• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Casual proposal

Raustblackdragon

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I STILL don't agree with psychology of absolutely no items, but I've come to accept that that's the way you do things in tournaments. However, When I first heard about the tier list, I thought it was based off of gameplay in general, not just in tournaments. If the tier list will not take things like smash balls into account, I propose a SECONDARY tier list for casual play, with items like smash balls on.

Why?

Because with new features like the smash ball and a huge abundance of new items, these two tier lists would be more distinct than ever. Quality of the final smash, ability to get a smash ball (Which relies on aerial game) and things like that will make these two tier lists modestly different from each other.

this is also in the interest of all Pro-tiers, as if only one tier list is made, the one for tournament play, then casual gamers will greatly doubt the tier's validity. If a second tier list is made, this will not be a problem.

Here's an example of things that would change in the casual tier list:

Pit:

New Pros: Excellent at getting smash balls, and can make dives off the course for them with ease, etc.
New Con: His Hammer animation only has a 90 degree area of effect. His back is completely exposed.

Characters that have good item throwing power, excellent aerial games for smash balls, and high speed for running after items would be brought up on this casual tier list.

I know there are strong arguments over whether or not items reflect the PLAYER'S skill, there is little doubt that playing with items makes some CHARACTERS better than normal.

So I casually propose a secondary, Casual Brawl Tier List.

M.K

Level 55
Developing a tier list takes a LONG time. While I somewhat agree with your proposal, I can't help but think they won't develop an entire NEW tier list that won't be applied in any circumstance.

Soc

Smash Rookie
The problem with this idea is that tier lists are based on the metagame, of competitive people playing at the current peak of characters performance. It is impossible to develop a "tier list" for casual play because the level of skill in question varies over a large spectrum. Different characters will come easier to different people so no real conclusions can be drawn. Similarly, it is impossible to develop a secondary "with items" tier list because, again, the tier lists are drawn from long periods of performance by the best of the best which gives a reasonably accurate picture of where characters fall. In order to develop such a tier list including characters performance with items there would have to be a substantial number of tournaments and competitions in which items are used. Since such tournaments are rare/nowhere to be seen we will never be able to compile something like that.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
Tier lists draw the majority of their data from the results of tournaments. There are a vastly larger number of competitively organized tournaments. If you want to make your own ranking list, that's great, but don't consider it a "tier" list in the same sense of the word.

RizardoLawless

Smash Journeyman
Make it yourself. If you did something like that for Melee, fox would still probably be the best. He has his blaster and the Uair

Raustblackdragon

Smash Apprentice
Make it yourself. If you did something like that for Melee, fox would still probably be the best. He has his blaster and the Uair
I don't doubt that.

Okay, I'll make it myself.

It'll be judged based on how many of a character's moves are above average, and how many are below, and then how well they can handle things like smash balls and weapons.

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
I agree with this idea. I've played both was and I think there could be some vast differences in the two lists.

For example, slower characters might be lower on an items list because they have a harder time getting items.

The question is... who would make it? I doubt that SBR has enough experience with items on to make one.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
i think you have your terms mixed up buddy. Being a casual player doesn't necessarily mean you play with items.

Casual player means someone who doesn't care about becoming better at a game but just plays it to pass time.

since you care enough about making a tier list for item play would suggest you are a competitive player for item play.

secondly, your method of making the tier list has holes in it. Tier list suggests the rank of characters which could be only determined by years of competitive play. so ssince you are doing it for item play, then have years of data of competitive item play tournaments to formulate your list.

not so easy anymore eh?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I love you. o_o

:laugh: lol all jokes aside. This idea is brilliant. You have no idea how tired I am of people making fun of me because I main bottom tier characters, wether I own everyone in my class with him or not. There needs to be a casual tier list of SOME kind.

Raustblackdragon

Smash Apprentice
i think you have your terms mixed up buddy. Being a casual player doesn't necessarily mean you play with items.

Casual player means someone who doesn't care about becoming better at a game but just plays it to pass time.

since you care enough about making a tier list for item play would suggest you are a competitive player for item play.

secondly, your method of making the tier list has holes in it. Tier list suggests the rank of characters which could be only determined by years of competitive play. so ssince you are doing it for item play, then have years of data of competitive item play tournaments to formulate your list.

not so easy anymore eh?
Fair enough.

But while casual doesn't necessarily mean items, professional definitely means no items.

And I know my tier list idea has holes in it, but I don't have the knowledge of hundreds of thousands of people.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Fair enough.

But while casual doesn't necessarily mean items, professional definitely means no items.

And I know my tier list idea has holes in it, but I don't have the knowledge of hundreds of thousands of people.
Try the Casual Competition League Items Standard League.

Top Bottom