• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New DLC Stage Approaches: Super Mario Maker!

The newly released game, Super Mario Maker, will be coming to Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U as a DLC stage! This new DLC stage was revealed spontaneously on Nintendo's YouTube channel at 6:00 PM PDT.

The concept and design will take inspiration directly from Super Mario Maker. At the beginning of each match, the "hand" will appear and begin to create a stage built with the elements from Super Mario Maker on one of the game's four unique game styles. If players happen to break any blocks, the hand will fix them. The stage layout changes every time you play, so no two games are the same!

The Super Mario Maker stage will be coming to both Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The stage will be released on September 30th, 2015. It will cost $2.49 to purchase it individually for the either the 3DS or Wii U, or $3.49 to purchase it on both systems.

To see the stage in action, check out the official trailer!

Pokemon64ism is very excited for the Super Mario Maker stage. You can follow him on Twitter @Pokemon64ism.

Last edited:

Comments

Things will get hilarious if the game generates a stage with a lot of separated platforms when you play as :4littlemac:

It's quite surprising to see a stage for Super Mario Maker already coming this soon. I wish we could've gotten the same for Splatoon, but we're stuck with Mii Costumes for now.

Seriously though, this stage is hype. The game itself is fantastic and to already see immediate representation in Smash Bros. is awesome. I was also really relieved when they announced this stage to also be on the 3DS, since I'm going to college in a couple of days and I won't be taking my WiiU with me to my dorm. I'm also excited to see what music may be put in there - I can already expect some hype mashup music of all 4 game's main themes.

Poor greninja. all of these new stages always come with new nerfs. 1 like = 1 canister of kosher salt. 7.8/8 Too sad for me - IGN ;(/!) nooo - wow!)

Last edited:
HOW I BECAME RICH BY JOINING ILLUMINATI
JOIN THE ILLUMINATI FROM ANYWHERE, TODAY BE RICH, FAMOUS, AND POSSES POWER.FOR IMMEDIATE MEMBERSHIP REGISTRATION,EMAIL-Benedictsolutioncentre@yahoo.com
BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW MEMBERS WHO JOIN ILLUMINATI.
A Cash Reward of USD $300,000 USD
A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at USD $120,000 USD
A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice
One Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination.
One year Golf Membership package
A V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the World
A total Lifestyle change
Access to Bohemian Grove
Monthly payment of $1,000,000 USD into your bank account every month as a member
One Month booked Appointment with Top 5 world Leaders and Top 5 Celebrities in the World.
If you are interested email the agent now –benedictsolutioncentre@yahoo.com
@Illuminati Can you verify this?
Wow, this is awesome in so many ways.
Awesome in 4 ways, to be exact.

Alright, should this be tournament legal? Well, since this is a stage that changes every single time you play it, there are chances we might get a permanent walk off, but there are also times where we'll get one hell of a balanced stage too.

I believe that it should be legal just for the sheer fact that the stage can indeed be balanced! If it's a walk-off, and you're playing a tournament, just restart the match itself and get a non-walk off version of the stage, problem solved.

People might complain if there are caves of life, but from what I've seen, there are possibly little to no caves of life, and if there are, they aren't permanent and are easily breakable if a character crashes into them. So the cave of life excuse doesn't exactly work here either.

There seem to be little to no hazards from what I've seen in the trailer, which is a good thing, because hazards is another thing to scratch off from being a factor in either making it a counterpick or ban. And if there are hazards, they'll probably be more predictable than Halberd's hazards.

Even if the stage constantly changes, it's not a bad thing. This is actually an amazing concept because this can definitely make the Smash Bros. 4 Metagame better, since the stage will keep changing up every time you play it, thus meaning there can be no one single strategy for the stage, the possibilities of the stage are infinite and lastly, the stage as a whole would give characters a lot of potential, and this means all.

So should this be banned or counterpick?
Absolutely NOT. This stage should be a fully tournament legal stage and people should play on it just for its amazing addition to the metagame and giving the chance to various characters. It's a good stage casually AND competitively.

Alright, should this be tournament legal? Well, since this is a stage that changes every single time you play it, there are chances we might get a permanent walk off, but there are also times where we'll get one hell of a balanced stage too.

I believe that it should be legal just for the sheer fact that the stage can indeed be balanced! If it's a walk-off, and you're playing a tournament, just restart the match itself and get a non-walk off version of the stage, problem solved.

People might complain if there are caves of life, but from what I've seen, there are possibly little to no caves of life, and if there are, they aren't permanent and are easily breakable if a character crashes into them. So the cave of life excuse doesn't exactly work here either.

There seem to be little to no hazards from what I've seen in the trailer, which is a good thing, because hazards is another thing to scratch off from being a factor in either making it a counterpick or ban. And if there are hazards, they'll probably be more predictable than Halberd's hazards.

Even if the stage constantly changes, it's not a bad thing. This is actually an amazing concept because this can definitely make the Smash Bros. 4 Metagame better, since the stage will keep changing up every time you play it, thus meaning there can be no one single strategy for the stage, the possibilities of the stage are infinite and lastly, the stage as a whole would give characters a lot of potential, and this means all.

So should this be banned or counterpick?
Absolutely NOT. This stage should be a fully tournament legal stage and people should play on it just for its amazing addition to the metagame and giving the chance to various characters. It's a good stage casually AND competitively.
Ban it. This stage, as you said, has a RANDOM chance to be legal or banned. I am not playing and then quitting out for a certain layout every time I play. As for hazards, I think a giant hand covering part of the stage is distracting. It moves so fast that your eyes are forced to dart to it. So yeah, just ban it. Just like every other dlc stage, if it hasn't been tourney legal before or isn't a legal layout, ban it.
The fact that they were able to think of something as creative like this's just REALLY mind blowing. :colorful:
This isn't mind blowing or creative. Mario Maker made money. Smash made money. Put the two together and you get ALL the money.

Last edited:
I'd personally like to see some more Tournament Level/Playable stages added, or at least give us a Poke Floats remake or port

WHY WON'T THEY MAKE THE DLC FREE LIKE SPLATOON!? They most know I am a sucker for buying new things that come to Smash...:glare:

Wait what?

Of all the things to do for DLC stages, Nintendo's doing Super Mario Maker? I mean, it looks cool and all but it still came right out of left field.

I'll just sit here patiently waiting for Pirate Ship then.
And Roy was in melee BEFORE his game even came out, it's called marketing! not everyone keeps up with nintendo news so this will put Mario Maker on the eyes of a lot of people who own smash but weren't aware of it. These kind of moves have always been in games and at the very least it looks like a quality fun stage!

Very glad to see new levels instead of ports or character specific levels. Though I honk we have an over-saturation of Mario stages. We need more LoZ, Metroid, Pokemanz, Star Fox, and Yoshi stages. Or maybe even a Splatoon stage.

Regardless, this is very cool. Too bad my Wii U doesn't read my disc anymore and I sold my 3DS/Smash 3DS...
why doesnt your Wii u read disks?

And why should it matter if the game is "too young"? Where there is potential the opportunity to use it should be taken. It is a stage different from what we've been seen before with a unique feature and it looks pretty fun so it's good to have the opportunity to obtain it now rather than waiting 6-7 years for the next Smash game where it might or might not be incorporated.

You misunderstand. I'm not hating on the stage, and you're right, it looks really fun. However, that being said, there are problems with it.
  • While it's true not all stages need to be "tourney" legal, all of the DLC stages, with the exception of miiverse (which no one plays on in tourney mind you), are not legal. It would be nice to see a dlc stage we could use in tourneys, so we could play on/watch something other than smashville all the time. (Yes there are other stages, but let's be honest, you see smashville the most).
  • Yes, being too young is an issue. There are other games that deserve a stage. Just because the stage is different than we have seen, doesn't mean it should, or have to be in smash. Mario maker honestly should just be it's own thing.

I'm sure there are a lot of games out there that deserve a stage but it's not healthy to take it on the Mario Maker stage considering that this things get planned along. I don't think this stage prevents others from occurring and besides, the Mario franchise is a time-tested, proven franchise, and Mario maker is essentially a game that contains the assets of old and new 2D Mario games.
I can probably understand the issue with not being tourney legal, although I personally don't adhere to tournament rulesets when playing against friends even though we are very competitive.

Hopefully there'll be some sort of stage selection code to choose the layout, like the Boxing Ring's alternate forms or Orbital Gate's codecs.

Top Bottom