• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Music Hack Found!

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
honestly, you'd think the devs would give us the option to insert our own tunes to personally created content, like custom stages... and perhaps a placeholder in the event the other side doesn't have it...

a disclaimer stating that they hold no responsibility for what users put on there would go miles, perhaps deny the ability of posting it publicly, citing the same reason why there's no Mii fighters in With Anyone mode...

Project M2 here we come?? But seriously though, if they manage to mod this game just to have L-cancelling, increased hitstun and way more lag on the airdodges I will be made. Not even asking for Meleeing the game, just a few tweaks to add some much needed (imho) tech
here's some food for thought: given that progress is being made on someday cracking the 3DS version, perhaps someone can crack the code on Custom equipment and be able to generate parts with effects that can let players tweak the roster however they want... Smooth Lander means auto L-Cancelling, Anchor Jumper increases fall speed, Dodgy Dodger nerfs Rolls... take out the random element, no need to REALLY alter anything.

...*sigh* you know what, who am I kidding, I'm the screwball that likes to tinker around with what I have, and nobody serious cares or even considers equipment... they'd rather perform Operation, the C++ edition... oh well

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what would be cooler? If both the 3DS and Wii U (the systems, of course) had the ability to play music while playing the game. Just like the 360 and Vita do.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I need a WiiU version of this like, yesterday. Goodbye, EVERY SONG IN ANIMAL CROSSING

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well, Project Brawl for Wii U and 3DS here we come. :metaknight:
I am literally salivating at the thought of Project: Brawl. Somebody get on that.
But if this is real, every stage on my CD will be filled with Mario and DBZ: Budokai music.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Will once again have to hack Port Town music into the Port Town stage.... come on.... This isn't Mute City anymore!!!! (not that I don't like 'em, but seriously)

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If this guy can find an easy, non system damaging way to do this, I'd be down. I've always kind of hoped that Smash Bros. would get a mode that lets you upload and insert your own songs to play during a stage (Even though it's highly unlikely that that will ever happen.). There are so many cool (and dumb but hilarious) songs I could imagine smashing too.

While having options is nice, I have to oppose this motion.

Smash is a representation of Nintendo's history and the largest collection of video game franchises in one package. So having music exclusively from those games or based of them is the natural thing to do. It already has one the biggest soundtracks in gaming ever anyways so there is no need to insert any music alien to it.

I honestly never liked how they included non-Nintendo music in P:M. It made it feel so un-Smash.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Watch as Nintendo makes the music files part of the hax prevention next update. If it isn't already of course.
Nintendo isn't very good at anti hack/cheat detection. They're a traditional Japanese company, so unlike say, korea/US/EU, they don't put much effort into their security besides the basics. Sony is a great example of this if you want one.

So Nintendo might try to futally patch this, but since a method is already known, they can't really change things too severely I mean, how often did they try to patch the Wii to no avail?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
According to the Wii U Brew site... No, it hasn't. They've gotten code running in Wii Mode, but that basically limits you to hacks the Wii had. I guess you could try to force Wii U games to load in Wii Mode, but that would cause it to run like molasses at best, worst-case scenario it won't load at all because the Wii code can't read Wii U discs (which uses a different format). Even if you could somehow get it to run like that, it would probably crash soon because the game is trying to write to register and memory locations that don't exist, or it's using a processor instruction that doesn't exist on the Wii, or maybe it won't load/will corrupt the save data for any variety of reasons.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Oooh my! I'll be listening to Molgera's Theme on Gerudo Valley for sure! I have nooooo clue why but I just love that song...

Thy Knight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1461-7542-0706
I don't want to sound like an idiot here, seeing as most of the comments posted are in hopes for this new exploit. But I'm just wondering, if listening to custom songs while you smash is what you want; why not simply listen to your custom music via an mp3 player, phone, iPod etc? Plug in some earphones or the like and get jamming'! It's what I do.. :ohwell:

I'm not saying the person who found out how to do this wasted their time, quite an interesting find in-fact! But it's nothing new for me..

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. I don't really care about the 3DS version, nor its music, but this is definitely interesting.
Oh, and to the people talking about Project M for Smash 4, please don't. The PM Dev team has stated already that they won't do it. Unless some other extremely talented and dedicated group of modders come along, it won't happen. Plus, with DLC and patches, I don't see how it could happen.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sweet, I can get rid of the boring Menu 2 theme, add some Megaman, Sonic, Punch Out, Fire Emblem and KK Rider

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
No.
That wouldn't make any sense.

The M in Project M stands for Melee, since it's trying to recreate Melee's physics.

Having a "sequel" to it putting Melee's physics on Smash Wii U called "Project U" would be confusing.
Can we call it Project B and confuse the hell out of everyone?

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763

Smash is a representation of Nintendo's history and the largest collection of video game franchises in one package. So having music exclusively from those games or based of them is the natural thing to do. It already has one the biggest soundtracks in gaming ever anyways so there is no need to insert any music alien to it.

I honestly never liked how they included non-Nintendo music in P:M. It made it feel so un-Smash.
Do you know how boring Smashville's music is, especially in PM? lol

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nintendo isn't very good at anti hack/cheat detection. They're a traditional Japanese company, so unlike say, korea/US/EU, they don't put much effort into their security besides the basics. Sony is a great example of this if you want one.

So Nintendo might try to futally patch this, but since a method is already known, they can't really change things too severely I mean, how often did they try to patch the Wii to no avail?
Considering people have been banned for having too high a score in Classic... Yeah, I wouldn't expect this to get through for long.

And the Wii basically had no security, while the 3DS didn't have any remotely widespread hacks until Pokemon and the Wii U didn't have any real hacks until MK8 and only on old firmware. Point is that hacking won't ever be simple or easy again, and we won't be seeing anything like what happened with the Wii.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Considering people have been banned for having too high a score in Classic... Yeah, I wouldn't expect this to get through for long.

And the Wii basically had no security, while the 3DS didn't have any remotely widespread hacks until Pokemon and the Wii U didn't have any real hacks until MK8 and only on old firmware. Point is that hacking won't ever be simple or easy again, and we won't be seeing anything like what happened with the Wii.
Yeah I agree. I think Wii U and 3DS hacks will only become widespread when Nintendo ends support for the consoles.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Perfect, just perfect. I can't wait to try it, and to replace the boring start music with good, new, less boring music.

L1GHT

Adventures start At Dawn
A huge Brawl milestone occurred when people found ways to hack the game to change textures, stages, and music. This spawned many hacks and mods, the most famous among them being Project M. Recently, some people found ways to hack the 3DS music as well. BrawlBRSTMs3 released a video showing proof that this works.

At the moment, the method involved has not been released to the public, but a comment from BrawlBRSTMs3 in response to a fan may shed some light:

Question: "Ohhh you put the files in. I thought you found them. Isn't it a lot of work to put all these sounds in?"

Answer: "Currently, yes. I'm looking for an easier method that's free for everyone. I still need to test online later to see if music files are part of Nintendo's integrity checks."

For the time being it's only music and does not include textures, stages etc.

What do you guys think of this? Do you think this will open up to more 3DS hacks? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

Follow Michael on Twitter at @AsuraHedo.
lol

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

Why not pick other Nintendo music to use? That's mostly what I used the file swap code for. A lot of Brawl's remixes were just kinda "meh", so I got the BRSTM for the original and replaced it with that. Even when it was a completely different song, it was usually from a Nintendo game.

M@v

Subarashii!
Nintendo is going to patch it as soon as the method's released to the public most likely. Don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
i really dont want a "project m" for ssb4.
The dev team said they'd never do it anyway. The monumental amount of work needed to even hack Smash U in the first place (PM was developed over the course of YEARS, and for no pay either) isn't worth the C&D that would inevitably come from it.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Either this will get patched out or it'll become an actual feature in a later patch, really; if Nintendo finds out that people can do this, why not capitalize on the fact and make it an official feature that uses music stored on your SD card? They've already done it for the 3DS Music Player, so it's not alien to them. Hell, maybe even make a music sharing function like they have with replays, snapshots and Mii Fighters.

Though then it becomes a problem about online, but I suppose there could be a way to temporarily store music for everyone in an online match if needed. As long as we don't get 50 million DBZ songs, I'll be fine if customizable soundtracks become a thing.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Either this will get patched out or it'll become an actual feature in a later patch, really; if Nintendo finds out that people can do this, why not capitalize on the fact and make it an official feature that uses music stored on your SD card? They've already done it for the 3DS Music Player, so it's not alien to them. Hell, maybe even make a music sharing function like they have with replays, snapshots and Mii Fighters.

Though then it becomes a problem about online, but I suppose there could be a way to temporarily store music for everyone in an online match if needed. As long as we don't get 50 million DBZ songs, I'll be fine if customizable soundtracks become a thing.
Actually, music between systems isn't synched. I have a few stages where there's all but one or two songs turned off, and every time I play online, it only gives me the songs that I have set to appear. I could still see this as being a desync issue, though, if Sora writes the hypothetical code very poorly, or if somebody deliberately makes a song that's going to bog down their system.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
As someone who heavily (and still am heavily, I might add) made BRSTMs for Brawl, this is exciting news for me. Hopefully there will be a Wii U version not too far behind, but even having the 3DS music already is certainly good news. I gladly thank whoever had to do the digging to get this to work, and I hope that this will allow many more people to experience the wonder of custom music.

draydawg2020

Smash Cadet
NNID
draydawg2020
The dev team said they'd never do it anyway. The monumental amount of work needed to even hack Smash U in the first place (PM was developed over the course of YEARS, and for no pay either) isn't worth the C&D that would inevitably come from it.
thank god

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
No.
That wouldn't make any sense.

The M in Project M stands for Melee, since it's trying to recreate Melee's physics.

Having a "sequel" to it putting Melee's physics on Smash Wii U called "Project U" would be confusing.
Well you can't call it Project M since the name is already taken, and you can't call it Project B because, well, Brawl...

Tell me, what better name is there? Project MU?

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack in the new Smash, but I always also loved adding my own songs back in Brawl. I'd love to see this be possible again on the Wii U, though I'd probably have a hard time deciding which songs to replace and which to keep...

Top Bottom