obscure, japan-only" games, then you turn around and recommend prince sable? Hm, I didn't think of that.
overall:it sounds like you're trying to turn my roster into your roster.
Replies in bold

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
@diddy: except i just said:
i would sooner cut the new character that hasn't got a following yet than the established veteran that many people already want brought back.
i'm already turned off to impa by your actions in the sm4sh thread. please don't bring it here too.

sephiroth: i like roy. he and mewtwo shouldn't have been cut. and genesect is one of my favorites from the new set too, along with (funny enough) zoroark and victini. if any of the suggestions people make here end up true, i still win! :awesome:

zzuxon:
1. i didn't know that one. i heard the name "wario's woods" and, not seeing anything about it, assumed you played as wario.
2. like i said, i wouldn't mind tingle as playable. i'd be open to any new zelda addition. certain conversations have turned me off to impa, but i'd even be fine with her being added.
3. i don't think i did too bad with new series...es(?). not counting third-party megaman, i brought on isaac, shulk, takamaru, and little mac. that's one more than melee, and the same as brawl (again not accounting for third party). while more wouldn't be out of the question, i don't think just the four would be unlikely either.
4. i put this together based on what i know. i know that shulk has an energy sword and that xenoblade was apparently so amazing that people petitioned for it to be localized in other regions. i also know that starfy twirls around in brawl and is one of the only assist trophies you can kill. he didn't exactly jump out at me.
5. if it means anything, i'm open to prince sable.

metal: i dunno, it's a valid point. though pokemon is one of the big three, zelda and mario are bigger. it isn't a huge deal since brawl almost went that route anyway; mewtwo wasn't meant to be cut and they planned plusle/minun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why shouldn't I bring Impa? It's like its not even a serious suggestion anymore. Which it is. Therefore: Impa in, Sheik out.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Diddy

Do you NOT realize that YOU and YOU alone have made almost everyone hate the idea of Impa now?

No one really cares, so take you and yo bland ninja woman on somewhere

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy

Do you NOT realize that YOU and YOU alone have made almost everyone hate the idea of Impa now?

No one really cares, so take you and yo bland ninja woman on somewhere
No, everyone hated the idea before. Then I argued, and then everyone became bitter. That's the story.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Of coarse it does if it hasn't as much as even considered as an idea to the rest.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
as far as i can tell, more people are pro-sheik than necessarily anti-impa. before you started your little crusade, people were mostly indifferent to impa. your perpetual need to force her into every single post you make is what's turning people off to her. just back off and people will ease up.

and another thing, you keep saying nobody likes sheik, then getting all shocked when everyone jumps to her defense.

(if it means anything to you at all, i'm up for impa, just not at the expense of sheik. i just don't want to see any more cuts, especially not one of my favorite characters from my favorite series)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, most people are anti-cuts, not necessarly pro-Sheik.

Even though Impa infact has more to offer than Sheik does. That, and Sheik is just a one-off in Zelda, she has pretty much already reached her highest height in popularity since Melee, and it only diminished since Brawl. That, and the Zelda / Sheik combo is pretty flawed, as it always ended up making Zelda herself suck. Badly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes there is, she's a dead character in her series. You say OOT3DS, well, her role there remains the underwhelming one it always was. And there's pretty much no chance for her for future roles.

Inb4 retro characters, cause Ice Climbers, Pit and Mr.Game & Watch where pretty much revived to be in Smash. And I wouldn't call Sheik retro.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter. Even if she were unimportant to her home series, she is STILL an important character to Smash. People like her and enjoy playing as her in addition to being in Smash since 2001 AND her being a unique character. So, with all this in mind, there's no reason at all to cut her, let alone replace her if she's only going to serve the same purpose in Smash as Sheik did

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, no she could just as easily replace Sheik in a way of being a separate character. And I wouldn't call her a full character on her own, much like how say, Charizard also isn't much of an own character. Also, do I have to remind that Mewtwo was cut to with an unique moveset? Impa could be a revamped Sheik, and Sheik's special attacks could transfer over to other characters, Impa could have the same Up B as she, and I heard Kuma suggesting Palutena could probably have some projectiles working much like the Needle Storm. Sheik's moveset is all made up anyway, so even IF they don't feel like making Impa unique, they could pass of Sheik's entire moveset to her just as easily. As Sheik never ever fought in OOT anyway.

IcyAzeman

Smash Rookie
I would love to see Mega Man and Ridley in the new Smash Bros. I also think that Paper Mario and Waluigi would be fun characters to see.

plokoon9619

Smash Cadet
Bowser Jr. comes second behind Toad, Toad has had the most appearances, is one of the only original Mario characters left to be added, has had multiple playable appearances and even a spin off game. You then make the second mistake of continuing the trend of repping a less popular series with more characters than a popular series (Star Fox>Donkey Kong). You even make the mistake of saying Krystal should be added in for being female when clearly Dixie Kong can represent the same thing and she is actually a main character of the Donkey Kong Country/Land franchise.

Then you add in Ghirahim which is this year's Zant. If Sakurai wanted to add in the new popular Zelda villain every game then we would have Skull Kid, and Zant already. Also Genesect is unlikely to be considered.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
How is it possible that with all the rosters I've seen, people always only add more dumb characters from games that already have representation. I mean, why the hell would you wanna add more space animals (Krystal, which is on EVERY roster) when you could add new characters like Alucard or one of the Belmonts from Castlevania, or Goemon from Mystical Ninja, or the guys from Double Dragon. Something NEW! One or 2 characters per series is plenty, not every game is gonna be like Mario where most of the overall cast gets added.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Because the ones you listed are from 3rd Party series and, for the most part, people prefer more Space Animals from NINTENDO then characters from a random 3rd Party companies. And there is a reason why Krystal is in every roster. She is a popular character that has a very good chance in getting into SSB4. Out of the characters you mentioned, Alucard is the only one with a true chance of getting into the game.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
3rd party characters aren't bad but too many would take away from what the Smash games are: a celebration of Nintendo's history. I am all for 3rd party inclusion as long as it does not take a good portion of the roster. Goeman, Alucard, and the dudes from Double Dragon does have a good relationship with Nintendo and certainly would make good additions into SSB. However, personally, I wouldn't like it various 3rd party characters made it in while other Nintendo characters, who are more deserving, are left out.

I am curious what you consider as "dumb characters"; especially from the roster the OP put up.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
icy: ridley is a close second for who i want most, after mewtwo. the more support i see for him, the better. :) (how is it possible for you to have a zero postcount? especially as i see that on a post of yours.)

plokoon:
1. i've talked about toad twice. long story short: not crazy about him.
2. i don't like the donkey kong series. i like the star fox series. this being my roster, i don't see how adding krystal over dixie is a "mistake."
3. krystal being female is the least of my reasoning behind her.
4. ghirahim's story is more open-ended than zant's or skull kid's, though. those guys were totally dependant on their games' plots, where ghirahim is the most powerful minion of the series-wide villain. he could very possibly appear again.
5. why is genesect any less likely than the other possible fifth-generation pokemon additions?

privates: come back when you can suggest at least one nintendo character. third parties aren't bad in and of themselves, but every single suggestion you made is third-party. also, be less of a jerk. both of your posts were nasty attacks that didn't even try to dsguise as conversation. hell, diddy had more tact.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I'm not worried about there being too many 3rd parties at all for Smash because the guidelines that Sakurai uses to include third parties fortunately prevent me from doing so

Top Bottom