• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Compromise on MK Legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I dunno, how is the ref going to determine if you did ANY illegal maneuver?

CoolBro57: *Punches opponent in the face*
UmadCryBaby55: Hey not fair, I'm calling a ref! HEY MLGMASTER26 THIS GUY PUNCHED ME!!

-Nothing happens-
Honestly, thats not even the type of thing a tournament needs to deal with. Its already illegal to physically attack people. Assuming you aren't bruised or bleeding or willing to physically retaliate, you should just call the cops and let them deal with it. I'm sure "no i didn't punch him" is handled thousands of times a year in the US so I wouldn't have a TO worry about it.

If we are going to delve into things that are already illegal, we might as well add a "no terrorism" clause to the ruleset and follow it up with "don't **** people" rule. Tournament rules should only deal with what isn't already under someone's jurisdiction.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Do we really want to be immoral here?

There is obviously a difference in morality when it comes to circle camping and unplugging someone's controller

First off, the guy who does this will most like end up being rejected from entering further tournaments if he repeatedly does this offense.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Good job attacking the example instead of the point.

Replace "punching" with "unplugging their controller", happy?
That's our point. Proving someone unplugged your controller is pretty hard (assuming it's plugged back in, and even so the opponent would argue you unplugged it yourself)

Tesh's rule is a lot easier to implement since a ref can just even go into the game's menu and look at the control scheme.

:phone:

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That's our point. Proving someone unplugged your controller is pretty hard (assuming it's plugged back in, and even so the opponent would argue you unplugged it yourself)
Yet it is still banned.

@Ussi
But there is no difference in enforcibility, which is the point I am trying to make.

I have yet to hear one good argument why my Hanenbow rule wouldn't work given the standards set by our current rule-set.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Yet it is still banned.

@Ussi
But there is no difference in enforcibility, which is the point I am trying to make.

I have yet to hear one good argument why my Hanenbow rule wouldn't work given the standards set by our current rule-set.
But there is!!!, Did you even read my post??.?

Counting how many times a platform is used requires a ref to inspect the whole match

The no-b MK rule just requires a few seconds in the in-game menu!!! You don't even have to start a match!!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There is, you can't intend to sneak a special with MK without your control scheme being exposed to be checked.

You can't check circle camping if there isn't infinite replays which requires hacking the game, which cannot be standard.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You know what, let's just start again. You guys are obviously getting confused because I'm awful at typing.

My point: If you are going to use this surgical rule to increase game depth, what is wrong with using a rule that limits the amount of times you can land on Hanenbow's top left platform? This rule is equally as enforceable as almost every other rule in our current recommended ruleset.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Nice try Grim, how about giving an example of something in game. Its still illegal to mess with other people's property without their permission. Now obviously the cops wouldn't do anything about it because its so silly, but the point still stands.

I hear ADHD stands when he plays (i do to because I use wiichuck and there isnt always space to sit). What if I do something stupid like....pulling his pants down while he is playing (kids dont wear belts these days anyway). How is a ref going to prove that? I could easily say he pulled them down on his own and intended to violate the "don't **** people" rule as well.

In any case you are STILL attacking someone else's rule, not mine. The examples you give AND the point you are making don't compare to what I suggested. My suggested rule makes proof readily available in the event of a dispute. You want a forensic team to come in an fingerprint controllers to see who touched what.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm attacking someone else's rule under the assumption that you agree with those rules. Do you not agree that King Dedede should only be able to infinite Donkey Kong to 300% (in-game example for you)?

I have no problem with your rule, I'm just asking what makes yours so much better than mine?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
That rule is to stop stalling. Something which is agreeable on throughout the community.

Or is everyone wrong here now?

FoxFireMage

Smash Apprentice
You know what, let's just start again. You guys are obviously getting confused because I'm awful at typing.

My point: If you are going to use this surgical rule to increase game depth, what is wrong with using a rule that limits the amount of times you can land on Hanenbow's top left platform? This rule is equally as enforceable as almost every other rule in our current recommended ruleset.
Cuz MK the way he is cancerous to the community, not having Hannenbow on the stage list is not

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That rule is to stop stalling. Something which is agreeable on throughout the community.

Or is everyone wrong here now?
Purpose of rule = irrelevant. I am comparing enforceability.

Cuz MK the way he is cancerous to the community, not having Hannenbow on the stage list is not
Why would we not add extra depth to the game, if given the chance?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
When comes down to it, there is no logical reason why anything is relevant. Its what we as a community want.

FoxFireMage

Smash Apprentice
Why would we not add extra depth to the game, if given the chance?
We can, but first we should we should talk about how legitimately this proposal is. Then we can discuss Hanenbow, or better yet, make your own proposed rules about stages not on the list on a separate topic...

Tesh

Smash Hero
I already stated why my rule is more enforceable than yours. You haven't listed an example thats even close to enforceable. Your version of my rule would ban using tornado consecutively (similar purpose but you can't prove it happened) or maxing out the range on drill rush or hitting people with shuttle loop.

There is no switch for circle camping. Its not the same level of enforceability.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
When comes down to it, there is no logical reason why anything is relevant. Its what we as a community want.
What.

We can, but first we should we should talk about how legitimately this proposal is. Then we can discuss Hanenbow, or better yet, make your own proposed rules about stages not on the list on a separate topic...
Ok.

I already stated why my rule is more enforceable than yours. You haven't listed an example thats even close to enforceable. Your version of my rule would ban using tornado consecutively (similar purpose but you can't prove it happened) or maxing out the range on drill rush or hitting people with shuttle loop.

There is no switch for circle camping. Its not the same level of enforceability.
Read:

I'm attacking someone else's rule under the assumption that you agree with that other person's rule. Do you not agree that King Dedede should only be able to infinite Donkey Kong to 300% (in-game example for you)?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What you get spiked onto the platform, does that count? Or you got hit into the platform and couldn't avoid it

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The game has changed from removing his stocks to making him touch the top platform X amount of times.

Even then, shouldn't it only matter if the game goes to time?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Anyways, let me reiterate my initial point in supporting this

MK should be banned, but has been around for 3 years. Those years of usage would all been of waste if MK is completely removed from the game.

Hanebow is already banned, and no one wants to see it again.

No one seems to be support the idea of bringing back Hanebow either, while there is some.. legitimacy in just banning MK's specials over banning MK completely.

FoxFireMage

Smash Apprentice
Hasn't anyone just considered that maybe...just maybe, this Hanenbow rule is stupid? It's not fully enforceable, unlike no MK specials. No one is pushing for it, whereas a massive part of the community wants something done about MK. The list goes on

Tesh

Smash Hero
And I already said, I don't agree with TOs having rules that overlap with the jurisdiction of a city, state or country. The conduct rules are mostly common sense and reminders of the type of good behavior you should have at any public place.

You first post in this thread has already been discussed and dismantled. You compared my suggestion to several things that aren't as enforceable.

As for landing on the top platforms on Hanenbow, the game doesn't keep a count of that so you would also need to determine what counts as landing. Do Lucas and Yoshi's double jumps exploits count? How about Sonic/Metaknight's Upsmash? These rhetorical questions are perfect examples of why your rule wouldn't be enforceable or clear.

Mine is simple, effective and clear. The only relevant argument so far is that some think it goes too far.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Shouldn't this just technically work over other rules because it works as an in-game option, like how we have jurisdiction over items, team attack, etc?

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
The community wanting something doesn't make that thing good. The community has made some pretty dumb decisions before because the community is inept at seeing itself objectively.

FoxFireMage

Smash Apprentice
The community wanting something doesn't make that thing good. The community has made some pretty dumb decisions before because the community is inept at seeing itself objectively.
You said in your first post you don't play Smash, therefore you have no right to comment on what the Smash community should do for itself

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
You said in your first post you don't play Smash, therefore you have no right to comment on what the Smash community should do for itself
I've kinda already commented on this but this is why Evo didn't want you back. Your inability to take constructive criticism combined with elitism about applying nonsensical rules to a video game preemptively makes the community look awful.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i'm not gonna defend what previous smashers may have said about evo, but we looked at Evo as a joke, mainly because items were on.. Not to mention mainly the inbalanced items were on. (dunno if our ISP was made then though)

Granted i wouldn't be so crude about it then, but whats done is done.

anyways, i'm not attacking your points.

FoxFireMage

Smash Apprentice
I could honestly care less about Evo not doing Brawl. How we as a community run our game is no other competitive games business, especially as Smash in general is a unique system in itself that has no other franchise has. Combined with the fact we have no backing from Nintendo, means we must patrol ourselves

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Having something like Evo is really good for the community though.. As was MLG.

Granted the whole nintendo not supporting us is what kills us the most. Makes it hard for to get/have Evo/MLG support

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Based on discussion among the rest of the staff this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom