• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new outlook on the amount of characters.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Yes, character quality is certainly lacking.

I see no sword-holding Ganondorf. Perhaps this would only give us another sword-holding character, but still. Sakurai's only real reason for not making him different would be "Ganondorf Melee mainers are too used to him!!!" ... :laugh:

Toon Link could've EASILY been made different from Link. Mewtwo should've come back over that useless puffball known as Jigglypuff. :mad:

Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu can die. Me = Roy/Dr. Mario mainer.

Metroid did NOT get more representation. Ridley would've filled the spot best. Anyone who gives me any HE'Z 2 BIG crap can get hit by a fully-charged Giga Bowser F-Smash with a 300% handicap as Jigglypuff on 2.0 damage ratio... Because of tripping. HMPH.

Dark Samus could also have given Metroid more representation. Anyone who brings up the clone argument... I pity you. No, not really.

Bowser Jr. could've given Mario a deserved fifth rep. WHY IN THE WORLD DO PEOPLE SAY MARIO IS OVER-REPPED?

Star Fox is completely fine character-wise. Based on the time of his picks, Sakurai couldn't have used Star Fox: Assault to make Wolf and Falco even more different from Fox.

Earthbound I don't care about.

R.O.B. is fine. He's a robot! :O

Olimar, Game and Watch, Pit, IC's are fine. Especially Pit and Olimar.

Wario, Diddy are fine. I could've seen Kamek as a Yoshi rep, but that overrepping.

That's pretty much it. 40 characters or so would've been nice. Maybe cut out Masterpieces and MAYBE Stickers.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
35 never seemed too small to me. In fact, it was the number I predicted we'd get (so since we really got, like, 39, I guess my expectations have been exceeded).

Actually, this reminds me of a funny thing that happened just today.

My friends, Ben and Becky, were over at my house today. Ben is into Smash; Becky is not. Becky hasn't played a Smash game since the original. She's not a fan. Regardless, we got her to play a match.
But before that, when we were at the character selection screen, she literally just sat there, thrusting her control stick every which way, hovering over all the characters and asking "Why are there so many?"

I think that's the right mindset to be in. Since she was used to the 12 characters of SSB64, seeing thrice as many characters to pick from was overwhelming to her. When you expect to see such a small number, you're happily surprised to see more. Since so many people just expected 40-45+ for no reason, they were let down. No offense, but that's what you get for being greedy.

The fact of the matter is, it's still more than Melee. If 35 seems small to you, how did you survive on 25? It doesn't make sense to me. Even with 50 characters, it's not like you'd legitimately play with all of them. The only thing that matters is WHICH characters take up the spots, not how many spots there are to take up.

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
you take out game and watch, and you practically take out one side of the gameplay.
another version samus would be a rip of samus, like capt f. and ganon.

meta ridley would be cool, but i think he would handle something like ike, on account of his flying abiilty.
and adding roy again would be fantastic.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
No offense, but that's what you get for being greedy.
"No offence" but some of us might have had expectations that exceeding a grain of salt.

If 35 seems small to you, how did you survive on 25?
Grudgingly.

Anyway. 35 seemed extremely small when I heard about it. It still seems small. I already say "This needs more characters" which is what I said for 2006-2007 in melee. What I mean though really isn't more characters, although that'd be excellent, but better selections. I couldn't give a hoot for over half of the new arrivals.

I also question why some people are amazed at how so-and-so hasn't played all the characters yet. *Duh*. That doesn't really mean there are a ton of characters, that means characters exist of which you're not very excited about. If you were excited for them, you'd have played them by now.

I'm also tired of this "We use more characters!" stuff I keep reading. Obviously that's not an indication on the amount of characters, that's simply showing everybody that things appear to be more balanced. I myself have about 5 regular characters I play, but only two of these characters are not just characters I tried playing back in Melee, but couldn't because they were worthless. If they had literally re-released Melee with things more balanced, I'd still play more characters, which would be a jump from the lowly 2 I actually did play, despite there being no actual additions to the roster.

In short. The amount of characters you're playing is no indication of the size of the roster. Unless you somehow regularly main more than 26.

That fact that you may not have played every character yet is also of no indication of the roster size.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I'm ambivalent about the amount of characters. I love that there is so many people that there is much more strategy than in Melee, even tho I tend to stick to 1 character. On the flip side, it's a pain in my *** to beat Classic/Boss Battles/All Star 35 times with characters I hate like Ice Climbers or Lucas. Thats just me tho

Zevox

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm over caring about the amount of characters one way or the other.

One thing I can say impresses me about the roster though is the number of them that I really enjoy playing. Back in the original game, I really only played Captain Falcon and occasionally Link. In Melee, that shifted to Marth and Link, with Captain Falcon's changes completely turning me away from him. Now in Brawl, even though I found a clear main (Lucas) just as I did in both of the previous games, there are plenty of characters I also play frequently besides him - King Dedede, Marth, Ike, and Sonic are the biggest, since I'm best with them, but theres also Lucario, R.O.B., Pit, Olimar, Diddy, and even Snake, who I never figured I'd use at all - and thats not even all of them. I now have to actually consider who to play as before starting a match. That, to me, is more important the number of characters on the roster.

Zevox

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I think the amount of characters we have now is great. And what's even better is that they all seem pretty balanced now (with the exception of a few guys). I main Ike and Lucas but sometimes I just go ahead and pick the random panel. 35 possible outcomes...As I like to say, "Random Panel is for cool kids!"

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Go play Melee and look at the seclection screen after playing Brawl for a long time and you will be like "holy crap that's all?"

Made me appreciate the number 35 (not that I ever had a problem with the roster.)

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Anybody who thinks or has ever thought that 35 characters (+ Zamus, Shiek) is too few has obviously never played any other fighting game.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
Although I'm not entirely thrilled with the final outcome, I am surprised on how many of the brawl characters are starting to grow on me. In Melee, I only had about 3 characters that I used often. Now in Brawl, there's like 7 or 8 characters that I like to use. I still wish there were more quirky/unorthodox type characters in the game (personal preference).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i kinda wish they had put some more ppl in there, a lot of those assist trophies would have made great chars. (im looking at you lyndis) and i think some times iin the future im going to put my token on the random slot and while im playing ill be thinking about who i shouldve been playing when i put my token there...

geno

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
I think that 35 is okay, and the reps were okay in my eyes.

The three Foxes I have gotten over. Wolf is different. Falco has been slightly decloned.

Toon Link I like. Think of him not as a newcomer, but as an upgraded Young Link. New name, same status. Except now he has differences!

R.O.B. Pissed me off. Yes. But then I read a bit. He saved nintendo. He was a sneaky way to sell the Nes. It was not the wooden horse that did the fighting at Troy, but it was needed to let the battlers do their work. Thus the horse gets mentioned. So does Robby.

Ganondorf is the only one that annoys me. All that time, and one move change. Yes, that annoyed me. I am just going to pretend ganondorf has a cool moveset that I am not skilled enough to play with.

Ness is a wonder to me. How can people be irritated at him? He was there first. Just because Lucas is better than him, we should not condemn him.

See? Everyone else is new and loved. I will love this game when I eventually get it. (also the balance issue is good.)

J18

Smash Journeyman
i pretty much play with all of the newcomers. the veterans bore me =]
but it would've been nice to see a ridley or a bowser jr. or a wolf link.
but i'm still happy with sonic

D

Deleted member

Indeed, there are many characters in this game. How do I know? Wolf O'Donnel.

And LavisFiend, we can dream. Tabuu for SSB4!

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
too right. Ness is legendary. Lucas is an unneeded clone.
What bugs me about Lucas being added is that it feels like HAL is taunting us. It's like they're saying...

Mother 3 is such an awesome game, we're gonna put stuff from it in Smash Bros.
Here's the hero...
And a boss...
And a stage...
And even an item!
Cool, right?
Oh by the way, Mother 3 isn't available in the U.S., har har
Will we release it eventually?
Probably not.
Whatcha gon' do 'bout it? MWAHAHAHAHA

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
35 characters is amazing.

Realized more and more by obtaining their regular and final smash trophies...

You have to be hardcore ungrateful not to appreciate who and how many have been included.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
"No offence" but some of us might have had expectations that exceeding a grain of salt.

Grudgingly.

Anyway. 35 seemed extremely small when I heard about it. It still seems small. I already say "This needs more characters" which is what I said for 2006-2007 in melee. What I mean though really isn't more characters, although that'd be excellent, but better selections. I couldn't give a hoot for over half of the new arrivals.

I also question why some people are amazed at how so-and-so hasn't played all the characters yet. *Duh*. That doesn't really mean there are a ton of characters, that means characters exist of which you're not very excited about. If you were excited for them, you'd have played them by now.

I'm also tired of this "We use more characters!" stuff I keep reading. Obviously that's not an indication on the amount of characters, that's simply showing everybody that things appear to be more balanced. I myself have about 5 regular characters I play, but only two of these characters are not just characters I tried playing back in Melee, but couldn't because they were worthless. If they had literally re-released Melee with things more balanced, I'd still play more characters, which would be a jump from the lowly 2 I actually did play, despite there being no actual additions to the roster.

In short. The amount of characters you're playing is no indication of the size of the roster. Unless you somehow regularly main more than 26.

That fact that you may not have played every character yet is also of no indication of the roster size.
Sadly I have to agree with this... none of the characters I wanted for Brawl made it... not even characters I KINDA wanted made it in. <.<; And don't say it's because "Your expectations were too high" or "You're greedy"... I had expectations which at the time were pretty reasonable, and probably more reasonable than some of the additions added too... and 35 STILL seems like a disappointing number to me, especially considering that clones still exist... All Star was a pain but I'd be willing to pause the game and continue the next day or so if that means I can have my desired characters become playable. >.<

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Here's the thing when I think about the roster: In the long run, it won't matter if (Insert character here) is in or not, because having one more character won't make the game much better than it is. Adding, say, issac won't change how much you enjoy the game. The gameplay is the gameplay, whether you can be issac or not doesn't change that.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I play EVERY character regularly except Fox, Marth, and Ice Climbers.
I mean, I have my 3 favorites
(Lucas, PT, Oli)
But, it is nice having such variety, I am VERY upset knowing what could have been, and also that okay
Link and Toon Link and The Spacies....
They are not similar enough that it would make programming them easier than a completely new characters. So it makes me mad that instead of a NEW original awesome character. I got these dudes. They should have been other, cooler characters, or have WAY different movesets. just...arg...
oh well

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I use about 29 of the 39 characters. I'm not THAT good, though I beat everyone that has played me (All of my friends are casualists. WTF?).

The characters I don't use are:
Marth- His gayness in melee was enough for me to make a vow, never to use him (except in subspace).
Diddy-
Snake: I don't know... There's just something about him I just don't like...[/quote
Olimar- His gayness in brawl is enough for me to never use him (even in subspace).
Sonic- Man, this guy sucks... Pichu is better than this guy.
Yoshi-
Snake: I just don't like this guy. [/quote
Ice C- Not a big fan of desynching...
Pit- So I herd u liek gay pplz.
Peach- My friends pause repeatedly to see her panties. Unplayable.
Jiggly- Not using until I learn something cool with her that'll make her more fun to play with. (Not in the way you're thinking)
Ness- I still have that fear of people jumping into my PK thunder to kill me early. Plus, his PKt is harder to aim.

At first, I thought 39 characters wasn't enough, considering the many others that could take up more space. After playing All-Star mode and Classic, I feel like it's too much.

If I could replace someone, I would put Krystal over Wolf, Toon Link with Dark Samus (I r Metroid fanboy), and Lucario with Mewtwo. Even though I like how Lucario plays in Brawl, I feel like Mewtwo could perform the task better.

I use a lot of characters because it's fun. I'm still maining Samus/Zamus though. Metroid F-T-W

pirkid

Smash Lord
12 to 26 to 39 is a definate improvement, and me and my friends often spread across the cast when battling.

We all have 3-5 mains, which is great because every battle is different.

Smashruler

Smash Apprentice
At first i though it was a small-medium amount but now its more than enough/just right.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
I think we've all got over the roster. None of the Big Three (Geno, Ridley, Krystal) got in, as did many other hopeful characters, but all of the characters in Brawl are deserving of their spot (except for Wolf and Toon Link).

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the lack of alternate costumes. The only one we got was Wario's overalls, whereas every character has at least one potential costume - Mario, Marth, Lucario and Pikachu should have easily got Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo and Pichu costumes (respectively) to honour their fallen status. I figure that, for SSB4 (or Brawl DX, if that ever comes out), we'll only get a few more characters but a lot more costumes.

Infectedpo

Smash Rookie
More important than the number of combatants are two things: their depth and their uniqueness. As long as they're not stepping on each others' toes regarding playstyle, then the more the better.
I would actually prefer a game with three extremely deep fighters than one with thirty shallow fighter.

That being said, Brawl's roster is as satisfying as it is daunting. Many characters occupy thier own niche, which I love. It is going to take me a long time to become comfortable with them all.

D

Deleted member

I think we've all got over the roster. None of the Big Three (Geno, Ridley, Krystal) got in, as did many other hopeful characters, but all of the characters in Brawl are deserving of their spot (except for Toon Link).

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the lack of alternate costumes. The only one we got was Wario's overalls, whereas every character has at least one potential costume - Mario, Marth, Lucario and Pikachu should have easily got Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo and Pichu costumes (respectively) to honour their fallen status. I figure that, for SSB4 (or Brawl DX, if that ever comes out), we'll only get a few more characters but a lot more costumes.
Fix'd.

10wolfhaters

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I love Brawls roster... in Melee it was dominated by a few key characters but I've seen people use everyone although some characters have a lot more popularity then others.

Right now I like all the characters and even among the clone characters the differences are too great to dismiss. It's great cause I play about half the cast regularly and the other half occasionally. 39 total characters is great for diversity and all the characters have decent enough characteristics to main any one also the balance is great, many people think Yoshi is terrible and Pit is top tier yet I can give Pit one hell of a fight with Yoshi and many times I walk away the victor.

39 characters is awesome and I would hate to see any of them go.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I use about 29 of the 39 characters. I'm not THAT good, though I beat everyone that has played me (All of my friends are casualists. WTF?).

The characters I don't use are:
Marth- His gayness in melee was enough for me to make a vow, never to use him (except in subspace).
Diddy- Snake: I don't know... There's just something about him I just don't like...
Olimar- His gayness in brawl is enough for me to never use him (even in subspace).
Sonic- Man, this guy sucks... Pichu is better than this guy.
Yoshi- Snake: I just don't like this guy.
Ice C- Not a big fan of desynching...
Pit- So I herd u liek gay pplz.
Peach- My friends pause repeatedly to see her panties. Unplayable.
Jiggly- Not using until I learn something cool with her that'll make her more fun to play with. (Not in the way you're thinking)
Ness- I still have that fear of people jumping into my PK thunder to kill me early. Plus, his PKt is harder to aim.

At first, I thought 39 characters wasn't enough, considering the many others that could take up more space. After playing All-Star mode and Classic, I feel like it's too much.

If I could replace someone, I would put Krystal over Wolf, Toon Link with Dark Samus (I r Metroid fanboy), and Lucario with Mewtwo. Even though I like how Lucario plays in Brawl, I feel like Mewtwo could perform the task better.

I use a lot of characters because it's fun. I'm still maining Samus/Zamus though. Metroid F-T-W
I laugh at you because you said Olimar was gay. I should have a red pikmin cook you and then a purple pikmin eat you. :D That is my thought on that. Anyways. I like the number of characters. Though I am sad that we see 3 space animal variations where we could have seen other, more original characters. Oh well.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
They are really 39 characters. It is a BIG roster. Melee was already big. And the truth is that Melee was WAY unbalanced compared to Brawl. We have 39 characters and so many people to become pro with everyone of them. I am very happy that this game seems incredibly BALANCED. I've seen ALL CHARACTERS kick *** when used correctly. There is no god tier, or broken character. I don't know what will happen in the future with tiers, but for now, I see all characters equally strong. So, unlike Melee, we don't have the usual Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth gang at tournaments. It's amazing the variety we can now see on videos and tournaments. I congratulate Sakurai, he did an excellent job with characters and balance.

I like to try all characters. But my mains are like about 6 or 7. It is hard for me to pick a main because unlike Melee, there is no perfect character here. To any advantage (speed) come a disadvantage (lack of power ) and viceversa. Probably until I fall in love with a character style, special moves, and presence on the battlefield, so I may challange any other player around the world with, I will keep trying those I like to use.

Top Bottom