• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4v4 - Quartets Discussion (Or other variants)

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
This isn't one Wii U hosting all 8 players, right?

Also this requires a lot of people and its pretty hectic, even compared to teams, so I'm going to remain skeptical on this becoming big competitively. It is nice that we have super large stages for it, though.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It looks like the official GCN adapter means only 4 GCN controllers.

However, you can still get third-party Wiimote GCN adapters, and treat them like a classic controller.

Edit: I was wrong! The official site says you can use 8 GCN controllers with 2 adapters!

Last edited:

Pnppl Pnch

Smash Rookie
Echoing everyone, it seems like it would be chaotic as hell, but damn fun. Being competitive and balanced is hugely iffy though.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I feel it'd be hard to find teams of 4 to compete in tourneys, but I definitely think it has potential, especially with some of the bigger stages. It can add a new layer of depth to teams that will potentially be pretty exciting.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Just going to throw this out there early, but I feel like Quartets might be something we ought to consider running on Timer as opposed to stocks.

Pnppl Pnch

Smash Rookie
Just going to throw this out there early, but I feel like Quartets might be something we ought to consider running on Timer as opposed to stocks.
This sounds like a great idea… with all the potential chaos, and the prospect of being 2+ men down, stock just doesn't seem like a fantastic idea.

DeLux

I could see it being very tactical late game, like a "pull the goalie" situation, where someone sacrifices a stock for spawn invincibility to try to take two opponent stocks lol

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
3 vs. 3 and 4 vs. 4 needs to become a competitive thing.

I don't care if it's chaotic.
ONLY SISSIES COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT SORT OF THING!
If we deny this, it would be like spitting in the face of GOD HIMSELF!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I dunno DeLux, especially if we assume sharing stocks is still a thing.

This is crew battles made fast and awesome.

Edit: dang it Panda, I thought you were a samurai, not a ninja!

Last edited:

Pnppl Pnch

Smash Rookie
And thinking ahead, GAME AND WATCH MUST BE BANNED!

3 People charging his bucket, yikes!

Last edited:

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
First of all, any question regarding if it's possible hardware-wise is null. The official site confirms you can use up to 8 GameCube Controllers and many other control options.

So at this point it's all up to the players if it's a possibility. Personally, I think it is. Competitively? Hard to say, it's a thing you need to experiment with. It's completely a new thing to Smash.

There are also several other variations you can try out:
- 2v2v2
- 2v2v2v2
- 3v3
- 4v4

And thinking ahead, GAME AND WATCH MUST BE BANNED!

3 People charging his bucket, yikes!
Depends if friendly fire is enabled for this. It doesn't work when it's off.

DeLux

2v2v2v2 and 2v2v2 wouldn't work for serious tournament play for the same reasons we don't run 1v1v1v1 or 1v1v1 usually.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Running a 8 person tourney could be kinda hard in theory. Having 8 people around a tv trying to play could be somewhat difficult. All this is hypothetical, obviously, but I feel like 3v3's would be the golden number.

Rubbish

Smash Journeyman
Dunno about 4v4 being a normal thing in tournaments but damn if I'm not looking forward to seeing some of the bst players go 4v4 for events and stuff.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
This isn't one Wii U hosting all 8 players, right?

Also this requires a lot of people and its pretty hectic, even compared to teams, so I'm going to remain skeptical on this becoming big competitively. It is nice that we have super large stages for it, though.
This is one Wii U hosting 8 players. In fact, that's the only way it can be played. From the Official Nintendo Smash 4 3DS/Wii U website, How to Play: 8-player Smash:

"8-player Smash cannot be selected in online battles" "In Team Battles, you can fight with up to 4 teams (...red, blue, green, yellow)".

I am so hype about this, I believed in its possibility and it was real! Even better, it can be played with 8 GCN controllers, since each 4-slot adapter only takes up 2 USB ports, and the Wii U has 4. HYPE!!!!

But now I need to go buy 4 more GCN controllers.

Last edited:

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
Actually, is it confirmed that we can even use teams in this mode?
Yes. Yellow Team is the 4th possible team.

2v2v2v2 and 2v2v2 wouldn't work for serious tournament play for the same reasons we don't run 1v1v1v1 or 1v1v1 usually.
That's not even the same thing. You're comparing team matches to a free-for-all. It was just a possibility I suggested, anyway.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I just want to throw out 2v2v2v2. You and your partner against three other teams.I imagine biases would occur but who cares.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
4 v 4 Game and Watch/Pikachu matches.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I doubt it'll catch on as a main event due to the sheer logistics of trying to coordinate 8 people together at once for every single match, but it would make for a fun side event or exhibition match.

What I'm more interested in is the potential for the large player count to make bigger stages like Temple a viable thing.

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it'll catch on as a main event due to the sheer logistics of trying to coordinate 8 people together at once for every single match, but it would make for a fun side event or exhibition match.

What I'm more interested in is the potential for the large player count to make bigger stages like Temple a viable thing.
Palutenas Temple: Legal
Hyrule Temple: Legal
Big Battlefield: Legal
Great Cave Offensive: Very powerful and prevalent hazards, BANNED!

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
It looks like the official GCN adapter means only 4 GCN controllers.

However, you can still get third-party Wiimote GCN adapters, and treat them like a classic controller.
Actually on the official smash website it says if you have two GameCube adapters, you can use 8 Gamecube controllers!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Getting 8 people to sit in one place for 15 minutes is way easier than getting 4 pairs of people to sit in different places at different times. This is why teams is already easier to TO than singles.

I think 4v4 has off-the-charts spectator potential.

I'm interested in possible draft formats. Exclusive character picks are good for spectators.

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
4v4s as a side event is very possible, especially at locals, I'd think. 3v3s can catch on competitively. Either way, it's incredibly good for spectators, I'd love to see it myself.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
All FFAs, be it 1v1v1v1 or 2v2v2v2, are extremely political games and ill-suited for competition.

Edit: There are excellent competitive political games, but these are built from the ground up as political games with many design principles that are diametrically opposed to core fighting game mechanics. (Such as a turn-based structure that facilitates negotiation, or limited target-ability of actions.)

Last edited:

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
First of all, any question regarding if it's possible hardware-wise is null. The official site confirms you can use up to 8 GameCube Controllers and many other control options.

So at this point it's all up to the players if it's a possibility. Personally, I think it is. Competitively? Hard to say, it's a thing you need to experiment with. It's completely a new thing to Smash.

There are also several other variations you can try out:
- 2v2v2
- 2v2v2v2
- 3v3
- 4v4

Depends if friendly fire is enabled for this. It doesn't work when it's off.
Doesn't anyone else get the idea that this could be awesome for esports-type events. There could be teams under 1 sponsor and they would have them compete in multiple events and mix up their team of 4 for counter picks for what fits the meta at the time. OMG so hype!

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
What I think is going to be awesome in 4v4s, is every character is going to be viable. As long as your teammates compensate for your weaknesses, then you could play any character. For example Little Mac has trouble recovering but if he has 3 floaties as teammates then there will almost always be someone there to save him. Or if you want to play Zelda, you just to have some rush down team mates keep them busy so that you can sit back and summon fireballs and suits of armor.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
3v3 or 4v4 seems like it could be a thing. Why not? The only legitimate point against them is that cramming eight people in front of a single screen could be difficult. But you can just output to two TVs, so while it increases the number of resources for each match, it would still be doable. Have a team of 4 on each TV.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Singles is much more popular than teams, so I'm inclined to think that adding players would further reduce people's desire to play.

It's possibly more fun to watch than it is to play, which is a weird dynamic.

I think keeping players happy and bringing players out to events is the most important thing overall, so unless this unexpectedly more fun to play than doubles I think TOs should give priority to singles and doubles.

Top Bottom