• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A breath away from chain-grabbing Ness

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm back at it again in trying to find SOMETHING to keep Samus moving forward. Seems like the developers did everything they could to keep her from taking advantage of physics in Brawl.

Anyways, I was screwing around in training mode trying to find some more FRAME TRAPS to put in the topic (so this is inspired by that topic) when I *almost* discovered a chain grab on Ness.

It's super hard to pull off, extremely risky and maybe wouldn't even work. But it's worth a try. First off I came up with what I believe is a frame trap:

FF or lagless falling Zair -> Running grapple
(hit them with a short zair, not the outstretched one)

The zair will stun them back and without lag you can buffer a running grapple. It works on a lot of the characters and is really good for getting them off the stage, or at Luigi's mansion setting up for the jab lock.

I got to thinking maybe it could be produced into a chain grab, but only on those who can be grab released. So I pick Wario but my stupid training mode will not have him grab release. He just goes to the ground. I could have sworn samus has a grab release -> plasma shot but my game just won't do it. SO I chose Ness instead.

THE ALMOST CHAIN GRAB ON NESS
FF Zair -> Running grapple -> Pummel

HARD PART: When Ness is grab released, AS SOON AS YOU CAN DO A SHORT HOP, TILT SLIGHTLY TO NESS' DIRECCTION, then fast fall a zair.

If done correctly, you'll hit the ff zair and be able to do another running grapple.

I think my brother di'd out of it or something. But it was worth a shot. Maybe it will inspire others to shoot for more. I mean, Pikachus just found new chain grabs on the top tiers, that means there is still hope with a lot of practice.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Just to help you; we dont normally have a grab release on wario.

But on a stage with a slant, we can grab release into pretty much anything.... even a Fsmash angled up.

Most notably we can grab release to spike on yoshis island's edges. (best neutral stage to take wario to)

As far as this ness thing... if you have time to Zair, it would almost always be better to charge shot, dsmash or Dair. Because a non-sweetspotted Zair and samus pummels are real weak. I dont know how ness' release works against samus though.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
T.T only if we hade a chain like pika. They recently discovered crazy *** cgs. Like for instence, pika can cg falco from 0-104% and much (much) more (pika for top tier)..... Only if.........

MRS1

Smash Journeyman
haha cool man. you could test wario in basic brawl with the 2player controller right? either way cool find, if only for the initial frame trap. i will learn it.

J4pu

Smash Champion
when samus grabs people she holds them at her waist which means their feet are on the ground which means they don't release to the air.
I was looking for air-release > CS a while ago, doesn't work

if your opponent is spamming the jump button he might air-release or if you are grabbing them over the edge, also you can't be pummeling for the air release to work.

Hive

Smash Lord
sounds neat ^^ but I'm pretty sure that with proper mashing the ness should be able to airdodge/jump out of it ^^
Still I'll have to give it a try, there was something like this I was messing around with earlier, its still good if it works most of the time even if its not a fullon technical cg, but I'll have to see ^^

I think Ref posted grab release data awhile ago in tactical that tells you what the best ways to mash out and what the minimum times are, I'm pretty sure that ness should be able to get out though...

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Yea they have a decent opening to jump out. You ahve to really hit the zair correctly and then just about buffer a running grapple.

But if we could perfect it, it could be a decent way to get people off the stage.

Top Bottom