• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A more balanced fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangme

Smash Apprentice
I have unlocked the true balance that lies deep within the games programming. You do this by playing Special Brawl and turning on Heavy Gravity and making the speed fast. Also, when your inside, change the Attack Ratio [Attack Ratio rite?] to .7, this way characters can combo much more easier.

I've been playing around with this for some time now, and I find that most of the characters who are classified as Low Tier material [Example is that C.Falcon can Chaingrab with his Dthrow, and Ness can Infinte people who is taller then him with his Dthrow]

When I say balanced, I mean that Low Tier characters have more chances of winning then the high tier ones. Like Snake, whenever he's off stage it'll be harder for him to recover, and for Metaknight, I don't remember correctly, but I think his jumps were really small, so it's harder to recover with him as well.

Well, I could go further into this but I'll see if you guys agree with me.

EDIT: Overall, I had a lot of fun comboing with low tier characters, It was much more fun then the slow Brawl I usually play.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Okay well what about the high tier characters?
You can't just keep changing the rules to benefit the weak.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Gets me to thinking, if changing the gametype like this makes more characters reasonably viable but eliminates some in the upper tier...

That is to say, imagine there's a way of playing the game that basically makes, say, Snake and Meta Knight completely useless, but more or less balances the entire rest of the cast. Would the collective whining of the Snake and MK mains be enough to hold this gametype back?

Not necessarily saying that's what this gametype is. Heavy mode makes a lot of characters a real pain to use, especially on smaller levels, but it is fun for a change of pace and it does add something to the game.

Not to mention nobody cares about making the game more balanced at the expense of changing it in these ways. They'd rather just complain and say how much Melee's better.

Mangme

Smash Apprentice
Well Marth has 3 Chaingrabs, and so does Ike.

Marth's Throws.

He's better with Dthrow.

Uthrow barely works with Marth, but still works.

Ike's Throws

Dthrow only works for him at low %

His Uthrow is his better chain grab.

Both of them are average with they're Fthrow.

-Ran

Smash Master
Old news. We tend to see a thread like this every few weeks. If you want to have special rules for when you play with your friends, great. The tournament standard won't be changing.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Old news. We tend to see a thread like this every few weeks. If you want to have special rules for when you play with your friends, great. The tournament standard won't be changing.
These threads are shot down every time, and I really don't get why. They aren't inciting a flamewar, they suggest a different way to play, backed up with observational facts. Then they get bashed by one or two forum veterans before getting closed without explanation. I had a thread I opened up two hours ago about using items to balance the game. One person responded and said it was an interesting idea, and then the thread was closed for some reason. Are you all that close-minded? there's a lot of really, really stupid threads on the "Brawl General Discussion" board, so why do these well-written, thought out threads get the axe?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
These threads are shot down every time, and I really don't get why. They aren't inciting a flamewar, they suggest a different way to play, backed up with observational facts. Then they get bashed by one or two forum veterans before getting closed without explanation. I had a thread I opened up two hours ago about using items to balance the game. One person responded and said it was an interesting idea, and then the thread was closed for some reason. Are you all that close-minded? there's a lot of really, really stupid threads on the "Brawl General Discussion" board, so why do these well-written, thought out threads get the axe?
Because stupidity is the trend of the decade.
This is why I don't fit it in.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Heavy gravity gimps recoveries, especially multi-jump ones. 0.7 damage ratio results in longer matches. Fast speed only complicates things further.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Link's recovery is usually screwed. With this ruleset, you screw even more his recovery.

WTF do you call "balance"? This just unbalances it moar!

Ørion

Smash Ace
Ya, special brawls will never be tournament standard unless the situation with top tier characters become extremely desperate. + by now everyone is used to normal, this would change everything for almost everyone.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Ok, I follow. I was arguing, however, that the items might be necessary for competitive play, and the eventual point was basically what I'm arguing in this thread: many people have complained at length about Brawl's engine, but very few people have suggested altering the way we play the game to fix the broken system.

I'm not sure playing on heavy and fast with 0.7 damage ratio is going to fix every problem we have with the game, but the OP is definitely on the right track. The developers took a lot of things away from players, but they also gave us many new ways to change the game on our own. Brawl will NEVER be Melee, but there's a possibility it can be something just as good, if only we're willing to let it be completely different.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Oh No! Oh God, Kill It! Kill It Now, Or God Help Us!
Why Do You Capitalize Every Word? Just Wondering.

Well heavy gravity screws over jumping and damage ratio set to 0.7 just drags out the battle. The speed wouldn't matter since the damage needed to KO some one would be greater making the match last around the same as a regular unchanged match.

Mangme

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this truly isn't balanced since GaW infinte someone with his Dthrow over and over and kill them with his Dsmash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom