• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'd say that it's possible...but which ones?
Er, maybe counter materia would cause your characters to lash out with an attack when hit like the Counter power in KI:U? And isn't there materia that just gives boosts to stats?

You got somethin' ya don't like with muh 'nado boy? :drflip:

If nothing else though, I find it strangely fitting that I would get hyped over the wielder of a Buster Sword, while I play Shulk with his Buster Art. I wonder, who would win that battle?
(My guess is that Shulk's mobility will be a huge problem for Cloud players.)
I also wonder how well Cloud will handle projectile users...
The SOLDIER-issued slide lets him dodge projectiles or he can blade beam to pester back. I think he'll do fine.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
You got somethin' ya don't like with muh 'nado boy? :drflip:

If nothing else though, I find it strangely fitting that I would get hyped over the wielder of a Buster Sword, while I play Shulk with his Buster Art. I wonder, who would win that battle?
(My guess is that Shulk's mobility will be a huge problem for Cloud players.)
I also wonder how well Cloud will handle projectile users...
I just thought Shulk's intro is incredibly underwhelming, no offense.
I'm not going into speculation on how Cloud will match up because we really won't know until we get our hands on him.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Er, maybe counter materia would cause your characters to lash out with an attack when hit like the Counter power in KI:U? And isn't there materia that just gives boosts to stats?

The SOLDIER-issued slide lets him dodge projectiles or he can blade beam to pester back. I think he'll do fine.
Wouldn't that be so broken if for some stupid reason the slide could let him pass underneath Samus' Charge Shot unharmed? :troll:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That would make a lot of sense

Actually, it does not.

Look at his left leg when he does the slide; it pretty damn high.

The only reason he could dodge Samus's missile was because of how high it was.

Could work for some projectiles though.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Counter materia just gives an edge to characters with a counter move.

May as well add Phoenix so it gives you a free new stock to your current amount as well.

Or add in the dbl and quad cut materia so all your attacks do 2-4 times more damage.

Project Crysis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cryis45
3DS FC
1521-5275-7397
Looking at it now I'm very glad doesn't have a flipping counter, he's the second sword wielding character to not have one -__- unless you count the pits as sword wielders.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Cloud's down tilt looks like it's even lower profile than Luigi's crouch, so he'll likely be able to slide past Fox and Falco lasers as well at the very least. May be able to dodge pikmin even!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now you know what Cloud needs? A palette with a Ribbon.

Wouldn't that be so broken if for some stupid reason the slide could let him pass underneath Samus' Charge Shot unharmed? :troll:
That's called a forward roll.

Actually, it does not.

Look at his left leg when he does the slide; it pretty damn high.

The only reason he could dodge Samus's missile was because of how high it was.

Could work for some projectiles though.
Even then he'll likely get a favorable trade with the placement of his kicking foot. Actually, there are probably some non-projectile moves it could dodge too.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Cloud's down tilt looks like it's even lower profile than Luigi's crouch, so he'll likely be able to slide past Fox and Falco lasers as well at the very least. May be able to dodge pikmin even!
i think someone compared him to kirby ducking and he is just slightly taller than that.

I really wish someone would do a side by side comparison of ike and cloud cause im sick of people saying his moves are just ike copies

But then he'd be immune to status effects, and thus op.
Unless he meant the pink ribbon he wares in AC

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Aside from Dtilt to Uair (which might not even be a real combo) I haven't seen much other combo moves.
I hope he has a good amount of combos and mobility. As much as Ike at least.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Random thought, but I kinda wish Cloud's jab was 2x-Cut or 4x-Cut instead of the 'kick kick slash' jab he has now. That would have been a nice little reference to the standard Attack command and Command Materia from the actual game.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Looking at it now I'm very glad doesn't have a flipping counter, he's the second sword wielding character to not have one -__- unless you count the pits as sword wielders.
5th. :4link::4tlink::4metaknight: and :4robinm: before him :p
Best way to describe :4pit::4darkpit: is to call them Bow users.

BTW, hello SOLDIERs! As it seems extremely likely that I'll switch my secondary to :4cloud:, I'll be around the boards here from here on out.
I main white mage Robin as well (even though Robin would be more of a Mystic Knight as Sakurai put it a while back)

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Aside from Dtilt to Uair (which might not even be a real combo) I haven't seen much other combo moves.
I hope he has a good amount of combos and mobility. As much as Ike at least.
I'm sure he'll have a few, like maybe d-throw into Climhazard.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's a thought. Do you guys think Cloud will return in Smash 5?

Also, do you think he'll have a Zack alt if he returns?

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Random thought, but I kinda wish Cloud's jab was 2x-Cut or 4x-Cut instead of the 'kick kick slash' jab he has now. That would have been a nice little reference to the standard Attack command and Command Materia from the actual game.
I think his fsmash is a reference to those

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Sleep? Slow? Head-flower-thingie?
Magius doesn't use items. All other effects are generally avoidable. Sleep? Nonexistent. Slow? What attacks inflict slow? Poison? Rare occurence in like 1 or 2 matchups.

What status effects are there now?

Tri Knight

Smash Ace

Good question. I was thinking about that recently as well. I think yes beca use why not. IF not, there would be an outrage.

Smash used to be all about Nintendo. But Sakurai is a visionary apparently. And because of that, Smash now represents the best of the best. The most well renowned characters in video game history. And Cloud easily sits in top 10 most recognizable video game characters. Hes actually probably even top 5.

But that's like another 10 years away anyway so who cares at this point. By that time, Noctis might be the new mainstream FF character lol at least until FF7 remake comes out and makes him irrelevant again. ;)

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
So, I was thinking.

In an interview a while back for the new Dissidia, Tetsuya Nomura (who does the Dissidia artworks) talked about how he was asked to do a few non-mainline series artwork portraits for characters.

Maybe Nomura was asked to draw Cloud's picture and it involves drawing several Smash Bros characters in the Dissidia style alongside him?

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Magius doesn't use items. All other effects are generally avoidable. Sleep? Nonexistent. Slow? What attacks inflict slow? Poison? Rare occurence in like 1 or 2 matchups.

What status effects are there now?
Jigglypuff's Sing? Assist trophies and Pokeballs? White Pikmin?

And did- did you just speak in the third person?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Judging by the way he split the fanbase, I'm not really sure. But It'd be awesome if he did come back.

I'm a bit more sad to think that there'll probably never be another opportunity to have :4megaman:+:4sonic:+:4ryu:+:4pacman:+:4cloud:+:4mario: in the same (official) game ever again. :( Which is why I'm going to make the most of it, and main at least 3 of these 3rd party characters (:4megaman::4sonic::4cloud:).

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace

I actually think Cloud will, the most prominent reason being Sakurai doesn't like to cut characters if he can help it.

Sure, there's a split in the community right now but I don't expect that to last long. At least how much of a split it is right now.
People will warm up to Cloud eventually, a good portion will like him once they get to play him, etc.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I actually think Cloud will, the most prominent reason being Sakurai doesn't like to cut characters if he can help it.

Sure, there's a split in the community right now but I don't expect that to last long. At least how much of a split it is right now.
People will warm up to Cloud eventually, a good portion will like him once they get to play him, etc.
If I can get over Snake being in Smash, I can't see anyone holding too much of a grudge towards Cloud.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I'm glad Cloud is in and they really went out of their way to make it 1997's Cloud and not the even more emo one from recent spin offs with his gear hanging off and him slouching.

That being said this basically proves that at least for DLC Nintendo association means absolutely nothing which I have mixed feelings about.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
What if the summons were actually apart of Cloud's move set and act the same way the did on the Midgard stage?

Gimmick

Smash Ace
well that would be broken, it's like having master balls on your moveset.
It would still be awesome and kind of funny if that was actually the case. Also, I don't understand how the summons work. There suppose to help the player who obtains the red ball thing, but some of the stuff looks like it'd screw the summoners. Is the giant death laser just not going to harm the summoner?

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
It would still be awesome and kind of funny if that was actually the case. Also, I don't understand how the summons work. There suppose to help the player who obtains the red ball thing, but some of the stuff looks like it'd screw the summoners. Is the giant death laser just not going to harm the summoner?
Yeah it seems who grabs the summon materia wont be hurt by the summons.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i am just going to assume that they work like assist trophies or pokeballs

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I very much doubt it. He screams "one-time character" to me, even more so than Ryu did. Square may have been cool with it for DLC, but putting him in a vanilla Smash game?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I will judge whether or not I think Cloud will come back based on whether or not the ballot or otherwise brings back Snake.

If he does, it shows Sakurai is fairly committed to bringing back characters that have huge fanbases, third party or otherwise.

D

Deleted member

Cloud's reveal has incited me to finally play the Final Fantasy series.

Should I just start with FFVII (if I can get my hands on it)?

I heard there was a Final Fantasy title on VC but I can't remember which one...?

------------------------

May as well "introduce myself" I guess, I main :4link: and :4mario:, I'm interested in at least labbing :4cloud: if not making him an alt of mine. (As well as learning the Cloud/Link MU)

I've mostly been hanging out in the moveset analysis thread but I figured I should pop in here too; I'll probably stick around, although the Robin subforum is my home territory.~

So Hello~

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Cloud's reveal has incited me to finally play the Final Fantasy series.

Should I just start with FFVII (if I can get my hands on it)?

I heard there was a Final Fantasy title on VC but I can't remember which one...?

------------------------

May as well "introduce myself" I guess, I main :4link: and :4mario:, I'm interested in at least labbing :4cloud: if not making him an alt of mine. (As well as learning the Cloud/Link MU)

I've mostly been hanging out in the moveset analysis thread but I figured I should pop in here too; I'll probably stick around, although the Robin subforum is my home territory.~

So Hello~
I would start with VII, but as others have said, Crisis Core isn't a bad place to start either. I believe some of the older SNES titles are available on VC, but none of them have any bearing on VII.
EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the social!

Last edited:

Project Crysis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cryis45
3DS FC
1521-5275-7397
5th. :4link::4tlink::4metaknight: and :4robinm: before him :p
Best way to describe :4pit::4darkpit: is to call them Bow users.

BTW, hello SOLDIERs! As it seems extremely likely that I'll switch my secondary to :4cloud:, I'll be around the boards here from here on out.
I main white mage Robin as well (even though Robin would be more of a Mystic Knight as Sakurai put it a while back)
lol I completely forgot the Links and Robin were in the game but close enough and it's good to have you :)

Top Bottom