• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3rd Central Alberta Smash Tournament "CAST3" - August 11th, 2007.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but I'm disagreeing now :p

On the time constratint issue, I think that it would be better to run one full double elim bracket of either crews or low tier then try to do a half *** job of both. As for which, I don't have an opinion, I'm ok with either.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
crews, everyone can play in crews.

not everyone can play in low tiers.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
B-Raaaad! GaW MM!
oh shi- we can't. Not at cast3 anyways. D:

[cocky]Oh well. Maybe later at a cast4 SF:AB or Randall's event. Give you some time to improve.
[/cocky]

Just kidding. Good luck with GaW.

I think we should start with crews. If you want playground style or if you want to form your own crew, we should take a vote now. Also, it will most likely be Single-Elimination because of time issues. If theres time, we can do low tier.

kithkin

Smash Champion
luls victra, I just decided to pick him up, I played maybe two friendlies the other day with him, I'm balls.

oh wait I played some teams, I found out I cant time G&W's neutral air to hit two synched downsmashing peaches without friendly fire.

**** YOU RILEY

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
crew battle tournaments are normally single elimination anyways.

He picked G&W up becuase i told him that he's like a bad version of shiek

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
All right, let's get this settled (seeing as we are 1 week out).

Crews, 5 Man, 20 Stock, Sinlge Elim, All neutral stage, always random.

kithkin

Smash Champion
no, thats why I played him in friendlies, cause we were all low tier and asked who I shood be.

then we did a free for all as all G&W and I liked him and actually won, so I played around and liked him.

you assisted with that but thats not why. YOU ARNT EVERYTHING LEVI.

Prophecy

Smash Rookie
Are there any big smash tourneys comming up in edmonton if not some1 should relly think of having 1

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
This one is a week away, the next big tournament in Edmonton will be like in febuary or something.
There's gonna be big one in Calgary in December as well.
Oh and there might be another one in Red Deer in like October

Tournaments in Alberta as a whole are kind of uncommon. Edmonton has been having pretty much only 1 tournament per year and as someone had said before you missed the big one in may.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Well there was going to be another but that was Taste of Carribean...

Most regions in Alberta rely on impromptu smashfests, and travelling out of town to play in tourneys (because yeah, it's pretty much a once a year thing here).

Edit: Crew suggestion from Sid and Mike.

LOW TIER FTW

Stu (Boozer), Steve (DK), Randall (Luigi), Sid (Pika Pika), Myself (Yoshi).

Fux that tier list!

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
For everyone who doesn't know me, my name is Chad and I'll be charge of running the brackets and ensuring everything runs smoothly and efficiently during the day of the event.

I've run a couple previous Smash tournies, but this one will be the largest and most ambitious so-far. I would ask for your cooperation and please don't hesitate to share your criticisms. I'll do my best to address and consernes anybody might have.

For me, the goal of this tourney is to draw people from all over Alberta and beyond, to share, learn, and enjoy Smash while testing their skills against each other in the fairest way possible. I want people to have fun, learn something new and meet other people in the Smash community.

Now about the tourney itself...

Just so everyone knows, time will likely be an issue.

I want the singles tourney to be the main event, and as such, it takes priority over all others.

As people arrive to the venue, I'll confirm them for the singles, confirm teams for doubles, and collect their entrance fees. Once everyone is there, I'll close registration and propose we start the crew battle. It's free, fun, and will allow people to warm up. More importantly, it'll allow me time to construct the singles and double brackets.

We'll be doing pools for the singles tourney, so the brackets will be as fair as possible. Because of time constraints, I would like to restrict the pools to a one-round format if possible. I understand any objections to that, but things need to move quickly if we're to have time for doubles. If you lose because of something silly in the pools, you can still make it up in the brackets.

After the singles, we'll move directly into the doubles.
There will be no pools, so bracket placement will be entirely random.

Finally, just a reminder that ANY TVs brought would be greatly appreciated. The more stations we have, the quicker we can move thru the early stages of the brackets, and the more free-play stations later.
We're all coming here because of Smash... it would be cool to actually play a few casual matches.

Extension Cords and power-bars are also greatly appreciated.

kithkin

Smash Champion
oh hey chad, that reminds me, what are you using to create the brackets?

just mind power like before? or tio? or...?

I believe I can still bring my cube.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Yay Chad! Sounds like a good plan you got going thus far. I definately like the idea of the casual format as a warmup, registration for all events at once, and also support the single round robin pools a la CT3. As for questions, how soon will we be able to get started seeing as time is a factor? Is there a registration period/deadline (say 11-12, anything earlier would mess with out of towners)?

Now, traditionally, teams are done before singles because singles is the main event of the tourney and saved for last. There is of course, however, the time constraints. That said, while I do support crew casuals as a warmup, I think it would be far better for the tournament to do the official events (where people are paying for registration and there is a pot) first, then the casual side events. Thus I suggest the order of events goes 1) teams (which can serve as a warmup to singles; If you need to warmup for teams, play casuals during registration), 2) singles and then 3) crews.

Also, has anyone confirmed that crews will be made by the players or by pre-assigned captains (vote players btw)?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Teams prior to Singles does usually make sense at larger tournaments.

Also, I'll see what I can do about getting a mobile tio-equipped laptop in order.

Also, I think it's fair to include Victra's Game & Watch in the Low Tier crew, as well. :)

Also, Sparta.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'm not gonna be there remember? D:
Plus i only started G&W when summer started and i don't think i'm ready. Hopefully i'll improve
next weekend at Gameclucks and at SeattleSmash.

Again i'm sorry, it was a random family decision to stay longer.

btw. Thanks Chad. I really appreciate it. If you need help, Sean and Brad both offered. Levi as well.

Levi, sorry i havent called yet. I need to call you tomorrow when the gameshop manager is available.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
lolwut? Am I not already helpi... no I'm directing with chad...

I won't have service on my phone untill like 9-10 bc time [10-11 alberta time]

Yes crews won't be playground style

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I mean with brackets and stuff Levi. lol. Is it am or pm?

Randall. Your tourney is gonna be so epic.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Was it recorded? Either Levi, Shawn or Alex would have it. If Alex has it, you'll never see it.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Shawn doesn't have it, I'm pretty sure Levi would have it if it was recorded, and I don't think it was.

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha. in his own crew.

but wait, whos the top tier crew? and I would put stev-o before me, but hes low tier? hmm, whos top tier crew? (nobody, lol)

MagnuM

Smash Ace
What time are we going to be kicked out of the library? It starts at 11 a.m. right? Are we to be outta there by 5 pm? Maybe we should do singles first just to make sure we complete it, since we are starting off by pools and all.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Come to KithKinko's! For all your photocopying needs!

I'm going to assume that since this is now in Chad's hands, these sort of basic tournament proceedings will be addressed before people start travelling.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Last CAST, we where able to complete doubles, singles and some brief crew and freeplay time.

And that was with a lot wasted time getting everything up and running on-the-spot.
I'll be doing some prep work this time to ensure an efficient tourney.

If I feel we can't get everything done on time, I'll start cutting events, but rest assured the singles will be completed.

The only way we won't get it done is if nobody brings any extra TVs, and Cubes. *hint hint*

Top Bottom