• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Legal stages?

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
I think the reasoning behind Brinstar is that the acid stays for a much shorter time the higher up the acid goes. The acid barely gets all the way up before sinking back down for the highest level.
But the thing is, for that time, you are left with two tiny platforms to fight on. That just... doesn't seem right.
Also, I'm not sure why you're concerned with "bs saves" when you are okay with Mute City,
I sorta like Mute City, but as I said, it's very different. It should be considered. With Mute City the fact that it's always there makes it seem more reasonable when you're saved. With Brinstar, it's almost impossible to tell exactly when the acid is technically on-screen or not, so even though it is on a timer, you can get some strange and somewhat arbitrary saves.

But hey, maybe I just don't understand the stage yet. I'm willing to play on it more, I'm just confused as to why people are treating it as a definite.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
Why would anyone competent get grabbed at the top platform against Sonic?

And Brinstar works on a timer that seems identical than Brawl's.
Why would any competent Sonic not camp up there waiting for the grab, punishing every approach option?

Routa

Smash Lord
Well Brinstar has maybe the best plathform layout. The damage from lava is very small and it doesn't stay up for long. Also lava rarely rises to the highest lvl (about 2 times per match) so it it doesn't effect that much. Also the fact that the lava can be used as for your advantage for most of the time (hit enemy into lava and then follow up with Ike's Fair). Overall it is really good stage. It is like Halberd but even better.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
I might change the list and Tomodachi seems like a fine choice.
Discuss: Should Dream Land be banned?

Why would any competent Sonic not camp up there waiting for the grab, punishing every approach option?
Why would any competent character not spam uair on the third floor?
EDIT: GAH no double post plz dont ban me

Last edited by a moderator:

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
I might change the list and Tomodachi seems like a fine choice.
Discuss: Should Dream Land be banned?

Why would any competent character not spam uair on the third floor?
Spamming uair is a bad thing, and if it is the optimal strategy then perhaps the stage needs to go. Why does it seem like a fine choice? If we compare Tomadachi to a Wii U stage, we get a cross of Wrecking Crew and Luigi's Mansion, two degenerate stages.

Should Dream Land be banned? Yup, it's a scrolling stage, and screw those.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Spamming uair is a bad thing, and if it is the optimal strategy then perhaps the stage needs to go. Why does it seem like a fine choice? If we compare Tomadachi to a Wii U stage, we get a cross of Wrecking Crew and Luigi's Mansion, two degenerate stages.

Should Dream Land be banned? Yup, it's a scrolling stage, and screw those.
To be fair Luigi's Mansion's only flaw is that half the middle floor is solid, thus leading to cave of lifes and possibly circle camping even though I'm sure everyone in the cast can attack through the floor one way or another, it's not that thick.

Wrecking Crew is also much larger than Tomodachi Life.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Eh, that's not a good argument either....
The optimal strategy us to avoid crap at the top platform, so throwing Uairs to keep your opponent in a "juggled" state looks fine, they can always give up the higher floor to get into a better position.

My only concern there is the possibility of circle camping, but then again, it doesn't really see too powerful.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
This is the stage list used on the online 3ds Smashladder which I think is fine:

Starter
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox

The starter list is okay, but I would add a couple more stages to the CP list for legal 3ds stages. It would be great if these stages could be exported to the Wii u.

Omegas
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Tomodachi Life
Jungle Japes
Unova Pokemon League
Brinstar
Rest Bomb Forest

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
K Tomodachi's banned happy now banning a viable stage?
Viable? Maybe. Balanced? Nope. Campy? Yup. Etc. If we look at the good things and the bad things... Well there are more bad things in this stage so yeah, but hey we got about 8 viable stages atm.

Routa

Smash Lord
So Dreamland 64 is new 3DS stage. What you guys think? I think we have new legal stage. I mean if we make it legal then we have would have:

BF
FD/Omegas
Yoshi's Island
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Brinstar
Reset Bomb Forest
Dreamland 64
(Unova Pokémon League)

(Sorry for 3 posts in a row)

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Yeah, Dreamland is definitely a good stage. Would be a nice starter stage if we were to do it the starter/counterpick way over the full stage strike. I like the above list, with UPL included because that stage is pretty fair. Rainbow Road, Mute City and Tomodachi Life are still worth considering for less conservative stage lists.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I've played a bit on both Unova Pokémon League and Reset Bomb Forest, and I must say some things:

UPL is pretty good and N's Castle Medley is even better. Reshiram can also use Fusion Flare on the stairs and below them, and that's when it isn't a big problem. Zekrom can also push the stage with Fusion Bolt, which is worse than tilting it IMO. I approve this stage as a counterpick.

RBF's main platform at the first phase is very low, even a weak meteor could be cruel. It could be a good counterpick if the opponent isn't prepared.

Also, there's no reason to make Dream Land 64 illegal.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I don't think Unova Pokémon League should not be legal. There are times where like half of the stage is on fire, making it unplayable.
Reset Bomb Forest might work.

Also now that DL64 is here, what could be the starter stages? So far I see BF, FD, Yoshi's and DL64, but a fifth one could be neat for stage striking.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
So the stage list would look like this if we used Starter/Counterpick system:

Starters:
BF
FD/Omegas
Yoshi's Island
Prism Tower
Dreamland 64

Counterpicks:
Arena Ferox
Brinstar
Reset Bomb Forest
Unova Pokemon League

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Unova Pokémon League should not be legal. There are times where like half of the stage is on fire, making it unplayable.
Reset Bomb Forest might work.

Also now that DL64 is here, what could be the starter stages? So far I see BF, FD, Yoshi's and DL64, but a fifth one could be neat for stage striking.
1. In some matches Zekrom will appear instead of Reshiram.
2. The flames last 10 seconds.
3. Reshiram won't always attack the main platforms.
4. If it happens, you can hide below the small platforms.

Last edited:

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Stage List:
Starters
BF
FD/Omegas
DL64

Counterpicks
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower
Rainbow Road
Yoshi's Island
Paper Mario
Suzaku Castle(?)
----
Omega Choices
----
Walls
No walls
Arena Ferox

HypestTeam

Smash Journeyman
So far, in the hypest team, we concluded to make these stages legal in this format:

Starters in 3DS:

•Battlefield
•Final Destination (Omega only in CP)
•Yoshi's Island
•Dream Land 64
•Prism Tower

Counterpick in 3DS:

Arena Ferox

I could go over every aspect of why and what our choices are made of, there are a ton of arguments behind them.

Routa

Smash Lord
Nice list if you ask me, but it is kinda odd to have 6 stages. I mean I have nothing against it, but you could use 7 stage list format. I mean yeah you would have to choose one of the stages with Hazards (Brinstar or RBF), but using the stage for your benefit and stage knowledge are one of the most important thing after MU knowledge. Yeah some people may not like them, but if someone dislikes let's say Lylat Cruise, well they can just strike or use their ban on it (most of the people would still not use it, but some would). I think at least one stage with hazards could be nice. Diversity is a good thing, eh?
But I understand if you guys want to play it safe.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
If it were me i'd have this stage list:
Starters
BF
FD/Omegas
DreamLand 64

Counterpicks
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower
Yoshi's Island
Dream Land
Paper Mario
Reset Bomb Forest
Rainbow Road

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Stop adding Paper Mario to anything. It's fundamentally broken for some characters and is an obvious ban due to the third stage.

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
If it were me i'd have this stage list:
Starters
BF
FD/Omegas
DreamLand 64

Counterpicks
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower
Yoshi's Island
Dream Land
Paper Mario
Reset Bomb Forest
Rainbow Road
Dream Land? Rainbow Road? Paper Mario? Those are some pretty bad choices.

HypestTeam

Smash Journeyman
Nice list if you ask me, but it is kinda odd to have 6 stages. I mean I have nothing against it, but you could use 7 stage list format. I mean yeah you would have to choose one of the stages with Hazards (Brinstar or RBF), but using the stage for your benefit and stage knowledge are one of the most important thing after MU knowledge. Yeah some people may not like them, but if someone dislikes let's say Lylat Cruise, well they can just strike or use their ban on it (most of the people would still not use it, but some would). I think at least one stage with hazards could be nice. Diversity is a good thing, eh?
But I understand if you guys want to play it safe.

The only stage that has hazards that could of been there was Reset Bomb Forest, it was there a long time ago for quite sometime. It's there for our doubles though, with Tomodachi Life.

The problem it brings are that hazards / dragon are too disruptive to the game. Our Wii U Stagelist has stages with some "hazards" (i quote Halberd & Duck Hunt)

Some are good, although, we really want no disruption after Transformations.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
IMO:

Starter
Battlefield
FD
Yoshi's Island

Possible starter/counterpick (based on 3 or 5 stage starter)
Dream Land 64
Prism Tower

Counterpick
Arena Ferox

And that's it. Melee only has 6 stages, and the 3DS list has much more variety even then (Battlefield, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Story, anyone?)

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with some of your choices, so I'll give my list here:

Starters:
Final Destination/Ω
Battlefield
DreamLand 64

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower
Brinstar

Doubles Counterpicks:
Reset Bomb Forest
Unova Pokémon League

Tomodachi Life maybe?

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Guys posting lists without reasoning for your picks makes the post entirely irrelevant.

We all know that:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Prisim Tower
Yoshi's Island
Arena Ferox
Dreamland 64

Are all legal.

We don't need 75 lists saying so while not explaining anything that explains nothing.

We should be debating whether other stages should be legal or if any of the legal stages should be banned. And posing reasoning for why.

And just saying someone's list is bad without anything else backing it up is equally as useless.

That being said.

I believe Reset Bomb Forest is a perfectly fine stage for competitive play. Both transformations are unique to our stage list. The first transformation has an interesting layout with its platforms that form a layout sort of similar to the tree in Duck Hunt in the Wii-U, but any character can reach the top making it a tad more fair in that regard.

The second transformation is a bit more wild. But none of the things that make it that way are entirely disruptive. The caves of life are all breakable and therefore temporary. And the Luchathorn(sp?) (spine dragon thing) is very unobtrusive to the characters as it stays at the bottom for the entirety of its duration, at most saving some characters from spikes. Seeing as how the stage has low bottom platforms, gimps can generally be made back and no character's main method of killing is from the bottom.

All the obstructions are temporary and all of them are tame when they're around.

Until we have 9 solid stages I'm going with a 5 Starter Stage list.

Starter:
BattleField
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Prisim Tower
Arena Ferox

Counter Pick:
Dreamland 64*
Reset Bomb Forest

I advocate Dreamland as a counterpick so that we have 5 stages with unique layouts and attributes as starters. Dreamland is largely similar to Battlefield and having two stages that alike in the starter list benefits characters with platform pressure (Shiek, Pikachu, Marth) Making it more fair for all Match Ups.

I still prefer FLSS but I'm not going to push any unneeded stages.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Guys posting lists without reasoning for your picks makes the post entirely irrelevant.

We all know that:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Prisim Tower
Yoshi's Island
Arena Ferox
Dreamland 64

Are all legal.

We don't need 75 lists saying so while not explaining anything that explains nothing.

We should be debating whether other stages should be legal or if any of the legal stages should be banned. And posing reasoning for why.

And just saying someone's list is bad without anything else backing it up is equally as useless.

That being said.

I believe Reset Bomb Forest is a perfectly fine stage for competitive play. Both transformations are unique to our stage list. The first transformation has an interesting layout with its platforms that form a layout sort of similar to the tree in Duck Hunt in the Wii-U, but any character can reach the top making it a tad more fair in that regard.

The second transformation is a bit more wild. But none of the things that make it that way are entirely disruptive. The caves of life are all breakable and therefore temporary. And the Luchathorn(sp?) (spine dragon thing) is very unobtrusive to the characters as it stays at the bottom for the entirety of its duration, at most saving some characters from spikes. Seeing as how the stage has low bottom platforms, gimps can generally be made back and no character's main method of killing is from the bottom.

All the obstructions are temporary and all of them are tame when they're around.

Until we have 9 solid stages I'm going with a 5 Starter Stage list.

Starter:
BattleField
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Prisim Tower
Arena Ferox

Counter Pick:
Dreamland 64*
Reset Bomb Forest

I advocate Dreamland as a counterpick so that we have 5 stages with unique layouts and attributes as starters. Dreamland is largely similar to Battlefield and having two stages that alike in the starter list benefits characters with platform pressure (Shiek, Pikachu, Marth) Making it more fair for all Match Ups.

I still prefer FLSS but I'm not going to push any unneeded stages.
That's correct!

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
That's correct!
Yet no Rainbow Road
-----explamations------
Rainbow Road is a perfectly fine stage. It has a few transformations, and if you touch the track while it moves to its next destination, you take 15% of damage, killing Mario at 90%. The Shy Guys are also troublesome, and they deal 10% damage, killing Mario at 140%.
Blastzones:
Sides: Fully charged Mario side smash kills Mario at 73% (assuming the transition stage)
Upper: Fully charged Mario up smash kills Mario at 87% (transition stage)

I hear people saying Paper Mario a bit. Take it from the guy that will gladly take you on on Corneria, WrioWare or Find Mii-PAPER MARIO IS Broken af.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure I've said this before in this very thread, I'm all for Rainbow Road. It's my eighth most pick after Reset Bomb Forest, It has a variety of fine transformations, besides one where it is impossible to safe zone the cars.

That being said though doesn't it make sense to work at this one stage at a time? Propose a stage, debate it, reach a consensus and reasoning for said stage and then move on to the next one? That's how the process should be done. Not all the stages at once.

And Uncharged Smashes are used not fully charged ones, because rarely will you ever get a fully charged smash and it only serves to exaggerate numbers. Most people know that Fox Up-Smash kills Mario at 106 % that's uncharged, any charge and it will still kill at that number.

Edit: Oh and I'm pretty sur they were saying 'That's Correct' with my ideology not necessarily my stage list.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I would also want to make a case for Unova Pokémon League, whose hazards aren't too awfully intrusive, Zekrom's lightning is so easily avoided it becomes null, and Reshiram's Fire lasts for such short time it doesn't affect the match in the long run (and even if it hits you, the damage is marginally low). The only prominent hazard is the fact the bridges remove the ledges, but then again, you can always see them coming so you can decide not to recover low at that point.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
I would also want to make a case for Unova Pokémon League, whose hazards aren't too awfully intrusive, Zekrom's lightning is so easily avoided it becomes null, and Reshiram's Fire lasts for such short time it doesn't affect the match in the long run (and even if it hits you, the damage is marginally low). The only prominent hazard is the fact the bridges remove the ledges, but then again, you can always see them coming so you can decide not to recover low at that point.
uh, can you test to see what percents it kills at(killing mario) because if it kills at low percent, it could be hazardous.

Top Bottom