• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Demon seeks information on a man who fights for his friends.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:evil:
I won't be using the funky weird collored font that you normally see when I post stuff, only because this is a new post and if I want help, people should be able to read my questions.

I know I should be looking through the proper channels for this information, but I wanted to ask the players if they could give me any specific information that I did not already know myself. I am NOT an Ike main. It's not that I don't like him or any thing (I mained Roy in Melee and I rather like Ike's power increase, despite the speed and technique speed decrease). I just naturally flow with the Power of Aura. Lucario's my dude.

But I've seen Ike do lots of things that not even Lucario can replicate. Ike kills much faster in Multiman-Brawl. He can kill people at much lower percents. His weight lets him last longer on the battlefield (although he might be easier to chaingrab). He can do some pretty impressive moves.

But the biggest thing I noted is something I want to make use of personally. Ike is one of my secondary-4s (alongside Mario, Pit and Sonic). I plan on using him as a counter-pick when the situation requires it. And one of the situations where I think I can utalize him well would be against a character that ***** me.

Lucario doesn't seem to be truly disadvantaged by many. It's usually a matter of player skill. I know once I improve myself more, I'll be able to battle them on a much even plateau, but for right now, Ice-Climbers and their chaingrabs absolutely **** me. I've seen Ikes that can take them pretty well though, due to the fast and strong jab to seperate them, lots of weight to live through kill moves (although if he gets grabbed too much he might be just as bad off against them as Lucario is), and incredibly strong tilts and aerials to kill with (I don't even need to mention the specials and smashes, do I?). But I'm not as proficient with him as I need to be myself. I like him, but I need to get better with Ike if I wish to properly use that power.

So I'd like to know : A)What specifically can I do, other than practicing like a maniac and brawling as much as possible, to improve my Ike? And B)Since I plan on using him whenever Lucario fails to stop an Ice-Climber, are there any specific tips I should keep in mind when facing them?

I don't mean to cheat by using another character specifically in tournament play for 1 bad match up (which usually comes from simply personal inexperience), and I don't mean to be lazy by just asking for help instead of figuring it out for myself. But any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
A) Spacing, spacing, spacing, and more spacing. Learning his grab releases in the frame data topic (going to have to dig through a few pages to find it as it's not pinned for some odd reason), and learning his IASA frames.

B) Jab. Jab is good. Very good. Don't even think about using any moves with a fair bit of lag. Retreating fairs to space the ICs. Either shield or jab back the ice blocks. Stay on the platforms so you won't get spiked to your death, and have a better chance of lasting until the ICs mess up, as they now have to rack up more damage if they want to CG -> KO you. Once they are separated, kill Nana ASAP.

You really should have just looked through the topics though. >_>

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
fsmash is a very important move in this match. It will kill Nana 40-50%

grab > pummel > bthrow > Hit Popo via dash attack or jab (depends on who was thrown) and if Popo gets hit away fsmash Nana then.

Always space fairs away and jab cancel a lot. Spacing Nairs works too since ICs grab range is pitiful.

ALWAYS abuse how Nana has a delayed reaction and abuse your lingering hitboxes.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I hope no one who wants to play compeditively plans to use just the Wiimote. The Classic-Controller is better than the Wiimote alone, and even still, it seems overly complicated. The Wiimote is too simple, and seems more difficult to use than it should be. Attaching the Nun-chuck to it make it worth playing though, but the Game-Cube controller is probably the best way to play. It certainly lets me short-hop much easier, allowing me to fight much more effeciently and far less predictably using my aerials, which has helped me not only in my Lucario match ups, but all of them in general. Any specific combos that can be used to get the job done for Ike?

Also, I think I might experiment with using a Yellow-Font with :flame: at the front and back of it, instead of my demon font. A reference to my picture that might still match my name. Any suggestions on that?

Also, what specifically should Ike's specials be used for? They seem as high-risk/high-return as Lucario himself is.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
aura sphere is great to spam, eruption is fail to spam, or even use without planning to eat some damage in the process.

Up B for Lucario is stupid to do besides recovering, Ike's its ANTI-AERIAL and great at stopping aerial approaches. (minus AD)

Side B is a spacing tactic for Ike, (although it still sucks) while Lucario is a CG at low %s and a kill move at higher %'s

Down B is lol counter and they both suck and take long to start.

From what i see, Lucario is low risk-mid reward while Ike is high risk-mid reward

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
I was refering to Lucario himself as High-Risk/High-Return, being that he's better the closer to death you bring him, and how Ike's Specials, much like his Smashes, are so slow yet so devistatingly powerful, it's sometimes as chancy as a high-risk game of Strip-Poker. But any specific reasons I should be pulling out Eruption and the other specials against the Ice-Climbers, or should I just stick to aerials and jabs to do damage, and tilts to kill?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Also, I think I might experiment with using a Yellow-Font with :flame: at the front and back of it, instead of my demon font. A reference to my picture that might still match my name. Any suggestions on that?
i recommend spending less time on your font

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well, Ike's specials are no good.... His forward smash is high risk high reward then then rest of his move set besides jab is mid to high risk - mid reward

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was refering to Lucario himself as High-Risk/High-Return, being that he's better the closer to death you bring him, and how Ike's Specials, much like his Smashes, are so slow yet so devistatingly powerful, it's sometimes as chancy as a high-risk game of Strip-Poker. But any specific reasons I should be pulling out Eruption and the other specials against the Ice-Climbers, or should I just stick to aerials and jabs to do damage, and tilts to kill?
Eruption is only useful in 2 situations-->1. When your opponent has no other choice but to come towards you in the air in some way (like from offstage), position yourself for eruption and release it if they try to hit you or out of the opponent's air dodge.

2. As a very rare edgeguard. I recommend jumping before charging. Use it more against people who like to ledge release hop. There are plenty more safer options than this, but if you feel like switching things up... Eruption's hitbox on ICs when they're hanging on the ledge is surprisingly long, so try it once and see what happens, if you really feel like it.

Against ICs, I really advocate outspacing with fair. There's no reason to get real close at all, so don't =). Tilts executed randomly won't work. They're most useful to punish air dodges or tilted downward for edgeguarding. Try not to be too crazy with jabs against ICs, but use it with a little more caution than normal.

Palpi

Smash Hero
The only thing you have to worry about is have your opponent smash DI out of the third hit of your jab combo. (if you somehow do it slowly or hit it from afar) It still is pretty much the lowest risk move for ike in this match up. Maybe 2nd to retreating fairs.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Hrm.

First off I have to say it is interesting that you put Ike as your secondary without knowing much about him :)

Anyways, Jab is Ike's bread and butter. Use it librally in any matchup. Ike actually has an advantage in the IC forum, 60:40 for Ike. This is because of retreating F-Airs mainly, although F-Smash and other aerials do **** up Nana because of her delayed reaction. U-Smash and N-Air I have to mention are great at seperating the IC's. You mainly want to jab, and go for the kill on Nana early on. It will not be hard to do. Also note that applying Aether is useful in this matchup because of the seperation of the IC's. They have a devestating CG on you though, which is nulled if you use retreating F-Airs properly. If you space right, you win the match. Eruption can be used in the match up as an unexpected attack. With SAF's It makes for a great ace in the hole.

Anyway, that's all I have on IC's for a moment. Just PS the Ice Blocks (Shield or Jab works too) If you do not space you will be destroyed by IC smashes and CG's.

Two cents.

Top Bottom