• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Joke Character

D

Deleted member

Your "criteria" for a joke character is that the character had little to no requests and was not expected.
Which describes quite a few characters.

Literally, the best example of a character that had no requests nor was expected by any sane individual is Snake.
When your self-imposed criteria for a joke describes this:

You know you ****ed up. Or maybe not, judging by your last post.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Your "criteria" for a joke character is that the character had little to no requests and was not expected.

Literally, the best example of a character that had no requests nor was expected by any sane individual is Snake.

well it was a cruel joke

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Some people really don't understand what I mean by "joke" characters, it seems. I wasn't even the only person in this thread to call the same exact 4 characters "joke" characters, and yet I seem to be the only one being treated like an idiot for stating the truth. lol
Because we already established and clarified it

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I have a few ideas apart from having Slippy as a Fox/Falco clone that is purposely weakened;

Some may not see these as prime joke character material mind you. I remember Diskun's support last year.

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
I have a few ideas apart from having Slippy as a Fox/Falco clone that is purposely weakened;

Some may not see these as prime joke character material mind you. I remember Diskun's support last year.
Pink Gold Peach.... *dies* I never understood her in MK8 and if she was in sm4sh.... :p

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
I feel like Delibird and Slippy are on the top of my list.

Delibird - Just seems like he could be interesting as a joke character.
Slippy - I honestly want Slippy. He did make the Arwing and Land Master after all.

D

Deleted member

Magikarp should be a Lethal Joke Character, using the aptly named Magikarp Power trope.

Think about it; weak attacks (except for maybe the occasional OHKO Splash as a joke), and easy to send flying, pretty much being Air Mac on both the air and the ground mixed in with Pichu's lightweight.
However, the longer it battles, the more experience it gets. Managing to score KOs also gives it a boost. Once it gets enough....it evolves.
As Gyarados, it is big (Ridley big), has 64 Metal Mario-esque defense, and strength that would make Ganondorf cower. Downside is, when KO'd, it's back to square one with Magikarp again.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
The next joke character should be Baby Mario.

If he can drive a kart he can dodge a punch.
His taunt will be his crying.
It will be the best taunt yet as some people will really get riled up from hearing it.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice

Diskun definitely not he would have a really good and unique move set.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
OK If figured out who the next joke character should be. It should be Chibi Robo because in his moveset he would be like Pichu having to take damage because of what he is like in his own game. What do you guys think? I know Chibi Robo fans will be mad at me for this one and just so you know I am all for his inclusion in the game as a joke character or not. I just think he would fit the role of joke character very well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
OK If figured out who the next joke character should be. It should be Chibi Robo because in his moveset he would be like Pichu having to take damage because of what he is like in his own game. What do you guys think? I know Chibi Robo fans will be mad at me for this one and just so you know I am all for his inclusion in the game as a joke character or not. I just think he would fit the role of joke character very well.
he would not be joke character hed be an epic inclusion

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
well you clearly never finished or played certain ones cause he DOSE have one in both the original and photo finder
OK but for the most part he takes damage because of the inspiration from his game maybe for his final smash he would get that and act like Lucario's sort of.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I like the idea of having a lethal joke character more than a joke character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Eww no to all of them except for Captain N (he is the next ideal retro newcomer after G&W, ROB, and DHD).

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Eww no to all of them except for Captain N (he is the next ideal retro newcomer after G&W, ROB, and DHD).
No the next most likely retro newcomer is Sukapon and if he isn't DLC in smash 6takamaruubt be the starting retro character and Sukapon will be the secret (unlockable) retro character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How is Sukapon likely? Didn't Sakurai tell fans not to expect Sukapon in future Smash games?

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Ok ok... I was joking... I actually even made a movset for Sukapon. Hes pretty cool.

Although I wouldn't go so far to say that he has a "decent-sized" fanbase.

If I Had to pick an actual joke character, I'd pick something from the eshop.

Eshop Bag (Eshop)
Spotto the Bombirdier (Spotto!)
Aura Aura (Aura Aura Climber)
Flipnote Frog (Flipnote)
Grace Throwing (Tokyo Crash Mobs)
Eddy (Fluidity)
Rusty (Rusty's Real Deal Baseball)

Or, a really weird pokemon, like Garbador, Mr. Mime, Jynx, etc

Last edited:

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
Ok ok... I was joking... I actually even made a movset for Sukapon. Hes pretty cool.

Although I wouldn't go so far to say that he has a "decent-sized" fanbase.

If I Had to pick an actual joke character, I'd pick something from the eshop.

Eshop Bag (Eshop)
Spotto the Bombirdier (Spotto!)
Aura Aura (Aura Aura Climber)
Flipnote Frog (Flipnote)
Grace Throwing (Tokyo Crash Mobs)
Eddy (Fluidity)
Rusty (Rusty's Real Deal Baseball)

Or, a really weird pokemon, like Garbador, Mr. Mime, Jynx, etc
I guess it should be a really obscure character. the eshop could be the place to look. I can't comment on those characters because I don't know much about them.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
First of Melee's Joke character is Pichu. Second G&W, R.O.B, and DHD represent historical eras and the history of Nintendo so they are no jokes.
You can't say someone's opinion is wrong. Joke characters aren't entirely under an EXACT definition. There's various aspects to what constitutes a joke character, so some people can rightfully have an opinion that isn't the same as the next person's about joke characters.

I believed that Game & Watch was also a joke character. Rightfully there's a good point to be made because he didn't even EXIST before Melee and was created out of the many things involving the Game & Watch games. That's not really a serious character when you really think about it. Yes Pichu was a joke character without a doubt, but he wasn't THE joke character. There's a decent handful of those.

In 4, I firmly believe Wii Fit Trainer as a joke character as well as Duck Hunt being a "Lethal Joke Character" of sorts. Due to his nature it's easy to see Bowser Jr. as a bit of a joke character but his tenure in the Mario series can somewhat detract from that point.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
You can't say someone's opinion is wrong. Joke characters aren't entirely under an EXACT definition. There's various aspects to what constitutes a joke character, so some people can rightfully have an opinion that isn't the same as the next person's about joke characters.

I believed that Game & Watch was also a joke character. Rightfully there's a good point to be made because he didn't even EXIST before Melee and was created out of the many things involving the Game & Watch games. That's not really a serious character when you really think about it. Yes Pichu was a joke character without a doubt, but he wasn't THE joke character. There's a decent handful of those.

In 4, I firmly believe Wii Fit Trainer as a joke character as well as Duck Hunt being a "Lethal Joke Character" of sorts. Due to his nature it's easy to see Bowser Jr. as a bit of a joke character but his tenure in the Mario series can somewhat detract from that point.
That post was made when I had recently created the thread and was establishing what a joke character was and we have established that those characters weren't joke characters and so you bring that back was unnecessary.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I think the confusion in this category of joke characters, where even the original poster seems to confuse his ideas about what qualifies a character within this category, is that we are not dealing with originally conceived characters- we are dealing with respectable Intellectual Properties already known to the masses.

Regardless of the level of fame each individual character may have, Smash Bros is for Nintendo All Stars. I think the idea of characters being seen as jokes a la Jigglypuff or Wii Fit Trainer has nothing to do with fan demand, and everything to do with perceived level of fame. If it is felt the character did not earn the title in the roster, it feels to be a joke

Exempting in this sense, clones, the ones added for fluff in short time, which are Roy, Pichu, Dark Pit, Dr Mario-- who are, in fact, all jokes.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
I think the confusion in this category of joke characters, where even the original poster seems to confuse his ideas about what qualifies a character within this category, is that we are not dealing with originally conceived characters- we are dealing with respectable Intellectual Properties already known to the masses.

Regardless of the level of fame each individual character may have, Smash Bros is for Nintendo All Stars. I think the idea of characters being seen as jokes a la Jigglypuff or Wii Fit Trainer has nothing to do with fan demand, and everything to do with perceived level of fame. If it is felt the character did not earn the title in the roster, it feels to be a joke

Exempting in this sense, clones, the ones added for fluff in short time, which are Roy, Pichu, Dark Pit, Dr Mario-- who are, in fact, all jokes.
Not exactly Sakurai made Jigglypuff to be a joke character hence why rest make your player explode off the screen but this is useful and was take seriously so therefore Jigglypuff has become a lethal joke character and Pichu was added to fill the role of a joke character and then he was cut and Sakurai didn't add a true joke character. Captain Falcon was a joke character with the sound effects until Isei made him anything but, a joke.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not exactly Sakurai made Jigglypuff to be a joke character hence why rest make your player explode off the screen but this is useful and was take seriously so therefore Jigglypuff has become a lethal joke character and Pichu was added to fill the role of a joke character and then he was cut and Sakurai didn't add a true joke character. Captain Falcon was a joke character with the sound effects until Isei made him anything but, a joke.
How does having a lethal attack make a character an unbalanced, weak fighter? She never was a 'joke.'
In the original game, Luigi and Ness also had very potent screech attacks.
You keep paraphrasing this claim of what Sakurai intended of Jigglypuff, why don't you just link us to a source, because it doesn't seem to fit, and quite frankly, I'm still not sure what your personal definition of a joke character is.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Dunk Hunt
COME ON AND SLAM
AND WELCOME TO THE JAM

As far as joke characters go - I'd definitely love to see Trubbish or Garbodor. If they don't put him in a mech, Porky would be perfect. Slippy, Glass Joe, eShop, and Diskun are also possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom