• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A couple annoyances about Peach's float mechanics that I could use help with.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
1. Is there a magic trick to using parasol without losing your float if you still have it? I know that just tilting the stick up can work but it's frustrating. I just noticed that up-bing removes my float and I rly cud use that thing if I still have it and make it to the ledge y'kno.

heeeelp~

2. Does anyone else have troubles w/ double jumping to momentum cancel but dying sometimes b/c we somehow go into float first instead of a jump?

Do I just tap jump as soon possible?

Maybe flick the jump button like a buffered grab?

Idk it's annoying.

There's probably more small dumb **** that annoys me but these are the only ones that are irritating me a little for now.

Assistance peach boards @_@

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Actually I feel both of those problems are attributed to having tap jump on. I've never suffered problem one. When I tested with a tap jump scheme the float would sometimes be used in the process of using UpB. It's an incidental thing that seems to almost always happen during the input. For problem two Peach probably floats when you're trying to get the jump as quick as possible(rapid up presses maybe, trying to survive can bring that out in ya) and floating ruins the MC'ing. I don't play with tap jump and I've never encountered any of these problems. Hm not sure about any workaround for problem one. I don't want to be rude and tell you to play without tap jump since people learned the game their own way. Problem two will be a matter of learning the instant you jump so you can make sure you can begin fast falling after the jump.

Edited after playing around with it a little more

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Problem two is really annoying when it happens.

Sounds like you are pressing the control stick down the moment you try to jump o.0 How do you momentum cancel? Each person does it a little bit differently.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
>.> oops I assumed you did when I saw "Do I just tap jump as soon possible?" lol, sorry. Hmm I really don't see how you you could lose your float when tap is off unless you happen to hold up on the Analog too long before pressing B. Try making sure your timing between those two inputs is tighter so you don't accidentally float. Hmm same with problem two. The only way I see you accidentally floating is from holding your jump button too long during your taps. Xey could be right too though. Then it's a matter of learning to react quicker the instant you know Peach is starting her jump animation. The best way to avoid that during your MC'ing is maybe using this method Uair, Jump, Fastfall keep it step by step and only move on to the next one when you know the animation for the previous step has started.

Edit: sorry for my paragraph posts D: lol

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Both problems are very irritating but like Meno said, problem 2 is by far the worst when it happens, its got me killed countless times when I could have survived, especially on Wi Fi where its easy to accidently buffer/hold onto jump too long and start Floating. Its even easier to do if you're fastfalling which you should be doing. You have to time tapping jump so that you don't accidently hold onto jump and start Floating

Problem 1 is solved by pressing Up and B together or tilting Up like you said because pressing Up causes you to start Floating

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
tilting up can still make me float. =(

well i solved problem 1 for myself. you can't lose your float if your momentum is going upwards so messing around in training mode I just started double jumping and up'bing asap lol.

and problem 2...maybe i am holding down sometimes and I guess we do just have to tap it. i'm just making sure it's not just me being a noob. xD

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
They're both very easy mistakes to make and come to think of it, I've always wondered why I don't have my Float when I've Up + B'ed to the ledge, despite being positive that I'd saved my Float for use at the ledge and hitting Up is probably the reason why

The second problem really blows because its a easy mistake to make when things get frantic and it causes you to die horribly early

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure you're not DIing up, and holding up for too long as you fly off, causing you too float instead of MCing? It doesn't sound like you are but I used to do that and it was a pain.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Problem 2 is alleviated by jumping with X rather than Up. You get knocked away and hold up to DI, then presss X to double jump after momentum canceling. If you use control stick to DI and X to jump you won't accidentally float.

I THINK this works. I never encounter problem 2 and that's how I do it, so I figure maybe it works. try it.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Problem 2 is alleviated by jumping with X rather than Up. You get knocked away and hold up to DI, then presss X to double jump after momentum canceling. If you use control stick to DI and X to jump you won't accidentally float.

I THINK this works. I never encounter problem 2 and that's how I do it, so I figure maybe it works. try it.
I don't think he has tap jump on.

Do you float instantly instead of using your mid air jump, or jump then float? If the former, you have to be holding down when you do the double jump. I see no other way that could happen. If your jumping then floating, making sure your not holding up when you get to the peak of your double jump and don't hold X. Thats never happened to me.

For the parasol thing, just hit B sooner. If you hit up then wait too long to press B, you float first. Utilizing your mid air jump jump first should solve the problem, assuming you still have it. You should try to get into the habit of pressing B faster.

Again, I've never had either of these problems, but when trying to recreate them in training mode (jumping off the stage and experimenting with Parasol and momentum canceling) this is all I could come up with.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yeah it's a little trippy but i'll just try to get into the habit of pressing b faster and using my DJ if i still have it. ty lol

Top Bottom