• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide A Link Between Duels : SSB4 Zelda Matchup Thread: [Upd2] Diddy Kong

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
I'm not that knowledgable on this matchup since I haven't fought many, if any good Sheiks since the game's release. Any Sheik that goes for something unsafe can be punished, and Nairo being Nairo made that clear. Zelda can be easily juggled and Sheik is great at that, so of course that can be a problem. Sheik can have problems killing, so us staying in rage works out pretty well. Sticking to the few safe moves Zelda has without horrid end lag seem to be especially important here. Because I'm inexperienced with this matchup I won't give an estimate on the win/lose ratio, but it's more than likely in Sheik's favor. All I can say is that I'd rather fight Sheik than Yoshi.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Really, the biggest threat when fighting Sheik as any character is getting flustered by her attack speed
and multi-hit combos, which in turn lead to you making dumb moves that get you hit by things like Usmash or Vanish.

Though, it's because of her safety that I would think Squall would have more use in the matchup through breaking
Sheik's strings and making Zelda even harder to gimp. Early Wind kills are nice, but you're only really going to land
them if you sidestep bouncing fish and she lands near, or shielding smashes from a desperate player.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Just as something worth noting Nairo pulled out his Zelda later against Nientono in the grand finals of that tournament. It went how it should have gone the first time, Nientono knew the matchup and Nairo got rocked
He didn't really get rocked, :p but I agree that Nairo didn't get as much on Nietono. It went more like the MU usually would, I think. Also, who's to say Nairo wouldn't of won if he hadn't missed the recovery in that battle? (iirc he lost that battle in GF when he missed a ledge while they were both on their last stocks.)

Edit : Basically, I think if Nairo felt comfortable going Zelda against one of the best sheiks out there, (Even after Nietono started doing better.) then maybe...? :3

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Imo the match ups not that bad. It's really managable.
I guess, on a personal level, I really hate these characters that have no lag on their moves. I hate that they can throw out attacks whenever they like and not worry about getting punished for it. It gives these characters as much defense as it does offense because it's so difficult to deal with constant hitboxes in your face that act like a wall against whatever you can do against them. Retaliating requires perfect timing or else you get combo'd forever. As I play this game more and more, I start to hate characters like Sheik, Yoshi, Pikachu, etc. more and more as well because MU experience means knowing that I can't punish things which gets demoralizing after a while especially because those are the majority of characters I face due to their popularity. It's not even fun.

Seki_

Smash Cadet
NNID
RCX420
That basically sums up this game. No matter how good you are at a character, you're gonna get beat by a top tier. You have people like Average Joe (an amazing DK), Nairo whose only high tier char is ZSS who he doesn't like to pull out in tournament much, MVD's Duck Hunt is insanely good, etc., etc. But every major tournament you see the same few characters in top 8. ZSS, Sheik, Diddy, Sonic, -maybe- Yoshi but there's not many really good Yoshis, and Mario/Luigi are really the only characters who are worth playing if you want to win. I heard a story on Nakat's community podcast thing he hosted about some Little Mac player who was insane for a Mac, finished top 4 consistently but never took a tournament. Switches to Diddy and wins his first tournament. It's sad and I hope that the "Tweaked Character Balancing" Nintendo promised us really changes the metagame for the better.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
on the topic of metagame, at least there are 8 characters in top eight rather than 6 MK, a Diddy, and a player known for snake but carriers a pocket MK. Balance might not be great by its nice not to see only one character in top 8.

did anyone invite the Sheiks over btw? Short discussions are short.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I have trouble with heavy characters while rushdowns give me no problem whatsoever. Maybe I just play my Zelda different than everyone lol. People say that I have an agressive zelda. I never camp ever either.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
on the topic of metagame, at least there are 8 characters in top eight rather than 6 MK, a Diddy, and a player known for snake but carriers a pocket MK. Balance might not be great by its nice not to see only one character in top 8.

did anyone invite the Sheiks over btw? Short discussions are short.
I DID, but they just didn't seem to come over at. All. Smh, maybe I'll go glance over there and see what's up, because you'd expect that such a relevant MU might get some good discussion.

|ven|

ᵔᴥᵔ かわいい ᵔᴥᵔ
NNID
Hyuven
Will do let me just put everything together so I don't sound stupid.

|ven|

ᵔᴥᵔ かわいい ᵔᴥᵔ
NNID
Hyuven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeWFQE5FyY8

Like shown in the video, Imo, and shown how Nairo plays, fighting sheik requires you to move a lot. Staying still is a bad option in my opinion. It's best to be on top of Sheik that way you cover more of his options and doesn't allow him to charge his needles.

