• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new outlook on the amount of characters.

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
So as i was playing with my usual smash group (as we do every week) i noticed that we each try to use multiple charaters (i try to rotate between 5 they do about 3-4). Granted, this is because the game is new and we are still trying to find a real soild main. I also noticed that despite this we still cover a very small amout of the cast (about 13 between 4 of us with little to no overlap) and this made us all begin to realize just how many characters there are. Personaly i thought 35 was small at first (most of us expected/hoped for more) but now im starting to appriciate that number. So does anyone else notice this or feel the same way? How many characters do you play with regularly?

Jafar

Smash Cadet
Its a great number.

I pick random when i feel like trying new people but to think by choosing random i wouldnt get
peach bowser and zelda 100 times.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
For some reason, my wii is convinced that the "random" button is actually the "yoshi" button. Occasionally it can be persuaded to believe it's the "Ganondorf" button, but it's a pretty strict follower of "yoshi".

milind4

Smash Apprentice
i never felt it was a small number, since i took it to be 39 and told myself that it was 13 more than melee with a lot more unique movesets...

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
At first, I thought it was small. Now, when I see a list, I'm freaking out. The tiers discussion has its work cut out for them.

Corigames

Smash Hero
In melee, there were 26 characters (Zelda/Shiek thing), and knowing the difference in ability for the characters as well as understanding their capabilities was very important. You don't fight a Marth in the same way that you would a Peach. Then again, you really never had to worry much about fighting half the list of characters because no one played them, and, even if they did, it usually wasn't a challenge worth thinking about.

In Brawl, yes there are a lot more characters, but I see the same thing happening. Once people start to leave the local (friends family) scene and start participating with strangers at tournaments, we are going to see what characters are bad and which are good. After that, I expect to see less diversity in characters, so you don't have to remember as much. Although, even if 25-30 still end up being played, associating moves and general understandings of a characters movesets/possible techniques with the picture of the character isn't that hard.

NKCell

Smash Cadet
It's not that I felt 35 was small, just that the selection wasn't that great. More than half the cast I'm not crazy about and would have liked to see more unique characters from a greater selection of series. Do we need 4-6 Mario characters (with people clamoring for more)? We have a ton of Pokemon as well. I want to see some Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Eternal Darkness love (alright, those are pipe dreams but whatever).

But... yeah... Classic is a pain in the ***. I only have 8 characters to finish but it still feels like a lot.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
35 is a perfectly acceptable number. The problem is the people used to fill those 35. Everytime characters like Isaac, Ray, and Saki pop out as assist trophies, it makes me depressed that instead of being able to play characters like them, I get three variations on Fox, Link Jr., and an NES accessory. :/

Make of it what you will, I suppose.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
35 is a perfectly acceptable number. The problem is the people used to fill those 35. Everytime characters like Isaac, Ray, and Saki pop out as assist trophies, it makes me depressed that instead of being able to play characters like them, I get three variations on Fox, Link Jr., and an NES accessory. :/

Make of it what you will, I suppose.
Link Jr. and the 'NES accessory' are two of my three mains...I'll Bowsercide you for such blasphemy.

But, yeah, back on topic, I play about 15-17 chars, rotate around mainly 6-7 (T. Link/Pit/Bowser/R.O.B./Ike/Lucas/Peach). Variety is NICE.

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
It would be difficult to enlarge the cast without even more repetition in style. Just having even more characters isn't necessarily better... Sakurai, instead of piling on as many as possible, went with what he felt was the right number of characters.

I'm VERY happy with the results, and it's good to see other people coming around as well.

Exactly, Executive. There really isn't enough variety in the selection, some people think. Look at the Isaac assist trophy, and tell me that he couldn't have an insanely fun movest. And Toon Link, though he may play differently than Link, still has a very similar moveset.

And no, Lucario does not feel at all like Mewtwo, excepting maybe when using the Aura Sphere.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
*Cough* If there is a next time. *cough*

I seem to have gotten over the amount of characters a while ago. I am still a little disappointed with the selections though, and one of those fox-clones may be my main as well. I seem to like him more and more as I play with him. But, I'll manage with the characters we have now; it's still an improvement from Melee; that's what we all have to keep telling ourselves, I guess.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
yeah I really like the amount of characters except I normally get Captain Falcon or Diddy when I pick random

majora_787

Smash Hero
I see it this way: There should at least be more characters than the last game and I'm good. it went from 12 to 26 to 39.

I think it's great, 39 characters with 38 unique movesets. great job. I hope they can pass 45 for the fourth game. yes deep in my heart I know there will be a SSB4. =D

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
In Melee, I could match any character to someone I know except for Pichu. In the original, I could match any character to someone I know. In Brawl, there are six characters that I can't think of anyone who ever uses them.

Wolf is really the only character the game could do without, in my opinion.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I hate All-Star mode now. Just imagine if we had like 50 character like people wanted before. Holy crap. It'd have to be Franchise All-Star mode where you play one character per franchise to go through it or something, cause there's way too many characters otherwise.. or something of that nature.

The characters I disagree with being on the roster (well let me say that I like them, I just think they're just not needed) are Pokemon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, Wolf, Ness and Toon Link. Jigglypuff and ROB are arguably not necessary, too. Ness all along should've been replaced by Lucas, like was originally intended. Who would've ever thought of Zamus, anyway? I've always wanted Samus without her suit in the game, since the original, but.. it's just not necessary. Ridley was the Metroid rep that was really wanted the most. If a new Starfox character had to be added, it should've been Krystal, not Wolf. But really and truly, a new rep's not needed. Same with Toon Link. There's technically 4 Zelda characters without Toon Link, so.. why another clone? I like ROB though, he's unique.

Whatever, I guess this is all my opinion. I just wish they would've branched out a little more in franchise representation, instead of just mostly adding new characters from old franchises.

NKCell

Smash Cadet
If I could, I'd get rid of ROB. I've tried to get over him, but he just rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps because he's just an accessory... I don't know. Stupid Robot.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I think 35 is a good number. I actually hope that nintendo in SSB4 (and yes, there had BETTER be one) gets rid of some characters no one uses and replaces them with no characters, but doesn't add new characters (or at least not very many). Its getting hard to do classic with all the characters etc.

Imp

Smash Apprentice
35 is nice, no doubt, but would anyone truly be butt hurt if there was 50 or more? I wouldn't. More the merrier.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I'm loving the amount of characters. Tourneys were dominated by the same characters. Even at home, with people who had no idea of tourneys and tiers, only a few characters were played because, well, you want to win right?

So far, this time around, theres not one character on the roster that somebody isn't trying to play. Its fantastic. That will most likely change come tournament time, but right now, things are really nice in terms of character diversity. I freakin loved Melee, but **** it is nice to see all the characters isn't it?

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I play about 10 or 11 characters. I main at LEAST 6. That's really nice. 35 IS a lot :D

Although, as with most fans, I hope for EVEN more in Smash 4 (Sakurai hinted at it, biznitches!!!)

Tiwaz

Smash Cadet
I actually like this roster. It's larger than I thought at first and we actually use a larger number of characters now (In Melee, out of four we used about 11 different characters. In Brawl, we use 20 different characters).

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot
i would keep everyone but
get rid of sheik or make her a stand alone character
get krystal, she's alright i guess?
put in meta-ridely
put in dark samus with phazon based attacks
add claus
add mewtwo
GET RID of MR. Game and watch!!!
put back in roy
lastly for the pokemon series, add missingno. :)

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
i would keep everyone but
get rid of sheik or make her a stand alone character
get krystal, she's alright i guess?
put in meta-ridely
put in dark samus with phazon based attacks
add claus
add mewtwo
GET RID of MR. Game and watch!!!
put back in roy
lastly for the pokemon series, add missingno. :)

Dark Samus and Krystal I agree with, though I see DS as being just a Samus clone.

Claus is just Lucas's twin. Pointless to make another Luigified clone of Ness methinks.

Mewtwo...maybe, if they improve him past the uselessness he exhibited in Melee.

Sheik as a standalone doesn't make sense considering she was designed to work in tandem with Zelda. Also, separating two characters that are more or less the same person doesn't make much sense, either,

G&W is cool and was unique in Melee, one of the few hidden characters that wasn't a clone. Plus he's a symbol of a bygone era in Nintendo's history. It would be ludicrous to remove him now.

Meta-Ridley is too big to put as a playable fighter. Don't give me that "he was as big as Samus in the original" bull either. He fits best as a boss in the 1P modes.

Roy is an inferior clone of Marth and was only included in Melee to promote the newest Fire Emblem game at the time. He doesn't deserve the slot. Marth was the original and Ike is the new blood. Roy is forgettable.

And the last one is obviously a joke so I won't bother responding.

--------------

Most of the assist trophies are characters I would've loved to see as playable. Especially Waluigi. I also secretly want Shy-Guy as a character. He would be fun to use, no?

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Missingno is actually a viable rep. He's probably one of the most well known Pokemon.

If they had at least put in a Missingno trophy, I would've forgiven Sakurai for everything bad that he did to Brawl.

WilldaBeast

Smash Apprentice
Think about it, there are not many games, that have more than 35-40 characters. But anyways I had trouble choosing a character for matches in Melee, so it's tough for me sometimes, but I try to use everyone.

But stil;l, my perfect roster would have been the roster now + Knuckles, King K. Rool, Bowser JR., Isaac and Black Shadow. (I hoped he would be in to make HIM have a similar moveset to the captain and make Ganondorf with his sword.)

PhillipthaGoober

Smash Journeyman
They should have include maybe 5 more. Geno, K. Rool, Krystal, Bowser Jr., Isaac, Ray, Mewtwo, and Tails could have made cool playable characters.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I mainly voted on Ray 01, Isaac, Knuckles, Geno, and Krystal.

Geno would be amazing.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
I am pretty satisfied with the roster, or at least have com to accept it at this point. Besides, i have been pleasantly surprised by a couple of the characters i wasn't too happy to see make it, ROB is a perfect example as he now stands as my main.h

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Like everyone else in the beginning, 35 sounded to low to me, I was hoping for 45 or more. Now after playing for a few weeks, I'm stating to realize how varied everything is and that using 5 characters is hardly enough!

Luv2Brawl

Smash Rookie
35 was great for me. I respect Olimar for his strength (he's actually pretty **** good) I'm not a fan, and I felt like my intelligence was insulted putting R.O.B. as a playable character. I expected Wolf to be playable since I saw Wolf in the intro of Melee. I've accepted that Roy was just a cheap version of Marth, don't care about Mewtwo or the others.

Having said all that, i still wished for more, like Mega Man, and Grey Fox and Tails being playable characters, but you take what you can get.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
Megaman would have been the MAN. At the sametime i feel now that 35 doesnt seem so much for some reason...but if they had like more than 45 or so - I wouldnt play AllStar Mode

Top Bottom