• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New DLC Stage Approaches: Super Mario Maker!

The newly released game, Super Mario Maker, will be coming to Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U as a DLC stage! This new DLC stage was revealed spontaneously on Nintendo's YouTube channel at 6:00 PM PDT.

The concept and design will take inspiration directly from Super Mario Maker. At the beginning of each match, the "hand" will appear and begin to create a stage built with the elements from Super Mario Maker on one of the game's four unique game styles. If players happen to break any blocks, the hand will fix them. The stage layout changes every time you play, so no two games are the same!

The Super Mario Maker stage will be coming to both Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The stage will be released on September 30th, 2015. It will cost $2.49 to purchase it individually for the either the 3DS or Wii U, or $3.49 to purchase it on both systems.

To see the stage in action, check out the official trailer!

Pokemon64ism is very excited for the Super Mario Maker stage. You can follow him on Twitter @Pokemon64ism.

Last edited:

Comments

This is actually pretty cool. Though things like slopes in the levels leaves me wondering... update coming for Mario Maker? Here's hoping.

Everyone is wondering whether we are getting a new character, another stage etc along with this. Whether we do or not, I think it's safe to assume a balance patch is coming too. If so, I want to see Samus/Mewtwo Buffs most. I'd also like a more reliable combo throw for Marth, but I just enjoy finding out what has changed in all the balance patches.

I hope this is an 8-player stage, because I want to play this in 8-player smash customs on and items on high!!

Just trying to balance out all of the "I'm competitive and this level will be banned so I don't care" comments. But seriously, this level looks amazing and I'm stoked!

They know we like Mario Maker
They know we like Smash Bros.
They know we'll gladly throw money at them for a combination of both.

Builder Mario Confirmed Guys Get Hype

I am excited for this. I want character DLC costumes (for actual chars, not Mii Fighters) now. 8-Bit Mario (recolor) and Builder Mario for costume DLC?

Now i want dlc stages for all major and majorish games coming up.

Like XCX Starfox or Zelda... and I wonder if on the 30th there will be a DLC CHARACTER TOO!

Looks like a fun "for fun" stage, but besides that, it's stupid. Love mario maker, but it's wayyyy to young of a game to already be included into smash. Just imo.
yeah, that "no character/ stage from recent franchise" rule died with Shulk dood, anything can get in now.

And even if not, I would think the game made for the 30th anniversary of Super freaking Mario Bros. would be the exception.

Am I one of the few people who doesn`t want to buy this stage (even though it's new), because I can already tell this stage is BANNED? And I don't buy banned tournament legal stages no matter what, classic stage or new stage! I love this stage to be really honest, but what stops me from buying this stage is the fact that it's not legal from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Am I one of the few people who doesn`t want to buy this stage (even though it's new), because I can already tell this stage is BANNED? And I don't buy banned tournament legal stages no matter what, classic stage or new stage! I love this stage to be really honest, but what stops me from buying this stage is the fact that it's not legal from what I can tell.
Self-imposed "no fun" embargo?

Last edited:
I might be a super competitive player and all that but this looks insanely fun and so cool! I can't wait to play this with my buddies omg

only two dollars too, what a great deal! Paying for characters AND stages after buying a game for like 60-70$. Awesome...

It would make for some hype grand finals on this stage
Falcon dittos in the grand final of the biggest tourney of the year.
The stage is set.
M2K and ZeRo are both sweaty and under incredible pressure.
M2K, "Hey, gentleman to Mario Builder?"
A drop of sweat rolls down ZeRo's forehead. "S-sure..."
M2K, with surgical precision, manuevers the menu to the DLC stages.
D1 and Prog have just returned to the commentary table and are shocked to silence.
ZeRo, shaking under the pressure, lets out a huge sigh as the loading screen appears.
M2K's return to Smash 4 saw him blaze through winners bracket without losing a single game.
ZeRo was beaten down to losers bracket by none other than his current enemy, Mew2King.
Just as the loading screen fades away, the TV shuts off with a loud bang.
ZeRo stands up to turn the TV back on and M2K adjusts his glasses.
The TV turns on with a loud whine.
One singular block stands solitary in the center of the generated stage. The two Falcons have become cramped to the point of sharing pixels.
M2K moves his stick to the left only slightly in an attempt to initiate a dashdance.
The convention center hosting Apex explodes, leaving only one survivor.
D1, covered in blood.
"Destruction."

Last edited:
This isn't mind blowing or creative. Mario Maker made money. Smash made money. Put the two together and you get ALL the money.
Well, it is. I mean, who else can think of something like THAT!? I'm aware it's Super Mario Maker and blah, blah, blah, blah, but still. This isn't like their everyday stages they make. Like, why fight on one arena, when you can fight on more than 1 as the arena creates itself. Doing and undoing the work.

Last edited:
Well, it is. I mean, who else can think of something like THAT!? I'm aware it's Super Mario Maker and blah, blah, blah, blah, but still. This isn't like their everyday stages they make. Like, why fight on one arena, when you can fight on more than 1 as the arena creates itself. Doing and undoing the work.
Why play on an uber-distracting dynamic randomly generated potentially walk-off stage in tournament eh?

I honestly can't think of a reason

Ban it. This stage, as you said, has a RANDOM chance to be legal or banned. I am not playing and then quitting out for a certain layout every time I play. As for hazards, I think a giant hand covering part of the stage is distracting. It moves so fast that your eyes are forced to dart to it. So yeah, just ban it. Just like every other dlc stage, if it hasn't been tourney legal before or isn't a legal layout, ban it.

This isn't mind blowing or creative. Mario Maker made money. Smash made money. Put the two together and you get ALL the money.
Well, there's always this point:
Have you seen how in some tournament sets that people will fake out a game and restart an official match? Well, we can do that if the Mario Maker stage is in its walk off form.

Not only that, but the hand isn't that distracting if you focus on your opponent. The only reason someone would even look at the hand is their own fault, curiosity and stupidity, all in one form.

And on your last sentence, there is a lot of idiocy in that, for Suzaku Castle certainly has the layout for a balanced stage, and so does Peach's Castle 64, but the latter has been banned, although in this iteration of Smash, it certainly has all rights to be legal. Mario Maker as a stage has a lot of potential as a legal stage, no matter how you think of it.

TL;DR, fake out fights if it is a walk off, hand isn't distracting, it's your fault for being distracted, it can have balanced layout, it should be legal.

Well, there's always this point:
Have you seen how in some tournament sets that people will fake out a game and restart an official match? Well, we can do that if the Mario Maker stage is in its walk off form.

Not only that, but the hand isn't that distracting if you focus on your opponent. The only reason someone would even look at the hand is their own fault, curiosity and stupidity, all in one form.

And on your last sentence, there is a lot of idiocy in that, for Suzaku Castle certainly has the layout for a balanced stage, and so does Peach's Castle 64, but the latter has been banned, although in this iteration of Smash, it certainly has all rights to be legal. Mario Maker as a stage has a lot of potential as a legal stage, no matter how you think of it.

TL;DR, fake out fights if it is a walk off, hand isn't distracting, it's your fault for being distracted, it can have balanced layout, it should be legal.
It "can" have a balanced layout, but it can also have a total bull**** layout that randomly gives one player an advantage he didn't earn. Mute City can have a balanced layout at certain points, Brinstar is balanced when the Acid isn't raised, Rainbow Cruse is balanced on the ship. Does that mean those stages should be legal? Hell no. Oh also, random lava sounds like total fun for a competitive match. And for what it's worth judging by the trailer the majority of the stages forms have no competitive worth, so it would actually be unlikely to get a good layout. And the problem with Peach's Castle 64 is the bumper, sloped platforms, and absurdly low ceiling, it has nothing to do with main platform layout.

Just because a stage has the potential to have a balanced layout does not mean it will be balanced. Nor should it be legal. And that's not getting into how stupid it would be having a competitive stage that's different every time. Imagine counter picking to Super Mario Maker hoping for a favorable layout only to get one bad for your character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom