• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The problem with the 3DS roster is that the icons can't get smaller, it barely fits 20 characters in the demo without the options that the Wii U version has, shrunking down the icons will make it impossible to see the character icons on a normal 3DS screen.
Also, there isn't such a thing as "this char won't be playable because there isn't space for him/her on the CSS", the roster has been decided a long time ago, instead of looking at a demo for the characters that will get in, we should look for other reasons, not "trying to fit it in a 47-51 CSS"

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
The problem with the 3DS roster is that the icons can't get smaller, it barely fits 20 characters in the demo without the options that the Wii U version has, shrunking down the icons will make it impossible to see the character icons on a normal 3DS screen.
Also, there isn't such a thing as "this char won't be playable because there isn't space for him/her on the CSS", the roster has been decided a long time ago, instead of looking at a demo for the characters that will get in, we should look for other reasons, not "trying to fit it in a 47-51 CSS"
I've made the mockup 1:1 with the 3DS resolution. There's not a lot of detail lost(and the font issue can be resolved easily enough by choosing a narrower typeface and working with kerning. I threw that together relatively quickly). 48 cells fit very snugly, and work cleanly on both the 3DS and the Wii U.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478

Here's an image of it for anyone wanting to give it a try.
Well, thinking about it... The character select screen cover all the screen like making a big space, even each character box look very big compared to brawl and melee than there side are really small.
But in the brawl demo was big too but in the main game is become smaller than usual to make some cool space.

The possibility of chorus kid is bigger than every, I don't is Ridley or Meta Ridley is a boss in metroid stage...
Takamaru got a attraction in nintendo land except, star fox, Punch Out!!!, Joy mech fight and even Mother?! He got a chance as the Retro Famicon Character to smash because we got alredy the NES retro character that is Little Mac and its remake.
Bandana Waddle dee??? That dude is everywhere now in Kirby games, since is big comeback in Super star Ultra and kicking butt in return to dream land. HE is already in the NEW Kirby game cover Kirby Rainbow course not only 1 but 3 MORE WITH DIFFERENTS COLORS?! I like this rooster, is one of the best I seen... I still don't like Ridley that much.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Anyways, I have a request. Can someone edit the 3DS' CSS to see if it can also fit 51 characters. The big thing about 47 is that it fits perfectly on both consoles. 51 can fit on the Wii U with a little bit of resizing (within the realm of possibility) and I'm not sure what exactly the 3DS CSS looks like with 51 slots.
I worked far longer on this than I should have...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

But this makes it look like we could still fit in 2 more characters. Which, of course, i don't think anyone would be opposed to. I just think it would be unlikely.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But this makes it look like we could still fit in 2 more characters. Which, of course, i don't think anyone would be opposed to. I just think it would be unlikely.
That'd throw the Wii U version out of the loop though. The 3rd parties being at the bottom fits very nicely regardless.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That'd throw the Wii U version out of the loop though. The 3rd parties being at the bottom fits very nicely regardless.
That is true. And i did think it was weird G&W was with the other 3rd parties in Brawl.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

If possible, can we fill in the blanks of this using vets (minus Lucas, Squirtle, Ivy and Snake) and the 3 Gem leak chars? Even if it's just the obvious stuff, I'd like to see how it's laid out.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
lol, I was just doing that. Threw in K Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo and Takamaru to fill in the rest of the blanks

Neo Zero

lol, I was just doing that. Threw in K Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo and Takamaru to fill in the rest of the blanks

If I was to guess, IC and ROB would most likely go beside Mac, to fit in with being "Retro"

Ness and Shulk probably go in the bottom for Misc. Otherwise, I don't really have any issues with the ordering (some could be debatable, like Shulk could go beside the LoZ I think, and Falcon could go beside ZSS). On a personal note, this would be a great final roster

Figuring out the starters is a whole nother thing though lol.

Starter - Mario, Bowser, Peach, Rosaluma, Yoshi, DK, Diddy, Olimar, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, ZSS, Pit, Palutena, Chorus, Marth, Chrom, Kirby, DDD, Shulk, Little Mac, Fox, Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, Villager, WFT, IC, MII (30)

Unlockable -Luigi, K Rool, Wario, Falcon, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Takamaru, Ridley, Ike, Meta Knight, Ness, Falco, Wolf, Jigglypiff, Mewtwo, Lucario, ROB, G&W, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac Man (21)

Would be my guess anyway.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I like the idea in OP. The only problem is it's based on the assumption that Ness and Shulk are in row three. One could easily be in another row and the roster would still have the same order as the demo. While I see your point, it is something that may not be set in stone. I think there are other points that better support the 51 character roster.

Anyways, I have a request. Can someone edit the 3DS' CSS to see if it can also fit 51 characters. The big thing about 47 is that it fits perfectly on both consoles. 51 can fit on the Wii U with a little bit of resizing (within the realm of possibility) and I'm not sure what exactly the 3DS CSS looks like with 51 slots.

Here's an image of it for anyone wanting to give it a try.
Go back to page 6. I linked to a post with evidence that the 3DS version can not fit 8x6 (47 roster) without changing proportions. It can fit 9x6 with no changes.

Neo Zero

I like the idea in OP. The only problem is it's based on the assumption that Ness and Shulk are in row three. One could easily be in another row and the roster would still have the same order as the demo. While I see your point, it is something that may not be set in stone. I think there are other points that better support the 51 character roster.

Go back to page 6. I linked to a post with evidence that the 3DS version can not fit 8x6 (47 roster) without changing proportions. It can fit 9x6 with no changes.
Scrollable CSS.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman

I love this roster and I think it has a good chance of being what the actual final roster will look like.

Such a shame that Snake and Lucas are probably gone... They'd fill in those last two blanks very nicely.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Can someone make a 3DS and Wii U select screen with my roster please? That looks good.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Has anyone ever brought up the suggestion for 3DS that the CSS might scroll left/right? That could certainly solve all the size problems. Maybe assign a button to zoom in/zoom out for convenience. I mean, you don't really need to have humongous icons when you only need to concern yourself with your own token in pretty much almost every instance.

Plus, the bottom screen contains character selection information. You really need to see your friend's tokens float around when playing locally/online? You only need to know what they're picking, not that they're having trouble deciding. Y'dig?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Has anyone ever brought up the suggestion for 3DS that the CSS might scroll left/right? That could certainly solve all the size problems. Maybe assign a button to zoom in/zoom out for convenience. I mean, you don't really need to have humongous icons when you only need to concern yourself with your own token in pretty much almost every instance.

Plus, the bottom screen contains character selection information. You really need to see your friend's tokens float around when playing locally/online? You only need to know what they're picking, not that they're having trouble deciding. Y'dig?
Problem with that, why would they have a different layout for each roster when both are 4 x 12/3?

Neo Zero

Scrollable CSS.
I also brought up a multi paged CSS as well. With DLC, it's impossible to JUST have a 47 CSS because nothing else would fit without some sort of additional gimmick.

Problem with that, why would they have a different layout for each roster when both are 4 x 12/3?
To fit the DLC characters in later easier.

Last edited:

IonProductionz

Smash Cadet
Not too sure if this has been suggested already, but couldn't the character selection screen for the 3DS version be "scrollable"?
It doesn't have to all fit in one screen, you could just move the cursor to the right or left (or up and down) and a select a character that way.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Maybe it's not actually 4 x 12/3? I'm no CSS wizard here or anything, I'm just saying. People making assumptions.. you know the rest.

I also brought up a multi paged CSS as well. With DLC, it's impossible to JUST have a 47 CSS because nothing else would fit without some sort of additional gimmick.
Scrolling the roster left and right seems, to me, the logical decision for the 3DS. You only really need to see what you're doing and where your token is going, so.. yeah.

Neo Zero

Maybe it's not actually 4 x 12/3? I'm no CSS wizard here or anything, I'm just saying. People making assumptions.. you know the rest.

Scrolling the roster left and right seems, to me, the logical decision for the 3DS. You only really need to see what you're doing and where your token is going, so.. yeah.
Exactly, since we know the bottom screen won't be used in the process, it's only logical the CSS can move or be multi paged. Frankly, I think looking at the 3DS CSS is proving to be a waste of time, in the end we don't know enough about how it works. I feel instead we should focus on the Wii U CSS and see how the roster molds the CSS there.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
That's a really good point. We've been assuming the 3DS roster would scroll vertically. If it's horizontal, we could end up with something pretty close to the Wii U version...although it'd have to be slightly different, since a few characters are ordered differently.

Last edited:

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::warioc::4samus::4zss::4mii:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::4tlink::popo::4pit::4palutena::4kirby::4dedede::metaknight::falcon:
:4fox::falco::wolf::4marth::4myfriends::roypm::4pikachu::4charizard::mewtwopm::4lucario::4greninja::jigglypuff:
:ness2::lucas::4olimar::4villager::4littlemac::4wiifit::rob::gw::4megaman::4pacman::4sonic::substitute:

A horizontal-scrolling 3DS character select should fit the above just fine. What seems to be irrelevant here, is my next point. The above assumes everyone except Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle return (none of which I think has much chance), and that no more newcomers are announced. 47 characters seems to be just right for both 3DS and Wii U.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Scrollable CSS.
Scroallable CSS wont work because the hand moves to the bottom screen. This means the screen on top will scroll and your hand moves to the bottom. Also makes moving CPU icons harder. 9x6 grid just works better.

Neo Zero

Scroallable CSS wont work because the hand moves to the bottom screen. This means the screen on top will scroll and your hand moves to the bottom. Also makes moving CPU icons harder. 9x6 grid just works better.
It can scroll only on the top screen, as the bottom screen isn't usable. Let alone the fact it could scroll left to right. The problem with a 9x6 grid, as I've pointed out 6 times by now, is that it doesn't allow for DLC space, which is something we're getting if Sal's leak is correct.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
The shadow goes back as far as other characters do when they jump. When Bowser jumped higher it went back that far as well.
I saw one picture of Bowser jumping, and it didn't look like his shadow was nearly that far back. Can you share that image showing it on the back half of the stage?
My biggest problem with 47 is Ridley, he has a ton going for him when you look at the following points
There is actually room for Ridley in a 47 character roster, though, assuming a veteran such as Wolf gets cut.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I saw one picture of Bowser jumping, and it didn't look like his shadow was nearly that far back. Can you share that image showing it on the back half of the stage?

There is actually room for Ridley in a 47 character roster, though, assuming a veteran such as Wolf gets cut.
Actually I think it was a video, but I don't remember where it was from. All I do recall is that Bowser's shadow went back quite a bit and right off the stage. I don't even remember which stage it was on.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've been thinking of that too, especially when I saw this video.

Seems the cursor can go to the touch screen too. I'd imagine it would probably be a little inefficient trying to get the cursor to the touch screen while having to scroll down the roster as well so I kinda think a horizontal looking roster for the 3DS version is more likely really... :/

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Why is everyone discounting the possibility that DLC would be its own CSS toggled by a button on the bottom(if we get character DLC, that is)? 47 + Random works great in the 4:3 ratio of the 3DS's screen, doesn't need scrolling, and looks fine. Hit the button on the bottom screen to toggle the DLC CSS page, and select it from there(likely mirroring the layout of the on-disc CSS).

3DSCSS.png

It's 1:1 exactly. This is WYSIWYG as far as layout, cells, etc. The font may change, placements may change, but it otherwise looks pretty tight.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Why is everyone discounting the possibility that DLC would be its own CSS toggled by a button on the bottom(if we get character DLC, that is)?
That's possible, but then why bother going through the trouble to make the CSS fit so perfectly if you're going to ruin it by ending up with essentially a two-page CSS on both versions? I feel that a two-page CSS is a less appealing design decision than not having the roster fit a perfect rectangle (which it didn't do on Melee's CSS anyway).

I don't think that arguing for a 8x6 layout on the basis of the 3DS screen's resolution is necessarily a great idea. It starts to become a lot more like "The 3DS's screen only fits 47 characters, so Sakurai chose the roster so that they would all fit correctly on the 3DS." The 3DS menu seems to be just maximizing the size of the icons. The icons don't have the exact same proportions either (3:2 ratio vs. a 4:3 ratio on the Wii U).

The Wii U menu, on the other hand, made design choices that don't simply maximize icon size - that is, its design tells you more about the final roster size than the 3DS does, IMO. With the Wii U, you can't say "Oh, they just made it look that way since it was the easiest way to display 21 cells."

That 8x6 layout is readable for me but 1. fitting player tokens on cells becomes a lot harder 2. some character names are longer in different languages and 3. not everyone has as good eyesight and 4. Sakurai likes menu design and the 3DS poses a challenge - either make the boxes too small to look great, or make it scroll. I think he would prefer scrolling. Horizontal scrolling would be easy and intuitive to do using the L & R buttons, it would keep the character boxes looking nice, and it would allow the exact same layout as the Wii U.

Allowing the same layout as the Wii U is something that would appeal to Sakurai as well, since if he puts as much thought into the position of characters as the people in here are doing, it's a lot easier to not have to do it twice or come up with a unified character order that works on both.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
That's possible, but then why bother going through the trouble to make the CSS fit so perfectly if you're going to ruin it by ending up with essentially a two-page CSS on both versions? I feel that a two-page CSS is a less appealing design decision than not having the roster fit a perfect rectangle (which it didn't do on Melee's CSS anyway).
It separates DLC characters from On-Disc characters, allowing for a clear distinction and identification(and considering DLC may not even be valid in anyone outside of locals or friends-only makes further sense, but that is a debate for another time). Whether or not you choose not to download any DLC, the main CSS remains unaffected, which gives familiarity and simplicity to the design. You don't want your design to be overly... Cluttered, so to say. As a man far more intelligent than I said once, 'My work as a designer is not done when there is nothing more to add, but instead when there is nothing more to take away.'

I don't think that arguing for a 8x6 layout on the basis of the 3DS screen's resolution is necessarily a great idea. It starts to become a lot more like "The 3DS's screen only fits 47 characters, so Sakurai chose the roster so that they would all fit correctly on the 3DS." The 3DS menu seems to be just maximizing the size of the icons. The icons don't have the exact same proportions either (3:2 ratio vs. a 4:3 ratio on the Wii U).
Check your math again, at least with regard to the 3DS screen. It uses a 400x240 layout, which is 5:3. The Wii U version likely has 16:9 given that it's an HD platform and that's the standard. While the fact that the icons can be scaled is true to an extent, you don't want 16:9 elements on a 5:3 layout, because it looks like trash. It would look stretched and distorted. The cells would need to be 5:3 to conform to the 3DS's display, and if they're at that resolution, why not use them to fill the screen? It's not excess information, it's quick and easy access to see how many characters you have. Being able to at-a-glance is critical for design, and a scrolling CSS just can't do that as there's too much investment on the viewer. Let's not forget that people want to be able to browse web pages with minimal scrolling. Instant information, as it were. That mentality would translate to the CSS as well. The best UIs are the ones that require minimal fuss.

The Wii U menu, on the other hand, made design choices that don't simply maximize icon size - that is, its design tells you more about the final roster size than the 3DS does, IMO. With the Wii U, you can't say "Oh, they just made it look that way since it was the easiest way to display 21 cells."
True, but that's because you don't want to make the icons too large, as they would overwhelm the rest of the design on the screen. The real estate of the 3DS screen is at a premium, to say the least. There's no excess pixels for extraneous design to exist in the 3DS version's CSS, which is fine, because that's meant to display. It's not meant to showcase the rest of the action buttons, like going back to the main menu, who has what character, DLC toggle, etc. The 3DS has the luxury of a second screen(that is also touch!) to handle interfacing. The top screen need only concern itself with displaying. The Wii U doesn't have that, it has to be able to show all of those elements I just listed on a single screen, so of course the icons won't take up every last inch. That said, the icons should remain in a 16:9 or close format, so that they have parity with the display they're actually on and don't look distorted. We've been trained over the years to certain aspect ratios for displays and text. You don't generally want text in a portrait format, you want it in landscape because of how we read. So character names being displayed alongside their pictures would demand a landscape portrait. Two primary aspect ratios of landscapes have developed over the years. 4:3 in old-school TVs, and 16:9, the current standard. The 3DS is a unique creature, being 5:3, so the icons are shaped to match. I envision the Wii U following suit with either 4:3 or 16:9 CSS cells.

That 8x6 layout is readable for me but 1. fitting player tokens on cells becomes a lot harder 2. some character names are longer in different languages and 3. not everyone has as good eyesight and 4. Sakurai likes menu design and the 3DS poses a challenge - either make the boxes too small to look great, or make it scroll. I think he would prefer scrolling. Horizontal scrolling would be easy and intuitive to do using the L & R buttons, it would keep the character boxes looking nice, and it would allow the exact same layout as the Wii U.
This would actually be one of the easier things to deal with. Be rid of the number within the player 'chip' as it were, and have them just be their color. Maybe 10-20px diameter. Use the bottom screen to define each color's ownership(P1 Red, P2 Blue, P3 Yellow, P4 Green, CP Gray(perhaps varying tints of it depending on placement, like grayish-red for CP1, grayish-blue for CP2, etc etc)), and go from there. This also has the aspect of being easily worked with in case of problems such as color-blindness, as a colorblind mode could be easily instituted to facilitate use. Previous Smash titles allowed for crowded tiles of overlapping chips, and I don't see that changing here.

Allowing the same layout as the Wii U is something that would appeal to Sakurai as well, since if he puts as much thought into the position of characters as the people in here are doing, it's a lot easier to not have to do it twice or come up with a unified character order that works on both.
He's already broken the unified order in the demo alone by placing Greninja before Pikachu in the Wii U, but setting Pikachu before Greninja in the 3DS. He's likely compensating for something(likely the different aspect ratio and resolution) with the altered placements.

If you're into menu design, you want to be able to present as much information as possible to the viewer and make them do as little work as possible to interpret it. Scrolling is more work than just looking. Plus, it allows DLC characters to be set apart from on-disc characters by giving them their own CSS that's a toggle on top of the normal CSS. It's a simple, intuitive flow of information that is immediately apparent the second you look at the screen, which is a far superior solution to a scrolling menu that takes time to decipher(increasingly so if DLC and On-Disc characters are on the same CSS!).

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one that think ice climbers have a chance to be cut? I can see Jigglypuff going along with the other obvious cuts which would make room for 2 unexpected newcomers. Still hoping for chrous kids to not make the cut though especially if there is only 47 and not 51.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one that think ice climbers have a chance to be cut? I can see Jigglypuff going along with the other obvious cuts which would make room for 2 unexpected newcomers. Still hoping for chrous kids to not make the cut though especially if there is only 47 and not 51.
Eh? That's a rather random call on both of them. Jiggs enjoys O12 status and ICs have a unique niche.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Alright, here's what I got for a side-scrolling CSS. Not that it matters granted we can't draw much of anything from the 3DS version. I used this as a reference for placement (meaning no rearranging like other people have done.)

Fits surprisingly well together. Ness and Shulk still line up with their RPG companions below them. The bottom row is other single reps, retros, miis and 3rd parties.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
You have to keep in mind that the Gematsu leaker wasn't impressed with the DLC so I wouldn't get your hopes up

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with this topic as I have my roster and I have me beliefs in what is most likely so saying otherwise won't effect me either way, As I've said, I fully expect every RPG character to be on that row and I also have alot of doubt that Wolf would be cut, but it would also mean there in another newcomer, in which case why didn't Gematsu know about this single character?

Best Answer, Wolf isn't cut and we have 51-2 characters.
Thats how I view this roster and nothing other people say will convince me otherwise.
The leaker said it was greedy not disappointing.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It separates DLC characters from On-Disc characters, allowing for a clear distinction and identification(and considering DLC may not even be valid in anyone outside of locals or friends-only makes further sense, but that is a debate for another time). Whether or not you choose not to download any DLC, the main CSS remains unaffected, which gives familiarity and simplicity to the design. You don't want your design to be overly... Cluttered, so to say.
And a DLC extra screen makes it less simple, less familiar and more cluttered.

I think that if DLC is in, we may simply see the layout change when DLC characters are added. Really we don't know, as it depends on both the size of the final roster and the number of DLC characters planned.
As a man far more intelligent than I said once, 'My work as a designer is not done when there is nothing more to add, but instead when there is nothing more to take away.'
This is just a non sequitur.
Check your math again, at least with regard to the 3DS screen. It uses a 400x240 layout, which is 5:3.
Ok, there are 400:240 pixels. And the number of rows and columns is not 5:3. There are borders too which only appear between columns, and not at the left or right. The name bar at the bottom effectively acts as a border between rows.

If the column separators are 2 pixels, then the ratio should be 65:60 in terms of pixels (6 icons x 65 pixels + 5 column separators x 2 pixels = 400 width). The height would be 240/4 = 60.

That's a ratio of 65:60, or 13:12. I don't know why you keep saying 5:3 and 16:9 over and over.

What this has to do with anything, I don't know. My point was just that they're not using the same icon shapes.
The Wii U version likely has 16:9 given that it's an HD platform and that's the standard.
What the hell are you talking about? The Wii U version isn't taking up the entire screen for the roster, so the resolution is irrelevant. I simply measured the box on CSS and it's nowhere near 16:9. It's approximately 4:3, like I said.
While the fact that the icons can be scaled is true to an extent, you don't want 16:9 elements on a 5:3 layout, because it looks like trash. It would look stretched and distorted. The cells would need to be 5:3 to conform to the 3DS's display, and if they're at that resolution, why not use them to fill the screen?
Again, what the hell are you talking about?

Nothing I said implied that they should use 16:9 proportions on the 3DS, or use the same pictures pixel for pixel or something like that.

My point is that the 3DS leaves no extra space - the layout was clearly chosen simply to use the entire space while keeping the icons at a reasonable size. The Wii U CSS, however, has plenty of extra space. They could've changed the proportions if they wanted to, or made the roster grid taller (making room for 5 rows) or whatever if they wanted to. Thus the Wii U CSS is a much stronger indicator of the roster size.
It's not excess information, it's quick and easy access to see how many characters you have.
Who are you talking to? Where is this "excess information" thing coming from? Because I didn't say that. You're making these weird points in response to things that nobody said.
Being able to at-a-glance is critical for design, and a scrolling CSS just can't do that as there's too much investment on the viewer. Let's not forget that people want to be able to browse web pages with minimal scrolling. Instant information, as it were. That mentality would translate to the CSS as well. The best UIs are the ones that require minimal fuss.
People also like things to not be tiny. Having the character icons be big enough is also important, and it's something you're dismissing on the basis of nothing but your own design preferences. Fitting them all on one screen has a benefit, but it also has a cost.

And while you keep insisting that DLC will be a separate page, it violates everything you're talking about, except to a greater extent.

There's tension between the two, like I said. The choice is not as obvious as you're making it out to be.
True, but that's because you don't want to make the icons too large, as they would overwhelm the rest of the design on the screen. The real estate of the 3DS screen is at a premium, to say the least. There's no excess pixels for extraneous design to exist in the 3DS version's CSS, which is fine, because that's meant to display. It's not meant to showcase the rest of the action buttons, like going back to the main menu, who has what character, DLC toggle, etc. The 3DS has the luxury of a second screen(that is also touch!) to handle interfacing. The top screen need only concern itself with displaying.
All of which is obvious and irrelevant.
The Wii U doesn't have that, it has to be able to show all of those elements I just listed on a single screen, so of course the icons won't take up every last inch.
That's exactly my point. It means that they had freedom to design the CSS boxes to require minimal modification between the final roster display and the demo/starter roster display.

Which means that the Wii U roster screen gives us more information, because they had more freedom to adjust the shape and size of the boxes.
Two primary aspect ratios of landscapes have developed over the years. 4:3 in old-school TVs, and 16:9, the current standard. The 3DS is a unique creature, being 5:3, so the icons are shaped to match. I envision the Wii U following suit with either 4:3 or 16:9 CSS cells.
Again, with the weird aspect ratio obsession. The boxes on the 3DS are not 4:3, 5:3 or 16:9.

The shape of the boxes on the Wii U does not need to be 4:3 or 16:9. Why would you assume that they would be?
This would actually be one of the easier things to deal with. Be rid of the number within the player 'chip' as it were, and have them just be their color. Maybe 10-20px diameter. Use the bottom screen to define each color's ownership(P1 Red, P2 Blue, P3 Yellow, P4 Green, CP Gray(perhaps varying tints of it depending on placement, like grayish-red for CP1, grayish-blue for CP2, etc etc)), and go from there. This also has the aspect of being easily worked with in case of problems such as color-blindness, as a colorblind mode could be easily instituted to facilitate use. Previous Smash titles allowed for crowded tiles of overlapping chips, and I don't see that changing here.
That was actually not the most important point...

The point was that the icons being that small is not necessarily desired for other reasons.
Scrolling is more work than just looking. Plus, it allows DLC characters to be set apart from on-disc characters by giving them their own CSS that's a toggle on top of the normal CSS.
Viewing a separate DLC screen is more work than just looking. You're presenting that as a positive while complaining that scrolling is a fatal flaw in a menu.

You don't seem to notice when you put contradictory statements right next to each other.
a scrolling menu that takes time to decipher(increasingly so if DLC and On-Disc characters are on the same CSS!).
That's not what decipher means.

Taking a little bit more time to view the whole thing does not mean it requires effort to decipher.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I still don't think there's a "limit" on the characters guys. Sakurai will put whoever he wants in the game. I can guarantee you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom