• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a few things to keep in mind

Blindfold_H3ro

Smash Rookie
im going to a weekly tourny today and im maining my zelda. ive been to this tourny before and there are a lot of MK's, Oli's, Diddy's and samus'. i have a pretty good zelda and my hardest matchup out of the chars is vs Oli.

can someone give me some stage advice vs those characters and some general things to keep in mind whil playing against those chars?

if its of any help, i can also use Lucario, Lucas and TL just as well as my Zelda. i would prefer to stay Zelda for the whole tourny though if i could.

i also know that Oli vs Zelda is in Oli's favor

thanks guys !

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Oli is so hard for Zelda. But you need to build momentum - he's so predictable when you get up close. He'll go for a throw or FSmash, so perhaps spotdodge to whatever could be your answer. Don't waste time trying to camp him, and don't bother with reflecting, just dive in and attempt ti gimp him with DSmash.

Diddy I suggest looking around the boards. I wrote a summary in this thread that could help but I havn't checked with the diddy mains at all yet. I know the match is based off of momentum though so get those bananas!

MKs ALWAYS a pain for EVERY character =( he's just at an unfair advantage basically.

Samus should be okay for you, but I have personal problems dealing with her.

EDIT:: omg I forgot to say good luck!!

Blindfold_H3ro

Smash Rookie
thanks man i appreciate it. do you have any stage advice that could be helpful vs Oli or MK ? Mansion perhaps ? i mean im just thinkin that due to the pillars Oli wont be able to pikmin throw and i wouldnt have to worry about that and the pillars help zelda's smashes stay out for so much longer.

any suggestions anyone ?

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
My only suggestion is to bring some chloroform and "take care" of the oli before the tournament even begins. Oli is easily my most feared matchup as a Zelda main...

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I think:

Olimar: Like was said above, Oli is extremely predicable close range. However, I prefer to play a long range game and keep him away and rack up damage with Din. Avoid the pikmin as much as possible. When he's around 60% I like to move in and do a dtilt into dsmash then edgehog. Theoretically that's the best way to go about it IMO, but I don't know how your olimar players play. I'd play olimar in a platform stage, like Battlefield or Smashville. His pikmin throw gets disrupted and you have room to avoid his combos.

Samus: Simple. Build up damage with Din's (same as above). Avoid falling for Samus's missiles and plasma combos. Try your best to avoid them (airdodge or run away). I would say use nayru's love on them, but an experienced Samus player will follow a homing missile with a plasma ball (charged of course), so unless you have impeccable timing, or the Samus is a scrub, I'd just spot-dodge or air dodge them as best you can. Samus is a little tricky to kill on the edge, especially an experienced one. Do your best to keep them away from you and rack up damage. Don't go for a kill until you know it will connect. You should have the upper hand when it comes to spacing your smashes and aerials (except for samus's uair). Luigi's mansion is a great choice for me against samus. Samus can't do much if the mansion is up and you have the upper hand range wise with din's.

MK: Extremely tough fight for anyone. To counter his tornado, a well-charged din's will take him out of it. And if you're feeling gutsy and somehow have a good lead, your Dair will also go through the tornado if you get him from above. Your Fsmash should be able to go through his drill if you space it right. MK is also really prone to a dtilt into a dsmash. if MK trips during the dtilt, an fsmash will take care of that too. You gotta play extremely defensive with MK. Don't get greedy. That's the most important part. I recommend Luigi's mansion here too. Your survivability goes up, and you can refresh your usmash and fsmash with the pillars on the bottom floor. Just be sure to not get caught in a tornado while on the bottom floor and you should do fine.

Diddy: Play with his bananas. If you don't know how to glide toss yet...LEARN IT NOW!!!! Zelda has one of the best glide tosses in the game. If you can pull it off then do a usmash or fsmash, it's game. Really mess with diddy's head and reflect his bananas. It'll catch him offguard, and if you time it right you can follow with a dtilt combo. Edgegame wise, just spam din's. Avoid an edgefight with diddy. Other than that, you shouldn't have too much problem if you can space right. Most of your attacks outrange his. Corneria is a great choice. The crooked ground messes with Diddy's glide tosses, and you also have the bottom part of the stage to do an infinite dtilt against the wall. Plus, the low ceiling allows for easy kills for zelda. Just remember, diddy has the exact same advantage with the low ceiling so don't get hit.

Hope this helps. GL at the tournament.

Spike6sic6

Smash Cadet
I'm a bit new to Zelda, but since Samus is my main, I might be able to provide some help.

Don't try camp vs camp. In other words, don't camp trying to beat her missiles with your Din, if she can possibly spam missiles. As much as it's good, whenever I play Samus vs Zelda I have an easy time, at least from long-range. Din is good if you can use it when Samus is recovering, but if she's just standing still, you'll probably lose. Take in note that if she hits you, your Din is wasted, but if you hit her, her missiles will still be fine by itself. Use a good mix-up of close/long ranged attacks.

I'd say you should also play with your neutral-B. Samus can easily out-projectile Zelda(at least in my opinion). Samus relies on her projectiles a LOT. Also keep in mind, Samus can be good in mid-range too, so either go with close OR long-ranged. in mid-range, her zair can cause you a lot of troubles.

Well, hope it helps, and good luck with that!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Take in note that if she hits you, your Din is wasted, but if you hit her, her missiles will still be fine by itself.
No. If you aim Dins into the ground it will explode when you are hit and still hit your opponent.

Top Bottom