• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Joke Character

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
If Jigglypuff was initially received as a joke character and then wasn't in future iterations, why are we assuming the same wouldn't have happened with Pichu?
First of Jiggly was never receive as a joke character but, was intended to be by Sakurai and was the reason he added Pichu as a clone late in the development of melee as a joke character and Pichu never would have been taken seriously because he does damage to himself.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
First of Jiggly was never receive as a joke character but, was intended to be by Sakurai and was the reason he added Pichu as a clone late in the development of melee as a joke character and Pichu never would have been taken seriously because he does damage to himself.
Also, Jigglypuff was already in 2 games, why cut him? They original 12 thing was already circling before Brawl came out. Meanwhile Pichu was a just a joke that nobody should expect to return.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
How do you know Jigglypuff was never received as a joke character? Now she's not treated as such (among the Smash community), but back before Melee and among the casuals is a totally different story.

Also, he didn't add Pichu to be a joke character, he added Pichu because he was looking for easy clones. Being a joke was secondary. And just because he damages himself doesn't inherently make him a joke, lots of characters now have moves that damage themselves. If Pichu hypothetically was tweaked to become a lethal joke, yet kept the self inflicted damage, people would definitely take it seriously.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Anyways everybody who do you think could be the next character to fit the role of the joke character?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
perhaps the e shop bag with a variety of moves from dillon's rolling western, pullbox, harmoknight and hana samurai

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Also, Jigglypuff was already in 2 games, why cut him? They original 12 thing was already circling before Brawl came out. Meanwhile Pichu was a just a clone being there for the sake of a bigger roster that nobody should expect to return.

DokemonStudios

Smash Rookie
I want Sandbag as a joke character! I'm just going to say this now! I imagine that the announcer would say Sandbag's name as even he is confused.

The winner is... Sandbag?

BBC7

Smash Ace
An idea I had was a trash-talking Toad that has character-specific win quotes for everyone and is at SSFII Turbo Akuma level in terms of cheapness. (Which is actually more cheap than Brawl Meta Knight)

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
I want Sandbag as a joke character! I'm just going to say this now! I imagine that the announcer would say Sandbag's name as even he is confused.

The winner is... Sandbag?
That is funny but still sandbag is the Joke Item currently. That is a funny idea though.

Anyone else have any other ideas for a joke character?

Last edited:

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
Pichu does damage to himself! granted that stays true to his character and origins from his respective franchise. Also G&W isn't a joke because he started the Historical character area that has always been filled since melee and has a group of 2 or 3 characters depending on how you look at it. Also who would you propose to be the next joke character?
Sorry, didn't mean to make you upset...
LOL *Duck Hunt, typing in a hurry....

The term "joke character" (at least in smash) has more to do with the who they are outside of smash than how they play in the game. Like wii fit trainer. Who would've expected a yoga instructor to be in smash bros? Certainly not me. I laughed when she was announced. The thought of her is hilarious.

Just my opinion.
That is what I define "joke character" as... I wouldn't consider Ganondorf in Brawl to be a "joke character" just because he is bad. Far from it.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, didn't mean to make you upset...

LOL *Duck Hunt, typing in a hurry....

That is what I define "joke character" as... I wouldn't consider Ganondorf in Brawl to be a "joke character" just because he is bad. Far from it.
You didn't make me mad. Anyways do you have an idea for a new joke character?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Source? I thought King Dedede, Bowser, and Mewtwo were the only other characters considered by Sakurai for Smash 64?
I'm not really sure. It may be a rumor, but the fact that those characters were cut over Jiggly anyway makes me hate it even more, because then Mewtwo wouldn't be DLC, and would have been in Brawl too. As a perk of being the original 12.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Source? I thought King Dedede, Bowser, and Mewtwo were the only other characters considered by Sakurai for Smash 64?
Also Wario and Meowth were considered for smash 64 as well.
I'm not really sure. It may be a rumor, but the fact that those characters were cut over Jiggly anyway makes me hate it even more, because then Mewtwo wouldn't be DLC, and would have been in Brawl too. As a perk of being the original 12.
Jigglypuff in Japan is bigger than Mewtwo and the game was planned to be a Japan Only game.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Yes i know that. But it doesn't mean I can't not like Jigglypuff for replacing another character, as well as being copied off a character already in the game.
It sounds like you're just blaming Jigglypuff for whatever reason. Is it because Jiggs isn't an edgy mutated cat monster? I can easily say that Bowser isn't in Smash 64 is because of Luigi the same way you're blaming Jigglypuff having priority over Mewtwo.

Savvy Stylist from Style Savvy. No exceptions.
Good taste, but Cooking Mama master race.

Last edited:

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Yes i know that. But it doesn't mean I can't not like Jigglypuff for replacing another character, as well as being copied off a character already in the game.
Jigglypuff is the balloon pokemon so obviously it will puff like kirby or maybe kirby puffs like Jigglypuff. Also The other six characters were cut due to time constraints but all got in eventually except Meowth. Also no one got replaced Jiggly was going to be in from the start anyways. now lets stop talking about the old and focus on the next joke character ok.

D

Deleted member

Also Wario and Meowth were considered for smash 64 as well.
There is no legitimate source for this info.
The only three characters with a legitimate source backing them up are Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo. Said source is the Japanese Smash 64 website itself, specifically in Sakurai's comments about the results of the character poll he made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Next joke character should be....

Ridley :^)

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
There is no legitimate source for this info.
The only three characters with a legitimate source backing them up are Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo. Said source is the Japanese Smash 64 website itself, specifically in Sakurai's comments about the results of the character poll he made.
Wario was in one of those Nintendo magazines in the 90s and said they were working on Wario and never heard anything else but, he was cut and Meowth was backed by a reliable source forget what but this thread is about the next Joke character so lets stay on topic.

D

Deleted member

Wario was in one of those Nintendo magazines in the 90s and said they were working on Wario and never heard anything else but, he was cut and Meowth was backed by a reliable source forget what but this thread is about the next Joke character so lets stay on topic.
If Wario was planned on, Sakurai would have literally said so when he discussed the other three, seeing as Wario was also within the Top 10 alongside them.
And no, there is no legitimate source for Meowth. The idea is based around word of mouth as opposed to a direct source of information.

Now, for the topic, the next joke character/the next Pichu would have to be someone that's deliberately designed to be weak.
Not many candidates other than Glass Joe and Slippy Toad, who are well-known for being poor fighters, come to mind.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
If Wario was planned on, Sakurai would have literally said so when he discussed the other three, seeing as Wario was also within the Top 10 alongside them.
And no, there is no legitimate source for Meowth. The idea is based around word of mouth as opposed to a direct source of information.

Now, for the topic, th
Funky or Lanky Kong would be the perfect joke character.
Funky Kong could work as well since he is the fun and cool Kong but I actually happen to like Lankey Kong the most once you get past the first three and feel Lankey would make a great addition as a fighter.
e next joke character/the next Pichu would have to be someone that's deliberately designed to be weak.
Not many candidates other than Glass Joe and Slippy Toad, who are well-known for being poor fighters, come to mind.
glass joe could work

D

Deleted member

Being "fun and cool" =/= joke character.

Unless Funky was designed to be deliberately weak compared to the rest of the cast (which wouldn't make sense for Funky), he wouldn't be a joke character.
He'd be a Fighting Clown, which Smash has many examples of.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'd just like to correct the assumptions that Pichu was a "joke" character in Melee. He technically wasn't. Pichu was added with the other clones as a way to represent the new (at the time) generation of Pokemon. Jigglypuff, Game & Watch, R.O.B, and Wii Fit Trainer are joke characters though, as people have already stated in this thread.

Also want to point out that being a "joke" character doesn't mean the character is terrible. They're "jokes" because of how random, unexpected, and just plain out-of-left-field they are.

Also G&W isn't a joke because he started the Historical character area
Ice Climbers did that, actually.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd just like to correct the assumptions that Pichu was a "joke" character in Melee. He technically wasn't. Pichu was added with the other clones as a way to represent the new (at the time) generation of Pokemon. Jigglypuff, Game & Watch, R.O.B, and Wii Fit Trainer are joke characters though, as people have already stated in this thread.

Also want to point out that being a "joke" character doesn't mean the character is terrible. They're "jokes" because of how random, unexpected, and just plain out-of-left-field they are.
Did you not read the page about Fighting Clowns that I posted above?
Those characters except Pichu and Jigglypuff pre-Melee are Fighting Clowns.
A Joke Character is something completely different. Those are characters deliberately designed to be bad. Like Pichu and pre-Melee Jigglypuff.
Post-Melee Jigglypuff is a Fighting Clown and a Lethal Joke Character.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Did you not read the page about Fighting Clowns that I posted above?
Those characters except Pichu and Jigglypuff pre-Melee are Fighting Clowns.
A Joke Character is something completely different. Those are characters deliberately designed to be bad. Like Pichu and pre-Melee Jigglypuff.
Post-Melee Jigglypuff is a Fighting Clown and a Lethal Joke Character.
I'm not going by TVTropes' definitions of things.

Jigglypuff, Game & Watch, R.O.B, and Wii Fit Trainer are joke characters because nobody expected them and nobody asked for them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jigglypuff, Game & Watch, R.O.B, and Wii Fit Trainer are joke characters because nobody expected them and nobody asked for them.
So. you denounce the common usage of the term "joke character" and use your own arbitrary definition, while claiming that your definition is the "correct" one? Alrighty, then...

Nobody expected Snake or asked for him (no, Kojima doesn't count here). Guess he's a joke.
Hardly anyone knew Roy even existed prior to Melee. He's a joke too.
No one would have guessed Captain Falcon or Ness would be in Smash 64. The jokes keep on coming.
A second Mario? As a doctor? In Melee? Someone call Batman, the Joker's on the loose!
Zero Suit Samus? Pokémon Trainer? Lucas? Man, what a bunch'a jokers!

D

Deleted member

2:55

Honestly would be a great joke character. Could even possibly be a lethal joke character and I'd be all for it.
To really seal the deal, he needs to shout things like "Get this guy off me!" as he fights. :laugh:

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
You didn't make me mad. Anyways do you have an idea for a new joke character?
Ok, good :) I think Waddle Dee. Many people want him even though his role in the kirby series is so small. Seeing him in Sm4sh just doesn't seem right... :p

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I know this has already been thrown around, but I want Reggie to be a joke character. His victory line could be "Looks like your body wasn't ready..." XD XD

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Important characters that helped Nintendo make money are joke characters? Nobody expected Ice Climbers back in Melee or asked for them. I guess they're joke characters now, they even got cut.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Some people really don't understand what I mean by "joke" characters, it seems. I wasn't even the only person in this thread to call the same exact 4 characters "joke" characters, and yet I seem to be the only one being treated like an idiot for stating the truth. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom