• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Few Raptor Boost Tricks...

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I was recently practicing in training mode when i stumbled across some cool tricks, i apologize if these have been discovered already.... but anyway:

*Certain characters, while hanging on the ledge, leave their heads/body a little bit above the edge, if you raptor boost a character while standing on the ground, instead of falling off like Captain Falcon normally does, he will hit them off the ledge, and since they were so low, they wont be hit to high, which means its easy to combo into a knee or down air and kill them!
i've tested it and it works with these characters:
Mario
Bowser
D.K.
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Meta Knight
Dedede
Olimar
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer (all 3)
Jiggly Puff
Ness
Lucas
if you do it on any other character, Falcon will either raptor boost the air, or he will fall off helplessly

*While an opponent is hanging from the edge, if you time a jump + raptor boost so that Captain Falcon barely lifts off the ground, but is high enough to hit with it, it's an automatic spike, he will hit even the lowest hanging character and then they should have almost no chance of recovering, and even if they can, you can just intercept/edge hog

*A final trick, when using the raptor boost off the ledge, you should fall down helplessly, but if you do the automatic edgehog (run off stage, quarter cirlce backwords on control stick) it works too! so how is this beneficial?
1) It is kinda easier than a dashing edgehog since he runs so fast.... (i have a hard time doing it with the dash, i usually do it to early, causing him to turn around before he runs off) there is no way to turn around with the raptor boost so you don't have to worry about that.

2)You also don't have to worry about when to use your raptor boost. If an opponent is close to the edge, you wouldn't normally use it since your opponent could spot dodge/jump and you'd end up dead...

Well thats it, i hope these 3 techniques helps all us falcon mains, and yet again, sorry if it was already known..... i do not have any recording device, so no videos, unless i send my replay to somebody...

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The first one sounds nice, but what's the best way to space it (where should you start the raptor boost from) for minimum chance of suicide in case they jump or drop before you get to the ledge? (Won't matter if the third one is what I think it might be saying)

The second one is a tactic already posted (I think by Ayaz18 but I'm not positive).

For the third one, are you saying to do a quarter circle after an onstage-going-offstage raptor boost and it will grab the edge instead of suicide?

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
Well I don't actually know the best spacing, but from my testings, i noticed that for smaller characters such as jiggs, you have to do it pretty close, captain Falcon unleashes the raptor boost too early on her for some reason.... but for dk, almost any distance works, as long as it reaches the edge...
Yes, if you quickly fast fall and press back, Captain Falcon will automatically grab the edge instead of suiciding... but you have to do it fast, so its easier to just do a quarter circle backwords... i will see if i can make a vid, not 100% sure though

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
Hmm i was thinking about giving the first one a name... i dunno, ledge lifter? Raptor lift? lol something easy to remember i guess :p

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Ledge Lift (not Lifter) and Raptor Lift both sound fine to me. Does it actually hit them low enough for any true combos though? If not it's probably better to just use the second one.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
well, against certain chars, yes, i managed to combo a dk into a knee/spike.... ill test some more and post some more info though

Psychoace

Smash Champion
NICE! You can mindgame like crazy now. I don't know how efficient the first one will be though as you have to wait until after the invincible frames to do it and by then most people will have done something else by then. That raptor save is nice though. That's not hard to do at all it just takes some timing.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
hmmm, well the third one is basically supposed to be used to save you from falling off if somebody dodges your raptor boost, using it for edge hogging can be pretty risky, since you can jump back.... well, if you master the timing, it shouldn't be too hard to do, and well, you can use it to edge hog i guess.
and the first one is to use against those annoying players who stay there and keep regrabbing the edge, if you get close, they attack you... just time it well and lift them up! :p

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
oops, double posted, is there a way to delete a post? >.<

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
so what happens if you miss...it seems way too risky for serious matches. can you clear this up for me?

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
Well thats where the 3rd technique comes in, you can grab the edge if you miss (keep in mind your opponent must no be on the edge, so i suggest ledge lifting only when your opponent keeps hanging around there trying to get you by surprise, it'll get them by surprise instead) so master all 3 techniques, and you should be able to effectively edge guard with the raptor boost

deatscythe6

Smash Rookie
Very awesome and it can help advance the playstyles of many falcon mains out there, but do you recommend it during matches against other people after about 20 rounds of practice?

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
Do you know whether the "ledge lifting" works on all stages? Seems like yoshi's island might send you flying off cause of the somewhat slanted edges.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
Nevermind, just tested it out and it works perfectly on yoshi's island, lylat, and pictochat. I think those are the only nuetral/counterpicks so this might be a very nice new tech. Also the raptor boost should hit your opponent if they decide to do a ledgehop which is very nice.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is being able to grab the ledge after doing a grounded raptor boost off the edge. You say you can do a quarter circle turn and it makes him grab it?

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
yeah, it's the same thing as normal edge hogging while running off of it, just fast fall and hold back, doing the "haduken" backwards ensures fast input, but you need perfect timing....
I was trying to find a way to do this easier, it seems I found a way, though it still doesn't work 100% for me, meh, could be just my bad timing, but anyway:
I use the wiimote + nunchunk, so idk if this will work for other controls. but when using the raptor boost off the edge, i hold back on the control stick, and keep pressing down on the d-pad (down on dpad is assigned to down smash, which causes fast falling when used in the air) and it works easier, but i guess you have to time the fast fall perfectly, so either press it very fast, or memorize the exact timing. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom