• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[7/22/16] - Re-balanced (and more) Stages by soopercool101 - LXP Announcement!

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Finally, a balanced Great Bay that doesn't have **** lighting or is just a Final Destination skin.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
The stage looks cool but there's a couple instances of characters clipping through the stage to their deaths in that video which made me nervous. Ganondorf's third death and then Link going through the edge of the stage with his down-air especially.
I can assure you that collisions on this stage are set up correctly. Ganondorf's death, though displaying some rather...odd, CPU behavior, is simply a result of him running off a ledge and air dodging diagonally down back towards the stage (the only currently released version of this stage has no ceiling or walls under it, much like Kongo Jungle 64). The Link one is just me missing both Ganon and the stage because I suck. I just failed hard at an attempted gimp there, and I only go through the stage after I was past the floor collision.

That being said, I'm planning on updating this stage with alternate versions (relatively) soon! One of the planned versions will have walls going down on either side of the stage, so stuff like what happened to Ganon doesn't happen. Hopefully you'll find that more to your liking!

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think I'll just wait to see what your alternate versions look like. Maybe the water was just making it hard to tell where the hitboxes were. A version with walls on the side would fix the problem in that case.

CPUs acted derpy on the original stage as well so that isn't surprising.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
As per popular request, 9 additional versions of Great Bay M have been added. The total list is:
  1. The original, with no ceilings
  2. A version with a ceiling under the bottom stage
  3. A version with a ceiling under both the bottom and top portion of the stage
  4. A version with walls going down from the bottom platform to the bottom blastzone.
  5. A version with walls going down from the bottom platform to the bottom blastzone, and a ceiling under the upper platform.
  6. - 10. Versions of the first 5 with swimmable water
If you have any feedback or suggestions, leave them here, and I'll try to get around to them!

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I love the Onett M stage, but it's very unstable! It only loads 1/7 times, and crashes the other times. Any idea why this might be? I've tried a bunch of different .rels but final rels don't work, Onett rels don't work, Skyworld rels don't work...I'm out of luck!

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
I love the Onett M stage, but it's very unstable! It only loads 1/7 times, and crashes the other times. Any idea why this might be? I've tried a bunch of different .rels but final rels don't work, Onett rels don't work, Skyworld rels don't work...I'm out of luck!
Interestingly, I found out recently that Onett M does not work on specific builds of Dolphin. It works on the "latest stable" build (4.0.3 IIRC) as well as Wii. It does not work on the more recent versions of Dolphin or the Netplay build. I have no idea why this is. I might try figuring it out and updating the stage at some point, but until then, use a different Dolphin build and you should be fine (if you aren't playing on Dolphin though, please elaborate further!)

Last edited:

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Interestingly, I found out recently that Onett M does not work on specific builds of Dolphin. It works on the "latest stable" build (4.0.3 IIRC) as well as Wii. It does not work on the more recent versions of Dolphin or the Netplay build. I have no idea why this is. I might try figuring it out and updating the stage at some point, but until then, use a different Dolphin build and you should be fine (if you aren't playing on Dolphin though, please elaborate further!)
Thank you this is very helpful! Yes it is crashing on Dolphin, I'll try the stable build you're talking about.

alex9918

Smash Cadet
I'll try and do that. I'll probably use Dreamland as a base though, while giving it a more unique platform layout and no Whispy Woods. However, school's been ramping up for me, and my schedule is rather irregular, so I'm not gonna give an ETA quite yet.
Speaking of which, Sorry for taking you away from this thread full time to 40% PMXP 60% this thread and stage work.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of which, Sorry for taking you away from this thread full time to 40% PMXP 60% this thread and stage work.
I wish that was the time division. That sounds like a dream. The actual right now is 95% 'real life,' 5% this.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
do you have any plans to do a balanced version of the PM versions of Hyrule Castle and Peach's castle?

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
do you have any plans to do a balanced version of the PM versions of Hyrule Castle and Peach's castle?
I'd love to do either of these, but Hyrule Castle 3.5+ is a bit tricky to work with while making it still look nice. I'm working on Saffron 3.6 at the moment, but I could try for Peach's next.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
That one is tricky tho. Still not entirely sure what I want to do with it.
if it were up to me I wouldn't do something like the omega version of Corneria in sm4sh. taking out the great fox entirely and just having that background made the stage seem really boring. I don't know what you would do otherwise tho to make the stage more balanced. Unless you wanted to create your own version of the Great Fox that was flat lol

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
if it were up to me I wouldn't do something like the omega version of Corneria in sm4sh. taking out the great fox entirely and just having that background made the stage seem really boring.
This is the problem I've had with making a Corneria balance, I don't want the stage to be boring, but I suck at modeling/animations, so by myself I don't know what I'm really gonna be able to do with it.

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
This is the problem I've had with making a Corneria balance, I don't want the stage to be boring, but I suck at modeling/animations, so by myself I don't know what I'm really gonna be able to do with it.
Hmm... What if you tried turning the great fox at an angle (Toward the camera), lining it up with the fighting plane to create a different competitively viable stage? You could also use the Arwings of Starfox and Starwolf as smaller platforms.
EDIT: Like Venom, but adjusted more to the front and possibly turned so there's no giant wall.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Hmm... What if you tried turning the great fox at an angle (Toward the camera), lining it up with the fighting plane to create a different competitively viable stage? You could also use the Arwings of Starfox and Starwolf as smaller platforms.
EDIT: Like Venom, but adjusted more to the front and possibly turned so there's no giant wall.
Unfortunately in that instance it'd require shifting the entire viewpoint of the stage, which would make the black void on the right side of the map visible. Also, from my experience, tampering with corneria's default background animation causes it to break.

The version of corneria I was working on had one version reminiscent of ssb4's omega and another version that takes place inside the city itself. There's not much that can be done to make it still feel like corneria.

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Would it be possible to make it so you fight on the wings of one side not like corneria but like the great fox side view on the wings and the two wings top/bottom are platforms with everything else in the background (original stage)

edit : sorry if it doesnt make sense.

Last edited:

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
There's not much that can be done to make it still feel like corneria.
Pretty much this.

Would it be possible to make it so you fight on the wings of one side not like corneria but like the great fox side view on the wings and the two wings top/bottom are platforms with everything else in the background (original stage)

edit : sorry if it doesnt make sense.
No, I think I get what you're getting at, if I understand correctly you want me to shift the entire stage backwards away from the camera, so that the fight happens on the two wings. This arrangement would be rather irregular though, and wouldn't really be much of a balance without a whole lot of tweaking.

Last edited:

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
No, I think I get what you're getting at, if I understand correctly you want me to shift the entire stage backwards away from the camera, so that the fight happens on the two wings. This arrangement would be rather irregular though, and wouldn't really be much of a balance without a whole lot of tweaking.
what if you did move the camera back so you that you could make a platform like omega corneria and then make fighters stand on that? the great fox would be in the background which would be more interesting than just the corneria background by itself.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
what if you did move the camera back so you that you could make a platform like omega corneria and then make fighters stand on that? the great fox would be in the background which would be more interesting than just the corneria background by itself.
That could work, but I'd still need a platform to work with for that, I'm not an artist, at all.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
So, Project M is dead apparently. That's not something I expected to see. I as of right now have no plans to leave the P:M modding scene as long as there is a remotely active community for it. I have fun making these mods, and quite frankly, I don't want to see the community torn apart like this.

Alrighty, moving past the really somber stuff, I have a stage that I hinted at forever ago but didn't finish because I got lazy. A rebalance of Battlefield 64 which fixes up the underside of the stage so it isn't 100% jank.

http://modulous.net/mod/218/Battlefield 64 M

Hopefully more to come.

Last edited:

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
So, Project M is dead apparently. That's not something I expected to see. I as of right now have no plans to leave the P:M modding scene as long as there is a remotely active community for it. I have fun making these mods, and quite frankly, I don't want to see the community torn apart like this.

Alrighty, moving past the really somber stuff, I have a stage that I hinted at forever ago but didn't finish because I got lazy. A rebalance of Battlefield 64 which fixes up the underside of the stage so it isn't 100% jank.

http://modulous.net/mod/218/Battlefield 64 M

Hopefully more to come.
Really glad to hear this. I think this is a great opportunity for modders like yourself to shine too. Whose to say that custom content isn't tournament viable? I think over time we're going to see people using more of these types of stages.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
Really glad to hear this. I think this is a great opportunity for modders like yourself to shine too. Whose to say that custom content isn't tournament viable? I think over time we're going to see people using more of these types of stages.
Quite frankly, everyone was worried that Sm4sh was gonna completely kill the Brawl modding scene, but it didn't. I hope that this goes the same way. In the meantime, I'd have way too much free time on my hands if I quit Brawl modding entirely, so definitely not planning on that.

PsychoGhost

Smash Apprentice
Nice fix! Do you think you could make a version that matches Project M's platform heights and spacing, as well as all collision and such? That'd be awesome! :)

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
Nice fix! Do you think you could make a version that matches Project M's platform heights and spacing, as well as all collision and such? That'd be awesome! :)
The shape of the blocks used for the 64 Battlefield really don't lend themselves very well to PM Battlefield collisions. The platform spacing I believe is quite similar already in my version though, if I recall.

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
New Pork+ just has one issue: the sky seems to be flickering along with some stage textures.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
Most likely some of the 2d animated assets. Mine did this too at one point.
Yeah, both of ours are based on the Brawl- one I believe. I should look into trying to fix the sky at some point, at the very least.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
My stage isn't based on brawl minus? I mean, the edit I made of yours probably is, but my actual New Pork was made from vBrawl.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
My stage isn't based on brawl minus? I mean, the edit I made of yours probably is, but my actual New Pork was made from vBrawl.
Ahh. Nevermind then. You still have those issues then? I feel like it's probably either an .rel or camera issue.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I don't think the issues are there in the current release, but I've seen them when I was making the stage. I hadn't considered it to be possibly .rel related as I've only seen model flickering as a result of animation tampering, whether it's simply translating their positions to resizing them.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the issues are there in the current release, but I've seen them when I was making the stage. I hadn't considered it to be possibly .rel related as I've only seen model flickering as a result of animation tampering, whether it's simply translating their positions to resizing them.
I'm still talking about the sky, I've never encountered any model flickering in the latest versions of my New Pork as far as I could tell. (Though I could always be wrong).

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I'm still talking about the sky, I've never encountered any model flickering in the latest versions of my New Pork as far as I could tell. (Though I could always be wrong).
I was referring to the sky, as well as stage models in general.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post, but DSX8 recently released an import of both the regular and omega versions of the Gerudo Valley stage from the 3DS, and I'm just gonna say I'm totally calling dibs. (not really tho we're a community and it would be really dickish to claim exclusive rights to an edit of someone else's stage)

This is just one of the platform arrangements I'm planning on implementing, so don't worry if you think it's too generic. I also plan on making it a bit more than a simple version of the Omega with platforms from the original stage. The platforms themselves are already using a much higher quality texture than the regular version, and I plan on incorporating some elements from the regular version of the stage (that are not present in the Omega) as background elements in my version.

EDIT: Added in the "main" section of Gerudo into the background and fixed texture of the shadows of the platforms, among other minor changes

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Sorry for the double post, but DSX8 recently released an import of both the regular and omega versions of the Gerudo Valley stage from the 3DS, and I'm just gonna say I'm totally calling dibs. (not really tho we're a community and it would be really dickish to claim exclusive rights to an edit of someone else's stage)

This is just one of the platform arrangements I'm planning on implementing, so don't worry if you think it's too generic. I also plan on making it a bit more than a simple version of the Omega with platforms from the original stage. The platforms themselves are already using a much higher quality texture than the regular version, and I plan on incorporating some elements from the regular version of the stage (that are not present in the Omega) as background elements in my version.

EDIT: Added in the "main" section of Gerudo into the background and fixed texture of the shadows of the platforms, among other minor changes
Give this to me now. for I'll love you forever.

Top Bottom