• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Legal stages?

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Starter
BF
FD/Omegas
Dreamland 64
Yoshi's Island
Prism Tower

Counterpick
Brinstar
Gaur Plain
Arena Ferox

Suspect
Pictochat 2
Mute City
Rainbow Road
Unova Pokemon League

Banned
everything else.
(If hazards off was a thing: Maybe Find Mii,Warioware,Unova Pokemon League,but its not a thing so rip)
Also, if it was banned in brawl and didn't make meta knight OP as all heck (coughs Brinstar coughs) then it's gone. (coughs Jungle Japes coughs and goes to get advil)

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
Why ban Corneria, Spirit Tracks, Unova Pokemon League, reset bomb forest Kongo jungle and distant planet, when Wario Ware, 3D Land, Gerudo, Living Room, Pictochat 2, and Dream Land are all suspect? that makes no sense to me, and Gaur Plains as a legal and not suspect also baffles me. Any character with a decent air speed advantage can circle camp that stage for as long as they'd like. There's little reasoning to your list. Can you possibly explain why you chose to put stages where you put them?

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Why ban Corneria, Spirit Tracks, Unova Pokemon League, reset bomb forest Kongo jungle and distant planet, when Wario Ware, 3D Land, Gerudo, Living Room, Pictochat 2, and Dream Land are all suspect? that makes no sense to me, and Gaur Plains as a legal and not suspect also baffles me. Any character with a decent air speed advantage can circle camp that stage for as long as they'd like. There's little reasoning to your list. Can you possibly explain why you chose to put stages where you put them?
Ill update it,but Corneria's staying banned because of low ceiling,lasers,and arwings and wolfen. Unova's banned because of reshiram and zekrom,and the bridges changing the stage,making air techniques kinda useless. Jungle Japes is banned because of the water and Klaptrap,and Distant Planet is banned because of the BUlborb,pelllets and the rain changing the slope to a slide.
Gaur Plain is legal cuz no metal face,but ill put it as suspect.
Warioware and 3d land though are gonna be banned probably,everything else stays but i'm considering changing Pictochat.
EDIT: Dream Land I put as suspect because it's a kind of fair stage,even with the sidescrolling,And usually when people complain about walkoffs they complain about the removal of the lower blast line.
Spirit Train i banned because of its constant transforming and the other trains(Dark and Armored)
Reset Bomb might go up to suspect,but the Lurchthorn is still there.

I put brinstar as suspect because while the lava doesn't help,that's all that really makes brinstar unique,and the lava usually stays for 1-2 seconds.
Im pretty sure the rest of the list is ok though.

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
No when I mean reasoning I mean why are the aspects bad or good. Why is the water on Japes so detrimental to the stage that it should be banned, not just what. The why is the important part.

Reset Bomb Forest has the Lurchthorn but what does it really do? Why is that aspect hurting the stage? It floats at the bottom not intruding until someone gets knocked down there or is down there for some other reason.

Dreamland's main problem isn't being a walkoff it's the scrolling and that it has many caves of life as well as blind spots.

Pictochat has some messed up hazards, Caves of Life, Windboxes, Healing, Damaging, Total Darkness, all in random order I believe it's sort of savage.

SpScarecrow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4699-7829-1600
Glad someone else agrees with Tomodachi Life even if it does have that high platform. The only other stage i could include as a counter pick we ould be Brinstar and that's a maybe from the lava. Also Reset Bomb Forest should be under counter pick as there's only one hazard and it's barely a problem. If they can use Halberd on Wii U with the laser and claw then Reset Bomb Forest shouldn't be that much of a problem.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
According to my sources (may not be 100%) the current legal stages are:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island

Counter pick:
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower

and tomodachi life may or may not be legal. those 5 are the only ones that I've heard of being legal in 3ds tournaments.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island

Counter pick:
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower

and tomodachi life may or may not be legal. those 5 are the only ones that I've heard of being legal in 3ds tournaments.
That's pretty consistent with my experience as well. I've also seen Omega stages as a counter-pick (eg, counter-picking to an Omega stage with walls, like Mushroomy Kingdom).

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
That's pretty consistent with my experience as well. I've also seen Omega stages as a counter-pick (eg, counter-picking to an Omega stage with walls, like Mushroomy Kingdom).
Yeah pretty sure that omegas are counter picks too. only reason I left it out is because I have never seen anyone counter pick an omega stage. but walls would have uses to certain characters. but yeah add omega stages to counter pick list and then I think that's the list.

CSWooly

Smash Cadet
NNID
WulfenGale
A better list would be:

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick:
Prism Tower
Omega Stages
Arena Ferox
Tomodachi Life
Brinstar - This stage is much better now that Meta Knight isn't that much of a dominant force in the metagame.

Suspects:
Reset Bomb Forest - Hazards, and it has a cave of life, however, so does Arena Ferox in terms of the latter.

Banned:
Everything else. If a Hazard Switch was a thing, WarioWare, Magicant and maybe Unova Pokemon League would be legal.

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
tomodachi - wouldn't be surprised if this was confirmed
brinstar - not likely to happen though wouldn't be that bad
reset bomb forest - um yeah no because second part of stage is to hectic

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
lmao Gaur Plains as suspect
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island

Counter pick:
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower

>>>>>

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island

Counter pick:
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower
Additionally, Brinstar (and tomodachi) have been counterpicks in many tournaments I've played in.

Routa

Smash Lord
Starters:
FD
BF
Yoshi's Island

Counter picks:
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Brinstar

Yeah Brinstar is 50/50 due to its hazard but it was legal stage for long time in Melee. Also the lava isn't as bad hazard as people think.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to Reset Bomb Forest. The hazard doesn't have major impact in matches, but the plathform layout in first state is kinda... "not balanced"? I think it needs more testing.

Tomodachi... I have only one problem with this stage. The player at the bottom of the stage has huge advantage. It is very very campy stage overall. Overall not very well balanced stage.

Arena in the other hand... Yes it has odd plathform layouts and has cave of life, but overall it is very balanced stage. It doesn't suffer from Tomodachi like plathform camping as people think. I might not be the best to explain why it is so good stage, but I would compare it to Yoshi's Island when it comes to "balanced" stages.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Why isn't Reset Bomb Forest legal? It has no hazards to worry about other than that rare FIshbone enemy and its a pretty cool stage.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The first part of RBF is fine, but the second part not so much. The Fishbone is not a problem, but the platform layout is weird.

SpScarecrow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4699-7829-1600
A better list would be:

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick:
Omega Stages
Arena Ferox
Tomodachi Life
Brinstar - This stage is much better now that Meta Knight isn't that much of a dominant force in the metagame.

Suspects:
Reset Bomb Forest - Hazards, and it has a cave of life, however, so does Arena Ferox in terms of the latter.

Banned:
Everything else. If a Hazard Switch was a thing, WarioWare, Magicant and maybe Unova Pokemon League would be legal.
I agree with this as it gives more stage options than the 3+2 counterpick. Tomodachi may have some campiness to it but the point of the counterpick it to give the player an advantage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Are people really complaining about Reshirarm and Zekrom despite having a huge warning, being perfectly avoidable, and not actual threats?

Routa

Smash Lord
Are people really complaining about Reshirarm and Zekrom despite having a huge warning, being perfectly avoidable, and not actual threats?
I think the problem is Reshirarm's flame. The flame covers way too much area. People usually will wait till the fire is gone before they fight again, and that is wasting limited time. Zekrom isn't as bad as Reshirarm part, and walkoff part isn't as bad as people think.

So it could be legal stage, if the fire didn't cover so much area as it does now.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
also walkoffs are a bit of a problem.
Tortimer isn't a walkoff lol.

Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Prism Tower, Arena Ferox, Tortimer Island, and Brinstar are all decent. Other suspects are Reset Bomb Forest, Gaur Plain, and possibly Spirit Tracks and Unova Pokemon League. There are a few others but not many.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The problem with Tortimer is that the layout is different every time. Obviously this is random/problematic since certain layouts favor certain characters.

Similarly, Unova League is 50/50 with Zekrom/Reshiram. If you could guarantee a way to always get one to spawn, that would at least help in its argument for legality.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The problem with Tortimer is that the layout is different every time. Obviously this is random/problematic since certain layouts favor certain characters.

Similarly, Unova League is 50/50 with Zekrom/Reshiram. If you could guarantee a way to always get one to spawn, that would at least help in its argument for legality.
I'm not sure how any given possible layout on Tortimer Island can favor a character that much more than other possible layouts when the base building blocks (elevated grassy area, dock on one side, trees scattered throughout) remain the same. It's not like Gamer where it can suddenly throw a cave of life at you.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
If you ask me the problem isn't the random plathform layout, but the size of the stage. I mean the stage itself is huge when you compare it to stages like BF or FD (the distance between ledges). And the fruit "thing" is a problem. Even tho it wont impact the game greatly, it still has impact in matchs. I mean characters like Wario can "abuse" items (gets more healing from food than others). But... I would say to problem is the size and not the randomness of the stage.

Last edited:

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice

Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Prism Tower, Arena Ferox, Tortimer Island, and Brinstar are all decent. Other suspects are Reset Bomb Forest, Gaur Plain, and possibly Spirit Tracks and Unova Pokemon League. There are a few others but not many.
Spirit Tracks?I would sooner legalize Flat Zone 2.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm not sure how any given possible layout on Tortimer Island can favor a character that much more than other possible layouts when the base building blocks (elevated grassy area, dock on one side, trees scattered throughout) remain the same. It's not like Gamer where it can suddenly throw a cave of life at you.
Tell that to a Little Mac player on the island with two platform level trees vs the island with no trees in the center at all.

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Just thinking,should Reset Bomb Forest be banned or counter pick

Pros-
+ 2 distinct transformations
+ First is easy to traverse
+ No walks

Cons
Temprary cave of life in the 2nd form
Lurchthorn
Low blast line(?)

Raijinken

Smash Master
Battlefield, FD, and Prism Tower are pretty universally considered fine. Yoshi's Island, as well. Past that, it really depends on how liberal you are in stage selection.

I'd call Arena Ferox legal without even a second-guess. Jungle Japes, Brinstar, and Unova Pokemon League are all completely fine by my standards. I'd call the borderline cases Mute City, Tortimer, Rainbow Road, and Reset Bomb Forest. Tomodachi's also borderline, but it leaves numerous characters maybe too easy of a time circle-camping.

Wario Ware would be great if the rewards weren't randomly chosen and distributed.

Of course, I support (and run) FLSS, so my full list would look something like
Battlefield
Final Destination
Prism Tower
Yoshi's Island
Arena Ferox
Brinstar
Unova Pokemon League
Jungle Japes
Mute City

Strike (player number) 1 2 2 1 1 2 2 1, 3-4 bans on subsequent rounds.

Last edited:

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield, FD, and Prism Tower are pretty universally considered fine. Yoshi's Island, as well. Past that, it really depends on how liberal you are in stage selection.

I'd call Arena Ferox legal without even a second-guess. Jungle Japes, Brinstar, and Unova Pokemon League are all completely fine by my standards. I'd call the borderline cases Mute City, Tortimer, Rainbow Road, and Reset Bomb Forest. Tomodachi's also borderline, but it leaves numerous characters maybe too easy of a time circle-camping.

Wario Ware would be great if the rewards weren't randomly chosen and distributed.

Of course, I support (and run) FLSS, so my full list would look something like
Battlefield
Final Destination
Prism Tower
Yoshi's Island
Arena Ferox
Brinstar
Unova Pokemon League
Jungle Japes
Mute City

Strike (player number) 1 2 2 1 1 2 2 1, 3-4 bans on subsequent rounds.
Mute City has those trolling cars and the border and Japes has claptrap and the water. But other than those 2 id say your list is fine.

Routa

Smash Lord
Jungle Japes is fine if there was no water. You can still recover if you get in the water on the right side, but you are doomed if you get in the water on the left side. This makes the stage kinda "one sided" (10/10 pun).

Mute City, as others stated, has some trolling cars. Also the fact that there isn't a bottom blast-line makes it a odd stage.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
um yeah... what do you call kapp'n boats then. if you are on these when they leave you die. and certain characters can trap you on these platforms. granted these characters are few but if you have practised on the stage you can use this to gain a considerable advantage.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Tell that to a Little Mac player on the island with two platform level trees vs the island with no trees in the center at all.
I'm leery of catering a stage list towards Little Mac of all characters. His design is inherently kind of polarizing on a stage-to-stage basis.

um yeah... what do you call kapp'n boats then. if you are on these when they leave you die. and certain characters can trap you on these platforms. granted these characters are few but if you have practised on the stage you can use this to gain a considerable advantage.
A temporary platform that comes and goes from the side, quite similar to those in Town & City. It doesn't turn the stage into a walkoff. (In fact, it has a grabbable ledge.)

Note that a "walkoff" is generally defined as "a stage with no pit to fall into." Even when Kappn's boat is present, there is plenty of water between it and the blast zone to fall into. (And the 3DS water doesn't let you swim.)

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
A temporary platform that comes and goes from the side, quite similar to those in Town & City. It doesn't turn the stage into a walkoff. (In fact, it has a grabbable ledge.)

Note that a "walkoff" is generally defined as "a stage with no pit to fall into." Even when Kappn's boat is present, there is plenty of water between it and the blast zone to fall into. (And the 3DS water doesn't let you swim.)
1. yeah water is a problem in the 3ds version
2. people can trap on boats right as they leave which could be seen as a little bit of a problem considering how easy it is. eg mewtwo disable on reasonable percent
3. was mostly nitpicking, trying to find all the reasons why tortimer was bad. even if boats are a minor drama the fruit problem still remains

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
2. people can trap on boats right as they leave which could be seen as a little bit of a problem considering how easy it is. eg mewtwo disable on reasonable percent
3. was mostly nitpicking, trying to find all the reasons why tortimer was bad. even if boats are a minor drama the fruit problem still remains
...how is water a problem on the 3DS when you fall through it? You can't swim on the 3DS version. At all. It may as well be brightly colored air, I'm serious.

Anything you can do to trap someone on the boat as it leaves you can also do on Town & City's platforms on the Wii U, and I don't think anyone seriously considers it a major problem there.

Not even touching the fruit, although the non-damaging ones all heal for single-digit % for whatever that's worth.

SpScarecrow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4699-7829-1600
If you get caught with Disable and it kills you from the boat, I'd say that's legit. The fruit is the real issue.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
...how is water a problem on the 3DS when you fall through it? You can't swim on the 3DS version. At all. It may as well be brightly colored air, I'm serious.

Anything you can do to trap someone on the boat as it leaves you can also do on Town & City's platforms on the Wii U, and I don't think anyone seriously considers it a major problem there.

Not even touching the fruit, although the non-damaging ones all heal for single-digit % for whatever that's worth.
yeah the damaging fruits are the ones that are bad. heling ones are too minor at healing. skarks can be a problem for the water. don't know if that happens in wii u version as well so i thought it be best that i don't assume.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mute City has those trolling cars and the border and Japes has claptrap and the water. But other than those 2 id say your list is fine.
The cars are telegraphed pretty well (the Check icon appears when they're coming or going), but it's a bit harder to see in the 16-bit than many other telegraphs. I wouldn't call the damaging ground a significant issue, though I know a lot of people think it's as bad or worse than a walkoff for hindering offstage and spike play.

I've personally never seen Klaptrap jump above or at a platform level (thus, he's only there when you're already in an exceptionally bad position).

Of course, especially with a standard pick/counterpick setup, it's easy to omit those without ill effect. And in FLSS, it's guaranteed that if either player is uncomfortable playing there, there are always at least two bans to get rid of them (more, even).

But yea, those are very borderline cases.

Luigi player

Smash Master
If it was me, I'd allow:

Starter:
- Omegas/FD
- Prism Tower
- Battlefield

Counterpick:
- Yoshis Island

Suspect/maybe:
- Jungle Japes
- Reset Bomb Forest
- Tomodachi Life
- Tortimer Island

The 3DS version sadly doesn't have too many viable stages competitively right now, but it has a pretty good one that the Wii U version lacks (Prism Tower).

Brinstars lava was seen as too strong very early in the game, and Arena Ferox is a super campfest that should've never been legal in the first place.

If Dreamland 64 really gets put in as DLC it'll be awesome, every added competitive stage helps it's variety a lot (even though I'd much more want it for Wii U...), but until then the 3DS metagame is mostly Omegas, at least that's what it was like for me. I wouldn't mind JJs, but many people don't like it, same with RBF, although I'm not too sure on that one. Dunno about Tomodachi, but it could be okay, although I don't think it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom