• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A message of hope for Geno, Ridley, Krystal, etc fans.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Read before reading the rest of this thread: I actually wrote this on Friday before I went to Paris so I hope I’m not too late with this message. I’ve noticed that a fair share of Smash Board's members have packed things up because their favourite characters didn’t make the cut and, as you’d expect, this message is for them. If you are one of the 100% satisfied with all the decisions that Sakurai and his staff made regarding the final roster (that includes your feelings regarding the return of clones/semi clones and multiple people having the same final smashes) this thread is not for you. Also, just to make it clear, I'm not proposing hacking the game or starting a petition demanding for downloadable characters but instead, thinking reasonably about the future and patterns I've noticed.

If you're like most people here, you've seen the roster and, chances are, you are disappointed with at least one thing about it. Maybe you're disappointed that Ganondorf and Young Link are still clones. Maybe you're disappointed that Fox, a character who most people wanted nerfed, now has two semi-clones (Luigified versions, for you sensitive types) that seem just as broken. Maybe you're disappointed with the addition of ROB. Maybe you're disappointed because one of your most wanted characters didn't make the cut. I'm here to address this last group.

Geno, Krystal, Ridley, Megaman, Isaac, Takamaru, etc are not playable, that much is obvious. If you're like many people here, you wanted at least one of these characters in. The point of this thread is to help fans like yourself look at the future to SSB4 and realise that these characters stand a decent chance of becoming playable in the next installment. No, I'm not being delusional but I am trying to be logical based on what we saw for Melee and Brawl.

Let's take a look at the new characters that were added in Melee and compare how well they did on the offical Melee poll back in 2001:

Bowser (Most requested character overall and first in the Mario category)

Peach (Second most requested character in the Mario category)

Ganondorf (Most requested character in the Zelda category)

Young Link, Zelda, and Shiek (Tied for the second most requested character in the Zelda category)

Falco (Most requested character in the Star Fox category)

Mewtwo (Most requested character in the Pokemon category)

Marth (Most requested character in the Fire Emblem category)

A lot of fan requests in there, wasn't there? The Ice Climbers, who only had 4 votes, became playable to represent a retro franchise, Mr. Game and Watch was added as the WTF character, and Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were added simply because Sakurai wanted them there.

When this roster was revealed though, like now, many people were very upset. Where's Wario, they asked. What about King Dedede? Diddy Kong isn't even in the game!?! Some of the most popular choices were left on the cutting room floor. Some were explained (like Metaknight, Dedede, and Pit) and others weren't (Diddy, Wario, and Wolf). Like now, many still saw Melee as a fun game but it felt lacking in the roster especially with all the clones (history really does repeat itself, eh?).

Fast forward to the present day and we are once again in the same prediciment, deserving and unique characters getting the shaft and the roster being stuffed to the gills with clones and semi-clones. Upon closer inspection, we learn something very intersting; most of the characters in Brawl's roster were characters that the fans heavily wanted in Melee and it showed in the Melee poll. Allow me to show you:

Wario (Third most requested character in the Mario category)

Pokemon Trainer/Red (Third most requested character in the Pokemon category)

King Dedede (Most requested character in the Kirby category.)

Metaknight (Third most requested character in the Kirby category.)

Wolf (Third most requested character in the Star Fox category *behind Slippy, actually*)

Diddy Kong (Third most requested character in the Rare Ware category *behind James Bond and Banjo/Kazooie*)

Pit was in the Melee poll too and recieved 5 votes.

It was confirmed by Kojima that Snake was considered for Melee but was left out due to time constraints.

It was confirmed by Naka that Sonic was considered for Melee but was left out due to time constraints.

That leaves everyone except ROB (the WTF character and more then likely Sakurai stand alone choice like GW in Melee), Olimar (most requested "minor" Nintendo franchise character in the Brawl poll), Ike (most requested Fire Emblem character, obviously) and Lucario (take a wild guess).

Now notice how Sakurai took out the three characters from Melee he choose for his own reasons (Pichu, Roy, and Dr. Mario) and a character that many of the fans agree he "messed up" on (Mewtwo).

Now with this line of logic, let's hypthosize what Nintendo might do for the next Smash Bros game. Corresponding to the Brawl poll, Sakurai created a journal that contained the 290 entries into the poll that interested him and his staff the most. There were 21 characters that were mentioned more then once in this journal and only 9 that were mentioned 3 times or more. It's no surprize that most of these characters corresponded to what the fans wanted. These were those characters:

King Dedede (5 entries)
Geno (5 entries)
Diddy Kong (4 entries)
Ike (4 entries)
Ridley (4 entries)
Captain Olimar (3 entries)
Wind Waker Link (3 entries)
Krystal (3 entries)
Takamaru (3 entries)

It should also be noted that the only third party character *besides Geno* that was mentioned more then once was Megaman with 2 entries.

King Dedede and Diddy Kong, characters that people heavily wanted in Melee, became playable, Ridley became a boss that you fight not once but twice, Ike and Olimar became playable, Young Link was made into Toon Link, Krystal so far has only been confirmed to have a cameo, Takamaru only has a trophy and the original theme from the Mystery of Murasume castle, and Geno even didn’t show up (along with anything else from Super Mario RPG supposedly because Nintendo didn’t like the conditions that Square Enix set despite them agreeing to it).

Now, based on what I've laid out, what can be hypothesized? For Melee, Sakurai used many characters that many people felt should have been in the original and a few that were current fan favorites. For Brawl, he did exactly the same thing. For both of these situations, the big fan favorites were made available straight from the get-go so what would stop them from doing it in the next game? From what I've laid, Ridley is obviously the front runner for villains in general, Krystal is the front runner for Star Fox and female characters (ZSS was technically a “new” female addition, ugh), Geno is the front runner for Mario and retro characters, and Megaman is front runner for third party. What's interesting about these observations is that Sakurai and his team have looked more to the past then the present to decide their roster and I'm very confident that it'll happen again 5-6 years down the road.

And because I’m sure someone will bring it up: “Ridley won’t ever be playable because he was a boss and *insert character here* was an AT.” Keep in mind that Charizard was pokeball pokemon in not one but two of the previous instalments. It may not be much but it's definately something to think about.

I know it’s definitely going to be awhile until the sequel to Brawl comes out. It may seem like a long time but, trust me, the time will go by faster then you think. You may feel like you’ve been betrayed but, as I explained, this feeling is nothing new. Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede fans felt this way after Melee came out but they finally got the last laugh years down the road. My point in all this is simple and should be keep in mind as you play Brawl and have “what-if” situations running through your head: don't let your character dreams die just yet.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I agree that they have a very high chance of making it in the next one.

I don't mind the current characters, and am glad R.O.B. made it in for historical significance.

I'd rather wait for a fully original moveset character than get a clone or an assist trophy, so I am content in waiting for SSB IV

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Heh, I posted on the last thread too. I'm still bummed about Krystal (and hopefully it won't be too late for her next time around), but just seeing Wolf in action in this game made me feel a little better.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not so sure if I even care about Smash anymore in 6 years...
Well, I'm currently 20 years old and I hope to have video games continue to be a hobby of mine well into the future. Heck, I've been playing them since I was 3 so I might as well. :laugh: Granted, I won't be wasting my days away on forums but I'll definately want to stay abrush on Smash because it encompasses everything I love about Nintendo. Still, I'm also assuming that not everyone here with quit video games cold turkey in the future.

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
6 Years?! I'll be 24 by then! I don't think I'll ever stop playing computer games!

It may have to do with begining ''Computer Games and Animation Technogly'' course this September at Uni! :bee:

I'm hyped!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's always 2015.
Yep and I imagine that Nintendo will use the exact same trends: Lucario will be replaced by a pokemon from the most recent generation, Ike may get the boot for a more recent FE lord, and a clone/semi clone will probably be cut (more then likely Wolf because he's the only genuinely new semi-clone besides Lucas and chances are he'll be around in the next installment because it's already been said that the chance of another Mother game coming out is extremelly small). I have a hard time imagining Snake coming back in the next game simply because he meerly got in because Sakurai's such good friends with Kojima and how MGS4 has been confirmed to be the last MGS game.

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
How likely is it that another Smash game is made? And how likely is it that Sakurai will be involved?

Something sticks in my mind about this being the last installment/Sakurai's last SS hurrah, but maybe I'm imagining it

EDIT: ...and if they do make another super smash, wouldn't it be funny if there was a big uproar because R.O.B. didn't make it in? :chuckle:

ShurikenBW

Smash Cadet
I can wait 6-7 more years since I'm content with the roster, but there's one thing I truly wish for SSB4. I want every single character to return, every single one of them. No replacing anybody, each character has fans, it sucks when someone is removed/replaced.

Black/Light

Smash Master
How likely is it that another Smash game is made? And how likely is it that Sakurai will be involved?

Something sticks in my mind about this being the last installment/Sakurai's last SS hurrah, but maybe I'm imagining it
No, your not imagining it. We don't even know if theres going to be a 4th SSB game (this is said to be the last one) and if there is we don't know if Sakurai will be behind it. . .and if he aint than it's going to be Brawl with more characters and w/e new Wii2 feature and will proply suck compared to brawl (or atleast lack anything freash).

And with that said ALOT of things can happen in the next 6 years. Samus can get a actual main villian like Bowser in her series making Lee just a common side villian. Fox can get a new honey to mac on depining on what ending in command the devs of the next SF games take. Geno. . .thats just not going to happen. . .not now and not 6 years from now.

I may not be 100% happy with the roster (more like 98.02%) but I will take my de-cloned Falco and original Wolf and be happy. No need trying to wait yet another 6 years for 3-4 characters to come into a game thats not even confirmed to come in the first place. Treat this smash like it's the last cause thats what Sakurai did and that may very well be the case.

Edit: Typos all over the place. . .too busy to fix, sorry.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Brawl has almost already sold close to a million copies and it hasn't even been a week. Do you seriously think that Nintendo's going to drop such a cash cow? :laugh: Also, to put in it perspective, Miyamoto hasn't directed a Zelda game since a Link to the Past or a Mario game since Super Mario 64 and did they just stop those franchises? Sakurai hasn't directed a Kirby game since Kirby Superstar and has that franchise disappeared into the sands of time? Yotoi, who created the Metroid franchise, died in 1999 and did Retro Studios find a way to revive the series? People can pass the reigns to their franchises, you know. Heck, Miyamoto has done it for Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, DK, and F-Zero and the most recent franchise he's directed is Pikmin. I'm more then positive that they can find a replacement for Sakurai and, even if you don't find an up and coming director, that can always depend on the likes of Miyamoto to think of something.

Also, just a side note, if this was really the last Smash Bros game; I think Nintendo would have made a much bigger deal about it and the roster wouldn't have been so lackluster.

@ the above;

1. That's what they said about Melee.

2. Wolf is definately not 100% original and both him and Falco are semi-clones.

3. From what I've noticed, the fan's tastes don't dramatically change and neither do most of the franchises themselves so I seriously doubt that Ridley will be replaced or Fox will get a new main squeeze. The only ones that really change character wise are pokemon and Fire Emblem and I already explained that earlier. The proof's in the pudding when I showed how some of the most wanted characters for Melee were some of the most wanted for Brawl.

4. They've also been saying that Twilight Princess was the last Zelda game and that Pokemon Diamond/Pearl was the last pokemon game...:ohwell:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Isaac better be playable in the next Super Smash Bros. game.

And we better get a roster that wasn't actually rushed, too. :ohwell:

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace

EDIT: ...and if they do make another super smash, wouldn't it be funny if there was a big uproar because R.O.B. didn't make it in? :chuckle:
using phychic powers can be dangerous. :)

The BSC

Smash Rookie

Rumor has it that SSB4 is already in the works, but Miyamoto is helming it now that Sakurai has announced this will be his last.

Hopefully this means that Sakurai can finally get around to working on Kirby Wii.

therealssjlink

Smash Apprentice
Also, to put in it perspective, Miyamoto hasn't directed a Zelda game since a Link to the Past or a Mario game since Super Mario 64 and did they just stop those franchises?
Ocarina of Time. He stated that he was working on OoT and SM64 at the same time.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Rumor has it that SSB4 is already in the works, but Miyamoto is helming it now that Sakurai has announced this will be his last.

Hopefully this means that Sakurai can finally get around to working on Kirby Wii.
I hope this is true.

AND WOLF. IS. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. TO. FOX.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace

Miyamoto is acceptable.

Ocarina of Time. He stated that he was working on OoT and SM64 at the same time.
yeah, and you can kind of feel it too, I mean don't get me wrong I like the new zelda games, but OoT definately had a living immersion factor.

Miyamoto needs to just make games full time and leave the corperate stuff to someone else, the same for Iwata, we want more HAL games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isaac better be playable in the next Super Smash Bros. game.

And we better get a roster that wasn't actually rushed, too. :ohwell:
Well, it's weird; he pretty much admitted that a good portion of Melee's roster was last minute but, with Brawl, I imagine that the roster was actually decided as early as June 2006 in order to give the developers plenty of time to incorporate all the of the roster into the SSE and be able to plan the story and cutscenes around them. In a sense, I guess they could have both been rushed except Melee's was late in development while Brawl's was relatively early. That could explain all the clones/semi-clones, why a decent amount of the veterans aren't that different from Melee, and all the people that share the same final smashes.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Brawl has almost already sold close to a million copies and it hasn't even been a week. Do you seriously think that Nintendo's going to drop such a cash cow? :laugh: Also, to put in it perspective, Miyamoto hasn't directed a Zelda game since a Link to the Past or a Mario game since Super Mario 64 and did they just stop those franchises? Sakurai hasn't directed a Kirby game since Kirby Superstar and has that franchise disappeared into the sands of time? Yotoi, who created the Metroid franchise, died in 1999 and did Retro Studios find a way to revive the series? People can pass the reigns to their franchises, you know. Heck, Miyamoto has done it for Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, DK, and F-Zero and the most recent franchise he's directed is Pikmin. I'm more then positive that they can find a replacement for Sakurai and, even if you don't find an up and coming director, that can always depend on the likes of Miyamoto to think of something.

Also, just a side note, if this was really the last Smash Bros game; I think Nintendo would have made a much bigger deal about it and the roster wouldn't have been so lackluster.

@ the above;

1. That's what they said about Melee.

2. Wolf is definately not 100% original and both him and Falco are semi-clones.

3. From what I've noticed, the fan's tastes don't dramatically change and neither do most of the franchises themselves so I seriously doubt that Ridley will be replaced or Fox will get a new main squeeze. The only ones that really change character wise are pokemon and Fire Emblem and I already explained that earlier. The proof's in the pudding when I showed how some of the most wanted characters for Melee were some of the most wanted for Brawl.

4. They've also been saying that Twilight Princess was the last Zelda game and that Pokemon Diamond/Pearl was the last pokemon game...:ohwell:
Fun fact! Miyamoto jumped in as director for Twilight Princess mid-way through the game because he didn't like the direction it was going in. Originally, he was a producer.

And no, Smash will continue. It's a huge cash flow and incredibly popular. Even if they have to rehash it, we'll get more Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fun fact! Miyamoto jumped in as director for Twilight Princess mid-way through the game because he didn't like the direction it was going in. Originally, he was a producer.

And no, Smash will continue. It's a huge cash flow and incredibly popular. Even if they have to rehash it, we'll get more Smash.
Yep because Nintendo has yet to stop any franchise that's been popular in more then one region. Think about it: Metroid was stopped for 9 years because Super Metroid's sales sucked in Japan and Mother was stopped for 11 years because Earthbound's sales sucked in America. Melee was the best selling game on the Gamecube and it's almost a no brainer that Brawl will be in the one or two spot for the Wii (let's face it, Wii Play's going to be extremelly hard to beat) so there's really no doubt that it'll continue on.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Wait, NO ONE every said TP was the last LoZ game. Thats a miss-quote. It's "the last LoZ game of its kind" meaning the new ones will be massively different in some unknown way.

And DP was never said to be the last pokemon game. People started to think they would stop after the 4th gen just like they did when the 3rd gen came out because all they really do is add in 100+ more mons and afew new features.

And the smash series is not one of nintendo's top series. As of now its had 2 world wide games that, collectively, has sold around 12 mill copies which is a fare cry from Mario's 180 mill and pokemons 165 mill (last I checked) which are both followed by the likes of LoZ/ DK/ Metroid/ Kriby etc which have each done more than 30mill each (I think I can ball park it. LoZ being in the low 100 mills/ DK being in the 60 mills/ M and Kriby being in 30 mills. Could be wrong but I clearly remember a "top 100 selling video game series" and people where confused why smash wasn't on it.)

And Wolf aint a clone or semi-clone. Theres no such thing as a "semi-clone". Theres "alike" characters at this point. . .

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait, NO ONE every said TP was the last LoZ game. Thats a miss-quote. It's "the last LoZ game of its kind" meaning the new ones will be massively different in some unknown way.

And DP was never said to be the last pokemon game. People started to think they would stop after the 4th gen just like they did when the 3rd gen came out because all they really do is add in 100+ more mons and afew new features.

And the smash series is not one of nintendo's top series. As of now its had 2 world wide games that, collectively, has sold around 12 mill copies which is a fare cry from Mario's 180 mill and pokemons 165 mill (last I checked) which are both followed by the likes of LoZ/ DK/ Metroid/ Kriby etc which have each done more than 30mill each (I think I can ball park it. LoZ being in the low 100 mills/ DK being in the 60 mills/ M and Kriby being in 30 mills. Could be wrong but I clearly remember a "top 100 selling video game series" and people where confused why smash wasn't on it.)
1. I'm not misquoting anyone but rather been going off what some of the fans believe.

2. Same as the above.

3. Okay, you're leaving out a ton of details regarding this.

Number one: SSB started in 1999 and nearly all of Nintendo's other franchises have had more then a head start like how Mario technically began in 1979 with Donkey Kong.

Number two: It has only 2 games. Would like to compare that to the more then 100 Mario games or 20+ Pokemon, Kirby, etc games? Would you also like to compare the number of Mario and Zelda games that have come out since the last SSB game? Given that it has sold 12 million copies with only two games is more then outstanding as far as non casual games go.

Number three: It may not be the top selling franchise but it is easily one of the most important simply because it encompasses Nintendo's past, present, and future and brings together talent from all across the video game world.

Number four: Brawl has almost an equal amount of appeal in nearly all its regions and is comparable to Animal Crossing or Pokemon in that regard. Zelda and Mario have been slipping in Japan in recent years and Metroid's never been able to get a firm grop there anyways. Also it should be obvious, franchises like this are very important to Nintendo because they pretty much guarentee success with every new release.

This will probably be the last comment I'll respond to until tommorrow simply because I'm in the UK and the computer lab I'm in closes in about 15 minutes.

Black/Light

Smash Master
1. I'm not misquoting anyone but rather been going off what some of the fans believe.
Yeah, just like fans thought Geno was a sheo in. . .

It was never said by any official source there for it's not the case here now is it? Random interwebs joe saying "OMGZ! TP is pr0)plies the last LoZ game" =/= Sakurai saying brawl is the last SSB game.

3. Okay, you're leaving out a ton of details regarding this.

Number one: SSB started in 1999 and nearly all of Nintendo's other franchises have had more then a head start like how Mario technically began in 1979 with Donkey Kong.
Yes. . .your point? It's not one of their "top selling series". Nintendo has many monster seller series. . .one Ninten dogs game alone sold more than Halo 2 and both smash games at 14 mill.

What Im refer to are top selling series. . .simple. Never said it wasn't a great selling game but for Nintendo it's not a top selling SERIES on it's own.

Number two: It has only 2 games. Would like to compare that to the more then 100 Mario games or 20+ Pokemon, Kirby, etc games? Would you also like to compare the number of Mario and Zelda games that have come out since the last SSB game? Given that it has sold 12 million copies with only two games is more then outstanding as far as non casual games go.
It's only had 2 games. . .prime reason why it's not a top selling series to Nintendo. Theres a difference between being apart of a companies top selling series and being a series that sells well.

Number three: It may not be the top selling franchise but it is easily one of the most important simply because it encompasses Nintendo's past, present, and future and brings together talent from all across the video game world.
THAN SAY THAT. Don't say it's one of their top selling series when it's not. We all know it's important to Nintendo but being important to Nintendo=/=being one of their top selling series.

The reason the 2 games it had before now have sold soo well is because of the creativity and collective time Sakurai has pumped into those 2 games. Thats why they are soo great, thats why we love them and thats why everyone at Nintendo knew Sakurai had to make "SSB3" if it where to be made. With out Sakurai it will probly be Brawl with more characters (probly mostly clones as to stay on the safe side and not have to screw with stuff) and the backlash will start again.

#4 is just more of the same from #3. Don't try to get away with saying it's one of their top selling series by talking about how important it is. Sells don't lie and SSB is a good selling series but by no means is it a top selling series in the world of Nintendo.

Funny, people bash Nintendo for over use-age of their series yet you hear people cheer at the thought of a rehashed Brawl with more chars (probly just clones) just cause they didn't get the ones they wanted in brawl.

This will probably be the last comment I'll respond to until tommorrow simply because I'm in the UK and the computer lab I'm in closes in about 15 minutes.
I don't really care to "debate". The facts are clear, LoZ:TP was never stated to be the last LoZ game by a official (unlike brawl) so thats a moot point. Pokemon DP was never stated as such either so thats moot as well. Smash has only had 2 world wode releases this fare and is not a top selling series to Nintendo. . .why, cause Nintendo has a crap load of top selling series (Again, one of the lil NintenDogs games out sold both smashs and Halo 2 at 14 mill)

Oh, and again, theres no brawl clones and theres no such things as "semi-clones". The word "clones" came from what Sakurai called characters like Roy/ Falco/ Ganon and Pichu in melee which was "model change characters". As in, these characters where only different in stats/ appearnce and effect.

That was the clear line for what makes a clone. . .not being "alike" to an other character but being a character with a different model and different effects/ stats. Theres no bs phase like "semi-clone" for these characters like Falco and Wolf who aint Fox clones but are alike to him.

Closest thing for Falco is "Luigied" and people who have played the game even say that that isn't a good enuff repersentation of how different he is to Fox. Wolf, on the other hand, is said to be so fare from Fox that he might as well be called a original character.

antimatter

Smash Lord
the definition of semi-clones are those who have all of their b moves derived from someone else. at least, that is what people seem to mean when they say that. dont flame me for interpreting what i've noticed, i know i havent played the game, they are way different, yadda yadda yadda.

okor

Smash Apprentice
What I find funny is that even if Geno, Isaac, Megaman, etc. are added in the next SSB, people will probably have formed a new list of characters that they will be severely disappointed when they aren't in the next game.

antimatter

Smash Lord
true, but there have been characters wanted since the melee poll that still havent gotten in.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
What I find funny is that even if Geno, Isaac, Megaman, etc. are added in the next SSB, people will probably have formed a new list of characters that they will be severely disappointed when they aren't in the next game.
Tails, Knuckles, Krystal, Ryu, Dante, Cloud, Banjo/Kazooie, and Lara Croft for Brawl.

If all of these shoe-ins don't make it, then no sale. :laugh:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya thats pretty much what i think the characters that didn\'t make it in this game will more than likely be in the next SSB\'s I still hope that they keep it one smash per system though i thing putting out more than one on a system will water wash the franchise. So we might be waiting a while but it\'ll be worth it when all of the characters that didn\'t make it this time will make the cut next time.

Top Bottom