• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new Link tactic revealed! Video Released!

Gea

Smash Master
I wish more people used their second jump right by the ledge and thought it was safe, cause I would **** them with plenty of Marth forward smashes.

This trick (while not really a trick or anything new for that matter) isn't horrible, but it isn't great by any means. The biggest farce is that you claim it to be safe... I mean, this is redundant, but you are using your 2nd jump right by the ledge!!! The assumption that this is also so tricky that people will be taken aback by it is nonsense too. I guarantee any decently observant Marth would catch you in a tipper most of the times you attempt that (within reason). I suppose it's safe if your opponent is on the other side of the level when you do it, but then again it's probably safer to not spend time wavedashing back and using your double jump.
MookieRah for top tier!

Skler

Smash Master
I said it was situational, so use it in the right situation. If they are close enough to hit you then you should be getting up by some other means. If they are waiting for you to get on the stage to knock you back off this has a use, because it gets you something that will almost always give you a safe way up.

I should rephrase that this technique is only safe if you use it in the right situation. Some characters are just vulnerable to Link's ledgehops, they back off so as soon as Link touches the ground they can hit him with something, this will help against those characters (and that style of play people use).

Pup n' Suds ftw.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i don't think it's safe. like, if they saw it coming, you're *****. no second jump =/

marth wavedash forward > fsmash would completely own this.

also, Skler, did you really throw a vanilla shake in Val's face?

DaDoC

Smash Rookie
uhh guys as soon as you start the bomb animation anybody can hit you with fair or nair so long as they didnt run away. and im sorry links ledgehopped attacks aren't that scary, noones are. theyre edgeguarding you, unless they're very noobish they wont run away.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
shiek could run up and fair, fox could run up and shine, falco could run up and dair, samus could wavedash forward > fsmash... I could go on.

The point is, if they know it's coming, you'll probably get *****. >_>

It's a good concept... I just don't know if it's an effective technique or not. I'll play with it. >_>

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
GAW could totally short hop some nines. Come on sky, seriously. How could you forget the nines!

Skler

Smash Master
If you bother trying to do this when in a punishable position you should get punished. It's a technique just like any other technique, it has times to do it and times not to do it. figure out when to use it and use it then (it really shouldn't be used much, it's just something cool Link can do). Also Falco isn't fast enough to run from a spot where he is safe from ledgehops to a spot where he can hit you off the edge in the time it takes to do this tech. Maybe with perfect reactions Falco could dash and do a nair to tap you off once the bomb animation has started, but really that just won't happen. If you see him start the dash early you just let yourself grab the edge from the waveland

If you do a wavedash in front of Marth with Link you get fsmashed. Wavedashing must suck because when used in the wrong situation you get punished.

Unless whoever you are playing has no reason to believe you will come down with an attack instead of a bomb (yes, people do that to get above their opponent so Link's nair has more priority and it's good) then you should be able to get away with this once or twice. Unless they play Marth, then nothing you do on the edge works, ever (really).

A technique can't really be bad (unless it can only bring you from a good situation to a bad one no matter what), but it can have bad uses. Even the spinhog isn't a bad technique, it just has very few practical uses.

Gea

Smash Master
The point was why waste the time with the edge if they are too far away? And if they are close, why give up your second jump? It is just flashy.

Aesir

Smash Master
>_> lol wut?

yeah, i don't think it's safe. like, if they saw it coming, you're *****. no second jump =/
lulz any move is stupid if they see it coming. also link with no double jump isn't a dead link just relaly close to being a dead link! LOL

marth wavedash forward > fsmash would completely own this.
the marth has to anticipate this. wavedash > fsmash isn't instant.

also, Skler, did you really throw a vanilla shake in Val's face?
Yes he did.

Skler

Smash Master
The point was why waste the time with the edge if they are too far away? And if they are close, why give up your second jump? It is just flashy.
I would waste the time because Link with a bomb > Link without a bomb. Also Link is slow. If you land on the stage most characters can start harassing you right away (thereby not letting you pull a bomb), if you get on the stage with a bomb you tend to get some space.

If they are close use a ledgehopped attack/roll up/stand up/get up attack/WD up, if none of those options make sense when why not get a bomb to have a much safer return to the stage? If you waveland off most people except you to regrab the edge and be invincible. By the time you are double jumping and pulling the bomb they have maybe a half second to react. If you did it at the proper distance that isn't enough time for them to land an attack, let alone one powerful enough to stop Link from getting back with a bomb in hand (yes, bomb jumping is used).

I never said use this tech while they are close, you decide when to use it, so you decide how useful it will be.

EDIT: Val deserved it.

Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Alright, first let me say that I am confused on what you are saying. You are saying that from the ledge, waveland onto the ground, use a double jump and pull out a bomb and regrab the edge?

I looked up and down this topic looking for a vid. So if its different then what I'm about to talk about I apologize. Now the tactic, doesn't really sound useful. However situational it may be using a double jump near the ledge is very bad. Yes having a bomb in your hand is better than NOT having a bomb in your hand. It is still very hard to recover even with a bomb in your hand. If your at the ledge, your at the ledge. The only way to get back on is to hope the opponent doesn't catch on to whatever tactic your about to use to get back on. With a bomb in your hand however you lower your options since any attack you do with the bomb in your hand will launch the bomb.

Now what I'm trying to understand is when are you using this tech. When your trying to recover, or when your trying to edge gaurd. If you have enough time to pull this tactic off while trying to recover then.....I don't know why your going BACK to the ledge. Now edge gaurding, maybe. There are still better ways to do things.

Just to give you a heads up on any situation you might use this on. If you have enough time to pull out a bomb from what your talking about, its better to get onto the ledge and stay on there. Next thing, using a double jump near the ledge while pulling out the bomb is extremely dangerous. For the fact that Links, invincible frames are really short.

I'll check back later to see if you guys posted anything.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
If you bother trying to do this when in a punishable position you should get punished. It's a technique just like any other technique, it has times to do it and times not to do it. figure out when to use it and use it then (it really shouldn't be used much, it's just something cool Link can do). Also Falco isn't fast enough to run from a spot where he is safe from ledgehops to a spot where he can hit you off the edge in the time it takes to do this tech. Maybe with perfect reactions Falco could dash and do a nair to tap you off once the bomb animation has started, but really that just won't happen. If you see him start the dash early you just let yourself grab the edge from the waveland

If you do a wavedash in front of Marth with Link you get fsmashed. Wavedashing must suck because when used in the wrong situation you get punished.

Unless whoever you are playing has no reason to believe you will come down with an attack instead of a bomb (yes, people do that to get above their opponent so Link's nair has more priority and it's good) then you should be able to get away with this once or twice. Unless they play Marth, then nothing you do on the edge works, ever (really).

A technique can't really be bad (unless it can only bring you from a good situation to a bad one no matter what), but it can have bad uses. Even the spinhog isn't a bad technique, it just has very few practical uses.
okay, okay. it can be used without getting hit. but the risk is just SO MUCH greater than the reward. yes, you get a bomb. there are many other ways to have bombs without using your second jump by the ledge...

it does look flashy though.

'sklering' isn't as cool as 'doodling' though ;)

Skler

Smash Master
With a bomb in your hand however you lower your options since any attack you do with the bomb in your hand will launch the bomb.
You can drop the bomb at the edge if need be, the bomb can only give you more options. Lets say you wanted to ledgehop a nair but have a bomb in your hand. Just jump, tap z (0 frames of lag on that) and then nair. Bombs are amazing.

The problem with pulling bombs on the stage is that against opponents who like to put pressure on you there will be no bomb pulling. If you are on the ledge and the opponent could WD into an attack if you went on the stage then you are probably safer just wavelanding off, double jumping and pulling a bomb (assuming if they WD into an attack it wouldn't reach over the edge, just to the end of the stage). Not that that will happen much, but if it does now you have something to do! There's nothing bad about having an extra option at the edge, no matter how situational.

I suck at drawing, so doodling isn't cool when I do it.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
You can drop the bomb at the edge if need be, the bomb can only give you more options. Lets say you wanted to ledgehop a nair but have a bomb in your hand. Just jump, tap z (0 frames of lag on that) and then nair. Bombs are amazing.

The problem with pulling bombs on the stage is that against opponents who like to put pressure on you there will be no bomb pulling. If you are on the ledge and the opponent could WD into an attack if you went on the stage then you are probably safer just wavelanding off, double jumping and pulling a bomb (assuming if they WD into an attack it wouldn't reach over the edge, just to the end of the stage). Not that that will happen much, but if it does now you have something to do! There's nothing bad about having an extra option at the edge, no matter how situational.

I suck at drawing, so doodling isn't cool when I do it.

=P

Perhaps. I still haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet. I think I can work it into my game... but even if I did, I can only see myself using this every so often.

I dunno. Like I said, it IS a good concept. I'll play around with it today. Also, i'm gonna work on my SUPER NEW AWESOME LINK TACTIC =o

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
This technique is just asking to be punished. I'm sorry for being redundant, but if you do this when it's safe, then it should be safe to just grab a bomb without having to be flashy by the edge (this honestly isn't very flashy imo). The more time you spend by the ledge, the more time your opponent has to get to you by the ledge, and for Link that isn't a safe place to be.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
This technique is just asking to be punished. I'm sorry for being redundant, but if you do this when it's safe, then it should be safe to just grab a bomb without having to be flashy by the edge (this honestly isn't very flashy imo). The more time you spend by the ledge, the more time your opponent has to get to you by the ledge, and for Link that isn't a safe place to be.
This is a lot like what I was trying to say, but I suck too much at the english language to do it.

Also, you guys were supposed to say something along the lines of "It was a chocolate shake." But Brink! is never on anymore =(

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but I just suck too much for this to work for me. =\ I perfer boomerang -> bomb. Of course, the Falco I play is very shinehappy, so...bombs don't exactly work out for me.

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
That's because they're slow, and Samus has projectiles...we're talking about like a rushcrazy uberfast crazy kneehappy crazy Captain Falcon who doesn't let you pick any bombs to piss him off with.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
That's because they're slow, and Samus has projectiles...we're talking about like a rushcrazy uberfast crazy kneehappy crazy Captain Falcon who doesn't let you pick any bombs to piss him off with.
Then I must have imagined all the people talking about how easily Marth could edgeguard this...

Top Bottom