• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 4BR Social

Vayseth

Smash Master
Still getting caught up but wanted to say what's up to everyone here. Tier lists are difficult as we haven't had a good stable amount of time without patch interruptions. Hopefully we can have at least the summer of data to work with before we finalize another list.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I was so confused when I got that PM oh my god shrooby don't do that to me.

I'm a little shocked that I actually got in, but well, it happened. Hey everyone.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I was so confused when I got that PM oh my god shrooby don't do that to me.

I'm a little shocked that I actually got in, but well, it happened. Hey everyone.
lol
My trolling skills can only get better. Just be glad you're only in the first wave~

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Uhu, I can't ignore Sonic results anymore. *cries inside*

But also fantastic job! <3

Also hiiiiiiiiiiii to everyone here, it's so nice to meet you all! ^_^

I was like "A COLLECTIVE FLAMING INFRACTION?" and didn't move much further than bewilderment in my thought process so I totally got pranked! D:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Doing god's work Shroobers.
:applejack:
Shroobers, that's a new one lol
I've gotten shroob, shroobs, shrooby dooby doo, shroobert, and shroobius Maximus.
And I really hope nobody else calls me that last thing other than the one person who does.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Has any of the budget for 2016 been used yet? (I know this is a social not a general but seems like the best place to discuss)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Nope. We were thinking about using it for a SSC stand to get some face to face time with the community but it didn't come together in time. :o

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So I guess the backroom is pretty dead? It's not really what I expected. It seems as though it's functioning mostly around the tier list right now.
Nope. We were thinking about using it for a SSC stand to get some face to face time with the community but it didn't come together in time. :o
Okay, thanks!
IMO, we should work on some marketing.
What sort?

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin
For one, we could start up a series of discussions as articles featuring some of the members of the backroom.

Smash 4 at this point needs more coverage ASIDE from the standard eSports stuff. More metagame talks are something we should invest in.

Last edited:

Diosdi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Oni-Link-1111
3DS FC
1865-0292-7344
I agree with Popi. Liberation was a part of the writing team for a long time and still only TLs and follow ups appeared in the front page. Articles are always a good way to spotlight something, and the 4br needs so.

Aside from this, quick question: how do you guys discuss certain topics? Like, caan we bring up topics to discuss in a new thread or does somebody decide what to discuss? Cuz i hae various ideas for topics of interest

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I agree with Popi. Liberation was a part of the writing team for a long time and still only TLs and follow ups appeared in the front page. Articles are always a good way to spotlight something, and the 4br needs so.

Aside from this, quick question: how do you guys discuss certain topics? Like, caan we bring up topics to discuss in a new thread or does somebody decide what to discuss? Cuz i hae various ideas for topics of interest
I'd say go for it. This is a forum after all where we discuss things :p

I'm going to do a custom moves thread at some point, but need time to think about how I'm going to format the OP and my evaluation of the topic as a whole. I would just personally ask you don't make a custom moves thread for that reason, but I can't stop you.

-

In other news, right now I'm working on something cool. Working toward an equation for velocity, distance, etc...

Last edited:

Diosdi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Oni-Link-1111
3DS FC
1865-0292-7344
I would just personally ask you don't make a custom moves thread for that reason, but I can't stop you.
I was thinking on it, but I havent worked much on customs, and it would be much work for me (although i alreay have all custom moves)

However, if you would like, we could work together on it. I have some ideas and insight that could be useful.

Working toward an equation for velocity, distance, etc...
What do you mean by this? Like what are you trying to determine with this equation?

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was thinking on it, but I havent worked much on customs, and it would be much work for me (although i alreay have all custom moves)

However, if you would like, we could work together on it. I have some ideas and insight that could be useful.

What do you mean by this? Like what are you trying to determine with this equation?
I'm going to figure everything out. Distance, speed, the ties between knockback and velocity, vectoring and DI, accelerations... establish it so that we can measure these values in the real game

Diosdi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Oni-Link-1111
3DS FC
1865-0292-7344
I'm going to figure everything out. Distance, speed, the ties between knockback and velocity, vectoring and DI, accelerations... establish it so that we can measure these values in the real game
how are you going to ddo this? There are obviously in game parameters for values like that, but first you would need to fin a constant value to depart from and actually knowing what you are looking for

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
how are you going to ddo this? There are obviously in game parameters for values like that, but first you would need to fin a constant value to depart from and actually knowing what you are looking for
I'm already done with that part! Only about 2% error

Last edited:

Diosdi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Oni-Link-1111
3DS FC
1865-0292-7344
I'm already done with that part! Only about 2% error
Mind if I see it? Im curious about this. Also, if you are trying to get something with speed and mobility, you may want to be wary of terrain an tractiond differences. (This is actually one of the topics i have in min, no much discussing, but labbing)

EDIT: Prob better if we DM/ Discord (im at the Smash Press group)

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I'd like some opinions on something I've been working on, if y'all don't mind.

Here's one of my secret projects:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_IAFcQB-EnN1jC_hQ6zuGAHBx-9kD7syEMn0sbV8Ibo/edit?usp=sharing

I went through all the sets in Shine's Top 8 and recorded the opponent's percent and the user's percent for every kill. With that data, I originally wanted to compare the approximate ranges at which characters tend to kill. So I averaged the percents of when each character killed their opponents. After doing that, it became clear to me that the data wasn't showing an accurate picture. Only using data when characters kill doesn't say anything about when they fail to kill. Using Pikachu as an example, only using data when he killed said nothing about the fact that ZeRo's Diddy survived until 199%, never getting killed, during Grand Finals. And such an occurrence is important to note when talking about a character's ability to kill. So then I looked at the peak damage for every character's opponent in every individual game. Oftentimes, an opponent reached their peak damage when they were killed. But there were some key places where it was different (like in ESAM's and ZeRo's set during Grand Finals). Using the data from both of these categories (if a datum appeared in both categories, it was only used once), I averaged them and called it the survivability of the opponent, meaning how long we can expect an opponent to live against a given character. It seemed to make logical sense to me: Using the percent damage of an opponent when they were and weren't killed to come to an approximate percent range we can expect the opponent to survive 'til, thus giving us something somewhat concrete to use to compare characters' killing abilities. Then again, I could be missing something. Which is why I'm sharing this with all of you. Input from other people would certainly help and ensure that this isn't a misguided approach or something. :)

Diosdi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Oni-Link-1111
3DS FC
1865-0292-7344

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_IAFcQB-EnN1jC_hQ6zuGAHBx-9kD7syEMn0sbV8Ibo/edit?usp=sharing

I went through all the sets in Shine's Top 8 and recorded the opponent's percent and the user's percent for every kill. With that data, I originally wanted to compare the approximate ranges at which characters tend to kill. So I averaged the percents of when each character killed their opponents. After doing that, it became clear to me that the data wasn't showing an accurate picture. Only using data when characters kill doesn't say anything about when they fail to kill. Using Pikachu as an example, only using data when he killed said nothing about the fact that ZeRo's Diddy survived until 199%, never getting killed, during Grand Finals. And such an occurrence is important to note when talking about a character's ability to kill. So then I looked at the peak damage for every character's opponent in every individual game. Oftentimes, an opponent reached their peak damage when they were killed. But there were some key places where it was different (like in ESAM's and ZeRo's set during Grand Finals). Using the data from both of these categories (if a datum appeared in both categories, it was only used once), I averaged them and called it the survivability of the opponent, meaning how long we can expect an opponent to live against a given character. It seemed to make logical sense to me: Using the percent damage of an opponent when they were and weren't killed to come to an approximate percent range we can expect the opponent to survive 'til, thus giving us something somewhat concrete to use to compare characters' killing abilities. Then again, I could be missing something. Which is why I'm sharing this with all of you. Input from other people would certainly help and ensure that this isn't a misguided approach or something. :)

A thing i would recommend an average survivability would be test out every character's most optimal kill move (not only knockback or damage, but also optimal in the sens of frame data and times used, etc. ust the most optimal) of each char agains an specific char and then average all the percents said char was killed. This is of course a sshort cut but still is a way to find out a range

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

You probably will end up with some bias from your fairly niche group. Recording data from just top 8 limits the applicability away from non-top 8 circumstances.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Been working on this a lot lately, and it's finally out!

Now I can get back to other things (when I'm done with my homework... :p)

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Finally finished working on Hitstun Cancelling stuff. ^-^
Once I make my spreadsheets look pretty and such, I'll probably make a post about it in the Mechanics & Techniques Discussion thread and then maybe make a post on Reddit too later.

Link to calculator and explanation of stuff can be found in this chain of Tweets.
https://twitter.com/A10theHero/status/777739761309982720
I'm not really bothered to look through and check, but do you also account for or factor in the reeling animation? Some tests I did a while ago showed that it would let you act 1 frame sooner unless there was a cap in place. https://smashboards.com/threads/untechable-reel-animations.439039/page-2#post-21320830
Keep in mind that this was in training mode so the exact percents given will be off, but the principle holds true.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
holy nice.
How accurate is this calculator?
It should give Knockback to the 7th decimal place. I pretty much have all of the necessary data for it to output the proper result almost all of the time. The only places where there are gaps in the data are with "Frames Until Air Dodge" and "Frames Until Attack". You see, at high knockback values, "Frames Until Air Dodge" and "Frames Until Attack" change at an irregular pattern (it doesn't even follow changes in hitstun, lol). Once they pass certain knockback values, they increase by 1. I have no easy way of identifying the exact KB values for when they change. The best I could do was narrow down the possibilities. The way I collected data was by using Pikachu's Up Throw on Bayonetta at various percents and then counting the number of frames until a certain action was performed. Because Pikachu has quite a few moves that do decimal damage, I could check different percents to the tenths place. Thanks to that, the range of possibilities for each individual KB threshold is only 0.0570652. Thus, when someone uses the calculator, there is a only small chance that the calculator will give them an error. Even if someone does get an error, I ask for that to be reported to me so that I can personally recreate the situation, identify the "Frames Until Air Dodge/Attack" and further narrow down the range. So it's a win-win. c:

I'm not really bothered to look through and check, but do you also account for or factor in the reeling animation? Some tests I did a while ago showed that it would let you act 1 frame sooner unless there was a cap in place. https://smashboards.com/threads/untechable-reel-animations.439039/page-2#post-21320830
Keep in mind that this was in training mode so the exact percents given will be off, but the principle holds true.
I did not. But I will add this information to the calculator page.
The change from 120% to 121% was a change from 39 frames of hitstun to 40. So that likely means that the untechable reel animation reduces "Frames Until Air Dodge" by one only when hitstun is less than 40 frames. Over the weekend, I'll be sure to lab this myself to confirm it.

Top Bottom