• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Please add me as a supporter. I want Sakurai add Waluigi to Smash Bros. post-haste. And then, I want Sakurai to reboot Golden Sun, and make Waluigi the main character in that, as well.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
That would be strange in so many ways:
-Why Dr.Waluigi and not just Waluigi?
-Why Dr.Waluigi and not Dr.Luigi?
-Why a second Dr.Mario Rep?

And Zabadoo i know both are made by camelot but why would they do that that seems like a bad idea every golden sun fan would hate waluigi even more.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
That would be strange in so many ways:
-Why Dr.Waluigi and not just Waluigi?
-Why Dr.Waluigi and not Dr.Luigi?
-Why a second Dr.Mario Rep?

And Zabadoo i know both are made by camelot but why would they do that that seems like a bad idea every golden sun fan would hate waluigi even more.
They're clearly joking about them wanting a Waluigi Golden Sun reboot.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Whooops my bad i must be very tired for not figure that out.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
For a while I was on the “He’s an assist trophy, there’s no way he can get in” train. But I realized if they really wanted to they could pull an Alfonzo.

Just like with Toon Link on Spirit Tracks, if Waluigi is in play and his assist gets summoned, they could cover it with a Dark Waluigi skin from Mario Tennis Aces. Maybe even give him Lucien in place of the regular tennis racket.

The question would be whether or not they would be willing to do such a thing. Here’s hoping :)

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Even pulling an Alfonzo seems quaint at this time. As someone pointed out a while back, Robin can summon Chrom while fighting Chrom. There are no rules.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I don’t get why some people say a playable Waluigi would have to wear different clothes than the Assist Trophy, and things like that. Literally all they need to do is make it so when you play as Waluigi, his Assist Trophy can’t be spawned in. They’ve already made it so certain Assists can’t be spawned on specific stages, so they can definitely do this.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yes, I was joking. And the Camelot thing was pure coincidence, haha.

But yeah, I don't get why everyone takes the concept of having multiple of the same character on the stage at once so dang seriously. We're talking about a party game where a team of four clones of the pizza-looking guy from the arcade can fight four clones of a dominatrix with guns strapped to her feet on a train in the middle of Hyrule. I think disbelief can be suspended a little further to the point that players see a lower-poly Waluigi with a tennis racket fused to his hand run around for fifteen seconds, and they don't think it's the playable character.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I don’t get why some people say a playable Waluigi would have to wear different clothes than the Assist Trophy, and things like that. Literally all they need to do is make it so when you play as Waluigi, his Assist Trophy can’t be spawned in. They’ve already made it so certain Assists can’t be spawned on specific stages, so they can definitely do this.
Uhm... if you're considering adding Waluigi right now in Smash 5 when his assist trohpy as given in the base game, like said, the easiset option would be just avoiding adding him to the assist roster in the beginning so no further concern takes the place. Even for costume, it would be nicer to just make it be the fighter's alternative costume.
Same for Smash 6 in the future, I don't think Nintendo would keep Waluigi's assist trohpy on purpose when they decide to add him to fighter roster.

I understand the technique you mean, just we don't see Nintendo add other Smash fighters to the assist list when they are not on the stage, so at this point we assume the assist roster and fighter roster are completely seperate. Except from Metal Mario and Dark Samus, who characters are technically different beings from the original characters despite their similiarity might confuse the players.

For visial differentiation, I guess some Toon Zelda series characters and Paper Mario, Baby Mario are available options for future assists as their designs are identifiable enough. But since we're getting Waluigi in his original form now, that is not the case here.

For a while I was on the “He’s an assist trophy, there’s no way he can get in” train. But I realized if they really wanted to they could pull an Alfonzo.
In this assumption, like said, they could had added Alfonzo to the assist trophy in the first so the assumed Toon Link assist trophy wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Uhm... if you're considering adding Waluigi right now in Smash 5 when his assist trohpy as given in the base game, like said, the easiset option would be just avoiding adding him to the assist roster in the beginning so no further concern takes the place. Even for costume, it would be nicer to just make it be the fighter's alternative costume.
Same for Smash 6 in the future, I don't think Nintendo would keep Waluigi's assist trohpy on purpose when they decide to add him to fighter roster.

We mostly assume Nintendo didn't try the method you mention since they didn't add other Smash fighters to the assist list when they are not on the stage. Except from Metal Mario and Dark Samus, just those characters are technically different beings from the original characters.

For visial differentiation, I guess some Toon Zelda series characters and Paper Mario, Baby Mario are available options for future assists as their designs are identifiable enough. But since we're getting Waluigi in his original form now, that is not the case here. =
I don’t really understand the argument you’re trying to make at all. For clarification, I’m obviously talking about adding Waluigi in now. If he’s added into the base game for Smash 6, they’ll get rid of his Assist Trophy just like all the other Assist Trophies that become playable.

You seem to be saying that if Waluigi’s becomes playable in Ultimate, why bother making him an Assist at all. Well, Sakurai and the development team can easily change their minds about a character being just an Assist Trophy, and make them a DLC character. Just because this hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

They obviously wouldn’t completely remove his Assist from Ultimate after making him playable, as that would just be throwing all that development time away. All they have to do is just turn the Assist Trophy off when you play as him.

(To give a specific example to fully understand, Alucard can’t be spawned on the Wii Fit Studio stage, likely because vampires don’t have reflections in mirrors).

The end of your post I can’t really understand because you typed it in a weird way (sorry).

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
You seem to be saying that if Waluigi’s becomes playable in Ultimate, why bother making him an Assist at all. Well, Sakurai and the development team can easily change their minds about a character being just an Assist Trophy, and make them a DLC character. Just because this hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it can’t happen.
They obviously wouldn’t completely remove his Assist from Ultimate after making him playable, as that would just be throwing all that development time away. All they have to do is just turn the Assist Trophy off when you play as him.

The end of your post I can’t really understand because you typed it in a weird way (sorry).
Well that's kinda controdictory here. As we know all fighter characters were decided before the game is in production, so I doubt that NIntendo would change their mind that easily. As you say they would be like wasting their time on doing Waluigi assist if they could had done other characters instead.
And for similiar reason, I think if Nintendo seriously considered Waluigi's potential as a fighter, they wouldn't had upgraded Waluigi's assist too.

I only say the fighter being asssist system could be generally implemented as a whole, so that we can also see Mario and Samus appear as assists in the current base game. It'd be weird if your assumption is specifically for Waluigi's entry to the fighter. More like it's just we want Waluigi to be a fighter at this point.

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Well that's kinda controdictory here. As we know all fighter characters were decided before the game is in production, so I doubt that NIntendo would change their mind that easily. As you say they would be like wasting their time on doing Waluigi assist if they could had done other characters instead.
And for similiar reason, I think if Nintendo seriously considered Waluigi's potential as a fighter, they wouldn't had upgraded Waluigi's assist too.

I only say the fighter being asssist system could be generally implemented as a whole, so that we can also see Mario and Samus appear as assists in the current base game. It'd be weird if your assumption is specifically for Waluigi's entry to the fighter. More like it's just we want Waluigi to be a fighter at this point.
Ok. You seem to be saying that if Waluigi is DLC, he wouldn’t be happening anytime soon. And I agree with you there.

I don’t think Waluigi is getting in the Fighter Pass, as like you said, the fighters for it were chosen before the game even came out. I don’t think Nintendo would have changed their minds on who would be in the Fighter Pass just to sneak in Waluigi.

However, IF they decide to do more DLC in the future, the team shouldn’t have to limit themselves by not using any Assist Trophy characters, especially when so many of them are very highly requested. And if they go this route, Waluigi shouldn’t be the only Assist that gets promoted, though he makes the most sense to be the first. The very earliest I can see Waluigi happen is as a separate bonus DLC right after the Fighter Pass, probably released awhile after February 2020.

And now I understand your idea of having playable characters being Assists. I don’t really see why they would do it, but it’s just an idea.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Uhm... if you're considering adding Waluigi right now in Smash 5 when his assist trohpy as given in the base game, like said, the easiset option would be just avoiding adding him to the assist roster in the beginning so no further concern takes the place.
If they wanted to add him, the simplest option is to just add him. The concern you speak of doesn't exist.
In this assumption, like said, they could had added Alfonzo to the assist trophy in the first so the assumed Toon Link assist trophy wouldn't happen.
I'm sorry, but you really need to improve your English, it's impossible to tell what you're trying to say.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
If they wanted to add him, the simplest option is to just add him. The concern you speak of doesn't exist.

I'm sorry, but you really need to improve your English, it's impossible to tell what you're trying to say.
As said all the fighters were decied in the beggining phase. AND by your words, I agree with you they could had just put Waluigi the fighter in the base game without inserting Waluigi the assist trophy. Unless you're assuming that NIntendo suddenly decides to add Waluigi after Smash 5 is released, that's another story.

I think the latter one is clear enough tho. I'm not the one that brought in the Alfonzo metaphor.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As said all the fighters were decied in the beggining phase. AND by your words, I agree with you they could had just put Waluigi the fighter in the base game without inserting Waluigi the assist trophy. Unless you're assuming that NIntendo suddenly decides to add Waluigi after Smash 5 is released, that's another story.

I think the latter one is clear enough tho. I'm not the one that brought in the Alfonzo metaphor.
What I'm saying is that if they wanted to add Waluigi as a DLC fighter, him having an AT wouldn't be an issue.

D

Deleted member

Heres my take on Waluigi's classic mode route

:ultrobin::ultchrom:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit:
:ultfox::ultfalco:
:ultyoshi: team
:ultpeach::ultdaisy: vs :ultdk::ultdiddy: vs :ultrosalina::ultkirby:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr: followed up by Giga Bowser.
:ultmario::ultluigi: followed up by Metal Mario and Luigi.

His theme is that he fight other duos. Hes teamed up with Wario in all of his battles.

Edit: i replaced the shotos for a team of Yoshis and let Kirby ( Luma ) take his vaccant spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Heres my take on Waluigi's classic mode route

:ultrobin::ultchrom:
:ultryu::ultken:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit:
:ultfox::ultfalco:
:ultpeach::ultdaisy: vs :ultdk::ultdiddy: vs :ultrosalina::ultyoshi:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr: followed up by Giga Bowser.
:ultmario::ultluigi: followed up by Metal Mario and Luigi.

His theme is that he fight other duos. Hes teamed up with Wario in all of his battles.
I'd rather it be based off of Assist Trophy team-ups, typically with someone who is considered popular. y'know, the basics and stuff

:ultfox: and Krystal
:ultganondorf: and Ghirahim
:ultsonic: and Shadow
:ultshulk: and Isaac
:ultsimon: and Alucard
:ultmarth: and Tiki
:ultduckhunt: and Prince of Sable/Takamaru/Sukapon

that type of stuff

D

Deleted member

I'd rather it be based off of Assist Trophy team-ups, typically with someone who is considered popular. y'know, the basics and stuff

:ultfox: and Krystal
:ultganondorf: and Ghirahim
:ultsonic: and Shadow
:ultshulk: and Isaac
:ultsimon: and Alucard
:ultmarth: and Tiki
:ultduckhunt: and Prince of Sable/Takamaru/Sukapon

that type of stuff
We have spirit battles for those. Waluigi's route doesnt need to be a glorified event match for its theme.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
My idea for a Classic mode for Waluigi is based on fighters who were once NPCs, and Mii costumes of AT characters:
  1. :ultcharizard::ultlittlemac:
  2. :ultchrom::ultisabelle:
  3. :ultdarksamus:
  4. :ultbrawler: team with Knuckles/Skull Kid/Spring Man costumes
  5. :ultgunner: team with Ray/Saki costumes
  6. :ultswordfighter: team with Ashley/Black Knight/Isaac/Takamaru/Vince costumes
Boss: :ultridley:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My idea for a Classic mode for Waluigi is based on fighters who were once NPCs, and Mii costumes of AT characters:
  1. :ultcharizard::ultlittlemac:
  2. :ultchrom::ultisabelle:
  3. :ultdarksamus:
  4. :ultbrawler: team with Knuckles/Skull Kid/Spring Man costumes
  5. :ultgunner: team with Ray/Saki costumes
  6. :ultswordfighter: team with Ashley/Black Knight/Isaac/Takamaru/Vince costumes
Boss: :ultridley:
I like your take an assist trophy route alot more. But if i were to make some changed i'd make it look more like this.

1. :ultcharizard:
2. :ultkingdedede:
3. :ultlittlemac:
4. :ultchrom:
5. :ultdarksamus:
6. :ultisabelle:
Boss: :ultridley: followed up by metal Ridley

Or

1. :ultisabelle:
2. :ultlittlemac:
3. :ultchrom:
4. :ultcharizard:
5. :ultkingdedede:
6. :ultdarksamus:
Boss: :ultridley: followed up by metal Ridley.

One order of fighters is in chronological order and the other is going from good guys to villians.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I see the case of Rosalina paired with Yoshi, just if the next Smash installment also introduces a second Wario fighter, that one would in a prior order of pairing with Wario. In that case an alternative pairing for Waluigi is needed. If plant piranha stays as a bonus maybe we see it and Waluigi consist of a troll team?

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
even made a moveset for him, he could be a semi-clone of Luigi.
Regardless of Luigi's own references, Waluigi and Luigi are too different in moves and shapes so that Waluigi is not a candidate of echo fighter, which would had made him in Smash 5. Very sure he will be his own unique fighter in the future if he is in.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Regardless of Luigi's own references, Waluigi and Luigi are too different in moves and shapes so that Waluigi is not a candidate of echo fighter, which would had made him in Smash 5. Very sure he will be his own unique fighter in the future if he is in.
I know Waluigi's moveset would be made from Scratch. And also, I think Waluigi could still use some of Luigi's moves.

In fact, Wario was originally going to be a clone of Mario in Melee, but he later made it into Brawl. However, instead of being a clone which was how it was initially planned, they decided to make his moveset from Scratch. Wario still could've worked as a clone of Mario, but he can't be an Echo due to his proportions. Same could go with Waluigi and Luigi. Waluigi could've still worked as a clone of Luigi, despite not being able to be an Echo.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I know Waluigi's moveset would be made from Scratch. And also, I think Waluigi could still use some of Luigi's moves.
Well such things have been discussed, Luigi's moves are based on Super Mario bros and Luigi's Mansion titles, there is nothing much left for Waluigi to share, and tbh I don't think they're any similiar as well.
Which is why people suggest Waluigi's moveset at this point can only be original moves based on his personality, with other spinoff references as side moves.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice

In fact, Wario was originally going to be a clone of Mario in Melee, but he later made it into Brawl. However, instead of being a clone which was how it was initially planned, they decided to make his moveset from Scratch. Wario still could've worked as a clone of Mario, but he can't be an Echo due to his proportions. Same could go with Waluigi and Luigi. Waluigi could've still worked as a clone of Luigi, despite not being able to be an Echo.
Can I have a source on that claim about Wario being planned as a clone for Melee. As far as I've known that has never been a thing. What I know is that Sakurai wanted to include Wario in Melee but couldn't, he even mentioned this in an interview

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Can I have a source on that claim about Wario being planned as a clone for Melee. As far as I've known that has never been a thing. What I know is that Sakurai wanted to include Wario in Melee but couldn't, he even mentioned this in an interview
Sorry, I made a mistake, what I meant that Wario could've still functioned as a clone of Mario.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I made a mistake, what I meant that Wario could've still functioned as a clone of Mario.
Pretty sure Wario has been in Mario/Wario Land since his debut, so he can have his own references and moveset if he was already added in Smash 1. And of course as we know Wario's current moveset is based on Warioware.

I'm kinda confused if you're really talking about Mario games?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Wario has been in Mario/Wario Land since his debut, so he can have his own references and moveset if he was already added in Smash 1. And of course as we know Wario's current moveset is based on Warioware.

I'm kinda confused if you're really talking about Mario games?
I'm saying that Wario and Mario can be clones because they could use similar abilities.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post; trolling
I see the case of Rosalina paired with Yoshi, just if the next Smash installment also introduces a second Wario fighter, that one would in a prior order of pairing with Wario. In that case an alternative pairing for Waluigi is needed. If plant piranha stays as a bonus maybe we see it and Waluigi consist of a troll team?
Wario never had a partner before and after Waluigi's debut.

I support Waluigi! And I've even made a moveset for him, he could be a semi-clone of Luigi.
I'm saying that Wario and Mario can be clones because they could use similar abilities.
You've obviously never played a Mario game if you think Wario and Waluigi should be semi clones. Their powers, stats, and proportions are wildly different from Mario and Luigi.

Now please get out of here and go back to writing bad Bomberman fanfics.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman

if you think Wario and Waluigi should be semi clones. Their powers, stats, and proportions are wildly different from Mario and Luigi.
Aren't we talking about just assumptions? I see yours assume only Waluigi is added but Wario doesn't get a partner from his games in the next round. I mean the case when both happen.

Yeah, totally agree about that part.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aren't we talking about just assumptions? I see yours assume only Waluigi is added but Wario doesn't get a partner from his games in the next round. I mean the case when both happen.
Its really difficult to understand what youre saying. The point im making is that Waluigi is Wario's main partner. He never worked with anyone in the Wario Land games and "Wario"ware he doesn't have one main partner, he has "friends" that he manipulates for his selfish gains.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

You've obviously never played a Mario game if you think Wario and Waluigi should be semi clones. Their powers, stats, and proportions are wildly different from Mario and Luigi.
Actually, I've played a number of Mario's games. Super Mario 3d world bring back those good old memories. I'm actually fine with Wario and Waluigi each having their own movesets from scratch.

You are almost correct, but not exactly. I was actually talking about what-if senarios. Also, we all already know that Mario and Luigi can use power ups. I think it's safe it assume that Wario and Waluigi can use them too. And I also think that it would be possible for Waluigi to use a replica of Luigi's Poltergust G-00. Wario could also use a replica of Mario's fludd.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Its really difficult to understand what youre saying. The point im making is that Waluigi is Wario's main partner. He never worked with anyone in the Wario Land games and "Wario"ware he doesn't have one main partner, he has "friends" that he manipulates for his selfish gains.
So let's just assume that both happen in Smash 6, I think it's weird to not pair Wario and the second Wario rep together. That says you have to pair him/her to with another Mario character that didn't intereact with before. I mean, it could be new and interesting, but not likely what NIntendo would do unless Nintendo have introduce more Wario characters in Mario games. I also disagree that Wario doesn't have good chemistry with his pals.

I think it's just an old topic that Waluigi and Wario's relationship doesn't get extra development outside sport games, so we cannot tell whether NIntendo is gonna highlight it in Smash bros. To me it'd be great to eventually see a game that focuses on this duo.

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I've played a number of Mario's games. Super Mario 3d world bring back those good old memories. I'm actually fine with Wario and Waluigi each having their own movesets from scratch.

You are almost correct, but not exactly. I was actually talking about what-if senarios. Also, we all already know that Mario and Luigi can use power ups. I think it's safe it assume that Wario and Waluigi can use them too. And I also think that it would be possible for Waluigi to use a replica of Luigi's Poltergust G-00. Wario could also use a replica of Mario's fludd.
It would be out of character for Waluigi to be a semi clone of Luigi though. Also, semi clones have a similar model to the character they are based on and Waluigi and Luigi do not have similar models at all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This topic is getting a temporary lock while it's being sorted out.

Just keep in mind we do not tolerate anyone trying to paint a target on someone's back or trying to drive others out of a thread. In addition, things are only going to get even harsher coming up.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Unlocked. Please keep debates civil.

D

Deleted member

So let's just assume that both happen in Smash 6, I think it's weird to not pair Wario and the second Wario rep together. That says you have to pair him/her to with another Mario character that didn't intereact with before. I mean, it could be new and interesting, but not likely what NIntendo would do unless Nintendo have introduce more Wario characters in Mario games. I also disagree that Wario doesn't have good chemistry with his pals.

I think it's just an old topic that Waluigi and Wario's relationship doesn't get extra development outside sport games, so we cannot tell whether NIntendo is gonna highlight it in Smash bros. To me it'd be great to eventually see a game that focuses on this duo.
It isnt weird because, and i dont know how to tell you this, but Wario IS a Mario character. His series of games is him going in his own adventures, just like Donkey Kong. So my points still stands.

And the elaborate further on "Wario"ware, Waluigi debuted as his main partner before "Wario"ware existed.

Wario's relationship with his "friends" is so bad, both in game and writing wise. His so called friends are living their own lives with Wario barely involved in them. Wario doesn't contribute anything important to the Ware cast and vice versa. Matter of fact hes barely in "his" own sub series. And like i said he manipulates his friends for his own selfish gains over and over again, half of his friends left him in D.I.Y because if it. Thats a pretty toxic friendship right there.

Not to mention there are more games of Wario and Waluigi working toghether then there are "Wario"ware games.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It isnt weird because, and i dont know how to tell you this, but Wario IS a Mario character. His series of games is him going in his own adventures, just like Donkey Kong. So my points still stands.

And the elaborate further on "Wario"ware, Waluigi debuted as his main partner before "Wario"ware existed.

Wario's relationship with his "friends" is so bad, both in game and writing wise. His so called friends are living their own lives with Wario barely involved in them. Wario doesn't contribute anything important to the Ware cast and vice versa. Matter of fact hes barely in "his" own sub series. And like i said he manipulates his friends for his own selfish gains over and over again, half of his friends left him in D.I.Y because if it. Thats a pretty toxic friendship right there.

Not to mention there are more games of Wario and Waluigi working toghether then there are "Wario"ware games.
As said, we never saw a game that directly focuses on Wario and Waluigi as a pair unlike how Mario's relationship with Yoshi, Luigi or Bowser all have respectively been highlighted in different games. And since Waluigi is not included in the Wario main cast, I dont think you can tell that Nintendo does want to highlight the relationship between these two characters.

Again, you didn't explain which fighter would be paired with an assumed Wario character if you insist that these two cannot be paired.. Unless we get two Wario fighters in Smash 6, but that is kinda optimistic.

And since Wario is officially representing his own series in Smash bros, it is pointless to say that he must be paired with a Mario character in any future Smash game.

Like said, I don't mind to see a Wario&Waluigi get a story. And if Nintendo refuse to do that, I would rather see Waluigi get some development with another character to be his alternative partner when Wario is busy with his adventure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom