• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No I'm not. That's what you're thinking.

What I'm meaning is that I'm not wanting to get hit by Witch Time. The only times I'd want Witch Time to activate is when a projectile comes towards Bayonetta and I'm too far for her to activate it on me.

Otherwise, I'd just let them use Witch Time and whiff it, which means very free punish with another grab.
You said you wait for 3 WTs and get hit

That's not even a good option as if you're too far away, there's no reason to bloody use WT

That would mean you yourself get more predictable too, so that doesn't necessarily make it an advantageous matchup. Not to mention everything else you mentioned could easily be torn apart from anyone remotely knowing what to do as Bayo

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
You said you wait for 3 WTs and get hit

That's not even a good option as if you're too far away, there's no reason to bloody use WT

That would mean you yourself get more predictable too, so that doesn't necessarily make it an advantageous matchup. Not to mention everything else you mentioned could easily be torn apart from anyone remotely knowing what to do as Bayo
Here's the context of the first thing. So think of it this way; when Witch Time whiffs or connects, the time that Bayonetta has to punish a character decreases slowly. What I mean is that I fool the Bayonetta into using the move, but not activating it. Which means, as a result, if I'm hit by Witch Time after the second or third time, the window to punish me is very short. So there'd be very little risk in me going a little more aggressive.

To skip the second and go to the third...

You act like I don't know this already, that I might end up getting a bit predictable. Of course I'd get predictable, so I'll just end up changing what I'm doing to something else. I wouldn't use the tactic all the time, since there's other scenarios that would play out. Maybe Bayonetta uses Afterburner Kick as I shield. Maybe Bayonetta jumps. Aerials. Air Dodge. I don't know what the opponent will do, I can only predict and react accordingly.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
KEN and Yoc pairing Sonic and Corrin together is interesting. Does Corrin cover any particular matchup for Sonic, in KEN's case (since he's normally a Sonic main, while Yoc is normally Corrin)?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's the context of the first thing. So think of it this way; when Witch Time whiffs or connects, the time that Bayonetta has to punish a character decreases slowly. What I mean is that I fool the Bayonetta into using the move, but not activating it. Which means, as a result, if I'm hit by Witch Time after the second or third time, the window to punish me is very short. So there'd be very little risk in me going a little more aggressive.

You act like I don't know this already, that I might end up getting a bit predictable. Of course I'd get predictable, so I'll just end up changing what I'm doing to something else. I wouldn't use the tactic all the time, since there's other scenarios that would play out. Maybe Bayonetta uses Afterburner Kick as I shield. Maybe Bayonetta jumps. Aerials. Air Dodge. I don't know what the opponent will do, I can only predict and react accordingly.
But that means the Bayo has to whiff that often, and good bayos don't whiff like their life depends on it. Not to mention how the punish could still be good depending on what's done, there's still a good reward there, just not as good as otherwise. This would only work on someone who has no clue what they're doing, and it's not like Bayonetta NEEDS Witch Time to punish
But that's a problem as Bayonetta's known for a great advantage state and the way I see it, she can switch from aggressive to defensive play without much difficulty.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675

If a Bayo is whiffing Witch Time unintentionally and using it more than twice before letting it "recharge" or "reset" then you're fighting a really bad Bayoneta. Watch Salem. He purposely whiffs a few times against projectiles but all in all is nearly flawless. I'll post a video here shortly for you

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
KEN and Yoc pairing Sonic and Corrin together is interesting. Does Corrin cover any particular matchup for Sonic, in KEN's case (since he's normally a Sonic main, while Yoc is normally Corrin)?
From what I heard Ken pulled out Corrin once and it didn't work. However I am wondering how good the reverse is, :4sonic: can cover :4corrin:'s bad MUs where his weakness in mobility is exploited (An exception being :4fox: as they both struggle with him). With so many top players occasionally using :4corrin: (nah its always:4corrinf:) whether its for doubles or singles I'm curious if Corrin will be more of a future counterpick/secondary in the meta, not to the lv of :4cloud2: but somewhere around the area of :4mario:.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
But that means the Bayo has to whiff that often, and good bayos don't whiff like their life depends on it. Not to mention how the punish could still be good depending on what's done, there's still a good reward there, just not as good as otherwise. This would only work on someone who has no clue what they're doing, and it's not like Bayonetta NEEDS Witch Time to punish
But that's a problem as Bayonetta's known for a great advantage state and the way I see it, she can switch from aggressive to defensive play without much difficulty.
I agree that she doesn't always need it to punish. Some of my opponents don't even use it unless they're guaranteed to hitting it.

In terms of Link's D-Throw > Up Tilt combo, it's quite literally the go-to punishing move against Link. Not all of the moves she'll churn out will be effective punishes against that little combo.

And I understand she can turn defensive, but mind telling me what other tactics there are for her defensive play? I'd actually want to know so in case I see it with some opponents, I can find efficient ways to punish them.

I'll post a video here shortly for you
Well, multiple examples is better than just one single example.
But I'll look some up on YouTube or something and analyze them in spare time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I agree that she doesn't always need it to punish. Some of my opponents don't even use it unless they're guaranteed to hitting it.

In terms of Link's D-Throw > Up Tilt combo, it's quite literally the go-to punishing move against Link. Not all of the moves she'll churn out will be effective punishes against that little combo.

And I understand she can turn defensive, but mind telling me what other tactics there are for her defensive play? I'd actually want to know so in case I see it with some opponents, I can find efficient ways to punish them.

I'm not an expert as I mostly lurk to learn ****, but from what I've seen, Bayo just plays bait and punish or uses her *ahem* 'bad neutral' meme. Even then, I'm still waiting for someone like i dunno emblem lord to dissect the entire argument you have

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I'm not an expert as I mostly lurk to learn ****, but from what I've seen, Bayo just plays bait and punish or uses her *ahem* 'bad neutral' meme. Even then, I'm still waiting for someone like i dunno emblem lord to dissect the entire argument you have
Most regulars just ignore Radical Larry, just sayin.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Here's a set from SU Fire fighting Gluttony, France's best player as of now.

:150:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675

https://youtu.be/wLE4yrjRvyk
This is probably my favorite set in all of Smash 4. Im not sure how to bookmark the video for you so I'll just give you some time stamps.

12:10 This is just cool and im sure could see some use against Link's Bombs
14:10 commentators say that Salem hasn't been punished for throwing out a witch time (which is wrong, he got punished at 13:25). But in general, it's really hard to punish witch time, surprisingly. Just look at 14:03 where ZeRo gets punished because of a whiffed Witch Time.
14:33 yet again demonstrating how difficult it can be to punish Witch Time as it cancels her landing lag
19:39 an example of how Bat Within can close stocks (nothing to do with Witch Time but worth showing)
20:10 and again shortly after. Salem tries to use Witch Time but it doesn't come out fast enough. But Smart use of Witch Time as ZeRo is close and likes to throw his banana to go for dtilt > UpSmash and Grab combos.
20:50 - 21:30 Salem used Witch Time 4 times and was STILL able to make use of it when he used it for the 5th time

You can watch the whole thing as, in general, it gives you a new perspective on Witch Time. The time it takes to "reset" is actually kinda short and Bayo has nice defensive options that open up into lengthy combos that further stall into "recharging" Witch Time.

Basically, while Witch Time isn't eveything, Salem showcases just how great it can be here.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk about how dumb pocket Cloud is?

The most recent example should be enough proof alone. Mr. R 3-0ed Dabuz with pocket Cloud after going down 0-2 with his main since the beginning. And afaik that's literally the first time Mr. R has busted out Cloud at a major. Possibly, ever period.

And it's not like Cloud is a 7-3 matchup vs Rosa or anything. The character just seems insanely easy to use and be successful with. A day 1 Cloud should not be beating top players. Considering how common he is, matchup inexperience isn't an excuse either.

It's also not like Mr. R put a lot of thought into the pick. If he had extensively practiced that particular matcup and a lot of planning went into it it'd be a different story. But we know this isn't the case as Cloud wasn't even his first choice, he tried Sheik and Bayo first like last time. So clearly Cloud was a hail mary option that worked out which is silly.

I don't even think he's too good or anything, I wouldn't even put him in the top 5. But when it comes to ease of use, carrying players and the ability to be played at the highest level, he's clearly in a tier of his own and that's a problem in a competitive game.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Mr.R does not have a day one Cloud.

Bad Clouds are ez.

Anyways, we are kinda glossing over link's best trait vs Bayo... that grab! Range, speed, consistent damage coming out of it... its what you want vs Bayo, though his other traits fall short.

Does his faster fast fall have any effect on SDI down being more effective?

And his grab actually makes bayo bair a mixup kinda risk. It isnt punishable straight out, but once she hits it shes gotta gtfo, instead of sit there menancingly making you doubt yourself/hitting WTime on an OoS toss on reaction. Its definitely something.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
https://youtu.be/wLE4yrjRvyk
This is probably my favorite set in all of Smash 4. Im not sure how to bookmark the video for you so I'll just give you some time stamps.

12:10 This is just cool and im sure could see some use against Link's Bombs
I agree with most of what you have been saying but bombs are different than gyros and bananas. If a bomb hits a shield it no longer counts as an active hitbox but it still has a hurtbox so Bayo can't drop on it and WT (Witch time) like bananas but it will still stop her ground sideB. She could time WT to when it explodes but I would hope Link is somewhere behind the bomb throwing boomerangs and arrows at her. Bombs blow up 220 frames from being spawned -23 frames of bomb pull lag and 4-8 to throw at fastest so you have about 3 seconds to use Link's bombs against him if you catch it. Link should delay throws to prevent this too. Most of the time catching Link's bombs is more of a hindrance to the opponent, unlike gyros or bananas (unless you have bucket or PSIMagnet).

With that said it is possible to WT bombs and the AoE properties of WT make it more dangerous to projectile zoners than any other counter. It effects Zair and that really sucks for Link.

Link does not win against Bayo.

PS Link's upB is frame 8, not 9 OoS. Just saying.

Last edited:

ThePokéYoshi

Smash Cadet
Can we talk about how dumb pocket Cloud is?

The most recent example should be enough proof alone. Mr. R 3-0ed Dabuz with pocket Cloud after going down 0-2 with his main since the beginning. And afaik that's literally the first time Mr. R has busted out Cloud at a major. Possibly, ever period.

And it's not like Cloud is a 7-3 matchup vs Rosa or anything. The character just seems insanely easy to use and be successful with. A day 1 Cloud should not be beating top players. Considering how common he is, matchup inexperience isn't an excuse either.

It's also not like Mr. R put a lot of thought into the pick. If he had extensively practiced that particular matcup and a lot of planning went into it it'd be a different story. But we know this isn't the case as Cloud wasn't even his first choice, he tried Sheik and Bayo first like last time. So clearly Cloud was a hail mary option that worked out which is silly.

I don't even think he's too good or anything, I wouldn't even put him in the top 5. But when it comes to ease of use, carrying players and the ability to be played at the highest level, he's clearly in a tier of his own and that's a problem in a competitive game.
Mr. R has actually had a Cloud since at least BEAST 6 in February where he used him in a couple of matches, and also won the Key to PG House (which was online, but still) with him, only going Sheik once. So it's not like he just pulled him out of nowhere and got a win on Dabuz with him, he does actually play the character. And pocket Clouds don't always work out either. Kamemushi tried Cloud VS Ally at EVO, didn't work. Scatt tried Cloud VS Dabuz at Smash Con, didn't work. It just depends on the situation in my opinion. He is easy to use, but definitely not always the best option if your main doesn't work out.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Rizen you still have to at least be in JS for a frame to JC anything OoS.

8+1

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Mr. R has actually had a Cloud since at least BEAST 6 in February where he used him in a couple of matches, and also won the Key to PG House (which was online, but still) with him, only going Sheik once. So it's not like he just pulled him out of nowhere and got a win on Dabuz with him, he does actually play the character. And pocket Clouds don't always work out either. Kamemushi tried Cloud VS Ally at EVO, didn't work. Scatt tried Cloud VS Dabuz at Smash Con, didn't work. It just depends on the situation in my opinion. He is easy to use, but definitely not always the best option if your main doesn't work out.
Good points but regardless Mr. R had no planning in that pick, it was clearly spur of the moment. Again the proof being him going Sheik and Bayo first. This suggests he had no intention of using him seriously in tournament and he only went him out of desperation.

The fact that pocket Clouds can beat top players is just silly.

And sure it doesn't always work but it has worked numerous times in the past. Just from the top of my head, Anti used him at CEO set 2 to win the tournament. Ally used Cloud to beat Wrath after he 3-0ed his Mario.

And that's before going into all the players that use him in doubles.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Does his faster fast fall have any effect on SDI down being more effective?
Somewhat... Faster fallers can't get stairway'd as consistently, but bayo can come down with nair/dABK to set up an edgeguard still.

Fast fallers with good recoveries like megaman, zss, even diddy to an extent kinda get out for free until they're just screwed. But link has some issues getting back to neutral still.

And yes, cloud is dumb. All DLC except roy are dumb. We're just gonna have to get over it.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Somewhat... Faster fallers can't get stairway'd as consistently, but bayo can come down with nair/dABK to set up an edgeguard still.

Fast fallers with good recoveries like megaman, zss, even diddy to an extent kinda get out for free until they're just screwed. But link has some issues getting back to neutral still.

And yes, cloud is dumb. All DLC except roy are dumb. We're just gonna have to get over it.
I think it's mainly just Cloud. I don't see other pocket DLC characters taking out top players. Only dedicated mains.

The point being that with other characters even if you are "fundamentally" a top player you can't easily pick up whomever you want and instantly start beating other top players with them. It takes, time, dedication and a lot more effort in general. Salem for instance, despite the 1.1.6 patch happening several months ago, has only recently started to put up top level results with the character, it didn't happen suddenly out of nowhere.

With that said considering Cloud, Mewtwo and Bayo are all top 10 material given their results, there does seem to be a disproportionate number of great DLC characters compared to most of the cast. But that's to be expected, if DLC characters were bad, they'd get far fewer sales.

And it's not bad enough to the point of making the game pay2win except for maybe Cloud again not because he's better than everyone but simply due to ease of use.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467

What's so dumb about Lucas? He's probably the most honest DLC character that isn't as unviable as Roy.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
... why do I feel like people are always forgetting about Fatality? Hasn't the dude placed like 9th or 13th [or higher] at just about every major tournament recently? Basically since Genesis in the beginning of the year he always finds his way up there through losers bracket and collects some impressive wins on the way. Added up his results / wins are possibly better than Tweek's or Mr E's.

:059:
I decided to do a bit more research into each player's set history from 1.1.6 onwards:

Notable set wins:
ScAtt (2-1) (Momocon 2016)
NAKAT (2-1) (KTAR XVIII)
Day (3-2) (Apex 2016)
Trevonte (2-?) (EVO 2016)
Salem (2-?) (EVO 2016)
ZeRo (2-1) (EVO 2016)
Rich Brown (2-1) (EVO 2016)
JJROCKETS (2-1) (Endgame)
6WX (3-1) (Smashadelphia II)
Seagull Joe (3-2) (Glitch 2)
John Numbers (3-0) (Glitch 2)
8BitMan (3-1) (Glitch 2)
Tweek (3-2) (Glitch 2)
Pink Fresh (3-2) (Glitch 2)
Dabuz (3-0) (Invasion 8)
Nick Riddle (2-0) (TBH6)
Calculus (2-0) (TBH6)
WaDi (3-1) (TBH6)

Set losses:
Ally (2-3) (GOML 2016)
PikaPika! (2-3) (GOML 2016)
Mew2King (1-2) (Momocon 2016)
Vinnie (1-3) (Momocon 2016)
Venia x2 (S@X)
Tweek (2-3) (KTAR XVIII)
Salem (1-3) (KTAR XVIII)
Nietono (0-2) (Apex 2016)
James (2-3) (Apex 2016)
Mr. R (0-2) (CEO 2016)
Master Raven (1-2) (CEO 2016)
Vinnie (1-2) (EVO 2016)
Marss (0-2) (EVO 2016)
Larry Lurr (0-3) (2GGT: KTAR Saga)
VoiD (0-3) (2GGT: KTAR Saga)
Ryo (1-2) (SSC 2016)
Rayquaza07 (1-2) (SSC 2016)
Ally (1-2) (Endgame)
Dan (1-3) (Endgame)
ZeRo (2-3) (Shine 2016)
Craftis (1-3) (Shine 2016)
Dugan (1-2) (Collision XIV)
ADHD (0-2) (Collision XIV)
Salem (0-3) (Smashadelphia II)
6WX (1-3) (Smashadelphia II)
Pink Fresh (2-3) (Glitch 2)
ANTi (1-3) (TBH6)
Mr. R (2-3) (TBH6)

Notable set wins:
Puppeh (2-0) (Paradigm Shift)
C3PO (2-0) (Momocon 2016)
ScAtt (2-0) (Momocon 2016)
TheReflexWonder (2-1) (Momocon 2016)
Seagull Joe (2-?) (CEO 2016)
Zenyou (2-0) (CEO 2016)
FOW (2-1) (CEO 2016)
Mister Eric (2-1) (S@X)
Brawlman1K (3-0) (WTFox 2)
Player-1 (3-0) (WTFox 2)
Dunnobro (2-?) (Smash @ the Cave)
Remzi (2-?) (Smash @ the Cave)
Zage (2-?) (Smash @ the Cave)
Xerom (2-?) (Smash @ The Cave)
DKwill (2-0) (Super Smash Con 2016)
True Blue (2-0) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Master Raven (2-1) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Marss (3-1) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Price Ramen (2-?) (Smash Conference LXVII)
Dan (2-0) (TBH6)
Pugwest (2-0) (TBH6)
Samsora (3-2) (TBH6)
Cosmos (3-1) (TBH6)
Ri-ma (3-2) (TBH6)

Set losses:
ESAM (0-3) (Paradigm Shift)
ESAM (?-3) (Paradigm Shift)
Wrath (1-2) (Momocon 2016)
Ally (0-2) (Momocon 2016)
Larry Lurr (1-2) (CEO 2016)
VoiD (0-2) (CEO 2016)
WaDi (1-2) (S@X)
WaDi (1-2) (S@X)
Mew2King (0-3) (WTFox 2)
Mr. R (0-3) (WTFox 2)
Sinnyboo242 (1-2) (Nexus)
Tyroy (0-2) (Nexus)
Captain Zack (0-2) (Clutch City Clash)
ScAtt (0-2) (Clutch City Clash)
K9 (?-2) (Smash @ the Cave)
K9 (?-2) (Smash @ the Cave)
VoiD (2-3) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Dabuz (2-3) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Salem (0-2) (Smash Conference LXVII)
FBC Leoheart (1-2) (Smash Conference LXVII)

Notable set wins:
CaptAwesum (2-0) (KTAR XVIII)
Mr. E (3-2) (KTAR XVIII)
6WX (3-1) (KTAR XVIII)
Hyuga (2-1) (CEO 2016)
Cyve (2-?) (EVO 2016)
WaDi (3-0) (Wii Bear Bairs)
Nick Riddle (2-0) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Seagull Joe (2-0) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Zinoto (3-1) (Super Smash Con 2016)
JJROCKETS (2-0) (Endgame)
Salem (3-1) (Collision XIV)
Nairo (3-2) (Collision XIV)
Raptor (2-0) (Glitch 2)
8BitMan (3-0) (Glitch 2)
JK (2-0) (TBH6)
JJROCKETS (2-0) (TBH6)
Larry Lurr (3-2) (TBH6)

Set losses:
Dabuz (2-3) (KTAR XVIII)
Nairo (1-3) (KTAR XVIII)
False (0-2) (CEO 2016)
Falln (1-2) (CEO 2016)
Earth (0-2) (EVO 2016)
Pugwest (0-2) (EVO 2016)
WaDi (2-3) (Wii Bear Bairs)
WaDi (1-3) (Wii Bear Bairs)
6WX (0-2) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Marss (1-3) (Super Smash Con 2016)
Zinoto (0-2) (Endgame)
DarkShad (0-2) (Endgame)
Salem (2-3) (Collision XIV)
Salem (2-3) (Collision XIV)
Pink Fresh (1-3) (Glitch 2)
Mr. E (2-3) (Glitch 2)
ZeRo (0-3) (TBH6)
Mr. R (0-3) (TBH6)

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
This is what I think the DLC tier list looks like right now. This is based off results, not possible future potential.

1. Mewtwo.
Over a long period of time this character has shown consistency and results at the highest level moreso than any other DLC character. And now we have more Mewtwo mains than just Aba doing it big with Wadi and Rich Brown stepping it up lately.

2. Cloud.
The reason I put him under Mewtwo is because he's not as consistent. There's no solo or near solo Cloud main that's too consistent at majors. Sure Komo just got 3rd at the latest one but he also went Sonic and this is the first time he's been in top 8 at a US major, normally he's eliminated much earlier. M2K Is also very inconsistent. This likely has to do with Cloud's design, he's the glass canon of Smash 4.

3. Bayo.
Her results just keep getting better and better. However she has yet to have a breakout performance at a major. Salem was just shy of top 8 at TBH6 which while still very impressive, is not on the level of the constant top 8s/16s we've seen from Mewtwo and Clouds.

Agree? Disagree? Let me know why.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I don't think a pocket Cloud would've won Game 5 the way Mr. R's Cloud did, in those circumstances.

Dude ran back a defecit of 100% against a clean stock and was at literally 150% vs. 2 purple pikmins AND A BLUE PIKMIN and y'all are saying **** like "Cloud beats top players" and not "wow Mr. R's fundamentals are really good, I can't believe he pulled that off!"?

Disgusting. Should be focusing on the player interactions and not just on the characters, smh.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Are we really on this again because Mr. R played really well/Dabuz was unprepared?

"Pocket" Clouds (I really hesitate to call these well-practiced chars pockets) have worked at a top level precisely twice, once at CEO and once at TBH6. There's been so many failed ones but we don't bring those up.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Cloud being a great secondary character is about as old as old news could possibly get.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
I don't think a pocket Cloud would've won Game 5 the way Mr. R's Cloud did, in those circumstances.

Dude ran back a defecit of 100% against a clean stock and was at literally 150% vs. 2 purple pikmins AND A BLUE PIKMIN and y'all are saying **** like "Cloud beats top players" and not "wow Mr. R's fundamentals are really good, I can't believe he pulled that off!"?

Disgusting. Should be focusing on the player interactions and not just on the characters, smh.
He had max rage and killed Olimar center stage at 77 percent with LCS. It was a good comeback but let's not pretend Cloud and Smash 4's bad design choices (rage) had nothing to do with it.

Are we really on this again because Mr. R played really well/Dabuz was unprepared?

"Pocket" Clouds (I really hesitate to call these well-practiced chars pockets) have worked at a top level precisely twice, once at CEO and once at TBH6. There's been so many failed ones but we don't bring those up.
Ally beat Wrath with a pocket Cloud, MK Leo also beat Dabuz with Cloud and what about doubles where top players often ditch their mains and use him instead? I'm sure if you looked harder, you'd find several more examples of it working. People wouldn't attempt it all the time if it rarely worked.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace

I'll bite. If a player can beat another player of equivalent strength in their first instance of playing a character against a player of equivalent strength, and couldn't with their main of 2 years, then that would speak a lot to the character that they used well to win the set, regardless of what you call it.

A pocket Cloud doesn't mean someone picking Cloud for the first time ever on the CSS, it means pulling out Cloud (that may have been practiced out of bracket or against weaker players) after losing with a main.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
He had max rage and killed Olimar center stage at 77 percent with LCS. It was a good comeback but let's not pretend Cloud and Smash 4's bad design choices (rage) had nothing to do with it.
Within the confines of the game the exact same **** could've happened back, don't care. Cloud is how the game is and attempting to downplay it because of "poor design choices" is a failure to accept what this game is. Rage and comebacks like this are a fundamental part of the game, Limit Side-B or not.

If he had ****ed up on that LCS he would've been dead, plain and simple. I am almost 100% positive Olimar's grab range could punished it or he could've just camped a bit more after a whiff/shield and just blue pikmin dunked him. There is absolutely no way he would not have died, 2 purples and a blue pikmin on LYLAT at like 150% is a special kind of hell and I am genuinely surprised Mr. R had the mental fortitude to come out of that and win, but we'd rather focus on the fact that he didn't do it with Sheik rather than the fact that he did it at all. That's the real thing that separates weaker players from stronger ones in this game, the ability to look beyond solely character matchups and focus on player interactions.

For the record Smash 4 is a myriad of poor design choices and rambling about it as if it's old news or news that surprises anyone is pretty futile. You could talk about Rage, random untechables winning sets, horizontal vectoring killing the usage of a few moves for their intended purposes optimally, the aerial input lock buffer, the 6f of input lag (this is a minor issue vs. the rest), the existence of a Z-Axis....

Simply put I do not respect the statements provided at all.

verbatim verbatim if you demonstrate extensive knowledge of a character I don't call that a pocket. I don't know who tf does, my friend had a pocket Kim in KOFXIII because he never practiced Kim but just did ****, used him when he felt like it. I have a pocket Ken in Super Turbo, I do not have a pocket Balrog because I regularly practice Balrog.

Doubles is an entire story and that's an incredibly fair argument, I won't challenge that as it's not relevant to Mr. R's success here at all.

What you described in the case of Mr. R is legitimately what we call a "secondary" when it comes to anything else besides Cloud, apparently. Keep in mind Mr. R won the entire qualifier that LET HIM COMPETE IN THIS TOURNAMENT with Cloud and like, Bayo I believe.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Cloud being a great secondary character is about as old as old news could possibly get.

I don't like the word secondary being used here.
Secondary implies you use him for some matchups and he's your most used character after your main.

We both know that's not what Cloud is.

People are finding more success with Cloud than several other characters they've no doubt spend hundreds of more hours practising.

It's like hard work, dedication, character loyalty etc. means nothing when it comes to Cloud.

Goombo

Smash Apprentice
I decided to do a bit more research into each player's set history from 1.1.6 onwards:

Notable set wins:
ScAtt (2-1) (Momocon 2016)
NAKAT (2-1) (KTAR XVIII)
Day (3-2) (Apex 2016)
Trevonte (2-?) (EVO 2016)
Salem (2-?) (EVO 2016)
ZeRo (2-1) (EVO 2016)
Rich Brown (2-1) (EVO 2016)
JJROCKETS (2-1) (Endgame)
6WX (3-1) (Smashadelphia II)
Seagull Joe (3-2) (Glitch 2)
John Numbers (3-0) (Glitch 2)
8BitMan (3-1) (Glitch 2)
Tweek (3-2) (Glitch 2)
Nick Riddle (2-0) (TBH6)
Calculus (2-0) (TBH6)
WaDi (3-1) (TBH6)

Set losses:
Ally (2-3) (GOML 2016)
PikaPika! (2-3) (GOML 2016)
Mew2King (1-2) (Momocon 2016)
Vinnie (1-3) (Momocon 2016)
Venia x2 (S@X)
Tweek (2-3) (KTAR XVIII)
Salem (1-3) (KTAR XVIII)
Nietono (0-2) (Apex 2016)
James (2-3) (Apex 2016)
Mr. R (0-2) (CEO 2016)
Master Raven (1-2) (CEO 2016)
Vinnie (1-2) (EVO 2016)
Marss (0-2) (EVO 2016)
Larry Lurr (0-3) (2GGT: KTAR Saga)
VoiD (0-3) (2GGT: KTAR Saga)
Ryo (1-2) (SSC 2016)
Rayquaza07 (1-2) (SSC 2016)
Ally (1-2) (Endgame)
Dan (1-3) (Endgame)
ZeRo (2-3) (Shine 2016)
Craftis (1-3) (Shine 2016)
Dugan (1-2) (Collision XIV)
ADHD (0-2) (Collision XIV)
Salem (0-3) (Smashadelphia II)
6WX (1-3) (Smashadelphia II)
Pink Fresh (2-3) (Glitch 2)
ANTi (1-3) (TBH6)
Mr. R (2-3) (TBH6)
Mr E also has 3-0ed Dabuz at Invasion 8.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Within the confines of the game the exact same **** could've happened back, don't care. Cloud is how the game is and attempting to downplay it because of "poor design choices" is a failure to accept what this game is. Rage and comebacks like this are a fundamental part of the game, Limit Side-B or not.

If he had ****ed up on that LCS he would've been dead, plain and simple. There is absolutely no way he would not have died, 2 purples and a blue pikmin on LYLAT at like 150% is a special kind of hell and I am genuinely surprised Mr. R had the mental fortitude to come out of that and win, but we'd rather focus on the fact that he didn't do it with Sheik rather than the fact that he did it at all. That's the real thing that separates weaker players from stronger ones in this game, the ability to look beyond solely character matchups and focus on player interactions.

For the record Smash 4 is a myriad of poor design choices and rambling about it as if it's old news or news that surprises anyone is pretty futile. You could talk about Rage, random untechables winning sets, horizontal vectoring killing the usage of a few moves for their intended purposes optimally, the aerial input lock buffer, the 6f of input lag (this is a minor issue vs. the rest), the existence of a Z-Axis....

Simply put I do not respect the statements provided at all.

verbatim verbatim if you demonstrate extensive knowledge of a character I don't call that a pocket. I don't know who tf does, my friend had a pocket Kim in KOFXIII because he never practiced Kim but just did ****, used him when he felt like it. I have a pocket Ken in Super Turbo, I do not have a pocket Balrog because I regularly practice Balrog.

Doubles is an entire story and that's an incredibly fair argument, I won't challenge that as it's not relevant to Mr. R's success here at all.

What you described in the case of Mr. R is legitimately what we call a "secondary" when it comes to anything else besides Cloud, apparently.
He would not have died. LCS has barely any ending lag and is safe on block, that's why you see Clouds throw it out all the time in neutral. That was a no risk option from Mr. R, it wasn't a gamble at all. Unless Dabuz pre-emptively rolled behind him which would have been a hard read on the EXACT moment he was about to do it (and if he was wrong Mr.R could LCS the roll on reaction making it a huge gamble).

And I'd say the increased input lag in Smash 4 is pretty significant. It might only be about a frame or two more than Brawl but that could be the difference between reacting and not reacting to something in time. It makes the game more guess heavy than it should be and probably plays at least a small role in Smash 4's inconsistent results.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
If he had ****ed up on that LCS he would've been dead, plain and simple. I am almost 100% positive Olimar's grab range could punished it
Nope
He would've lost limit, which sucks, but that's it. LCS is not punishable on block by any character afaik

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
He would not have died. LCS has barely any ending lag and is safe on block. That was a no risk option from Mr. R, it wasn't a gamble at all. Unless he pre-emptively rolled behind him which would have been a hard read on the EXACT moment he was about to do it.

And I'd say the increased input lag in Smash 4 is pretty significant. It might only be about a frame or two but that could be the difference between reacting and not reacting to something in time. It makes the game more guess heavy than it should be and probably plays at least a small role in Smash 4's inconsistent results.
LCS is -9 on block and Olimar's grab is pretty far. If Olimar blocked it he would've either grabbed or retreated some more because safety on block in Smash 4 is solely numbers (relative numbers at that) and not as significant as many would think. The reason is simple, besides shield damage this game does not have high lows nor does any more even have remotely close to enough frame advantage for the next move you do to be safe or unpunishable. This is a fighting game where only jump ins can be safe, effectively (LCS is safe in that it's effectively frame neutral except it's not because certain dashgrabs can beat it and you can roll in between certain hits of it which has been demonstrated before). If you block LCS you just fall back (or roll in between the hits), what's he threatening you with next especially at 150%? Limit charge? At 150% there were two purples and a blue, if LCS had been blocked he would've had to retreat and find enough time to fully charge up Limit (an accumulated 7.5 seconds) without getting hit because Purples AND without getting grabbed bcuz blues. If it was blocked he would've been effectively dead.

Dabuz lost cause he dropped shield and got baited, it was a genuine mistake and both players did really well. I stand unshaken.

Greward Greward Sheik can dashgrab Cloud out of it at the end, it's -9. He has no followup options after it besides retreating. Safety is far more relevant when actual followups exist and not just more guesses.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
LCS is -9 on block and Olimar's grab is pretty far. If Olimar blocked it he would've either grabbed or retreated some more because safety on block in Smash 4 is solely numbers (relative numbers at that) and not as significant as many would think. The reason is simple, besides shield damage this game does not have high lows nor does any more even have remotely close to enough frame advantage for the next move you do to be safe or unpunishable. This is a fighting game where only jump ins can be safe, effectively (LCS is safe in that it's effectively frame neutral except it's not because certain dashgrabs can beat it and you can roll in between certain hits of it which has been demonstrated before). If you block LCS you just fall back (or roll in between the hits), what's he threatening you with next especially at 150%? Limit charge?

Dabuz lost cause he dropped shield and got baited, it was a genuine mistake and both players did really well. I stand unshaken.
Olimar's grab is a 10 frame startup. And that's just the initial hitbox, it would take some time being a tether to travel across to Cloud. So yeah, a shield grab would not work.

And yes another Limit Charge would pressure him to approach or risk another early kill opportunity.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Actually he went for the grab. (Blue pikmin was on deck, then after the hit the queue has a purple)

The only way olimar could grab a LCS endlag cloud is if he's within standing grab range after (usually only happens when you're inside cloud enough for not all hits to connect) and cloud didn't buffer an option. (They... usually do) If he had to dash he doesn't have any kind of guarantee.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Olimar's grab is a 10 frame startup. And that's just the initial hitbox, it would take some time being a tether to travel across to Cloud. So yeah, a shield grab would not work.

And yes another Limit Charge would pressure him to approach or risk another early kill opportunity.
You're right, he would've had to charge for another 7.5 seconds and just not get hit at all period, that's a very realistic scenario against Dabuz. Oh did I say just hit? I mean also not grabbed latter. My apologies.

DunnoBro DunnoBro I see. Having a guaranteed punish in this scenario doesn't really matter because Cloud's pretty ****ed to begin with lol. Touch him or grab him and he effectively dies. He was at kill % for basically anything, the only way he'd be able to accrue Limit would be to just not get touched after LCS was blocked which isn't exactly easy against Dabuz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom