• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few thoughts on what is going on these days.

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
first of all i would like to slap aesis on the back of his hand for leaving it up to the people to decide what game to be played at UCLA 6. and i will use this situation to bring up an idea for peopel plannign on holding tournaments. if you are a TO you need to come out with what game will be played right off the bat. no matter what game it is you will still get people to come so by asking the people you only cause a big cry baby fest.

second thought. people REALLY are not giving brawl a chance. nearly 2/3 of the people i have been talking to who dislike brawl have not even played a total of 24 hours with the game. they simply dont see melee and they give up.

BRAWL IS FUN

if anything, what our community needs a LARGE scale brawl tournament. an ACTUAL competition with everybody there like before.

melee honestly didnt REALLY start to heat up out here until there was a power rankings. when that came out, people came from everywhere trying to prove their stuff. and i honestly dont think there is enough competition for brawl right now. Palmdale has new players flying out the *** these days and we have had some great brawl tournaments going. and its very competitive, and then i look on here and the rest of socal is emo. and we are like wtf?

i really think brawl needs to be given more of a chance. and it needs a MAJOR MAJOR tournament to help kick things off on the right foot. im sure many will disagree, but how do other people feel about this?

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Maybe 2/3 of the people you've talked to haven't played Brawl much, but most people have spent enough time with it to know that it's not nearly as good as Melee. I was talking to Mew2King and he says he refuses to play Brawl friendlies because 'they're boring and lame.' I agree.They are boring and lame. The only reason anyone goes to Brawl tournaments is because that's where the cash is. People would go to a big tournament, but it wouldn't make anybody like Brawl more. Nobody would want to 'prove their stuff' at Brawl because skill in Brawl doesn't really compare to skill in Melee. I seriously doubt power rankings would solve any problems.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
So, because M2K and you agree that Brawl is boring, the rest of the world does?

Zfly

Smash Cadet
I agree with ROFL
alot of ppl havent given brawl a chance
and they should
its quit fun

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
i dont understand how the skill is really all that different.

they biggest difference is in the combo system.

melee had repeat combos over and over and over. there only a hand full of character that can attempt this and even be any good in brawl.

combos require quick thinking and adjustments. where as melee was more of knowing how long you could up throw them until you had to do an up tilt to knock them back in to your up throws until you could tip them. :/ very exciting.

besides that there is sitll some tech skill (obviously less) and a LOT of mind games and spacing.

same ammount of camping in my eyes too. everyone camped like a ***** in melee and i punished them for it. its the same thing in brawl. i actually find it fun running through an obstacle course sometimes. lol i just like the challenge i guess.

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
gimpy also wears sunglasses inside on youtube.

and said ike is garbage tier.

oh and by the way, predicting air dodges is a great way to continue a combo and punish your opponent by being smarter than them. guess you dont know how to counter an air dodge tho? it actually extends a lot of my combos in to things that wouldnt be possible if they would of just counter attacked. in which case you can also counter this by shield grabbing and continuing your combo.

mind games are SOOOOO **** in brawl. i guess a lot of people were just tech skill only in melee lol

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I've logged billions of hours on Brawl (it's practically on all the time) and I've played billions of people from my school and I think Brawl is boring. It's only fun when you're messing around and not playing to win, but then what's the point? Competitively, there is no point. That's the point I'm trying to make =P

kamekasu

Smash Ace
So, because M2K and you agree that Brawl is boring, the rest of the world does?
No... He happened to say that, and I happen to agree. Melee is just more fun. For me, the only reason to play Brawl at this point is because all the tournaments are using Brawl.

Obviously other people agree, there are tons of threads on this board that agree with what I said.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
I noticed that whem Gimpy lost to a Snake, then saw a Snake win a WA tourney, he hated on Snake and gave up on Brawl.

And before that, he was SoCal's biggest Brawl supporter.

Just a mere observation.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Brawl rankings would be great, but unfortunately it's too soon to create decent rankings.

We'd have
1. Alex
And then a big *** gap. It'd be hard to judge who goes where after that. The only certain thing would be Chet's absence from the list.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
ROFL is right.

I'm getting pissed off at most people just cuz they aren't giving brawl a chance. They think they know exactly where Brawl is headed and that Brawl has no potential. It's dumb.

Some idiots feel the need to say Brawl is not competitive. For one thing, these people don't even know what the term "competitive" means. Each weekend there is at least one Brawl tourney and each time, the tourney's tend to have a pretty good turnout. Competitive yet?

And also, they claim that Brawl has no tech skill and because of that, it's not a good game. Every Melee smasher should know tech skill is only PART of what makes a smasher good. There is more to it, much more. Tech skill is ultimately muscle memory. There are tons of people out there who have great tech skill but get ***** by me (not meant to boast and no I am not that great in Melee. Just stating facts). Why? Because they lack mindgames, proper spacing, don't utilize moves effectively etc. And all those mentioned above are STILL in Brawl. Without proper spacing, mindgames, whatever, people will naturally get ***** just like in Melee. Except this time around, there is less emphasis in muscle memory/tech skill. And tech skill is only part of what makes a smasher good. Can't emphasize that enough.

And for the record, there are some trixies/techniques I am learning with Marth in Brawl that actually involve (dare I say it)... tech skill. Not as much as a waveshine in Melee and whatnot but enough that it required me to actually practice for a good deal of time. Not sure if they are THAT useful but useful still.

And btw, there is a reason the game is not called Melee 2 and Brawl. New game, new tricks, and just as competitive and intense.

but you just said camping was fun
I believe he meant that facing campers is fun and I agree. ****** campers is just too satisfying.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Brawl rankings would be great, but unfortunately it's too soon to create decent rankings.

We'd have
1. Alex
And then a big *** gap. It'd be hard to judge who goes where after that. The only certain thing would be Chet's absence from the list.
Well, for Melee, we had Ken for a long time, then a big *** gap between 1st and 2nd.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Some idiots feel the need to say Brawl is not competitive. For one thing, these people don't even know what the term "competitive" means. Each weekend there is at least one Brawl tourney and each time, the tourney's tend to have a pretty good turnout. Competitive yet?
LOL. YOU just misinterpreted what everyone means by competitive. They mean it has depth as a fighting game, not how popular it is (aka turnout). Good shlt.

And also, they claim that Brawl has no tech skill and because of that, it's not a good game. Every Melee smasher should know tech skill is only PART of what makes a smasher good. There is more to it, much more. Tech skill is ultimately muscle memory. There are tons of people out there who have great tech skill but get ***** by me (not meant to boast and no I am not that great in Melee. Just stating facts). Why? Because they lack mindgames, proper spacing, don't utilize moves effectively etc. And all those mentioned above are STILL in Brawl. Without proper spacing, mindgames, whatever, people will naturally get ***** just like in Melee. Except this time around, there is less emphasis in muscle memory/tech skill. And tech skill is only part of what makes a smasher good. Can't emphasize that enough.
Anyone who lacked mindgames in Melee was not good, so nobody is arguing that. Also, tech skill includes spacing, not that it matters.

And for the record, there are some trixies/techniques I am learning with Marth in Brawl that actually involve (dare I say it)... tech skill. Not as much as a waveshine in Melee and whatnot but enough that it required me to actually practice for a good deal of time. Not sure if they are THAT useful but useful still.
I'm not complaining about the lack of tech skill Brawl takes, I'm complaining about the lack of depth it has. Techniques don't make the game better if they don't help evolve the metagame.

And btw, there is a reason the game is not called Melee 2 and Brawl. New game, new tricks, and just as competitive and intense.
Wow, I bet you used all of the logic in your brain and focused really hard to come up with a statement like that. New game, new tricks (and less old ones that added to the legitimacy of the game), new depth (it's quite shallow), new intensity (it's quite dull), newbs who beat a VERY smart player like Gimpy despite how much of a gap there should be. And yes, there SHOULD be a gap, we know what to look for, such as tech patterns, how they recover, how they approach, will they roll if I run at them or will they shield or Fsmash instead, etc etc, stuff that you wouldn't be able to learn right away if you just played against your little group of friends for the entirety of Melee/64's life.

I believe he meant that facing campers is fun and I agree. ****** campers is just too satisfying.
And getting ***** by campers is frustrating. ZOMG TWO SIDES TO THE STORY LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6ZLFjtNVI&feature=related

Even if you somehow thought M2K vs Mango wasn't intense as ****, you can't deny how mundane and stupid the entire Overswarm vs Jiano set was. Yes, there is gay **** in Melee like Falco camping Bowser on FD, but ALL of Brawl is that gay.

killer tofu

Smash Lord
**** Kira. I try avoiding trash talking/arguing with you directly cuz I thought you were cool and all but I see you have no qualms doing so to me. So sad...

Kira... your an idiot. In a nutshell. Nothing personal dude. Arguing with you seems pointless.
Kira is amazingly smart.
Lol. I didn't make it in time.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Well aside from all the bashing on who's dumb etc...

if the power rankings really do contribute to intensity and competition in tournaments, which I think they do to an extent, we should probably get panel of active players together. I'll go ahead and propose one I guess

DSF - LA
Edrees - Anaheim
Champ - OC
ROFL - Palmdale
Gimpyfish - Riverside
Rick/Me - San Diego

Glenn - for being amazing and having statistical analysis to every tournament.

All these players are on AIM often enough to contribute a meaningful discussion if we intend to start a power ranking. Just something to toss out there

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
speaking of mew2king and boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaZxz1YhuA0

lol and brawl is campy?

since when does mew2king have ANYTHING to do with fun? he plays dirtier/gayer/campier/boringer than ANYONE else in melee.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=35D_J0jRSqE&feature=related

lol @ one random example proving your point? No **** M2K camps, but you don't have a point. If you're trying to argue M2K is boring, um... yeah, I know you're not trying to do that because I see your name on almost every smash video I watch.

BTW Kouryuu, tech skill means way more than you think in Melee. Tech skill is way more than Sniper or Lovage randomly doing shine to bairs and drill shining perfectly. You also forgot DI.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
ROFL is right.
Every person is right according to you.

Tournout isn't competitive..i don't think you know what Competitive means.

There are tons of people out there who have great tech skill but get ***** by me (not meant to boast and no I am not that great in Melee. Just stating facts). Why? Because they lack mindgames, proper spacing, don't utilize moves effectively etc. And all those mentioned above are STILL in Brawl. Without proper spacing, mindgames, whatever, people will naturally get ***** just like in Melee.
Why do you talk like you actually do these things? I'm pretty sure some random metaknight sent you to losers on sunday, you know, the one that i beat?
Had you been doing these things, you wouldn't have lost.
...you're the guy that comes up to me at tournaments, saying you lost to random people AND DON'T CARE, YOU WEREN'T TRYING, OR YOU DIDN'T GO YOUR "MAIN." Is this not you telling me you're not playing competitively if you're joking around during your matches?

Zfly

Smash Cadet
ok after reading this thread i think i read the phrase
"dont know what cometative means" more thana 5 times
plz someone say what competative means
plz plz plz PLZ

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
"Competitive" refers to meaningful play as described by Caillios. Competitive games are those that take a greater ratio of agon (skill) to alea (chance). Meaningful play will almost always yield the most skilled player as the victor.

From that definition, yeah Brawl and Melee are both competitive. It's pretty obvious who the best players are in Brawl, but it becomes scrambled in the middle.

Kouryuu was mistaking competitive play for competition, which can often mean the same thing. Competition is either described as an event in which people play competitively to produce a champion,
"I got my *** kicked at the competition yesterday."
or it can refer to the amount of people at a tournament,
"There's a lot of competition here."

Competition does not immediately mean something is competitive, but it's understandable to see where it got confused.

Zfly

Smash Cadet
barbie horse adventures 2 can be really competitive if you make it, doesn't make it a competitive game
wwwwwwwooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww
are u serious u really went there?
instead of contributing to the conversation u went ahead and made it more of a joke
CONGRATS MAN
U R THE INSULT MASTER
/CLAP

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
i'm really bored of the melee vs. brawl discussions and everything that goes with it. if you like brawl, go to brawl tournaments if you like melee, host melee tournaments

festizzio

Smash Champion
I'm in complete agreement with Kira right now. I played the game to death, I beat all of single player, I played countless hours online and in quite a few tournaments, I spent hours in training mode trying to come up with some kind of new technique, and I did. Yeah, a new technique. It's called the quick attack cancel. Really nice and mindgamey stuff. But you know what? I STILL don't like it. There's nothing that's going to change that.

You show us a video of Mew2king camping, then say Brawl is the same way. Then why does Mew2king like Melee and hate Brawl? Just saying.

This is purely a personal opinion, and based off of my personal circumstances, but I think a lot of people got into advanced Melee the same way I did:

I started playing Melee as soon as it came out. I played it for about a year or two, then I traded it in to EBgames. That's right, I traded it in because I was bored with it. A while later, I saw a video on youtube of Bombsoldier. I was dazzled, I just could not get over how someone could move so fast and be so precise in their movements. I was entirely sure for a month after that they were playing in lightning Melee.

That's what competitive means to me. Looking at the casual game and then looking at the competitive game and saying, "Are they even playing the same game?" There should be a distinct visual difference between the top player in the world and someone who just bought the game.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Every person is right according to you.
Not you unfortunately.

Why do you talk like you actually do these things? I'm pretty sure some random metaknight sent you to losers on sunday, you know, the one that i beat?
Had you been doing these things, you wouldn't have lost.
When I said I ***** people, I was referring to Melee. You know, the game were I completely **** your ****, be it tourney or MM? Regardless, I also said I didn't intend to boast, just was trying to make a point. You lack reading comprehension skills.

BTW, Congrats on actually beating a random MK. You deserve a pat on the back. Why not put that on your resume of accomplishments so you might have something to boast about.

...you're the guy that comes up to me at tournaments, saying you lost to random people AND DON'T CARE, YOU WEREN'T TRYING, OR YOU DIDN'T GO YOUR "MAIN." Is this not you telling me you're not playing competitively if you're joking around during your matches?
No honestly, I just didn't try cuz I didn't even pay for my entry fee. A friend spotted me the money. A free tournament with nothing to lose and much to gain. And I decided to go MK throughout the tourney. Took the opportunity to try my MK out. And my match against Edge was very intense and competitive since we both fought for the title of best MK.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
i added it in because i knew you would refer to you "****** me" in melee.

Like you did, like a noob, so get read.

And I also added it because you being one of the main brawl supporters, and taking it so serious and getting your butt hurt, people would expect you to be good, yet, i could care less about competitive aspects of Brawl, and i do better than you...

You didn't intend to boast...yet you just said you ***** me..okay.

do you think anything you say through? because i really hope not. if you do, then you have some issues.

Top Bottom