• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Merchant's Tale: The Spammer War~ Chapter 12- The Storm

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
A Merchant’s Tale 2: The Spammer War

Prologue

It has been six months since McFox joined the SmashWorld military. He has gone on several missions since then, but none as important as his first, in the Oracle. Gideon has spent many months preparing an army to fight against the Spammers, who could attack at any time. Some of the Moderators are questioning Gideon’s battle plans. Why doesn’t he attack them now? They know the location of the Spammers. But Gideon refuses to attack first.

McFox’s child is scheduled to be born in one week. In the meantime, he has the trial of Venom Dream to attend…

Biographies

McFox~ A scientist by nature, but officially an agent of SmashWorld, McFox’s life had been one hectic, react react react react situation, ever since his evil clone, Mac Fox, kidnapped his family. In recent months, McFox has had time to reflect on some of the things he’s done, and some of the things he may have to do. He does not particularly encourage the idea of a Spammer versus SmashWorld war, but there really is no way to avoid it. The war is coming, but it is unclear when.

McFox now wonders why he ever joined Gideon’s army. He does not enjoy fighting, much less with Spammers, which he had never actually encountered before. McFox had only truly seen Spammers once, on a surveillance mission to one of their camps. They were ugly, as was to be expected, but did not look particularly threatening at the time. Deltaorange Samus, who was being paid to be in overall command of the mission, probably could’ve beaten all of the Spammers in that camp himself. Of course if he had, it wouldn’t have been a surveillance mission anymore. When they were close to being captured, Deltaorange gave the command to retreat.

McFox is happily married. His wife, Lily, is due to give birth to their first child in one week. McFox is of course giddily bouncing off of the walls in anticipation, but he tries no to let it show. Because Lily is in no condition to watch the store anymore, McFox has hired a friend of his, Ticadrius, to work in his store while he is away. Ticadrius, or Tictac, as his nickname has become known, is a hard and intelligent worker. Tictac also helped McFox finish the work on his car, when his older one blew up after a few very strange occurances.

Lily~ Lily is the wife of McFox Fox. She is now about nine months pregnant, and is expected to give birth in one week. She loves her husband, and anxiously anticipates the arrival of their baby. Of course Lily has gone crazy with decorating a new room for it, and buying it things like toys that it will not even understand how to use for a while. Lily and McFox have asked Dr. Mario not to tell them the gender of the baby, as they want it to be a surprise.

McFox and Lily were wed about a month after Gideon’s acceptance into power over SmashWorld. Meredith, Lily’s mother, did not really like or accept Lily’s love for McFox until fairly recently. Jimmy, Lily’s father, however, did like McFox since he had met him, and had eagerly approved the wedding.

Deltaorange Samus~ A Delta Force Base bounty hunter, Deltaorange Samus is one of the best in the business. He has never been known to fail in capturing his target. The modified orange Chozo suit he wears almost identically resembles that of Samus Aran, quite possibly the most famous bounty hunter of all time.

Deltaorange is also an ally to SmashWorld. He has on several occasions worked for Gideon without pay, although that is a very rare occurrence. While it is true he aids SmashWorld, Deltaorange always expects to be paid for his first-class services.

Riafron~ Partner and best friend to Deltaorange Samus, Riafron is a Phrynosan, a large, lizard look-alike. He also wears a more heavily modified Chozo suit than Deltaorange to compensate for his reptilian body. While Deltaorange relies on guns and missiles, Riafron believes in attacking with parts of his own body, like his claws.

Riafron is the more humorous side to that of Deltaorange. While Deltaorange is somewhat methodical, Riafron is usually spontaneous enough to counter-balance Delta. Just when Delta starts to get everyone serious, Riafron can crack a joke to break the tension. Known personally by more people than Delta, Ria is capable of being almost anyone’s friend.

Possibly because of his humorous side, Ria is capable of seeing beyond the surface and into the heart of people, and usually knows what they’re really thinking or feeling, and knows if they are lying. This ability is absolutely vital to their business. Delta and Ria are rarely seen apart, and have become intergalatically known for their skill.

Arrow~ One of McFox’s best friends, Arrow is a lanky, dance-loving human with spiky hair and a permanent smile. Known not only for his integrity but also for his dancing skill, Arrow was inducted into the SmashWorld military about a month after McFox had. Skilled with the bow and arrow mostly, Arrow has in necessity used any other forms of weaponry available to him.

Arrow uses Holy type magic, but has only recently begun to expand his skills past healing spells. Gideon had the order issued recently that all those in his service should start to hone their magical skills. Arrow has been on several missions so far, and performed above expectations.

CyberWolf10~ One of McFox’s other best friends, CyberWolf is one of the most loyal people in Gideon’s army. He has become quite skilled in his Shadow magic, arguably the most powerful magic available. CyberWolf was inducted at the same time as Arrow, as they took the test together.

CyberWolf’s household is quite hectic, which may explain his quiet behavior. CyberWolf lives with four or five other people, most of them who enjoy talking. He rarely offers his own opinion, unless it affects one of his friends. And if something comes down to a vote, CyberWolf will weigh in the opinions of others before making his own decision. CyberWolf is officially an Intelligence Gatherer, a job that suits him perfectly.

Gideon~ An Arctic fox, Gideon is the ruler of SmashWorld. Gideon overthrew the evil dictator Neo Dig when he realized it was his destiny to reside over SmashWorld. His friends became the Mods who now protect the various areas of SmashWorld. Gideon is now organizing his army in preparation for a Spammer attack.

The Spammers have begun to organize into camps, and Gideon knows for a fact that they are all taking the orders of “the One,” whoever he is. Gideon did not want this war to pass. He did not attack the Spammers, because he thought that if he simply destroyed this “One,” the Spammers in their confusion would abandon the fight. But first he had to find out who this “One” is.

Ticadrius~ McFox hired Ticadrius to watch over McFox’s when Lily wasn’t able to handle it anymore. With an almost full-time job with the SmashWorld army, McFox needed someone else to help out with the store.

Ticadrius is an expert mechanic, who helped McFox finish not only his car, but also the Merchant 9, his space fighter. Tictac, as his nickname is, is an average sized human. He has light green hair and wears gray overalls, with a shirt of a different color each day. He is a very hard worker, and does exactly what needs to be done.

Venom Dream~ Venom Dream is a Basi, native to the planet Base. He resembles a large snake, and is at least ten feet long. Venom Dream is very dark blue color in color and has black stripes. He can spit poison, his fangs are poison-injecting, even Venom Dream’s blood is acidic.

At the moment he is under arrest, and his trial is taking place shortly. Seven months ago Venom Dream attacked Gideon, McFox, Arrow, and CyberWolf for reasons unknown. He continues to deny these claims, and is being brought to court. It is expected that he shall be in prison for life.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The SmashWorld Saga Timeline

Chapter 1~ The Prosecution of Venom Dream

Court Hearing
“…Did attempt to assassinate our Administrator, Gideon through terror and violence. Four, that the defendant did commit four acts of attempted murder. Five, that the defendant did deny all claims of violence and terror. Six, that the defendant…”

This reading was going to take a while. SmashWorld did not have a death penalty, only prison or banishment. Banishment was only usually reserved for Spammers, when they were caught. I looked around nervously. I’d never been part of a trial before. But they had explained to me, all I had to do was tell exactly what had happened to us. No doubt Venom Dream would be thrown in prison, most likely for the rest of his life.

Arrow was sitting to my left, and CyberWolf beyond him. Gerudo Knight was sitting to my right, which surprised me. What was he doing here?

I looked over at Venom Dream. His head was low, even with his shoulders. His lawyer looked like he knew he had zero chance. There was lots of security around, and Giygas was also present, just to be extra cautious. The security were all armed to the teeth, and I think they had an extra room behind the judge’s table stocked with more weapons. Not only to contain Venom Dream, but Gideon was here, and all courts are open to the public. We had gone through several chains of metal detectors and such before entering, like everyone who came was. And of course everyone wanted to come.

Arrow leaned close to me, “If anyone so much as farts there’s going to be about a thousand guns fired before you can say ‘It wasn’t me!’”

I smiled. Arrow seemed to be enjoying himself at least. I can’t exactly say I was enjoying myself. I was a bundle of nerves, ready to explode at any minute. But then again, you would be too, if you had a son or daughter that was going to be born in one week. Suddenly, the indictment reading was over. The prosecution called its first witness to the stand.

“We call Gerudo Knight to the stand.”

Gerudo Knight stepped up to the little chair and was sworn in. He then sat down.

“Please state your full name and occupation for the record?”

“My name is Gerudo Knight and I run a martial arts dojo in SmashWorld city.”

“Now, please tell the court in your own words what you saw on the night of October 27 of last year.”

October 27
Gerudo drew in a breath. “I had just gotten back from a trip to the planet Hreshna that afternoon. I had gone to my shop to check up on things, and had just decided to leave. I grabbed my sword, which I use to demonstrate to my classes, and my keys. I left, turned around and locked up the door. As I was locking up, Gideon ran right behind me as fast as he could run. It seemed odd, but he looked like he was in a hurry so I didn’t want to bother him. Then Venom Dream ran past, screaming at the top of his lungs. I picked up-“

The prosecutor picked up a hand, silencing Gerudo for a moment. “Pardon my interruption, but could you tell what it was the defendant was shouting?”

“The only thing I could truly discern was ‘the power’. He was yelling that over and over again.”

The prosecutor nodded. “Very well, please continue.”

“So yeah, I picked up my sword and took off after them. I ran down the left side of the sidewalk, about ten or fifteen yards behind Venom Dream. He rounded the corner to the left ahead of me, so I assumed Gideon had gone that way too. He disappeared around the corner, and when I reached it, they were both gone. I continued to run down that street, but I never caught up with them. I didn’t know that had ducked into McFox’s shop until later.”

“Now, did the defendant have anything with him at the time?”

“Only a small brown pouch that was slung over his shoulder.”

“The prosecution has no further questions for this witness.”

Venom Dream’s lawyer stepped forward. “Now, are you absolutely sure that my client was saying ‘the power’?”

Gerudo looked puzzled as he thought. “I’m pretty sure that’s what he was saying, but I could be wrong.”

“No further questions.”

The judge, a Pianta in a black robe, motioned for Gerudo to climb back down.

“We now call McFox Fox to the stand.”

I was nervous, but I walked over to the chair and was sworn in. I sat down, and the prosecution asked my name and occupation.

“My name is McFox Fox and I run a merchant shop in SmashWorld City.

“Now, please tell the court in your own words exactly what happened that night.”

“Well, we had-“

“Excuse me, we?”

“Myself, Arrow, CyberWolf10, Shy Guy, ToadBanjoConker, Matt, Gerudo Knight, Joker of Darkness, Dan the Enlightened, Phillip Chanter, Osco, and Crouching Shiek, Hidden Dragon.”

“Okay, please continue.”

“We had arrived from the Planet Hreshna that afternoon. Shy Guy had been kidnapped, and we had been sent to rescue him. Arrow and CyberWolf were still at my house when Gideon burst through the door, saying he needed our help. Several seconds later, Venom Dream ran in, and tried to attack Gideon. We-“

Suddenly, someone in a police officer’s uniform walked from the back of the building to me and leaned close.

“Sir, phone for you.”

“Can you take a message or something? I’m kind of in the middle of something here.”

“Sir I’m sorry but it’s very urgent.”

I turned to the judge. “Can I take a break? He says there’s an urgent phone call for me.”

“The court will adjourn for five minutes.”

There was a murmur through the crowd as I ran to the back and picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“McFox?”

“Yes?”

“This is Tictac. Man, you need to get over here like now.”

“What is it, what’s the matter?”

“Uh… looks like you’re baby’s going to be born a little early here.”

“What?!”

“Look you need to get down here man!”

“Look uh, call Dr. Mario now! Then take Lily to the hospital, I’ll meet you there!”

“Okay, see you there.”

I called Gideon and the judge to the back of the room. “Sir uh, my wife’s just gone into labor, and she’s going to have a baby, and I really need to leave now.”

“Well, should we adjourn the court for a day?” Asked the judge.

Gideon shook his head. “No, we spent too much time organizing this. We know the trial’s going to extend until tomorrow anyway. McFox can give his testimony then.”

Unbeknownst to us, Venom Dream had let one drop of acid dribble down from his mouth, and onto the chains that bound him. His arms and legs were free. Most of the security was looking back at us, as was the rest of the court, trying to figure out what was going on.

Venom Dream let his body slide down and under the table. He crawled across the floor like a lizard, so low to the ground that no one would see him unless they looked down. He slithered over behind the judge’s table, and quietly spit acid onto the locked door, and made a hole about a foot wide. He slithered inside and…

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Slippery as a Snake…
“Hey! Where’s Venom Dream?!” Someone in the court shouted.

We all looked around. He was gone.

Gideon made several snap decision. “McFox go to the hospital, we’re okay here! CyberWolf and Arrow!” Both of them snapped to attention. “Quickly, try to find out where Venom Dream went!”

They both ran in opposite directions. CyberWolf was looking at Venom seat, and saw a bit of acid on the floor beneath it.

That was all I saw. I tore out of the building and into my car. Just then, I saw a wall simply disappearing. Just like it had been coated in acid, which is obviously had been. Venom Dream stepped out and looked around cautiously, but did not see me. Did not see anyone, because everyone was inside.

I pulled out my cell phone and called the courthouse, even as I drove to the hospital. “Hello?”

“This is McFox Fox, let me speak to Gideon right away!”

Only several seconds passed before I heard “Hello?”

“Gideon! Venom Dream is outside the building! I saw him burn down a wall when I got in my car!”

“Good! Thank you!”

“Gideon! One thing. He had a large gun with him…” Before he hung up, I heard, “Arrow! CyberWolf! Get outside now!”

I sped to the hospital, and arrived before Tictac did. I quickly ran inside, and got a wheelchair for my wife. As soon as I got back outside, I heard the distant rushing of engines. Engines that were working very hard to get their driver to his destination. I thought I knew who was driving that car.

Ticadrius tore into the parking lot and sped into the drop-off emergency area. Lily looked like she was in pain. Well duh, I thought. Of course she’s in pain.

“Oh- Mc- Mc- Ah!”

“It’s okay, it’s okay sweetheart, I’m here!”

Tictac still had the car running. “I’ll meet you inside!”

“Okay! Thank you!”

As soon as I pulled her into the hospital, a nurse took the wheelchair from me and wheeled her behind closed doors. I went into the waiting room to… wait.

New Fic, Same Characters
“Well… this seems to be working out right,” said Devilkoopa earnestly.

The being looked like it wanted to slap him. “You nitwit, it’s all wrong! Venom Dream is not supposed to be being prosecuted now!”

“Well… he’s really not, not anymore.”

The being rolled its eyes, “Yeah, because he escaped. As soon as they catch him again, he’s certain to be in prison for life! And it’s all my fault.”

“Look I, you did what you could. We both have. We just have to let things play out now.”

“Yes yes, I know, no interference. Still, we’ve already interfered beyond comprehension now. We’ve changed everything, just to preserve it.”

“Well, that’s true, but you don’t want to meddle any more now do you?”

The being looked downcast, if that’s possible when you can’t see its face. “I suppose not.”

“All we can do now is wait. Wait and wait and wait and wait until everything falls apart. If that happens we’ve got to intervene and fix things.”

“I suppose…” Said the being. “That’s really truly all we can do until something cataclysmic happens.”

“I just hope this Spammer war doesn’t end up with anyone dead. Anyone who shouldn’t be anyway…”

“Yeah… so do I.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hospital
I was pacing. I knew I was pacing, and I knew I looked like a nervous wreck, but I didn’t care. Ticadrius was calmly reading a magazine and sitting in a chair near the door. I knew Arrow and CyberWolf would be here too, but they were out looking for Venom Dream.

“How can you be so calm?!” I demanded of Tictac. “How?!”

He didn’t even look up from his magazine. “I don’t have a wife who’s having a baby right now.”

Well, I had no answer for that. I continued to pace, to think, trying to get my mind off of the obvious.

Several hours passed, and Ticadrius told me to go get something to eat. He’d come get me if he got any news. I grabbed a lunch, and brought it back to the room. It was a waiting room, but it was no ordinary waiting room. There was a glass window on one wall, showing the newborns of all the other proud fathers.

Soon, my child will be in there too, I thought to myself.

Several more hours passed. I continued to fret and worry, as I hadn’t received any information as to what was going on.

Finally, that night, Doctor Mario himself stepped out of the employee’s only door. He walked up to me, with a sad look in his bright eyes. He looked very grim.

He pulled off the stethoscope he was always wearing, and put it in his pocket. “Mr. Fox…”

“Yes? What is it?!”

He shook his head. “You should probably sit down.”

I was too worried to sit. “What’s the matter?!”

Bad News
“Some… uh… complications arose, as your baby was being born. I will not give you details you don’t understand, but understand that your child is in Intensive Care as we speak. We are doing everything in our power to revive her. Her heart is working and she is breathing, but otherwise we can get no response from her. The fact of the matter is, she could die from lack of brain function within several hours.”

I collapsed into a chair. This was just too much too fast. I had a daughter, but now she could die?

“Can I see her? Or Lily?”

Dr. Mario nodded his head. “Yes, follow me.”

I looked back at Ticadrius. “Go ahead man, I’ll wait here.”

Despite myself, I smiled. “Thanks man.”

I followed Dr. Mario down several hallways, all of which had that depressing hospital smell. Finally, he led me to a room. Lily was sound asleep in a bed, and our daughter was in a small glass box near her, that looked something like a fish tank.

Our daughter, she was so beautiful. She had no fur yet, and her head was proportionately too large for her body. She had just the beginnings of a tail. But she was still beautiful.

I turned to the nurse, who was working attentively with our daughter. I pointed to Lily, “Does she…”

“No, she does not know. She fell asleep soon after giving birth, and hasn’t woken up since.”

I looked at her beautiful face. What would happen if our daughter died? How could I ever tell her?

I looked over at the wall. A green line, that squiggled every time it let out a small “Beep!” was passing across a monitor. As long as that green line keeps squiggling, she’ll be okay...

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Oh great! Just when I start to write a update for my fic, you start a new one and I have to spend an hour and a half reading(that includes the last chapter of 'a merchents tale 1')! But then theres the good news, IM FREE! Yup, no more prisson food for me! Ha!
Anyyyway... keep up the good work.

psychicpuff

Smash Lord
Woohoo! Another Merchant's Tale! I like the story plot. A supposedly new fic and with a new plot with the history of the previous. Futhermore, it could fit in the SmashWorld Timeline! Good!

I'm so excited about this. That all sums my feelings up now.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
A cliffhanger as always... I should have figured.
Personally I like the transition to the first person. Good to see you're changing it... but by the looks of things, you're still gonna switch scenes often. ;)

Good job.
*squirms*KEEP IT UP OR SOMETHING? :shyguy: :beezo:

Had to do it. :D

DarkLink111

Smash Journeyman
TOO ... MUCH ... INFO ... FOR ... ONE ... CHAPTER ... HEAD ... GOING ... TO ... EXPLODE ... AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

*pop*

Awesome start to an awesome fic!!! I like the transition to first-person perspective. I hope McLily(that's what i'm calling the baby for now) doesn't die. Keep up the good work!

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
well, even though I was in it, I didnt read A Mercants Tale, but im going to try to read this one and I hope I can understand it. Anyways its really good so keep it up.

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
I must be seeing things....

Is it just me or do I see a whole bunch of Japanese Kanji in Mcfoxes story? I must be seeing things.... well I read it earlier and so far so good Mcfox! I await more updates in the future! :shyguy: :beezo:

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Very nice start, McFox. I really enjoyed the court scene (maybe because i'm in it ;)) and how there is complications with the baby, adds a good source of drama to the fic. Cant wait to read more!

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
*shrieks* She must survive! You've got me pullin my hair out for a while McFox..........*squirms nervously* Amazing start, you've pulled me right in, the plot is great, all the extra little loose bits on the side of the main story really add to it! Yeeepp...can't wait for your next update!

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Honestly, did anyone not expect McNugget's first chapter of his new fic to end in a cliffhanger? It's become a trademark of the series ;) Nice start so far. I can already tell this will be just as great as AMT... of course, it's basically continuing the story, but from first person perspective. But I really like it so far. But man! What a cliffhanger to start us with! I hope McFox's daughter survives!

And thanks for giving me the first laugh-out-loud line of the new fic:

Arrow leaned close to me, “If anyone so much as farts there’s going to be about a thousand guns fired before you can say ‘It wasn’t me!’”
:chuckle: Update soon :)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Please allow the chapter theme to loop in your player, and play throughout the update

Chapter 2~ Life

Chapter Theme
I stayed by Lily through the rest of the night, leaving only once to tell Ticadrius that he could go home. I told him what was going on, and asked him to just save any messages for me the next day. I would call him if I got any news.

“Are you sure?” He asked earnestly. “I don’t mind staying.”

I smiled. Ticadrius was a good guy. But he wasn’t helping any here. “What are you going to do, hold my hand? I’ll be okay. Lily should probably wake up soon.”

He shook my hand, and gave a sad smile. “I sure hope this turns out okay.”

Yeah, I thought as he walked away. So do I.

I went back into the room, my heart filled with grief. We had both wanted a child, since the day we were married. Lately I haven’t even had much time to spend with Lily as she went through this, because of my job. I don’t know if she feels this way, but I feel like I’ve abandoned her to this. I feel like I’ve left her alone.

Well, no more. I would always stand by my family first, and anything and everything else would come second. These two, one living, one clinging to life, were the most important parts of my life now. They were so dear to me, Lily had been for the longest time. And now, this newborn, who didn’t even have a name yet, had touched my life in a way that no other person could. My child’s life was in the hands of fate. I only hoped fate would have mercy on me.

I sat down in a chair between Lily and my daughter. The nurse, seeing I wanted to be alone, told me to call if I saw any change in the instrumentation on my left. I nodded glumly, absently agreeing to this job. Now, her life was in my hands. The nurse quickly left the room.

I rested my elbows upon my knees, and put my hands against my forehead, letting my head hang low. I felt so powerless. I could do nothing to help this baby, except press a button. Press a button. I wished I could take her place. I wished that my daughter could have a chance at life, even if it meant losing my own. But I didn’t have that chance. There was absolutely nothing I could do for her except hope.

I looked into her little glass tube, with a tear in my eye. She was so beautiful. Beautiful as… as a crystal. A jewel, like she had some beautiful light shining from within her. A crystal.

Crystal… I thought sadly. If she made it through this alive, she would be named Crystal.

I sat back down, and a single tear fell from my eye. I reached over, and grabbed my sleeping wife’s hand. She stirred, and opened her eyes halfway.

Upon seeing my face, she smiled. Her eyes were half-closed, she didn’t know I was crying.

“Hi hon’…” She said weakly. She was still tired.

“…H-hi.” I gasped. There was no way I could tell Lily now. She thought our daughter was safe. She thought she was a happy mother. Who was I to ruin possibly her only chance to be a blissful and proud mother?

“Dear…” I said at length. “You should go back to sleep. You look tired. I’ve got her here with me.”

The faintest ticklings of a smile reached her face. “Do I look that bad?”

It was the hardest thing I’ve ever been asked to do. I could barely speak without sobbing, as I was quickly finding out. But I could not let my guard down. I want Lily to be happy, at least for now.

“…Not bad… just tired. Go back to sleep, and dream happily.”

She closed her eyes, and was soon breathing deeply. Another sob escaped my mouth, but at least she hadn’t heard it. No matter what I was feeling now, I wouldn’t ruin this moment for Lily, even if she was sleeping.

I looked back at the monitors, making sure all was well. Nothing had changed, which did not exactly fill me with hope.

I stayed awake all through the night. I was so tired I was sure I looked dead. But I feared the dreams I knew would come. And I feared something would happen while I was asleep. I couldn’t fall asleep. I stood up and yawned. I took off my jacket and laid it across the back of the chair. I continued to stand, knowing if I sat I would fall asleep.

At about five in the morning, I heard a soft knock on the door. I didn’t say anything, but it opened anyway. Arrow and CyberWolf walked in.

“Hey man,” Arrow said quietly.

I could say nothing. I knew if I began to speak there would be no holding back the tears.

“Don’t worry, we don’t want to bother you. We came to relieve you. Gideon said we should come. We’re going to watch the monitors and let you rest.”

“No… I can’t… gotta watch the…” I lost my train of thought. What was I talking about?

“Go ahead, we’re here,” CyberWolf said comfortingly. I appreciated their friendship.

“What… about Venom Dream?”

“Don’t worry, we’re not the only agents in SmashWorld. Now get some sleep.”

I sat back in the chair I had been sitting in for the last twelve hours. “Sleep…” Slowly, slowly, with my friend’s faces filling my field of vision, my eyes closed, and began to sleep.

~~~

“McFox! McFox! Get up! Oh man McFox wake up!!!”

I snapped awake. Arrow had been tapping me.

“What? What is it? What’s the matter?

My vision was hazy, but I was awake and alert, and something was going on!

“What’s happening?!” I shouted wildly. Doctors and nurses were crowding around the small tank where my daughter was laying.

Dr. Mario turned to me. There was a tear in his eyes. He placed one hand over his heart, and another on my shoulder.

“McFox, this is not easy for me to say… We’ve done everything we could. But it’s too late. Your… your daughter will die…”

My head reeled. What? I couldn’t have heard him correctly.

“…Wha-wh-…what?”

He only lowered his head and shook it. I knew in my heart that he was right. But the news hadn’t really sunken in yet. My daughter, dead? No, it wasn’t possible…

I turned to Lily, who was sitting up in her bed, crying. I ran to her, sitting beside her and hugging her. Soon, she turned to me, and we sat there, hugging, as the doctors and nurses filed out of the room, one by one. Arrow and CyberWolf left too.

I finally turned to look. There was a blanket covering the tank, hiding Crystal from us.

No, this was wrong. Our daughter was supposed to be beautiful and whole and healthy, just like the doctor said. She couldn’t have…

And that’s when it really sunk in. When I saw the blanket covering her, I knew that she was not coming back. Our daughter was gone forever.

I turned once again to my wife, who suddenly looked very weary. She leaned forward, and rested her head against my chest. I pulled her close, and we both just sat, crying, for several more minutes.

We pulled away. I looked at her, only to see someone else in her place.

A being in a blue robe. Navy blue, light blue, and a shocking variety of the color. The only part of the creature’s body that was visible were its eyes, a bright yellow.

When it saw that I had seen it, its eyes dimmed, and then began to glow red, reflecting what I felt inside. I was confused.

“Wha-…where?”

McFox Fox,” it said in a voice that seemed to fill the room but was only a whisper at the same time. “I come to you not as a friend, not as an enemy.

“Wha’?”

Do not speak, for my time is short. Your child is dying. I can save it. I have the magical powers available. No normal magic of your people is powerful enough. But I can save your daughter.

My head was spinning wildly out of control. Save my daughter?

There is only one problem. You must perform a favor for me. What is it? I will not tell you now. It will be revealed to you at the proper time. All I ask is that, do you trust me enough to accept the offer of which you do not know what it will cost you?

“Yes!” I choked.

The thing’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “You say yes, and yet you have no idea what I am going to ask of you. I suppose love is the most powerful magic of all. Well, we shall see if you change your mind when the time comes.

And then, it was gone.

All of it.

~~~

“McFox! McFox! Get up! Oh man McFox wake up!!!”

I snapped awake. Arrow had been tapping me.

“What? What is it? What’s the matter?

I jumped to my feet. Another dream? I pressed lightly on my face, making sure I was awake. “What’s happening?!” I shouted wildly. Doctors and nurses were crowding around the bed where Lily was!

Dr. Mario turned to me, with a sad sort of smile on his weathered face. “McFox, I can honestly tell you I don’t know what’s happening. One minute, your daughter was clinging to life. Frankly, we expected her to die within two hours. But when I sent a nurse to check on her, she was completely fine! No injuries or viruses whatsoever. It’s a miracle if I ever saw one.”

I pushed aside the doctors and nurses that blocked my view. In my wife’s arms, my daughter was happily wiggling around, raising her arms at the people. And when she looked at me…

…when she looked at me, she smiled. She had no teeth, but it was possibly the most beautiful smile I’d ever seen. And my wife smiled, and I smiled and laughed, with a tear in my eye. My daughter was alive. I didn’t even stop to think about the promise I’d made. I wanted to enjoy this moment to the fullest.

I picked up Crystal and turned to my wife. “I thought of a name. It’s-”

“-You know,” said Lily, interrupting me. “When I looked at her, she was beautiful. As beautiful as a diamond, or a ruby… or a crystal.”

“Yeah… a crystal.” We said together. “Crystal.”

I looked down at the child in my arms. She smiled happily up at me, and then sneezed. All the doctors and nurses laughed giddily, relieved that this dark day had passed over us.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Almost!!

Dude......you almost got me teary-eyed......wow, that was a beautiful chapter. I'm sure the task McFox has to do is going to be something against Smash World, what a double-edged-sword...

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yay! *dances about happily* She lives, she lives! I think I could have almost cried there ^_^ Yee....but what does this figure want? Guess we'll hafta wait for laters....Can't wait for the next update! ^_^

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Holy rigatoni! I just about had a heart attack in the middle of that chapter! But then the mysterious guy intervenes... and you know, I think I already know what he's going to ask McFox to do. I won't say anything though. Awesome chapter though. The music fit the mood perfectly, and your descriptions... they were almost tear-jerkingly good. At least such an emotional chapter didn't end in a cliffhanger ;) Or else I would have had to sue McFox "Nine" Fox Inc. for destroying my brain :crazy: Keep up the great job, and update soon :)

psychicpuff

Smash Lord
Woohoo... Someone's alive... at an unknown cost. I expect something interesting to spout from this. And yay, like Arrow said, no cliffhangers.

No... I missed being the first to reply...

rudy292

Not bball2012
BRoomer
Mcfox, I read through a Merchant's Tale this past week, and I must say, it is incredible. Now I have read these first two chapters and I am hooked. I will now be a regular reader. Great job, Mcfox. You truly are a great writer.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Quote me! Quote me!

Great new story. I said that though... right?
Well I really think this qualifies as a cliffhanger, we have no idea what's going to happen to our hero. Though I have a couple ideas, I just won't say them.
You've hooked me again. Now it's twice as good as before. ;)

CheckboardChaser

Smash Ace
Course there's a cliffhanger, just a hidden one.
The last chapter that emotional I've read was the cremation of Mac Fox. It's really very well written and very well done.
Besides this chapter, I think Venom Dream is becoming an evil guy very soon.
What I don't understand though...
Shy guy's SFTS fics are amazing but how do they connect to the rest of the timeline? In Shy's fics you guys don't even know eachother when you meet eachother and both of the fics happened in just 6 months? Well, guess we will all find out eventually :chuckle:.

Canis lupus

Fab Dandy
BRoomer
Hmm... if suggestion's what you seek, then I'll take the liberties to comment on a few things.

Perhaps try to avoid packing in too many high-calorie words. By this, I mean "hands of faith," "clinging to life," "heart filled with grief" and other such words that have fairly large meanings. They're dulled by common usage - and rather too vague to rouse the emotion.

(Don't worry, though. I'm often prone to the same mistake ;).)

Also, sorry to give cliched advise, but I'd apply the "show, don't tell" rule here. For example, the narrator talks of being grief-struck, and hoping that Crystal can have another chance, and hoping that [he] can mend the situation. How can this be shown without smacking the reader in the face with straight proclamations?

Well... that's something particularly troublesome with the first-person point of view, and frankly, I haven't quite mastered that myself. Perhaps you can describe the surroundings to paint a mental picture - the white curtains fluttering over the open windows, the austere wooden furniture of the hospital, the scent of morphine, the bluish-pale lights against the metal bed frames, etc, etc.

Otherwise, congrats on surpassing a vast major of the other writers here. It seems you have amassed quite a vast readership ;).

Ticadrius

Grammar Hammer
BRoomer
I almost broke down, man! Supremely written, dude. And thanks for putting me in it, too. This mysterious figure is.....mysterious. I can't wait to see how the plot shall unfold! Keep it up!

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
This is really good stuff. My friend read A Merchants Tale and told me to read it but its a little long for me to do in one sitting so it might take awhile. anyways, Keep up the good work and update soon.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Chapter 3~ Relaxing at the Hospital

Journal
The date is July 10th. I am a father as of yesterday at exactly 6:05 pm. It is impossible to describe the emotions I feel. I feel like I can do anything. I am a proud father of a beautiful girl, Crystal. Crystal Zelda Fox (It’s sort of an inside joke, ZeldaFox is one of Arrow’s co-workers at the office. Technically she’s my co-worker too, but I don’t work on the same floor as them. Still, Lily and I didn’t have any ideas about a middle name, and it seemed fitting.) was born with a disablement that would have caused her to die. But through a strange meeting with a person in dark cloak in a dream, I bargained for my daughter’s life.

I told this person I would do what they asked me to when the time came. When he had asked, I was too wrapped up in worry for my daughter to even consider saying no. But now, I fear what may be asked of me. But I will have to do it. If this person has the power to revive my daughter, he certainly has the power to take her life away again. But, I feel that whatever happens, it was worth it.

My parents and Lily’s were allowed to come over this morning and see the baby. They walked in, without much more than a “How do you do?” to me. Mainly they were concerned with holding their granddaughter. Not that I could blame them. When they left, we officially registered Crystal as a citizen of SmashWorld Forums. We used a hospital computer to send in all of the necessary information.

Name: Crystal Zelda Fox

I thought for a moment about her password. Then the obvious came to me. Of course, she’d probably never understand it, but I was making this, wasn’t I?

Password: macfox

Confirm Password: macfox

I entered my own email on her behalf. She could change it when she was old enough to use it.

Birthdate: July 9

We also picked out an avatar for her.

The profile is complete now. I’ll send it to Gideon, who will have it approved and accepted. Until then, there isn’t much for me to do but wait.

Wheel of Misfortune
“And now it’s time to play, Wheel! Of! Misfortune!!!

I was watching TV in the new room. We had been moved, seeing as how nothing was wrong with Crystal anymore. All we were really doing was waiting for Lily to be completely recovered. Until then, I was watching a TV show called “Wheel of Misfortune.” Actually, ToadBanjo Conker hosted it. It was basically a comedy show, but they got people who had never seen the show to go on, so they didn’t know what to expect.

Toad-B was introducing the contestants. “This is Shy Guy, Azua, and Osco. Contestants are there any questions?”

Shy Guy raised his hand like he was in school. “Yeah, what are the rul-“

Toad-B interrupted him, “Good! We’ll get right down to the first question! Get ready!”

The contestants put their hands over their buzzer.

“What was my first word?”

Osco’s face scrunched up, “Your first-“

Toad-B pointed, “Hah! Talking out of turn subtracts 500 points!”

-500 appeared on Osco’s podium. “But that’s not fai-“

“Minus another 500 points!”

-1000 “But!-“

“Minus 500 points!”

-1500 “But I-“

“We can do this all day if you want to!”

Osco finally quit, disgruntled. He now had a score of -2000.

A buzzer sounded. “Time’s up!” Toad-b cried. “The answer was, of course, ‘lemonade.’ Next question!”

“Your first word was lemonade?! Me too!!!” Azua shrieked as she bounced up and down happily. Then she stopped. “Or… maybe it was mustard. Or pickles! Or PIE!”

“Quiet! You lose 2000 points!”

“But!” Azua looked as though she might cry. “Osco only lost 500 points for talking!”

“Yes, but we have to make your score match his if you do something wrong! Shy Guy! Your score is now –2000 as well!”

“What?! Why?!”

“Symmetry! Okay next question! Who is the president of SmashWorld Forums?”

Shy Guy buzzed in. “Gideon!”

“Wrong! Minus 200 points!”

“What?!”

“Time’s up! We don’t have a president! Gideon’s an ‘Administrator!’ Next question! Why is this show called ‘Wheel of Misfortune’ when we don’t have a wheel?!”

The contestants stayed silent.

“Time’s up! It’s because we don’t want one! Azua and Osco both lose 300 points! Shy Guy loses 100 points!”

“But!”

“Shy Guy loses another 1000 points! Next question!” Toad-B took a moment to compose himself and clear his throat. “How many Spammers reside in SmashWorld?”

Buzz! “500!”

“Wrong!”

Buzz! “600!”

“Wrong!”

Buzz! “…none!”

“Wrong! You all lose 600 points! The answer was of course, ‘none’! Next question!”

“But I said ‘none!’” Azua protested crossly.

“What time is it?”

Buzz! “10:30!”

“Wrong!”

Buzz! “…10:31?!”

“Wrong!”

Buzz! “Uh… 10:29?”

“Wrong! The answer was ‘10:30 and a half’! You all lose 1000 points!” A strange chime filled the air. “Super bonus round time!”

The audience broke into a cheer, while Shy Guy and Osco only looked confused. “What is super bonus round time?”

“Super bonus round time! Super! Bonus! Round! Time! What time is it?! Super bonus round time!” Azua sang happily.

“What do we have to do?” Asked Shy Guy.

“First, you must lose 900 points for talking! And then you have to come over here to this wheel-“

“Hey, you said you didn’t have a wheel!”

“And then you will lose another 900 points for talking again! And then you will come over to the wheel and spin it! In each slot is a task. If you can complete the task in 10 seconds, you get 1 point!”

“1 point?! We’ll have negative points when this game is over!”

“You already have negative points.” Toad-B pointed out. “But now you have 900 more negative points!”

“Aw man!”

“900 more! Now, come over here and spin the wheel!”

Shy Guy trudged to the wheel and gave it a weak spin. It stopped, Toad-B studied it for a moment, and then he led Shy Guy to the center of the stage. “Now, here’s what you must do. First, you have to teach this dog to speak Spanish.”

A stage hand brought out a small dog. “Then you must spin around on your head 20 times. And finally, you must run back to your house and back here.”

“And I only have 10 seconds to do this?!” He asked shrilly.

“No…”

“Oh phew,” said Shy Guy relieved.

“You have 500 less points and 10 seconds to do this! Bwa ha ha!”

“But!”

“GO!”

Shy Guy completely ignored the dog, and started to spin around on his head. He had two seconds left when he completed the 20th rotation. He looked at the dog, who only looked back. Finally, the count was over.

“Shy Guy! For completing one of the tasks, you receive a third of the points!”

Shy Guy’s score was now -9000 and a third. He looked as though he might summon some kind of fiery monster to just envelope Toad-B in flames.

“Azua! You’re up!”

“Yay!”

“Random exclamations result in a loss of 500 points! Spin the wheel!”

Azua spun the wheel with her psychic powers, causing it to go very fast. “Hey! It’s just like a merry-go-round!” She yelled. She sat on it and spun with it.

Toad-b pulled out a notepad. “Another 500 for the ‘Hey,’ and 1000 for the merry-go-round… Oh! Okay, let’s see what we’ve got here!”

He led her to the middle of the stage, where she was bouncing up and down happily.

“Okay, you must turn into a cat, lift an elephant over your head, and recite all the dialogue used in Super Mario Sunshine! Ready? GO!”

POOF! Instantly, Azua was a white tabby cat. She meowed once, and then using her psychic powers lifted the provided elephant above her head. And then… a loud, high-pitched and constant noise filled the room.

Toad-B pulled his hands from his ears. “Was that all of the dialogue of…”

Super Mario Sunshine! Yep! That was all of it!”

Toad-b looked amazed. “Well, she did it! Give her a point!”

Azua now had –5899 points.

“Osco, you’re up!”

Osco ran over and gave the wheel a spin. “By the way,” said Toad-B as the wheel was spinning, “You lose another 300 points for spinning the wheel before I told you to! Ha ha!”

Osco looked as though he would protest, but he knew that would only result in his losing more points. The wheel came to a stop, and Toad-B led Osco to the center of the stage.

“For your task, you must eat 600 meatballs in only five seconds!”

A large tub, filled with meatballs was carried out.

“Ready?! GO!”

Osco, using his Dreamlandian body, sucked up every single meatball in the tub in the allotted time. He looked like a vacuum cleaner.

“Sorry!” Toad-B shouted. “You lose!”

“What?! But I ate all of the meatballs!”

“That’s right! But there were 601 meatballs in there, and you were only supposed to eat 600! You lose 3000 points!” Osco now had –7200 points. “Time for a commercial! We’ll be right back!”

I clicked off the TV, filled with some much-needed enjoyment. That really was hilarious. Only, they might have trouble in the future pulling in people to be contestants, as everyone would be watching this soon.

In a way, I didn’t want this hospital trip to be over. I mean, the incredible feeling I had then was sure not to last when I left. However, one close call in the place was enough for me. I rather wanted to leave, and truly start my new life as a father.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I have to go back to work soon. Ugh. And there’s still Venom Dream to contend with.

And then I had a scary thought. What if Venom Dream came after me? He must have known it was too dangerous to go after Gideon. Arrow, CyberWolf, Gerudo Knight, and I were candidates for revenge. In fact… he could be in the hospital right now, although it was unlikely.

Still, I looked around nervously. It was probably foolish of me, but now that I had thought it, the idea would not leave my mind. He could be watching me now.

I sat down near the bed. Both Lily and Crystal were sleeping. Well, I would guard them with my life if I had to.

Venom Dream’s Dilemma
Venom Dream picked up the biggest gun he could carry. It was pure blind luck that he stumbled onto that arsenal. Still, best not to fire unless absolutely necessary. The noise could attract unwanted eyes.

He burned out the back wall of that room, and, seeing no one in the parking lot, headed into the small patch of trees behind the court house. But instead of heading into the forest like they expected him to do, he clutched the gun in his mouth, and climbed up into the highest branches of the first tree. The thin branches probably wouldn’t have supported his weight, but he had his body wound around the base of the tree. And, just as he had anticipated, Arrow and CyberWolf headed into the forest beneath his feet.

Venom Dream lowered himself ever so carefully down the tree, and reached the ground, with his body stretched out like a chameleon. He crawled quickly but quietly over the ground, not making a sound, not leaving a trace of his passing. He needed somewhere to hide, somewhere to stay until he could access McFox’s warp pipe and return to Base.

Venom Dream had no recollection of attacking Gideon or the others. It was obvious he had, but no one could figure out why. Still, he refused to be captured and imprisoned like an animal.

With the gun clutched in his teeth, he pressed onward, deeper into the forest. Suddenly, he heard voices ahead. It was Arrow and CyberWolf.

“What do you make of it?”

“I don’t know. We’ve been searching for over two hours, and still nothing.”

“Think we should report back?”

“No, not yet. We’ve still got about an hour of daylight before night closes in. Might as well keep searching until darkness falls.”

“Good idea. Then they’ll probably bring out the Tektites.”

Venom Dream shuddered. He didn’t want to be in this forest when the Tektites were brought out. Red Tektites had an amazing sense of smell, and blue Tektites had night vision. They would be sure to find him if he were still there at the time.

Venom Dream waited until CyberWolf and Arrow split up to continue their search. He considered attacking each of them. But one of them would get away, or send out a distress call, and then they’d be sure he was in the forest. For now they didn’t know, they only assumed. Once they had 100% proof that he were there, they’d bring in the Tektites and locate him immediately.

Venom Dream headed for the city. Maybe he could contact one of his… shadier friends here in SmashWorld, and they could provide him with a safe haven until the path to Base was open.

Then again, taking a private warp pipe could be extremely dangerous, especially one in McFox’s home. He was a SmashWorld agent now too.

Well, he didn’t have to make his decision now. All he had to do was contact Evil Pichu…

~~~
~~~
~~~

I would like to thank Kirby King for uploading the first midi of this chapter for me, thanks :D.

zelda85

Smash Ace
Wow ,"A Merchant's Tale 2 " is starting even better than the first one....Crystal's birth really left me without breathing ...woah...:crazy:

And the "Wheel of Misfortune" part...lol ,it reminds me of an old crazy show on ,here in Italy ,in the '70....heheee....

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
zelda85 secretly said:
....hehe....IM AN INSIDE JOKE?! Ha! I think this fic is a joke, you... um... SUCK!...yA!... hehe..... :mad:
;) LOL. Anyyyway... great stuff's Mcfox, keep up the good work, and that WoM part was laugh out loud funny! From suspence, to comidey, to ME!, what more could someone want from a fic?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
No no, not zelda85 is the coworker, it was ZeldaFox38 (i think), who used to be a member a long time ago. She doesn't come anymore, but she's part of the fics nontheless.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I knew that, I realized when I read it, but then when I went to post I forgot, because I had thought of such a great joke...

bunjiman008

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whew! You write so much so fast! Can I say that this story is already showing signs of greatness, not that anyone else hasn't already told you.

Well, now that driver's ed *:mad: * is over, I can finally get some writing done. Maybe I could even do my biology project:crazy: .

Oi've!

Ticadrius

Grammar Hammer
BRoomer
Originally posted by McFox
“Your first word was lemonade?! Me too!!!” Azua shrieked as she bounced up and down happily. Then she stopped. “Or… maybe it was mustard. Or pickles! Or PIE!”

“Super bonus round time! Super! Bonus! Round! Time! What time is it?! Super bonus round time!” Azua sang happily.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Dude, I busted a lung laughing at that scene! This fic is simply fantastic....and the part with VD was very tight.....I can just see it all so vividly. Well done.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
*Diez laughing*

Heh, I was laughing thourgh pretty much that entire Wheel of Misfortune part, but I think the funniest section of all was this:

“First, you must lose 900 points for talking! And then you have to come over here to this wheel-“

“Hey, you said you didn’t have a wheel!”

“And then you will lose another 900 points for talking again!
That was so funny. That and visualizing Azua spinning around on the wheel ;) Update soon McNugget!

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Another wonderful update! ^_^ The wheel of misfortune was hilarious! And Venom Dream...ooh....gone bad?
Ah...that's only so much I can say each time ^_^' Always a wonderful read ^_^ Keep up the mind blowing work!

psychicpuff

Smash Lord
The most sadistic game show that I have ever read about, though funny. Good content and I'm still amazed that you could churn out content at this speed.

CheckboardChaser

Smash Ace
Yep, looks like Venom Dream is becoming more and more evil.
The wheel of misfortune was pretty good, the rules would be 'shut up and do what they ask you to do'. Sounds like school...
Anyway, keep up the good writing McFox. Every chapter is better then the previous one. Keep 'em coming ;).

Hawaiianbum007

Smash Apprentice
That was some good stuff there. That wheel of misfourten game was a good touch after all the bad stuff kind of happened and then was undone. keep uo the good work.

Team_Xtreme_666

Smash Journeyman
.............. Wow, very good McFox! Nice and descriptive as always, and stuff. The Crystal part, had my heart pounding, the Wheel of Misfortune, heh, reminds me of Nintendo Jeapardy, kinda, I bet Shy Guy would want to do that to his contestants.

When I was listening to my own MIDIs while reading the fic, and that one moment the being came, and bargained for Crystals life, the music was just right. Ah, ProtoMan, you never cease....... yeah, so continue! Until then I await patiently, while playing MMZ.

Link777

Smash Ace
So far, I'm likin' the original just a tad bit more than this. I'll have you know though, this is above all standards set by the other writers here.

The only thing that I dissaprove of this is the first person POV. With limited omnicient, atleast you get to see whats going on around the main character, even the stuff he/she doesn't see.
The part with Venom Dream using acid to escape from his chains could not be written in McFox' point of view. This hurts to say but, that was weak. I know there's nothing I can do to change it, but the first person thing is not as good as limited omnicient.

Since the merger with Creative Minds, there have been tonnes of pointless crud clouding up the lone place at SmashBoards I visit anymore. Many good fics have fallen, mine for example, but yours stands true. Hold it well.

Top Bottom