• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide To Competitive Doubles

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
I'm writing this guide mainly because of how me and my partner got owned at my last doubles tourney. Some people are really good in singles but their doubles's skill, however, is severely lacking, and as doubles are getting more popular I think its important for us smashers not to just focus on singles but on doubles as well. This guide is also more of a collaborative guide so anyone can give tips, correct errors, etc. I will update this guide regularly and add information if deemed necessary. So here's my guide and feel post anything you know about doubles. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents-A Guide To Competitive Doubles
I. Basics
1. Rules of Doubles
2 . Communication/Decision
2A. Introduction
2B. Pre-Game/In Between Games
2C. During A Match ~To be Finished~

II. Combinations(To be added later)
1. Character Combinations
2 . Stage Combinations​

III. Tactics(To be added later)
1. 2v2 Stuff
2. 2v1 Stuff​

IV. Doubles Only Stuff(To be added/completed later)
1. General Stuff
2.2v2 Stuff
3. 2v1 Stuff~To be Finished~​
I- Basics
1. Rules Of Doubles
These are doubles only rule excerpts I took from MLGPRO.COM's rules page
MLGPRO.COM said:
Super Smash Brothers Melee

Stage & Character Selection
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City

Other Rules & Special Issues

5. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON
6. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed
2 .Communication/Decision

2A)Introduction
This is where it all starts from the moment you pick up your controller to the moment the match ends you have opportunities to talk to your partner. I can't stress this enough this is one of the most important aspects of teams, while it may not matter against opponents who are just scrubs it will help give you the edge that may be needed to beat those other smashers. To better communicate you need to have a teammate that will listen to you, and respect your ideas. Why is communication important? It helps you and your partner know what each other are doing so you can better work together.

Before the match starts off let me say this it is preferable that you sit next to your partner so you can talk to him/her more easily. Now onto the next section...

2B)Pre-Game/In Between Games
What Character should I pick? What Character should my Teammate be? These are all common questions that are asked before the match starts. It is important that you and your partner decide on a team together and you both feel right about playing those characters. Maybe you don't feel a certain character combination will work, or maybe you feel that your teammate hasn't fully devolved the character he picked yet, these are all things you should let your partner know because if not you could end up starting the match already at a disadvantage.

Now if you can't agree on a character combination try to reason with your partner and if you cannot remember this: It is more important that you are comfortable with a character then one that makes a better combination or one you are more skilled with. Let me give you an example: If I'm Falcon and my friend is Marth but I'm not really feeling comfortable with my falcon and I SD like three times that would be worse then going with another character like Samus that you are more comfortable with but wouldn't be exactly as good combination as falcon would. Remember above all to make sure you and your partner enter the match with a combination you feel has the best chance not combinations that just look good on paper (e.g. Falcon/Marth, Sheik/Marth, Fox/Falco etc.).

Now you've decided your characters and the first game has already ended and you have lost. You and your partner need to decide on what to counter pick on your opponents. Always consider these factors before counter picking:
  • Is it a stage me and my partner are comfortable with?
  • Is it a stage that our next character combination will work well with?
  • Will my opponents be at a disadvantage if we chose this stage?
  • Will my opponents most likely not change characters if I pick this stage? If they do change am I still ready?

If you answered yes to all of these questions you are ready to select your counter pick but first ask your partner if he thinks its the stage is an okay idea and if a character change is needed let him know. If your partner comes up with an even better idea then go with it after all you are a team. If all turns out well you could end up winning the match, and if you did so because of your counter pick congratulations, you won because of thought not playing skill.

2C)During A Match ~To be Finished~
Why is communication important in the middle of a match? Well, unless your Isai whose just too good you may not be that aware of all that is going on around you. Instead of keeping track of one other player and yourself you need to keep track of three other players in addition to yourself this obviously is much harder. To help give your team an advantage you can talk to your partner so he/she can become better aware of their environment and so can you. Just a simple "help me" or "get this guy of my back" can help your partner realize you need help. Let me me put it to you like this; Usually when I'm fighting my opponent all I'm focusing on is me and my opponent and I don't even realize what my friend is doing but if he says "help me" I rush over to help him with what he needs whether its help recovering or help fighting an opponent I trust that my friend knows what he's saying and really needs my help.

Employing these simple ideas of communication can help you get better at doubles, however, it is not the only factor that makes a successful team as I will later discuss.

II-Combinations
1. Character Combinations

2. Stage Combinations

III-Tactics
1. Introduction

IV- Doubles Only Stuff
*Note Player A means you, Player B is your partner, Player C is one of your opponents and Player D is the other one.

1.General Stuff
Grab Invincibility: Many do not know this but when you grab someone you get a few frames of invincibility preventing the opponent from interrupting your grab.

2.2v2 Stuff

3. 2v1 Stuff ~To be Finished~

Ken&Isai Infinite- 0 To Death
I'm not sure the exact real name of this move but this move was made famous when Ken and Isai used it on Groomblue (Azen & Chillin) during the 2005 MLG Nationals. Heres how its done. Now lets assume you are the grabber. In order to do this infinite you must grab either player C or D(basically whoever is remaining) after this your partner must walk up and start jabbing(AAA) away at the opponent as much as he/she can without hitting you. The opponent is then unable to escape the grab and you are able to do as much damage to him/her as you like. This move should only usually be attempted when you are in a 2v1 situation in your favor because if not it can be easily interrupted and very punishable.
To be finished later

Reese

Smash Journeyman
i find it strange that a guide like this wasn't made before, considering melee is like 5 years old. Anyway im looking forward to this guide, my friend and i suck in doubles. We kill each other and SD when trying to save each other...

PichuFTW

Smash Rookie
It's looking good so far, keep it up. It's a shame most people I end up teaming up with (at our fests we try to make the teams balanced), they can never find a way to help pichu before it's too late >_>

This should be a really interesting read when it's finished.

Ares726

Smash Ace
I know something you could add to the 2v1 section: grab->grab. If you're playing characters that don't have rapid A moves (like Samus or Peach) and you want to do a grab infinite you can use a Grab->Grab. Basically, Player A and Player B are on the same team, and Player C is still alive. Player A grabs Player C and jabs until they escape. Player B is spaced so that they can grab Player C after he breaks out. Player B jabs Player C until they escape. Once they do escape, it's right back to Player A.

I know that sounds confusing so I'll go find a video example.

EDIT: It starts at 2:51 in this video.

Ares726

Smash Ace
Naming good character combinations really doesn't end. Any two people who play well together can make their characters work, so asking a list of good combinations won't really get anything done. There are some combinations that are better/worse than others, but I think it boils down to the individual players.

I think some good ones are Sheik/Peach, Sheik/Ganon, Sheik/Samus, Fox/Fox, Fox/Falco, Peach/Ganon, Marth/Falcon, and Bowser with 8 lives.

EDIT: Change the name of the "Ken&Isai 0-death infinite" to "Grab->Jab Infinite" or something like that.

EDIT2: You might want to include a section on how to save your partner. You can go through each character and list their primary "save" techniques. Just a thought.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
--points up to ares' post--

what he said.

I wont say any teams, cause i've never "officially" played doubles, so my talk would be misguided opinions. I can safely say you might wanna put why specific characters are where (i.e. Jiggs and grab-resting) And why some lower tiered characters are high(er) in doubles (i.e. Ness and [im assuming] pkthunder)

Also, a section about saving your partner would be kool too, cause although it's obvious if you've seen/played doubles, people who havent lost their doubles virginity probably cant imagine ever hitting your partner for anything.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
You're off to a really good start. Already you've helped me. :laugh:
I can't wait for the Character Combinations. Resident Waffle, I never knew you had that much intelligence in you, despite the fact that you are very good in doubles. I think this guide will be really really good.

Why hasn't this topic hit at least 15 pages?

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
You're off to a really good start. Already you've helped me. :laugh:
I can't wait for the Character Combinations. Resident Waffle, I never knew you had that much intelligence in you, despite the fact that you are very good in doubles. I think this guide will be really really good.

Why hasn't this topic hit at least 15 pages?
Because it's not finished and I even don't know if the author is still working on it. I love to see it finished, but I don't know nothing of teams so can somebody help the author out?

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
You could mention that in doubles it's smarter to go for the more vulnerable opponent.

Lifesharing basically allows both teammates to fight until the very last stock, effectively allowing 1 guaranteed stock for each player, and six that are shared between the two.

To kill Peach 4 times on DL64, you might need to deal something around 800% damage to her.
Her teammate is Falco, and to kill him four times you might only need to deal 400%.

So why not take advantage of this? It may be unrealistic to take 7 lives from the Falco in this situation and only one from Peach. It's not unrealistice to take 5 or 6.

Having to deal less damage/KO is what it's all about, anyway.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Great guide so far, Keep up the good work! One of the keys to a good guide is devotion. If you're devoted to the project, you'll finish it quickly and well.

I guess you could say that about anything, but I've seen projects go to waste because of procrastination and I wouldn't want it to happen to this.

Oh yeah, heres a cookie! (Linkster47 hands cookie to ResidentWaffle)

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Great guide so far, Keep up the good work! One of the keys to a good guide is devotion. If you're devoted to the project, you'll finish it quickly and well.

I guess you could say that about anything, but I've seen projects go to waste because of procrastination and I wouldn't want it to happen to this.

Oh yeah, heres a cookie! (Linkster47 hands cookie to ResidentWaffle.)

Edit: crap! my computer double posted again. ignore this.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Well I'm bored, so I'm going to list some easy save techniques.

Falco: Shine your team mate, SHL them ater they use their up-b

Fox: Uair at mid % if you can make it back. Firefox charge after they up-b (chillin saved azen with this once, so awesome)

Marth: First hit of >b

Captain Falcon: ??? Up-b toward the stage perhaps?

Sheik: Single needle after they use up-b. Uair at mid %, bair toward stage.

Doc: Pills after they use up-b, Bair toward stage?

Mario: same as Doc

ICs: ice block after they up-b, desynched blizzard if close.

DK: Uair, Soft hit of up-b

Ness: PK fire if close. PK thunder (punishable)

Link: Arrow, Bomb, Boomerang

Young link: same as link

Luigi: Fireball after they up-b, bair toward stage

GaW: Meat after they up-b, Bair, soft Fair after up-b

Ganondorf: same as falcon??

Roy: same as marth

Pikachu: Thundershock, Up-b

Pichu: same as pika, uair

Peach: Floating dair after up-b, floating bair toward stage

Yoshi: egg

Samus: Homing missile, fair, bomb

Zelda: Nair, nayru's love, Din's fire

Bowser: Fortress, fire breath if close (punishable)

Jigglypuff: Uair, reverse bair, reverse fair, dair

Kirby: bair toward stage, hammer

Mewtwo: Mid % fair.

Did I miss anything?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
NO Eaode that was wicked helpful not gonna lie, when is this thing actually going to get finished? Or does someone else want to take over, it hasn't been updated in almost three months.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
I'm guessing with Falcon and Ganon you could do a Uair (facing away from the stage) and knock 'em back. Or maybe a Bair towards the stage.
And yeah the upB from Falcon/Ganon works, as long as they can tech it. =P

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
hmm eaode u wanna take over?
anyone?

for jigglypuff, you forgot pound.
how dare you.
lol.

and mewtwo can probably shadowball.
marth can probably bair
i wouldnt really uair with fox... just sounds... bad lol
im guessing mario and doc's uairs will be alright.
theres lots of things you can do i guess, just depends on the situation. shouldnt take that much creativity.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
A great team combination is Marth and Jigglypuff. Marth's grab game makes grab resting easy and he could use his throws to quickly wake up Jigglypuff and get her out of danger and send her in a variety of directions. Marth has great edgeguarding game and Jiggs can help you get them off the stage rather quickly for easy kills. The major downside is that Jiggs will have a hard time keeping up with you so you might get double teammed every now and then.

Another suggestion for the 2v1 situation is the House of Pain. Simply sandwich the opponent between you and your partner.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Nice Me & My Parter are pretty good But we could use a few tips! real nice

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Marth/Fox is a combination that can handel any team effectivly. As well as Marth/Shiek.

Also, shiek the the best character in teams.

Nothing can sway a match more in teams then grabs. If you are keeping an eye on your teammate and notice when he grabs someone (marth for example).

Lets that marth grabs a peach. Fox can the proceed to upsmash her while marth is grabbing..or marth could tipper whoever fox grabs..Grab games can be devestaing and turn the tide of the match quickly.

Also, what will said was true.

Top Bottom