Majority of the sheiks I've fought approach a different way then Nientono though. Most jump in with a Fair so based on what kind of sheik you play, I use my nair to approach since it has the priority. I wouldn't roll a lot against them since they can severely punish it, but just like them, I would always approach with my nair and if they stayed still while I approach nair, I would use nyarus love as a safety. You can use nair approach to bait them in and do other shenanigans if you are willing. That being said, avoid leaving yourself open when using nyarus love since it's difficult to get out of sheiks combos, only use it when theres a 50/50 chance of hitting/poking. I don't recommend dash attacking, if you can approach with a grab and quickly adjust to that I would. Being said, take advantage of all grabs and do all the damage you can. The grab combo I like to use is d-grab to nair and read the landing and repeat if you can. Keep in mind that sheik players are thrown very far off the side of the stage, they will use bouncing fish to recover. If you can and I RECOMMEND YOU DO, play around with sheiks bouncing fish and kind of memorize the distance it will go. What I did is see how far it went, then put myself in the situation and see how far I have to be from it to not get hit so I can properly punish it. If you decided to punish it, use spike (* O*). There is a small frame at the end of bouncing fish that leaves shiek open so take advantage of that any chance you get \o/.

Idk what else to say. I think you have to play enough sheiks or watch enough videos to understand how they fully work. Everything is just technical things that you have to work around. I hope this was helpful ;o;

Last edited:

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
I picked up Sheik last December and have gotten fairly good with him her, so I'll try my best to describe how I feel and why.(Pardon if certain things I describe are obvious, I like to try and cover all my bases.) However I am not the best, so some info could be wrong. I'll try and keep things to what I've experienced.

Keep in mind that Zelda is my main, so I am trying my hardest to take Zelda's options into consideration. Also, apologies for it being so long. I just wanted to make sure that I covered everything I found important.
NEUTRAL GAME - Sheik is best when she's right in her opponents face.
Let's start off with approaching. Zelda cannot use Din's when Sheik is on the stage; it is too easy for Sheik to just roll past it, rush up, and grab you before the moves ending lag is over. The only time I could see this ever being safe is if shes a significant distance from you or off stage. Even still, it's practically useless to camp and launch fireballs at Sheik while she's on the other side of the stage. She'll either camping to charge her needles(which she can instantly shield or roll out of) or she's on her way to get you and she just rolls past it.
Phantom is unsafe, but then again, it usually tends to be. She can hop over it or roll past it. But chances are, it will just whiff because Sheik will be where you will mostily find her; right up next to her opponent. Best option I believe is to wait until she arrives cringes.

A lot of Sheik players will approach with a FAir, however it is dangerous for Zelda to just throw up her shield out of reaction whenever Sheik's close and in the air.Tomahawking is another option Sheik players will use if their FAir's begin to be met with Zelda's shield; they simply short hop and fast fall again, baiting the shield and allowing them to rush forward for the grab(more on her grabs later)

Another way they can approach is with a tech dubbed "Wave Needle", and this video does a better job at explaining it then I could.

On to when Sheik is in comboing range.
At low percentages, her FTilts combos into itself and her other tilts, so be ready to watch yourself be pummeled quite a bit before you can do anything. FTilt also combos into FAir.
Her DTilt can also combo into her FAir and UAir, but due to the lack of range I never usually spam it.
Overall, her FTilt is probablly the safest due to the lack of lag. Best way out of these would be to spam Farore's grab oos, or Nayru's.

Her grabs are dangerous from low to high(i'll explain why they aren't dangerous at really high percentage later), due to how many options Sheik can go with after tossing you. This is how a Sheik player can build up a lot of damage.
FThrow can combo into a couple of moves. At extremely low percent, her FThrow can actually combo into her Bouncing Fish(BF). Most of the time though, she'll combo into her FAir.
If a Sheik begins to notice you DI'ing away from her when she uses her FThrow, chances are she'll begin to utilize her DThrow more. This move not only makes it even tougher for players to DI away before she can land a FAir, but it also sets up for her UAir.

Now compared to Sheik's, Zelda's throws(especially BThrow) can kill at reasonable to high percentages. Sheik's can't kill even at 200%, and eventually her throws will launch you past comboing distance. This can cause someone at high percentage to simply shield when Sheik approaches; if they attack, the you block and punish. If she grabs, they know it won't kill and it won't lead to any attacks after that.

AIR GAME - Sheik is devastating in the air. Her FAir can combo into another FAir, allowing us to carry opponents off the stage with relative ease. Sometimes, at low percentages I'm actually able to get in four FAir's is the character is heavy enough.
If a Sheik begins to notice you DI'ing away from her when she uses her FThrow, chances are she'll begin to utilize her DThrow more. This move not only makes it even tougher for players to DI away before she can land a FAir, but it also sets up for her UAir, which is pretty heavy hitting and can actually kill at higher percentages.

I haven't been able to play against a whole lot of Zelda's, but I would still guess that spam Farore's Nayru's and airdodging would be the best way out of these kinds of situations. Be warned that you tend to still be in striking distance for a BAir after an air-dodge. If Zelda dodges too often, Sheik could easily bait her.

OFF-STAGE/LEDGE GUARDING - This is where Sheik players can work a lot of magic, although it does depend on the stage. A Sheik player is most at home when the stage has walls that extend beneathe itself all the way to below offscreen. This is because Sheik can go ridiculously deep to gimp and not worry about SD'ing. I mean RIDICULOUSLY deep. Not only does she have her air jump and recovery, but she also has her wall-cling(which allows you to jump off the spot your clinging to) and she has a wall jump. Plus her Bouncing Fish allows her to rebound off of stages, allowing her to get even higher. That's right. Counting the recovery she has five jumps. FIVE. I have practically fallen to the point where I am in the hour glass, gimped, and recovered without SD'ing. Seriously, she is a monster on these wall-stages.
Also it is worth noting that Sheik CAN traverse under Final Destination type stages. I know of one way, and I've heard there is another. So yeah, be mindful of that.

Her needles are thrown at an angle when shes in midair, making them a viable way to gimp Zelda if she's recovering low.

Zelda would also have to already have in mind what she would want to do once she grabs the stage, or else Sheik could use one of her most hypest techs imo.

Sheik is well equipped to go after you when you are trying to recover; she just copies and pastes her air manuevers from above the stage to the bottom left/right of the screen. However Zelda's FW makes Sheik's job a bit tougher; it has a really long range and she can't hit you out of it when you are in mid-flight. Because of this, Zelda may be able to breathe just a bit easier than most other characters; simply airdodge and up up away!

It would be extremely tough for Zelda to ledge guard, especially if the stage is like the one aforementioned with the walls. You could try and D-Tilt when she reappears after using Vanish, but its tricky to get the timing right of when she reappears. Plus she has a few different ways of utilizing her BFish and grenades to punish you if your not careful (she can even auto-cancel BFish when she lands onstage to get a grab on you if you aren't careful enough.)

KILL MOVES - Ah, one of the bane's of playing Sheik; landing the kill. Her speed and ability to rack up damage is balanced by the fact that she has only a few kill moves that are pretty tough to land sometimes. Sheik has to rely on you being at really high percentages if she wants to finish you off without gimping. UAir can kill at higher percentages. BAir also can at higher percentages, however it tends to be only when she hits you away from the stage when your at a far side or off the stage.
Her smashes can kill(obviously) however each of the smashes are multi-hit, and I have had a couple times where someone gets out of it before I could finish the move.(except for her USmash)

Also I would like to take a little section to make a warning about her USmash; It's really dangerous. It consists of two hits; one is at the tip of her hands, and then the other is the rest of her hands and arms. The tip is the only move I know of of hers that can kill at medium/fairly high percentages depending on the character, and it also goes through platforms. Plus she can slide into it, so be mindful of that.

Vanish is also dangerous; picture it as a shorter, reversed version of Brawl Farore's. When Sheik vanishes, it does damage and KB, and when she reappears, a windbox pushes people and can even do slight KB if she appears on top of her opponent. The disappearing part is what makes this move dangerous; this kills earlier than most of the moves listed above, but definitely not as early as her USmash can.

Zelda definitely is more versatile here. Excluding her smashes, Zelda still can use all of her aerials(sans Neutral), Din's, Phantom, and of course, Farore's to kill from medium to high percent. When Sheik does get punished, it will hurt.

Also don't worry about comparing spikes; Sheik's DAir is her only spike and is suicidal. I rarely use it.

FINAL REMARKS AND MU OPINION VOTE - Sheik's ability to rush down and overwhelm Zelda is enormous. Sheik's only moves that suffer significant lag is all of her specials (besides her Needles), whereas most of Zelda's moves has a fair amount of lag. This enables Sheik to play a fast offensive game that would force Zelda to be very defensive and precise, and can easily punish Zelda with a few combos if she messes up. Nayru's and Farore are good tools for dealing with Sheik in terms of combat and recovery. But Nayru's ending lag is significant enough for Sheik to punish if your baited. This would make this MU an uphill battle for Zelda.

65 - 35 Sheik's favor.

(Note: This just means that the only thing that can beat Zelda is...Zelda :joyful:)

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I picked up Sheik last December and have gotten fairly good with him her, so I'll try my best to describe how I feel and why.(Pardon if certain things I describe are obvious, I like to try and cover all my bases.) However I am not the best, so some info could be wrong. I'll try and keep things to what I've experienced.

Keep in mind that Zelda is my main, so I am trying my hardest to take Zelda's options into consideration. Also, apologies for it being so long. I just wanted to make sure that I covered everything I found important.
NEUTRAL GAME - Sheik is best when she right in her opponents face.
Let's start off with approaching. Zelda cannot use Din's when Sheik is on the stage; it is too easy for Sheik to just roll past it, rush up, and grab you before the moves ending lag is over. The only time I could see this ever being safe is if shes a significant distance from the stage. Even still, it's not a good idea to camp and launch fireballs at Sheik while she's on the other side of the stage, because she's either camping to charge her needles(which she can instantly shield or roll out of) or she's on her way to get you and she just rolls past it.
Phantom is unsafe, but then again, it usually tends to be. She can hop over it or roll past it. But chances are, it will just whiff because Sheik will be where you will mostily find her; right up next to her. Best option I believe is to wait until she arrives cringes.

A lot of Sheik players will approach with a FAir, however it is dangerous for Zelda to just throw up her shield out of reaction whenever Sheik's close and in the air.Tomahawking is another option Sheik players will use if their FAir's begin to be met with Zelda's shield; they simply short hop and fast fall again, baiting the shield and allowing them to rush forward for the grab(more on her grabs later)

Another way they can approach is with a tech dubbed "Wave Needle", and it does the video does a better job describing it then I could.

On to when Sheik is in comboing range.
At low percentages, her FTilts combos into itself and her other tilts, so be ready to watch yourself be pummeled quite a bit before you can do anything. FTilt also combos into FAir, so be mindful that you could be carried into the air in a split second if your not careful.
Her DTilt can also combo into her FAir, and into her UAir, but due to the lack of range I never usually spam it.
Overall, her FTilt is probablly the safest due to the lack of lag. Best way out of these would be to spam Farore's grab oos, or Nayru's.

Her grabs are very dangerous, due to how many options Sheik can go with after tossing you. This is how a Sheik player can build up a lot of damage.
FThrow can combo into a couple of moves. At extremely low percent, her FThrow can actually combo into her Bouncing Fish(BF). Most of the time though, she'll combo into her FAir.
If a Sheik begins to notice you DI'ing away from her when she uses her FThrow, chances are she'll begin to utilize her DThrow more. This move not only makes it even tougher for players to DI away before she can land a FAir, but it also sets up for her UAir.

Now compared to Sheik's, Zelda's throws(especially BThrow) can kill at reasonable to high percentages. Sheik's can't kill even at 200%, and eventually her throws will launch you past comboing distance. This can cause someone at high percentage to simply shield when Sheik approaches; if they attack, the you block and punish. If she grabs, they know it won't kill and it won't lead to any attacks after that.

AIR GAME - Sheik is devastating in the air. Her FAir can combo into another FAir, allowing us to carry opponents off the stage with relative ease. Sometimes, at low percentages I'm actually able to get in four FAir's is the character is heavy enough.
If a Sheik begins to notice you DI'ing away from her when she uses her FThrow, chances are she'll begin to utilize her UThrow more. This move not only makes it even tougher for players to DI away before she can land a FAir, but it also sets up for her UAir, which is pretty heavy hitting and can actually kill at higher percentages.

I haven't been able to play against a whole lot of Zelda's, but I would still guess that spam Farore's Nayru's and airdodging would be the best way out of these kinds of situations. Be warned that you tend to still be in striking distance for a BAir after an air-dodge. If Zelda dodges too often, Sheik could easily bait her.

OFF-STAGE/LEDGE GUARDING - This is where Sheik players can work a lot of magic, although it does depend on the stage. A Sheik player is most at home when the stage has walls that extend beneathe itself all the way to below offscreen. This is because Sheik can go ridiculously deep to gimp and not worry about SD'ing. I mean RIDICULOUSLY deep. Not only does she have her air jump and recovery, but she also has her wall-cling(which allows you to jump off the spot your clinging too) and she has a wall jump. Plus her Bouncing Fish allows her to rebound off of stages, allowing her to get even higher. That's right. Counting the recovery she has five jumps. FIVE. I have practically fallen to the point where I am in the hour glass, gimped, and recovered without SD'ing. Seriously, she is a monster on these wall-stages.
Also it is worth noting that Sheik CAN traverse under Final Destination type stages. I know of one way, and I've heard there is another. So yeah, be mindful of that.

Also Zelda would have to already have in mind what she would want to do once she grabs the stage, or else Sheik could use one of her most hypest techs to kill you imo.

Sheik is well equipped to go after you when you are trying to recover; she just copies and pastes her air manuevers from above the stage to the bottom left/right of the screen. However Zelda's FW makes Sheik's job a bit tougher; it has a really long range and she can't hit you out of it when you are in mid-flight. Because of this, Zelda may be able to breathe just a bit easier than most other characters; simply airdodge and up up away!

It would be extremely tough for Zelda to ledge guard, especially if the stage is like the one aforementioned with the walls. You could try and D-Tilt when she reappears after using Vanish, but its tricky to get the timing right of when she reappears. Plus she has a few different ways of utilizing her BFish and grenades to punish you if your not careful (she can even auto-cancel BFish when she lands onstage to get a grab on you if you aren't careful enough.)

KILL MOVES - Ah, one of the bane's of playing Sheik; landing the kill. Her speed and ability to rack up damage is balanced by the fact that she has only a few kill moves that are pretty tough to land sometimes. Sheik has to rely on you being at really high percentages if she wants to finish you off without gimping.
I believe I already expressed that UAir can kill at higher percentages. BAir also can at higher percentages, however it tends to be only when she hits you away from the stage when your at a far side or off the stage.
Her smashes can kill(obviously) however each of the smashes are multi-hit, and I have had a couple times where someone gets out of it before I could finish the move.

Also I would like to take a little section to make a warning about her USmash; It's really dangerous. It consists of two hits; one is at the tip of her hands, and then the other is the rest of her hands and arms. The tip is the only move I know of that can kill at medium/fairly high percentages depending on the character, and it also goes through platforms. Plus she can slide into it, so be mindful of that.

Vanish is also dangerous; picture it as a shorter, reversed version of Brawl Farore's. When Sheik vanishes, it does damage and KB, and when she reappears, a windbox pushes people. The vanish is what makes this move dangerous; this kills earlier than most of the moves listed above, so be careful of your opponent getting the read on you.

Zelda definitely is more versatile here. Excluding her smashes, Zelda still can use all of her aerials(sans Neutral), Din's, Phantom, and of course, Farore's to kill from medium to high percent. When Sheik does get punished, it will hurt.

Also don't worry about comparing spikes; Sheik's DAir is her only spike and is suicidal. I rarely use it.

FINAL REMARKS AND MU OPINION VOTE - Sheik's ability to rush down and overwhelm Zelda is enormous. The only moves that suffer significant lag is all of Sheik's specials besides her Needles, whereas most of Zelda's moves has a fair amount of lag. This enables Sheik to play a fast offensive game that would force Zelda to be very defensive and precise, and can easily punish Zelda with a few combos if she messes up. Nayru's and Farore are good tools for dealing with Sheik in terms of combat and recovery. But Nayru's ending lag is significant enough for Sheik to punish if your baited. If both players had skill, it would be an uphill battle for Zelda.

75 - 25 Sheik's favor.

(Note: This just means that the only thing that can beat Zelda is...Zelda :joyful:)
No match up is nearly this bad. You just listed every bad thing in the MU. This is one of her better MUs. She outranges Sheik, kills earlier too. Sheik can't kill well, giving us rage allowing 40% kills. He can't edgeguard us. It's no where as near as bad as you described. We also don't need to approach because her peojectiles are also underwhelming. ZSS is her worst MU, and we agreed it's like 7-3. Sheik is definitely not 75-25. This is near unwinnable and the MU is definitely winnable.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
We also don't need to approach because her peojectiles are also underwhelming.
Ours are worse though. Sure Sheik can't force us to approach if we're at equal percentages or have the lead, but what if Sheik has the lead (very easy for her to get and maintain with her combo ability) and decides that she'll be patient and not approach us? We can't force her to approach with Din's or the Phantom; and worse, attempts to force approaches with either of these will likely end in us getting punished because they're easy to avoid with bad end lag, while Sheik has great mobility.

We can't safely approach a Sheik on the defensive because we have no non-laggy options, while most of Sheik's move-set is incredibly fast without lag.

Unfortunately the reverse is not true; a Sheik with a percent disadvantage may be forced to approach us, but she has no real trouble doing so.

I'm not saying this is a 25:75 MU - I'm not sure what I'd give this yet - but defensive Sheiks that opt to time us out and force approaches make this difficult for sure.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Ours are worse though. Sure Sheik can't force us to approach if we're at equal percentages or have the lead, but what if Sheik has the lead (very easy for her to get and maintain with her combo ability) and decides that she'll be patient and not approach us? We can't force her to approach with Din's or the Phantom; and worse, attempts to force approaches with either of these will likely end in us getting punished because they're easy to avoid with bad end lag, while Sheik has great mobility.

We can't safely approach a Sheik on the defensive because we have no non-laggy options, while most of Sheik's move-set is incredibly fast without lag.

Unfortunately the reverse is not true; a Sheik with a percent disadvantage may be forced to approach us, but she has no real trouble doing so.

I'm not saying this is a 25:75 MU - I'm not sure what I'd give this yet - but defensive Sheiks that opt to time us out and force approaches make this difficult for sure.
I don't think either of us has a projectile that can make an approach

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
I don't think either of us has a projectile that can make an approach
It doesn't matter. By gaining a % lead, we can force each other to approach by threat of time-out. The only problem is, Sheik doesn't have much problem initiating approaches because of her speed and lag less attacks, while Zelda will struggle immensely to safely come at Sheik because of our non-existent approach options and terribad end lag.

I think in a match vs a patient Sheik, we'll be forced to approach most of the time - not good.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
No match up is nearly this bad. You just listed every bad thing in the MU. This is one of her better MUs. She outranges Sheik, kills earlier too. Sheik can't kill well, giving us rage allowing 40% kills. He can't edgeguard us. It's no where as near as bad as you described. We also don't need to approach because her peojectiles are also underwhelming.
? Sorry, thought I explained better ;-;

I did say Sheik can't kill well. I even gave a list of what moves I use/see people use the most to kill with, and it isn't a big list. And I tried my best to be describe when Sheik's moves can kill (very high, etc) compared to Zelda's(medium, etc) I am not proficient in rage stats though, so thanks for the reminder.

Yes Zelda outranges Sheik. But Din's shouldn't be something you rely on dealing damage or pressure because, like I said, Sheik is best when up close. So Sheik will already be trying to get close to you. Because of this, I also warned against using Din's because he can very easily catch you out of Din's landing lag.

I did say Zelda's recovery is fantastic against his gimping game, and the only reason why I included the parts of how he gimps was so you could better understand what to expect from Sheik. However, I did feel like the wall stage scenario needed to be explained because of how low Sheik won't be afraid to go; Sheik could very easily fast fall off the stage and hit you with the needles when your try to FW, and then hit you further away by the time you recovered from the Needle's KB. Situational yes. Rare? Yep! But I figured it would be best to include it anyways so you can be better prepared. Also, she does have her thief nade tech which would allow her to get you as soon as you reappear on the ledge. There are ways to bypass grabbing the ledge to get back on stage(go high instead of low, FW behind Sheik), but the ending lag would allow Sheik to react faster than Zelda would.

Anyways, like I said, I haven't played against other Zelda's as Sheik. So, I decided to use my experiences maining Zelda and experiences as Sheik to try and determine how I felt about the matchup. That's why my suggestions on how to get out of those situations were short(well that and Nayru's is a good answer for pretty much all of them). .

Um...I think I got it all...was there anything else? Or explanations you weren't satisfied with?

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
It doesn't matter. By gaining a % lead, we can force each other to approach by threat of time-out. The only problem is, Sheik doesn't have much problem initiating approaches because of her speed and lag less attacks, while Zelda will struggle immensely to safely come at Sheik because of our non-existent approach options and terribad end lag.

I think in a match vs a patient Sheik, we'll be forced to approach most of the time - not good.
Yes but not being able to kill is a huge advantage for us. We can kill her with an elevator with 150% rage like at 20%. We also outrange

? Sorry, thought I explained better ;-;

I did say Sheik can't kill well. I even gave a list of what moves I use/see people use the most to kill with, and it isn't a big. And I tried my best to be describe when Sheik's moves can kill (very high, etc) compared to Zelda's(medium, etc) I am not proficient in rage stats though, so thanks for the reminder.

Yes Zelda outranges Sheik. But Din's shouldn't be something you rely on dealing damage or pressure because, like I said, Sheik is best when up close. So Sheik will already be trying to get close to you. Because of this, I also warned against using Din's because he can very easily catch you out of Din's landing lag.

I did say Zelda's recovery is fantastic against his gimping game, and the only reason why I included the parts of how he gimps was so you could better understand what to expect from Sheik. However, I did feel like the wall stage scenario needed to be explained because of how low Sheik won't be afraid to go; Sheik could very easily fast fall off the stage and hit you with the needles when your try to FW, and then hit you further away by the you recovered from the Needle's KB. Situational yes. Rare? Yep! But I figured it would be best to include it anyways so you can be better prepared. Also, she does have her thief nade tech which would allow her to get you as soon as you reappear on the ledge. There are ways to bypass grabbing the ledge to get back on stage(go high instead of low, FW behind Sheik), but the ending lag would allow Sheik to react faster than Zelda would.

Anyways, like I said, I haven't played against other Zelda's as Sheik. So, I decided to use my experiences maining Zelda and experiences as Sheik to try and determine how I felt about the matchup. That's why my suggestions on how to get out of those situations were short(well that and Nayru's is a good answer for pretty much all of them). .

Um...I think I got it all...was there anything else? Or explanations you weren't satisfied with?
The explanation was fine but your score and explanation aren't corespondent. Your score makes it look like a 6-4 which what i think it is. No score in smash 4 is higher than 7-3. Also I never said anything about Fire it's horrid. Like all her smashes and tilts outrange him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292

I haven't actually seen very many patient Sheik's. The thought of approaching is frightening O.o

The explanation was fine but your score and explanation aren't corespondent. Your score makes it look like a 6-4 which what i think it is. No score in smash 4 is higher than 7-3.
Ahhhh gotcha. I was going to put 60 - 40 but still felt that Zelda would struggle too much for that. Didn't know that about the scores either, ill change it to 65 - 35.
For future reference, what do you mean by "wasn't correspondent"?

Edit: Nevermind, think I got it. You mean my explanation didn't match my original score right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I haven't actually seen very many patient Sheik's. The thought of approaching is frightening O.o
I agree that we lose the MU but definitely not by 75-25. That's like zelda vs olimar in brawl which was nearly unwinnable which this MU is more than winnable.
Ahhhh gotcha. I was going to put 60 - 40 but still felt that Zelda would struggle too much for that. Didn't know that about the scores either, ill change it to 65 - 35.
like doesn't match, that score would fit if she had like aboslutely no advantages.

Last edited:

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
I agree that we lose the MU but definitely not by 75-25. That's like zelda vs olimar in brawl which was nearly unwinnable which this MU is more than winnable.
like doesn't match, that score would fit if she had like abo****ely no advantages.
Ah okay, sorry. Still kinda getting used to the Boards, had no idea that's what the score meant on here. Hearing that makes me feel like I accidentally cussed someone out in a different language lol.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Yes but not being able to kill is a huge advantage for us. We can kill her with an elevator with 150% rage like at 20%. We also outrange
True. The problem is landing the Elevator thanks to Sheik's lack of lag. I feel like it'd be even harder if they're playing super patiently. Our far superior KO power is the only thing that keeps this match winnable.

Edit: Nevermind, think I got it. You mean my explanation didn't match my original score right?
I think Zelda struggles too much to classify it as 40:60 as well.

I guess I'll agree and tentatively put down my score as: :4zelda:35:65:4sheik: for now. (Still thinking it could possibly be a 30:70 though)

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
True. The problem is landing the Elevator thanks to Sheik's lack of lag. I feel like it'd be even harder if they're playing super patiently. Our far superior KO power is the only thing that keeps this match winnable.
Agreed. Landing a kill with Sheik can be an excruciating pain. If you can be aware of what moves Sheik could try to kill you with at a given time, you could live ridiculously long. It's easier to do with Sheik because she has so few moves to claim a stock with. Plus Zelda can take a lot of hits anyways. Couple in the fact that Sheik's throws can't kill and won't set up into anything else once you exceed a certain percentage, and you get one angry Sheik :chuckle:

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
@ Macchiato Macchiato I think you're starting to overexaggerate how much earlier a rage boosted FW elevator will KO. If we're lucky it'll start getting sheik at maybe 60% before she finally nets the Elevator KO.

While I do think sheik's lack of KO moves plays an important part in not making this MU terrible, even with sheik there's only so long you can survive as lightweight Zelda, Sheik WILL KO you, especially because after a while sheik can literally just dance in and out and bouncing fish for safer KO moves.

I think Zelda strives off of being behind on the same stock, and then netting a surprise early rage KO, and making her opponents impatient to then revenge their lost lead. Also, if you can force sheik to ledge-snap with Vanish, DAir can be very good at intercepting her as she ledge-snaps and maybe even get a gimp.

Also, c'mon gorl, by now I at least expect you to know better about double posting... :smirk:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
The other day @ Macchiato Macchiato and I were seeing is Love as an anti-pressure tool was really necessary against Sheik, and god when I was using Passion against Sheik it was actually the saddest MU ever. I was comboed to death. Nayru's Love is necessary for this MU. I don't think Din's Blaze works good here since Sheik is so fast she can just run past it so...I'd opt for Flare. If you predict where Sheik is going to Bouncing Fish to when she's recovering you might be able to kill her with a Flare. Her combos are too fast to Squall out of, and you need as much kill power as possible so Farore's Wind is what you'll want to use. As per usual, Strike over the other Phantoms because no blindspot, maximum damage, and semi-spiking capabilities. But yeah, 1213 :4zelda: is definitely the best here.

Though, I wouldn't say customs change the MU much since Sheik gets two new tools as well. I'd say customs is just about as hard an MU as default

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
@ Macchiato Macchiato I think you're starting to overexaggerate how much earlier a rage boosted FW elevator will KO. If we're lucky it'll start getting sheik at maybe 60% before she finally nets the Elevator KO.

While I do think sheik's lack of KO moves plays an important part in not making this MU terrible, even with sheik there's only so long you can survive as lightweight Zelda, Sheik WILL KO you, especially because after a while sheik can literally just dance in and out and bouncing fish for safer KO moves.

I think Zelda strives off of being behind on the same stock, and then netting a surprise early rage KO, and making her opponents impatient to then revenge their lost lead. Also, if you can force sheik to ledge-snap with Vanish, DAir can be very good at intercepting her as she ledge-snaps and maybe even get a gimp.

Also, c'mon gorl, by now I at least expect you to know better about double posting... :smirk:
Those safe KO moves are very limited, though. Bair is hard to approach with and pretty much
doesn't kill unless close to the edge, and bouncing fish aimed at a grounded opponent is quite punishable
if dodged rather than blocked, like Sonic's Homing Attack. Best thing Sheik can do for onstage kills is throw
and try to get uairs, or bait for bairs or usmashes.

If Sheik is committed to staying away to maintain a lead, she'll find that needles are easily shielded in neutral
and wind lets Zelda stay relatively close in most cases.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
The other day @ Macchiato Macchiato and I were seeing is Love as an anti-pressure tool was really necessary against Sheik, and god when I was using Passion against Sheik it was actually the saddest MU ever. I was comboed to death. Nayru's Love is necessary for this MU. I don't think Din's Blaze works good here since Sheik is so fast she can just run past it so...I'd opt for Flare. If you predict where Sheik is going to Bouncing Fish to when she's recovering you might be able to kill her with a Flare. Her combos are too fast to Squall out of, and you need as much kill power as possible so Farore's Wind is what you'll want to use. As per usual, Strike over the other Phantoms because no blindspot, maximum damage, and semi-spiking capabilities. But yeah, 1213 :4zelda: is definitely the best here.

Though, I wouldn't say customs change the MU much since Sheik gets two new tools as well. I'd say customs is just about as hard an MU as default
Sheik's Penetrating Needles(2) can apply a lot of shield pressure. This makes it a great way to condition somebody.
Her Gravity Grenade(2) can combo into her tipper USmash(the tips of her hands, the most dangerous part of the move) at kill percentages.
Most of her other moves just mix up her play style, but I feel like 2211 gives Sheik better options without the sacrifice of others.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sheik's Penetrating Needles(2) can apply a lot of shield pressure. This makes it a great way to condition somebody.
Her Gravity Grenade(2) can combo into her tipper USmash(the tips of her hands, the most dangerous part of the move) at kill percentages.
Most of her other moves just mix up her play style, but I feel like 2211 gives Sheik better options without the sacrifice of others.
Penetrating needles do have less range which discourages camping on Sheik's part, but can definitely be more problematic
especially when Phantom can't block them. As for gravity grenade, the default was hard enough to land as it is
even with it's suction effect, which I believe gravity lacks. Though it's obviously more rewarding when it does,
it's just as read dependent as something like Vanish.

Actually, if Sheik decides to use piercing, then din's flare can actually let Zelda play keep-away to some extent
in combination with farore's. At last, Zelda can (kinda) force an approach!

Last edited:

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Penetrating needles do have less range which discourages camping on Sheik's part, but can definitely be more problematic
especially when Phantom can't block them. As for gravity grenade, the default was hard enough to land as it is
even with it's suction effect, which I believe gravity lacks. Though it's obviously more rewarding when it does,
it's just as read dependent as something like Vanish.

Actually, if Sheik decides to use piercing, then din's flare can actually let Zelda play keep-away to some extent
in combination with farore's. At last, Zelda can (kinda) force an approach!
I don't think you'll find many Sheik's camping though, because Sheik needs to be up close to do damage. You won't need to force an approach most of the time because of this(At least I have never been really forced to approach since I need to be in their face to do my thing)
Also very rarely do I just throw my needles when I'm far away. I might sometimes to mix things up, but most of the time I use them to interrupt attacks, gimp, help build damage during a combo and such. So when Sheik picks PNeedles, you should expect her to be right on top of you when she uses them; she'll either break your shield when you try to block during her combo, or she'll be making you get used to not shielding so she can bait you later.

Edit: Actually I take it back; some Sheik's do camp, but only if they feel like there's no way to approach safely. That said, be very careful he isn't close when your launching fireballs. I haven't messed a whole lot with customs, but I would still be careful of him rolling past the Din's and grabbing you on the ending lag.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't think you'll find many Sheik's camping though, because Sheik needs to be up close to do damage. You won't need to force an approach most of the time because of this(At least I have never been really forced to approach since I need to be in their face to do my thing)
Also very rarely do I just throw my needles when I'm far away. I might sometimes to mix things up, but most of the time I use them to interrupt attacks, gimp, help build damage during a combo and such. So when Sheik picks PNeedles, you should expect her to be right on top of you when she uses them; she'll either break your shield when you try to block during her combo, or she'll be making you get used to not shielding so she can bait you later.

Edit: Actually I take it back; some Sheik's do camp, but only if they feel like there's no way to approach safely. That said, be very careful he isn't close when your launching fireballs. I haven't messed a whole lot with customs, but I would still be careful of him rolling past the Din's and grabbing you on the ending lag.
Flare travels much faster than fire and always hits at maximum power, though the explosion
is smaller and it only goes straight (which is totally fine since Sheik does not spend much time in the air).
Not saying it will be used a lot on an aggressive Sheik, but taking piercing means that Sheik HAS to be on the
offensive lest she risk flare bombardment. This is good for Zelda, since it means she doesn't have to approach herself.

It's like Ivysaur's Bullet Seed: you probably won't use it much nor will it be likely to land unless
your opponent keeps putting themselves in the wrong position, but the mere fact that it's there discourages
certain options since it really hurts when it lands. Sheik can't sit still when taking piercing against flare.

Top Bottom