• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Multilingual America -- A Positive or Negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I live in Mesa, Arizona, right smack dab where two cultures collide: America and Mexico. As easily as I can go into a Circle K, I can go into a little shop in a strip mall with a title I can't pronounce and a cashier that doesn't speak my language. For every English speaking patron that comes into the Starbucks where I work, there's a Spanish speaking one that only orders the one thing on the menu that they can pronounce.

I, personally, think this is fantastic. I believe that I've been extremely privileged to grow up in a place where there is such a cultural fusion, and I've learned a whole lot about other cultures from interacting with Mexican immigrants (some of which I've become life-long friends with).

The topic of the debate, in my mind, centers on the languages that collide under circumstances like this. It seems like the majority of signs that exist where I live are in both English and Spanish, and there are as many Spanish-speaking local channels as there are English-speaking ones. If the official language of the United States is English, should we tolerate multilingual signage and business conduct?

In the US Southwest, it's English and Spanish, and I've heard that near Quebec and around Louisiana there's a great deal of English and French collision. Is this helpful to immigrants and easing their transition into the country or does it undermine traditional American values and the culture as a whole?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Americans are encouraged to take a second language, like Spanish, to interact with the majority of this country. People look to hire bilingual people because it would be easier to interact with a client who only knows Spanish.

Being able to speak two languages can help someone become successful, and be thought of as an intellectual.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Americans are encouraged to take a second language, like Spanish, to interact with the majority of this country. People look to hire bilingual people because it would be easier to interact with a client who only knows Spanish.

Being able to speak two languages can help someone become successful, and be thought of as an intellectual.
Yes, but does that person who only speaks Spanish hurt this country by making other people take up a second language? We are an officially English speaking country, after all....

Amide

Smash Lord
I love cultural fusion, but I don't think people should feel forced to learn a second language. Why do people that speak English have to learn Spanish, instead of people that speak Spanish learn English? I mean, it's the USA. If I was to move to Mexico, I would learn Spanish.

But people should accept other languages. People are so easily offended when people speak Spanish. For example, in a graduation somewhere, some student said a sentence in a language different than English, and people went crazy. That is ridiculous.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
We not not officially an English speaking country, we have no national language

link6616

Smash Cadet
I can't speak about America as I don't live there myself.
However I think that multilingual signs and practice is a good idea to an extent. The problem though is for migrants wanting to be Americans (or whatever society they wish to be a part of).
They will be surrounded by their own language and people that speak it, making the initial change easier. However they will face greater problems with the language barrier in the end because the need to speak English will be diminished and most people would probably not bother if they could live without it.

I faced a similar problem when I lived in Japan and went to a school the specialized in English teaching. Meaning most teachers and students knew enough English to understand the general gist of what would be said to them in English. As such it was really hard to learn Japanese well, because most of the time I could speak English with no repercussions. I learned a lot of course, but I know I really could and should have learned more and while my will power is to blame too, if my school had a terrible English program then I may have learned quicker out of need.

If you have people speaking either A or B and a lot both, then it reduced the need to learn the other. You need incentive to learn then. However if you have most people speaking A, but a large amount of non A speaking immigrants then you NEED A lessons, as there is only so much you can pick up on.

Language also has strong ties with culture (slang does too), so not learning the language of a culture will (probably) hinder you a bit in terms of integrating with that culture

I hope I'm making sense

derek.haines

Smash Ace
He makes a good point. I looked it up, and sure enough, nothing's official. We accept English as the de facto national language, but nothing says you absolutely have to speak English. We could start a movement encouraging everyone to speak Esperanto and it could very well become the de facto national language. It's unlikely, but it could happen...

I can't speak about America as I don't live there myself.
However I think that multilingual signs and practice is a good idea to an extent. The problem though is for migrants wanting to be Americans (or whatever society they wish to be a part of).
They will be surrounded by their own language and people that speak it, making the initial change easier. However they will face greater problems with the language barrier in the end because the need to speak English will be diminished and most people would probably not bother if they could live without it.

I faced a similar problem when I lived in Japan and went to a school the specialized in English teaching. Meaning most teachers and students knew enough English to understand the general gist of what would be said to them in English. As such it was really hard to learn Japanese well, because most of the time I could speak English with no repercussions. I learned a lot of course, but I know I really could and should have learned more and while my will power is to blame too, if my school had a terrible English program then I may have learned quicker out of need.

If you have people speaking either A or B and a lot both, then it reduced the need to learn the other. You need incentive to learn then. However if you have most people speaking A, but a large amount of non A speaking immigrants then you NEED A lessons, as there is only so much you can pick up on.

Language also has strong ties with culture (slang does too), so not learning the language of a culture will (probably) hinder you a bit in terms of integrating with that culture

I hope I'm making sense

You're right. The best way to learn a language is to be put into a situation of complete immersion in it. The statistic goes that in a situation of complete immersion in another language, a person can speak it in just three months.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I'm from Quebec and my view on this is pretty simple: if you come to my province, at least TRY to speak french. I don't have any problem dealing with english speakers as long as they show respect to my mother tongue and its history, but this is often not the case since I'm stuck in an english country.

That's mainly why Quebec is trying to separate itself from the rest of Canada: we don't share the same tongue, history, or cultural background.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the efficiency of a standardized language. If we go multilingual, the Spanish speaking residents will have no motivation to learn English. That can be a problem. They could get fooled by professional jargon when in trouble or in other situations.

I also find culture rather restrictive and unnecessary. That's off-topic, but if you would like me to explain, I will.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
I've always been a proponent of keeping our country free of a national language. The only reason English is the predominant language is because of historical circumstances. German very well could have taken its place back in the 1700's. Ideologically, it always seemed to me that imposing a national language would work against the United States' stances of freedom and tolerance. (Whether or not those are the actual policies or not is another matter)

But then again, I grew up in a part of the country with a very low percentage of non-English speakers. New England just doesn't see too many latino immigrants. Sure, there are some pockets of French in along the Canadian border, and a sizable population of Somali speakers in southern Maine, but nothing that threatens English's primacy.

On the other hand, I've been in Spanish classes for the past 12 years. I don't want to be one those dreaded "monolingual americans" that you hear so much about. Having another language like Spanish being used regularly within the borders of the United States does nothing but enrich the culture. However, it also has the ability to segregate the population into different groups based on language. It's very hard for someone who only speaks English to converse with someone who only speaks Spanish. So I can see where the people in favor of a national language are coming from. It could potentially unite the nation into a stronger, national culture.

But is that a good thing? Diversity is the spice of life, after all. So why not maintain lingual diversity too?

And as far as being able to pick up a language from three months immersion, I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in that statistic. I've been living in a completely Spanish speaking country for almost 5 months now, y todavía tengo hartos problemas con castellano, ¿cachái? I mean sure, I can understand people, and most of the time people can understant me, and I function as a somewhat normal part of society, but it's very, very hard to immerse yourself in another language and still be yourself. I feel like a different person, because little things that defined me in English are impossible to translate to Spanish. One just seems to think differently in distinct languages.

Okay, perhaps I got a little of topic. But I support the idea of a multilingual United States. Whatever negative effects caused by having people speaking different languages are quickly overcome by the positives.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
I would actually like you to explain
Ok then.

"Culture can be defined as all the ways of life including arts, beliefs and institutions of a population that are passed down from generation to generation. Culture has been called "the way of life for an entire society."[3] As such, it includes codes of manners, dress, language, religion, rituals, norms of behavior such as law and morality, and systems of belief as well as the art." - Wikipedia

Notice how it is stated as "the way of life for an entire society". Culture holds individuals to certain expectations. In other words, conformity.
People who do reach these expectations are accepted and may join the group-think by developing cultural pride. People who have not reached these expectations suffer negative social consequences.
Group-think has a few positive traits, but the negative traits hold far more bearing and prevent some from a desirable degree of freedom.

I'll let you keep thinking about it.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
cultural de-fusion(if its hyphenated) is a double edged sword. you get the good and the bad. i live in Miami which is basically a Cuban community. i not being Cuban and am from a higher class see all of their annoying and low class behavior. For the most part the low class Cubans are loud obnoxious and rude. They blast loud music at all hours of a a school/work night. **on bad sounding speakers i may add lol**so yea but thats the low class. When the Cubans are nice genuine people they bring culture in the culinary forms, musical forms ect. Same with black (sorry im not racist making a point is all) today at the beach and movie theater they were some blacks that were yelling out curses and yelling all through the movie and beach. But my best friend is black and im white (Italian/Colombian) so yea

pardon my language but i ****ing hate when people cant ****ing speak English it pisses the **** out if me were in America so learn to speak English.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
English is not an easy language, there is no reason to assume that because someone doesn't know how to speak it that they're not attempting. And really, if they can get by without any real trouble, why should they?

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Should it really be that easy for them, though? If we moved to another country and integrated directly into the mainstream we'd be expected to learn their language and learn it fast, no matter how difficult it is for us. There's going to be little or not hand-holding with us in their country.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
What's expected doesn't really matter, if they can get by without learning English, then there is no reason they need to learn English. I have a friend who lives in Paris, but he speaks almost no French. He can still get around well enough, so he has no real reason to learn French. Would it be better for him? Yeah, probably. Same for other immigrants into America, but I don't see any reason to throw a fit about people not speaking your language.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
I also live in Mesa Arizona and I HATE having to speak mexican (not spanish) to order my food at the local fast food drive through.

Seriously, I went to Jack in the Box and tried to order 4 tacos. I couldn't understand a single thing the person in the mic said and I ended up leaving with a Jumbo Jack and fries.

Half this city is covered in strip malls where ONLY 'spanish' is written on the signs. It is understood that if I go into one of these places I will likely not be spoken to simply because nobody speaks english.

I am all for people coming to this country (legally) to make a better life for themselves, but they need to learn the language.

This whole attitude that I need to learn a second language because somebody else refuses to learn the language of the country THEY LIVE IN is seriously screwed up.

I want to learn a second language and if I do it WILL NOT be spanish. If I ever decide to move to France, you can be certain I will learn french first.

Seriously, how rude is it to go somewhere and expect everybody to change themselves so you don't have to?

I see no reason why I should drive down a street for 5 miles and not be able to read a single thing on any of the store fronts.

aberz™

Smash Cadet
I also live in Mesa Arizona and I HATE having to speak mexican (not spanish) to order my food at the local fast food drive through.

Seriously, I went to Jack in the Box and tried to order 4 tacos. I couldn't understand a single thing the person in the mic said and I ended up leaving with a Jumbo Jack and fries.

Half this city is covered in strip malls where ONLY 'spanish' is written on the signs. It is understood that if I go into one of these places I will likely not be spoken to simply because nobody speaks english.

I am all for people coming to this country (legally) to make a better life for themselves, but they need to learn the language.

This whole attitude that I need to learn a second language because somebody else refuses to learn the language of the country THEY LIVE IN is seriously screwed up.

I want to learn a second language and if I do it WILL NOT be spanish. If I ever decide to move to France, you can be certain I will learn french first.

Seriously, how rude is it to go somewhere and expect everybody to change themselves so you don't have to?

I see no reason why I should drive down a street for 5 miles and not be able to read a single thing on any of the store fronts.
wtf, if you don't like where you live then gtfo. No need to run your mouth about other languages you don't understand.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

Well, I live in a similar area (El Paso, Texas) where most people speak Spanish. Don't get me wrong -- it's annoying. But, if you try to order food in English at a major food chain and the person talking does not understand the dominant language in the country, you should call in a complaint and get the person fired.

But, in smaller stores, this should be given leeway. You don't see 'Paco's Tacos' in a hispanic dominated area and think that everybody in their will speak English.

And about people expecting you to change yourself so they don't have to, isn't that a double-edged sword? You're demanding that they learn English, yet you still refuse to learn Spanish. If you drive down a street for five miles and you aren't able to read a single sign, then you should learn Spanish. Not to change for everybody else, but to make living easier for yourself.

And aberz... please try to be respectful.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I for one think that putting multiple languages in an area is definitely a bad thing. A situation where there are language barriers is worse than a situation where there isn't. The majority shouldn't have to bend to the minority to learn the language, especially when the minority are foreigners. If mexicans are given the privileged of being able to live in our country, they should earn their right to live here by learning our language. They shouldn't be so rude as to become a burden by making things harder for Americans by adding language barriers. You guys make "forcing mexicans to take english classes" out to be a bad thing, but I'm pretty sure that mexicans would also benefit from taking such classes as well as ourselves. They also would know what they're getting into moving here, if learning a language is that bad, why not stay in mexico? Why force our children, the majority, to learn a different language instead of the invading minority?

You guys talk about spreading culture being a good thing and that's why the language shouldn't change. But you can probably spread culture better if you can be understood. Language is a very small fraction of what makes up culture, and I think that changing it wouldn't really be that much of an impact on lifestyle at all.

We'd all be better off if a world language could be established though.....

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Wouldn't it be easier if the Mexican students learned English and the English students learned Spanish? That way, we spread culture, and we can understand people better in different parts of the world.

This subject is hard to argue on. It's not really bad to have a multi-lingual community. It's good for the brain, actually. But having tons of people come to your nation and not learning your own language is definitely annoying, even though I don't think that America has an official language yet. Here's a quote from my friend(he's got lots of bad quotes like this):

"If you're trilingual you speak 3 languages. If you're bilingual you speak 2 languages. If you only speak one language then you're American."

I definitely think that is a true statement. I have a friend from Belgium in town right now, and he speaks 2 languages fluently, and working on 3 more. However, most people in America don't care enough to learn more than one language, because they're lazy and they expect everyone else to do everything for them. It is very annoying to see everything manufactured in the states nowadays have instructions in English and Spanish, and sometimes even French. We need to have one *official* language so that people don't have these language barriers/annoyances.

However, that doesn't mean that multilingual communities are bad, as long as you know a universal language that everyone can understand.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
why are we only talking about Mexicans? to me it just seems it a bit rude and ignorant to only mention them when we are talking about everyone who speaks a language besides the dominant one, especially that part about speaking Mexican wtf is that supposed to mean? If you learn Spanish will you not be able to understand them because they speak Mexican? seriously that has to be the stupidest thing I've heard or are you just being racist and ignorant considering all Spanish speakers Mexican?

OT. I live in El Paso as well and being a multi-lingual community is good. We get a ton of people that cross the border every day especially in weekends and holidays just to shop. Some of them crossing daily to fill up gas at least they used to now you can actually save over 1700 dollars if you fill up the tank in Juarez 50 times depending on your car.

If we didn't become a multi-lingual community we would loose all these customers. Shop owners higher bi lingual people here because they know it will attract tourists. After all where would you go to the restaurant where the waiter will demand you speak English or to the restaurant where they will understand you with out a problem and are able to have a conversation with you about politics, the economy, a recent movie, or just the weather.

As for the people who don't actually learn the second language, they are probably just lazy or stupid but there are plenty who are trying. The bad thing is a lot of them are ridiculed for having ascents or saying something in the wrong tense. This discourages plenty of people from even practicing it when they could just say things in there native tongue and be perfectly happy with the results even if it means going to a certain shop and never trying taco bell or McDonald.

edit: (I added a period where it was supposed to go)

Steck

Smash Journeyman
I think its positive. If Spanish keeps growing here in the US then we will have to make it mandatory in schools so people will be able to communicate (of course kids would have to learn English too). I think America needs to learn that culture changes. The spanish influence has brought different music and food. Ultimately the people who live in the united states should generate where its culture goes and spanish/latinos are a growing presence among those people. Its only natural that their influence on US culture has grown. Having diverse culture adds more of a uniqueness to US culture. Living with spanish/latino influences would be part of being an American.
I recently went to French Canada and they seem to make it work over there. However there may be clashes between those who want English or Spanish to stay alive if one side becomes dominate. When I went to Canada there was some controversy over Whether or not Paul McCartney would speak French during his concert. Still that type of argument could be seen as a neat aspect of a Multilingual culture that serve to make the american experience richer.

L__

Smash Master
*sigh*

seinyuuN/A said:

People are encouraged to take more languages these days so we have more opportunities right? I find this interesting due to the fact that there are people out there that are unable to progress with the times and learn a new language. What are we going to do with those people? Give them manual labor? Did you bother thinking about the people who usually do office work? If they're so used to the cubicle lifestyle, speak one language, can be replaced by a bilingual person who will do the same work for cheaper, what will they do when they're job gets sent elsewhere? Sure it is great, people will not want to learn a new language due to circumstance.
Intelligent? When you're younger. Successful? Ha. Tell that to the people in midlife crisis unwilling to learn a new language.

Eor said:
QFT.

the US Government said:
"You might be surprised that for more than 200 years, Americans have gotten by without declaring English their official language."
http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/USlanguages.html

cF=) said:
I'm from Quebec and my view on this is pretty simple: if you come to my province, at least TRY to speak french. I don't have any problem dealing with english speakers as long as they show respect to my mother tongue and its history, but this is often not the case since I'm stuck in an english country.

That's mainly why Quebec is trying to separate itself from the rest of Canada: we don't share the same tongue, history, or cultural background.
George W. Bush said:
"Learning somebody else's language is a kind gesture, and a gesture of interest. It is a fundamental way to reach out to somebody and say, 'I care about you'. I want you to know that I'm interested in not only how you talk but how you live."
I don't care what you say about George Bush, as long as you don't say that wasn't a good quote.

marthanoob said:
I prefer the efficiency of a standardized language. If we go multilingual, the Spanish speaking residents will have no motivation to learn English. That can be a problem. They could get fooled by professional jargon when in trouble or in other situations.
QFE.

doom dragon 105 said:
pardon my language but i ****ing hate when people cant ****ing speak English it pisses the **** out if me were in America so learn to speak English.
QFE.

Eor said:
English is not an easy language,
I would say it's easier than Mandarin at times as well as Vietnamese.

Eor said:
there is no reason to assume that because someone doesn't know how to speak it that they're not attempting.
QFE.

derek.haines said:
If we moved to another country and integrated directly into the mainstream we'd be expected to learn their language and learn it fast, no matter how difficult it is for us.
There's nothing wrong with a little challenge.

Eor said:
if they can get by without learning English, then there is no reason they need to learn English.
QFE.

Kur said:
Is there something wrong with "Spanish"? How come you won't recognize it as what its supposed to be?

Kur said:
Don't be ignorant. The most idiotic people in the world are.

Kur said:
It is pretty **** rude, but if no one will agree to one set thing, then compromise. If not, there will be some sort of idiotic fight.

aberz™ said:
wtf, if you don't like where you live then gtfo. No need to run your mouth about other languages you don't understand.
SkylerOcon said:
But, if you try to order food in English at a major food chain and the person talking does not understand the dominant language in the country, you should call in a complaint and get the person fired.
What kind of ******* would hire a person that didn't speak English; In America? 82.1% of all legal residents within America speak ... big suprise; English.

IWontGetOverTheDam said:
Kur, you seem to be under the impression that English is America's official language.
QFE.

slartibartfast42 said:
We'd all be better off if a world language could be established though.....
There is, it's called English. [/sarcasm] What country doesn't have a percent speaking English? Sorry I seriously don't know. I'd like to be wrong.

SkylerOcon said:
Wouldn't it be easier if the Mexican students learned English and the English students learned Spanish?
Would you mind using Latino, Hispanic, or any of the other terms instead of "Mexican"?

"If you're trilingual you speak 3 languages. If you're bilingual you speak 2 languages. If you only speak one language then you're American."

QFE.

Erich said:
as long as you know a universal language that everyone can understand.
Too bad we don't have one.

ArturitoBurrito said:
why are we only talking about Mexicans? to me it just seems it a bit rude and ignorant to only mention them when we are talking about everyone who speaks a language besides the dominant one, especially that part about speaking Mexican wtf is that supposed to mean? If you learn Spanish will you not be able to understand them because they speak Mexican? seriously that has to be the stupidest thing I've heard or are you just being racist and ignorant considering all Spanish speakers Mexican?
QFE.

Steck said:
I think its positive.
This isn't a Yes or No question. There is a gray area, learn to understand what it is.

Steck said:
we will have to make it mandatory in schools so people will be able to communicate
No, it will be recommended. You don't see everyone taking English and Spanish at the same time in Public schools because it is required.

Steck said:
I think America needs to learn that culture changes.
You're talking about America, the Cultural Imperialist. They aren't going to care as much what goes on here as what happens with their finances elsewhere. Look at McDonalds. The golden arches are more famous than anything you can imagine. Culture is fading as the mighty entity we needed to go on. Now look at us, MTV, VH1, Sexploitation, looser morals, is there no end?

Steck said:
Having diverse culture adds more of a uniqueness to US culture.
What's unique is how racist and f*cked up America is as of now. Don't get me started.

-L

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

And what language precisely would this be?

Last I remember, the US has no official language, which means that the local language is the majority language of the area, which can be as localized as an individual establishment.

The point being, if I wanted to start a restaurant that only served patrons that ordered in Tagalog, I would be perfectly within my rights.

If you don't like it, don't patronize the establishment, if this proves to be enough of an issue to that they don't get enough patrons to maintain their business with their current selection of language, they will change it or go out of business in favor of a group that does offer your preferred language.

Change how?

The official never had an official language and has for the vast majority of it's history been rather culturally diverse.

And I see no reason that the stores have to cater just to you, there are other target demographics out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom