• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4th Generation (Pearl Diamond) Pokemon:Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
And with the 8th movie, we have a new legendary to see. This, is Rukario.

Assumedly from the new games, it has some connection to Mew (At least in the movie.)

It looks like it could be alomost any type, which should make it interesting.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
hmmmmm

Yeah, I read about this guy. He's really weird looking....looks like a cross between a dog and a fox. I'm going to guess it's going to be a....psychic+dark type......Mainly b/c the "Mew" line Poke'mon are all psychic or psychic+ element.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Personally, I don't see what everyone's griping about. What's wrong with more Pokemon? I actually really like the wierd ones that have been coming out recently.

Pokemon is one of the few games that can keep me occupied for more than a year. That and Smash Bros/Soul Calibur II/Animal Crossing. After seeing those pics, I actually can't wait for another round of Badge-earning, team-building, freak-breeding fun from the Pokemon company. And for me, the single player never gets boring. Why? Training, that's why. Taking a Pokemon I like and breeding cool moves onto it and then training it selectively with EV's all the way up to level 50 or 100 for tournament use. Then I breed another and train it...with a different moveset/EV placement. Then I'll go onto another species and do the same.

That's why I'm glad there are more Pokemon. And that Sneasel evolution just looks cool. Finally! Sneasel will actually be good. That thing will have awesome speed and attack, and may actually have enough special attack to give it Dark or ICe moves.

Pokemon's fun factor triples once you start using advanced play.

The only thing that pisses me off? That fox thing is a legendary. I can't use it now (I won't use legendaries as a matter of principle). And it looks cool.

Hopefully, Dunsparce should evolve.

KingMewtwo1112

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I don't really hate the new Pokemon either. I actually really like Gonbe and that Sudowoodo Pre evolution. And the one that looks like a Mr.Mime Pre-evo looks funny. ::chuckle:

And ya just because there's going to be new pokemon doesn't mean that I'm not going buy the game. For me, it's fun to train with Pokemon you never really trained before.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Gonbe? MUNCHlax. (Yuk!) In my opinion, Baby Pokemon are poinless. I think that babies should have some incredibly redeeming trait that allows them to stand up on thier own or something.

But isn't this game going to be online? And since it's on the DS, nintendo has no excuse not to animate the Pokemon sprites or do something nice with the graphics. I actually hope for a 2D game, but with anime-quality cel-shaded graphics. That would be nice.

Is Manula the European name for that Sneasel evolution thing or just the Japanese name? Because it would make sense (MANula, Mane. That crown thing it has = mane, it's got to be a wolverine. The weasel turns into a wolverine...right...)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Al names (except for munchlax) are Japanese. Expect something like Snezlor for Sneasles evo.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I don't care about the name: This thing's going to be BEEFY! I mean...at the maximum, a Sneasel is capable of getting 317 attack and around 360 something speed. Its defenses are bad, but not really that terrible. Now when Sneasel evolves into whateverit'scalled, it's going to get a nice boost in every stat: That means its attack will be in the 340/50 max category or more, and its speed will probably fly off into the 400ds. (Max. Sorry, I don't often use base stats.) Its defenses will be better, and its previously horrible special attack will also rise, giving it some chance to use STAB moves like bite or Ice beam.

Its weaknesses? Bad typing. It's very unlikely that Nintendo will get rid of the Ice typing or change it. Very few pokemon actually change types (although there were a fair few in Ruby and Saphire...) more often they get types added onto an evolution, but seeing as Sneasel's already a dual-type the chances of it changing are slim although it's pretty much certain that it will remain Dark.

Defense won't be so much of a problem anymore. It'll have passable defenses, a bit like Starmie. Not good, of course, but passable.

And finally, it won't be able to make the best use of STAB. However...

With attack like that, giving it powerful physical moves will probably solve that problem. There might be a physical move it learns with like 100 attack power and a good typing like Steel or something. And maybe, Nintendo will see the light and make Dark moves physical. (har har, hang me for that pun.)

It might learn a new stat-up move like swords dance only dark-type. But anyway, it's going to be one heck of a sweeper. With speed like that, people will be able to put all of its EV's into Attack and HP (or maybe even Sp-attack) and it would still be faster than most.

Sneasel's evo has done it for me. I'm going to be waiting for this game for ages now. Estimated it's coming out in the US in 2006, darn it. That means we Aussies won't get it until 2006 Autumn or something dumb like that.

(goes off and starts training Sneasels.)

Oh yeah! And now Sneasel's symetrical! No more annoying feather ear appentage thing sticking out at an odd angle. This thing will be in my team for sure!

(goes off and starts training Sneasels inside a time capsule.)

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Yes train the Ice/Dark pokemon who has a x4 weakness to fighting and gains no benefits from it's typing whatsoever, not even STAB. Yes train the pokemon who will probably end up with a 30 point stat boost which makes it's stats equivalent of a normal competitive pokemon.... only suckier.

HAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAAAA

Sorry I'm bored.:p

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Dude...a 30 point boost in all of Sneasel's stats would be very nice, thank you. That means Speed unrivalled by most, VERY nice (not nice, excellent) Attack, it will be able to take a hit most of the time, especially in the SPcl.defence category and anyway, typing really doesn't matter when you're using sweepers. With sweepers, I like to believe that they can only take one hit (which is the case most of the time) and Sneasel is no exception. Currently, I am trianing a bred Sneasel with Adamant nature, Brick Break, HP-bug, Shadow Ball, and I'll get Swords Dance off my friend who owns FR. Lucky me, its HP is physical. A lot of type coverage there, but no STAB.

I consider anything with the potential to get more than 320 attack/special attack to have excellent offensive capabilities. Anything over 360 Max has INSANE offensive cababilities.

So back to Manyula Sneasel evo cool thing. It'll definatily be competative: like a Zangoose on steroids with a bad type. Oh well, look on the bright side! It's resistant to Ice, Dark, Ghost...Unaffected by Psychic...

Horrible typing. You can't argue with that, but STATS people!:D

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nintendo's bank balance must have dropped below the danger limit of $50 billion, as the company has today announced that Nintendo DS duo Pokémon Diamond and Pearl will be on shop shelves in Japan early next year. Both titles, which are, y'know, basically 'one' title (sort of, but we're not getting into this debate), will be released simultaneously, according to a report in Japanese magazine Comic Korokoro.

Meanwhile, a third game, provisionally titled Pokémon Ranger, is also expected to appear shortly after. Ranger, says the article, should have 'some sort of connection to a new Pokémon movie and TV anime series, though it's unlikely we'll see either of those in PAL territories (Let's hope Zordon makes an appearance - Ed).

As for Diamond and Pearl, both games will be set in a new land, but one populated by everybody's favourite, familiar Pokémon. Apparently, there will certainly be new Pokémon included, but there won't be any new types. Boo! Some form of connectivity is promised for the GBA and DS titles though, allowing for previous captured Pokémon to be ported over - presumably by putting Game Boy carts in at the same time as the DS card. Yay!

Finally, the touch screen will definitely be used during play in Diamond and Pearl and both will support up to 16-player Wi-Fi in some sense or other.
By palgn.com.au

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I stopped playing R/S once my friends stopped, so I never caught all the pokemon, and I never bothered to get all the rare pokemon, but now that you can trade between R/S/Fr/Lf/D/P, it might be worth it to go back and try to get all the pokemon. I never bought Fire Red or Leaf Green because I didn't have anyone to play with...

RichBrown

Smash Master
So what fancy metal comes after this? Pokemon Copper/Iron?

I had originally dropped off pokemon sapphire a long long time ago because raising an incredible team to lv. 100 merely to get a gold shield just wasnt worth it. until recently i had no one to play with...

a few days ago i got spontaneous and rode my bike about 3 miles and picked up pokemon emerald for no apparent reason. i think i did it because i wanted to finish off my pokedex. i really cant remember what compelled me.

i had no clue that emerald was so big, and how many different things were truly in it. and so TheMasterFoot is hooked once more...

i originally swore NOT to buy a nintendo DS, but now i dont think i have a choice, i MUST get diamond/pearl.... there are 7 year old twins who i baby sit frequently on my street, and they finally got pokemon games, so now i finally have someone to battle too.

i really dont mind more new poke's, as long as they dont add too many... and yes, baby pokemon piss me off, they are only there because the stupid creators ran out of ideas and decided to backtrack to fill the space. ****.

im curious as to what the new starters will be, if they bring in new starters... thats the super staple of every pokemon generation. gah, im 9 years old again...

pictish freak

Smash Ace
I'm all for new pokemon. There's been ceaseless whining when every pokemon game came out about the new pokemon, but I've never bothered.

No new pokemon = Stagnant metagame.

Maybe not right away... but new pokemon means a dynamic shift in what's good ^_^ that's fun.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
o.k., this is my first post, but here it goes...

1. for that master foot guy... DARK HAS BEEN A PHYSICAL MOVE SENSE JOHTO!

2. why is every one so upset that there's going to be more pokemon? what, your T rated rpgs don't have enough characters?

3. yes, i agree that baby pokemon are weak, BUT THEY LEARN POWERFUL MOVES THERE EVOLVED FORMS CAN NEVER LEARN! THEY ARE NOT COMPLETELY USELESS!

well, that blew off some steam...

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
I heard somewhere that Nintendo was expirementing with how many pokemon you would start the game off with. Perhaps you would start with three 'starters' instead of picking just one?

Master.Lord.Marth.

Smash Journeyman
HeroOfTime said:
I heard somewhere that Nintendo was expirementing with how many pokemon you would start the game off with. Perhaps you would start with three 'starters' instead of picking just one?
Now that would be sweet. No more begging a friend to hold your starter so that you could restart the game to get the other two.

Dark is physical. Unless they changed it in Hoenn, it is physical. Check the player guides.

They have changed it, dark is a special attack.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
HeroOfTime said:
No it isn't. There haven't even been any screenshots of the game, forget about boxarts.
Yes, there has :p . In (if you have) AOL serch, type in 'Pokemon Pearl.' On the bottom, it will show advertisements for pearl and box art. I'm not sure about google image search, though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Zook? That is clearly fake. And take what stratagy guides say as a suggestion. They allways have something important wrong.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
A few changes coming in DP:

Zapdos gets Metal Sound. This means Blissey and Snorlax will not like switching in to stop it, as Metal Sound lowers their SDef, allowing Zappy to put a huge dent in them. Regice, who has clear body, will therefore spike up in use in Netbattle with Zapdos. It also gets Baton Pass, practically killing Jolteon's only advantage. The only real advantage that Jolteon has now is its speed. Zapdos is going to be EVERYWHERE on Netbattle. o.o The other birds get some stuff, as well, making Articuno a bit useful and Moltres a bit more popular.

I believe Snorlax might be getting Selfdestruct like he did in the RBY days. Not bad, considering that most pokemon with Explosion don't get STAB.

Ampharos gets Heal Bell, making it interesting for UnderUsed. I believe Dragonite does, as well.

There are more changes, but most of them are pretty much useless (lol refresh Sharpedo).

pictish freak

Smash Ace
Yeah, Zapdos use might really spike up, looking at the current metagame.

Then you think about all the new pokes. Somehow, I think the majority of change will likely come from everyone trying to find the next skarm/bliss combos in the new pokes.

Mind you, whatever happens It'll be **** interesting to watch =D

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I R, where did you get this info? It seems to be the moves some can learn in XD, not DP...

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
Zook said:
Yes, there has :p . In (if you have) AOL serch, type in 'Pokemon Pearl.' On the bottom, it will show advertisements for pearl and box art. I'm not sure about google image search, though.
Rofl newbie.

Someone earlier was displeased with Snorlax's "evolution"?

Munchlax is his pre-evolution, for the record.

Manene = Mr. Mime's pre-evolution.

Bonsly = Sudowoodo's pre-evolution.

Manyula = Sneasle's evolution.

Just so clear up some confusion, if there is some left.

Anyways, I am VERY excited for the 4th gen of Pokemon. Disappointed it will be on DS, though. I love how compact GBA is, and with Micro coming out... it will never leave my pocket. So, if Nintendo plans on having it on the DS (which they obviously do)... they had better make it worth playing on it. :]

I_R_Hungry said:
A few changes coming in DP:

Zapdos gets Metal Sound. This means Blissey and Snorlax will not like switching in to stop it, as Metal Sound lowers their SDef, allowing Zappy to put a huge dent in them. Regice, who has clear body, will therefore spike up in use in Netbattle with Zapdos. It also gets Baton Pass, practically killing Jolteon's only advantage. The only real advantage that Jolteon has now is its speed. Zapdos is going to be EVERYWHERE on Netbattle. o.o The other birds get some stuff, as well, making Articuno a bit useful and Moltres a bit more popular.

I believe Snorlax might be getting Selfdestruct like he did in the RBY days. Not bad, considering that most pokemon with Explosion don't get STAB.

Ampharos gets Heal Bell, making it interesting for UnderUsed. I believe Dragonite does, as well.

There are more changes, but most of them are pretty much useless (lol refresh Sharpedo).

Where did you get this information?

This isn't DP news, this is XD Gale of Darkness news.

Wrong thread.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Remember how Ash's mom is living with a Mr. Mime she found? That he's their "gardener" and "family friend"? And you'd think that Ash's mom has been getting lonely waiting for her husband all those years...

Well, say hello to Ash's new stepdad and little brother.

Ash's mom + Mr. Mime = Manene

It even kind of resembles her...

FireKP1

Smash Lord
mic_128 said:
Rukario is almost definetly going to be in.
mic_128 is correct. Rukario the Steel/Fighting pokemon will definetly be in P/D. By the way I saw the release date for this game in Japan. They say sometime in 2006. Oh and by the way Munchlax and Bonsly have already appeared in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. And I've heard that Munchlax will be in a episode of pokemon in a while.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
FireKP1 said:
By the way I saw the release date for this game in Japan. They say sometime in 2006.
Obviously. If you read the topic, you'll see someone said that in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom