• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A patch for Nado?

OverLade

Smash Hero
Lately, I've noticed that this Homebrew channel has been doing pretty big things with Brawl as far as modifying the game. So it got me wondering.

But let me say this first before the hate ensues. I main Metaknight. I love Metaknight. I wouldn't be happy at all if Metaknight is banned.
But lets be honest, Metaknight has a HUGE edge over most of the cast, and him if anyone makes certain characters unplayable because of his gimping ability. I'd never say that MK doesn't take skill, because if you suck using MK you're going to lose regardless, but Metaknight has the most REDICULOUS crutch ever.

Obviously I mean nado. While I main MK, I use a huge variety of characters. I was playing friendlies with a MK player on AiB, and I came to see why people hate MK so much. EVERY SINGLE MATCH I was winning just fine until he started spamming nado to catch up. Most of the matches I was still able to win because I know how to counter nado with most characters, but the few I did lose were because some characters have no reliable way to deal with nadospam. Now you could say "DEAL WITH IT" or "DONT PLAY THOSE CHARACTERS THEN", but if you're bowser and your opponent spams MK's Nado, you're going to lose. If you're Kirby, and your opponent spams Nado, you're going to lose because kirby only has 1 good move that goes through nado, which is his smash attack and only works on the ground anyway, and since Kirby is airgame heavy, you're doom.

SO NOW TO THE POINT:
Is it possible using Wiihomebrew and hacking to make a patch for nado to make it more fair? Any combination of the following options:
Decrease the priority
Increase the start up lag
Increase the ending lag
Decrease the duration
Decrease the speed that MK moves while using Nado
Decrease the ammount of damage that nado does

So I just want your opinions. I know nothing about programming or Wiibrew. But does anyone know if it's possible, or willing to try it.
If we could make an official patch, it would encourage a lot more people to actually be good with MK, or try other characters.

Thanks.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
This wouldnt be mainstream since not everyone has homebrew channel. And I would rather play the game fairly than get someone to program their tornado. It can be used for more harm too. It could be possible for players to programs MK's tornado to be stronger too. So any form of hacking would be considered unfair. This wont fly.

OverLade

Smash Hero
This wouldnt be mainstream since not everyone has homebrew channel. And I would rather play the game fairly than get someone to program their tornado. It can be used for more harm too. It could be possible for players to programs MK's tornado to be stronger too. So any form of hacking would be considered unfair. This wont fly.
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I'm more about "is it possible" at this point. I don't have homebrew myself, but I'd be willing to download it if it could make the game more balanced. I see where you're coming from about not encouraging hacking though, but Im sure there would be more than enough people willing to use it.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Absolutely not. We change ONE thing, that's tripping. Go further, and people will keep driving for perfection, which is stupid, because they will never get it.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
There will always be one other person who will say....."if we can do that to that why not do that to this?????" and it will just keep going and going and going and the strive to gain complete balance and perfection will never be reached (unless you delete all but one character in the game and force everyone to use that character in which case no one will play the game anymore)

Trozz

Smash Ace
Possible nerf ideas?
Shuttle Loop needs way less knockback (unless you sweetspot). I'd give d-smash less knockback too since it's super easy to use and has a low trajectory already.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Possible nerf ideas?
Shuttle Loop needs way less knockback (unless you sweetspot). I'd give d-smash less knockback too since it's super easy to use and has a low trajectory already.
While your at it, decrease all his other good moves his fair, nair and tilts >_>. *sarcasm*

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
While you're at it, weaken all [of] his other good moves [like] his fair, nair and tilts. >_>. *sarcasm*
fixed.

Make snake deal less damage, and make him lighter too.

on topic: make the tornado laggy on finish (ganon's dair landing lag) and keep MK's air speed when using it, so you can't move left/right as quickly.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
lol threads like these are getting locked like crazy!... anyway its interesting what ppl do with the homebrew channel....if only we could of anonymous stock matches....

by the way what is the homebrew channel? i know its like for hacking up i have no idea really what it is, where to get it etc.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I have to agree that honestly, if ANYTHING is modified in this game Nado, should be the ONLY thing.

People can beat snake, and without nado, people can beat Meta just fine as well (not that people can't beat meta with nado). I can understand the whole thing that people will want to PERFECTLY balance the game, but that's just not necessary.

Nado is the only thing in this game that's close to broken. Luigi has NO moves that go through nado besides Dair. So if you fight a nadospamming MK, you have no way of winning unless they completely suck at spamming it.

But most imortantly, does anyone know if IT IS POSSIBLE?

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
you might be the only mk main without an inflated ego, congratulations

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Tornado can be a huge problem with big characters like Bowser, but with most characters, the tornado doesn't have to be much of a problem. A dumb Meta Knight can easily be punished for MTing, and a smart MK will realize that if you shield every time they MT, they're not gaining a whole lot out of it. I'm probably forgetting some crucial bit of info, but if you just play it smart against MK and avoid being in the air where you can't shield, MT will start to not be such a problem.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Tornado can be a huge problem with big characters like Bowser, but with most characters, the tornado doesn't have to be much of a problem. A dumb Meta Knight can easily be punished for MTing, and a smart MK will realize that if you shield every time they MT, they're not gaining a whole lot out of it. I'm probably forgetting some crucial bit of info, but if you just play it smart against MK and avoid being in the air where you can't shield, MT will start to not be such a problem.
If you shield nado a second time immediately after it will go through your shield, you will then have no options as your shield takes time to recover. Nadospam is impossible to deal with for some characters because they have no useable moves that go through it, and even those WITH moves that work, some are laggy, or very situational. MK can easily pressure any character into the air, or knock them up and then spam Nado.

My point is, the number of MKs in tourneys, and the number who WILL spam Nado to win makes half the cast non tourney viable already.

I'd like to see something like this attempted at least.

acv

Smash Journeyman
make the nado even worst?the tornado is kind of a good move but once you learn to deal with it its pretty much just another regular move.although it is easier to modify the tornado than to see everyone learn to deal with it(some people never will) i dont think it will happen.

null55

Smash Master
The only thing anyone should consider doing with this homebrew thing in respect to the competitive scene is getting rid of tripping. That should be it. Trying to dumb down higher level characters isn't smart. Tripping is the only truly flawed and arbitrary variable.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No. Tweaking the game past anything but eliminating tripping is a very bad idea.

M2K says angling your shield up agaisnt the nado makes it less effective. M2K's word is law.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
M2K says angling your shield up agaisnt the nado makes it less effective. M2K's word is law.
That's a terrible attitude to have. I have just as much respect for M2K as the next guy, but you still can't accept everything without discussion.

OverLade

Smash Hero
No. Tweaking the game past anything but eliminating tripping is a very bad idea.

It does, but you can only shield it fully once. If they use it again you're screwed. Have you actually ever played someone who does nothing but spam nado? Depending on what character you are, there's either very little or NOTHING you can do.

But I understand that tripping is what's most important and most people have enough heart not to use Nado more than twice in a row anyway.

pridy

:]
i agree the mach tornado is one of the best moves in the game but still you can't take off the original power of a move and weaken. It's what makes meta knight, meta knight and for any other character also. But it still would be nice to test how it would be.

But the tripping issue is something that should be removed most definitely. Very situationally it can change the winner of a battle. Which also is due to someone who doesn't like competitiveness in smash Mr. Sakurai

Top Bottom