• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Japanese Release Build Demo Event Day II (Keep questions for AMA after event) [TY Zipzo's Wife]

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
However, it wasn't all that competitive in terms of character usage. We consistently see the same characters, same mechanics and same playstyles dominate most tournaments, with a few notable contradicting examples. Overall, though, the game's competitive scene was somewhat ironically limited.
If you actually ever kept up with competitive Melee you'd realize how dead wrong you are.

In the past 5 or so years we've gone from Sheik mains, Marth mains, Falco mains, Fox mains, Peach mains, and puff mains being the #1 ranked Melee player.

Meanwhile in Brawl, it's Ally vs. the World, and right now Ally is realllllllly lagging behind...
I laughed
Prove me wrong then.

Go ahead.

M2K didn't start winning majors until he mained Marth.

You could argue KDJ with his MLG Long Island win, but I don't think that's considered a "major" anymore (71 entrants), and it wasn't too big of a deal even then.

I mean it mattered, but I would say it's more like the 7th biggest tennis event kind of feel historically, not Wimbledon, or the French, British, or US Open.
[collapse="Here's every event I consider a "Melee major' thus far IMO"]Evo 2014 2014 970 Mango (Fox main)
Event | Year | Entrant Amount | Winner (The Winner's Main character)
Apex 2014 2014 629 PPMD (Falco main)
MLG Anaheim 2014 2014 325 Mango (Fox main)
Zenith 2014 2014 280 Mew2King (Sheik main)
Evo 2013 2013 696 Mango (Fox main)
Apex 2013 2013 336 Armada (Peach main)
Kings of Cali 3 2013 202 Mew2King (Sheik main)
The Big House 3 2013 172 Mew2King (Sheik main)
Apex 2012 2012 318 Armada (Peach main)
The Big House 2 2012 128 Mango (Fox main)
Pound V 2011 243 PPMD (Falco main)
Genesis 2 2011 228 Armada (Peach main)
Revival of Melee 4 2011 110 Mango (Jigglypuff main)
Apex 2010 2010 220 Hungrybox (Jigglypuff main)
Revival of Melee 3 2010 163 PPMD (Falco main)
Genesis 2009 290 Mango (Jigglypuff main)
Revival of Melee II 2009 159 Hungrybox (Jigglypuff main)
Revival of Melee 2009 136 Mango (Jigglypuff main)
Pound 3 2008 224 Mango (Jigglypuff main)
TGMTSBCO 2008 118 Mew2King (Marth main)
Evo World 2007 270 Ken (Marth main)
FC Diamond 2007 256 Mew2King (Marth main)
0C3 2007 228 PC Chris (Falco main)
Pound 2 2007 200 ChuDat (Ice Climbers main)
MLG Las Vegas 2007 8 PC Chris (Falco main) [note: only the top 8 in MLG points made it, hence the low entrant amount]
MLG New York Playoffs 2006 2006 208 Azen (Marth main)
MELEE-FC6 2006 205 PC Chris (Falco main)
0C2 2006 192 Ken (Marth main)
MLG Chicago 2006 2006 184 Ken (Marth main)
MLG Orlando 2006 2006 176 Azen (Marth main)
MLG Anaheim 2006 2006 160 Ken (Marth main)
MLG Dallas 2006 2006 144 Ken (Marth main)
MLG New York 2006 2006 143 PC Chris (Marth main)
MELEE-FC3 2005 189 Ken (Marth main)
BOMB 4 2005 105 ChuDat (Ice Climbers main)
Tournament Go 6 2004 112 Azen (Marth main)
Game Over 2004 100 Ken (Marth main)

(Note: Azen claimed to main multiple characters specifically from 2003-2005 so it gets tricky with him. M2K tends to lean Sheik as of like 2011, but before that leaned Marth, however he has a good Fox as well. Some would claim PPMD in some tournaments is a Marth main because of him leaning on Marth)[/collapse]

Last edited:
I truly do think this game is going to be more competitive than Melee. The fact that Sakurai is trying to balance each character means he's trying to make each character viable in their own way, and not just seeing your typical Fox vs Falco on Final Destination. Also, I know no one mentioned this, but this game doesn't have to be as fast as Melee to be anymore competitive than it is. If the ground speed is as fast as Melee and air time is like Brawl (even though you can still fast fall), then I see this being competitive :)
Well that was quick....

Anyway, if that's what you think then... okay then... Even though the game hasn't been officially released yet... Not gonna mention the Fox and Falco part. Someone (John) did that already.
I laughed
Wut

Last edited:

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386
The news about Yoshi potentially being Top Tier is really pleasing. Yoshi has been one of my mains since the original Smash game.

I was pretty happy that Shulk was confirmed for Smash, but after reading about how amazing Shulk is, my hype has increased. I feel that his range and new mechanics will add so much to the fun. If Marth doesn't end up being a good character, I feel that Marth mains will revert to Lucina and/or Shulk. Just my opinion.
There is a difference between Marth and Lucina? Well of course besides the sweet spots.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
To everyone wondering about Ben or has questions for him

The event he went to is OVER but he did say he going to 2 events tomorrow. He is in the chat of D1's stream if you want to hear what he has to say.

Here is one note I will give you cause I am out, D1's stream is hype. He said Kirby and Bowser are the best veterans.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the difference between Marth and Lucina will be negligible. Sakurai stated as much.

I wish Lucina was in the demo build so Zipzo or someone else could test her out :(

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
@Zipzo How tough do you think Mario was?
1-10 How good is this game?
Can't wait to play this by myself.

Supersonic159

Smash Rookie
Here:
*LINK*

It's super slow and if Zipzo is going to be posting here via mods again, Smashboards is gonna be the place to lurk. Don't all migrate over to Reddit just yet, guys.
There's nothing wrong with going over to Reddit to view the updates when the site can't handle the amount of people that come to check out the leaks from the demo. Certainly helped last time when there was 3000 people on Reddit and 2000 people here.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Somehow, I'm getting the feeling that Robin, Shulk, and Palutena are all gonna get nerfed in the Wii U build. But most likely Robin.

Last edited:

Supersonic159

Smash Rookie
There's a lot of potential stuff coming up from Reddit, around 25 posts ready. I'll relay info back onto this thread as fast as possible because I think if we all migrated there it'll crash. Don't worry bb's I'll be like Palutena's Lightweight fast
I wouldn't worry about Reddit crashing, it has a much bigger server load than Smashboards. We had about 3000 people on the Smash sub alone, not to mention the other sections of Reddit. But you guys are welcome to bring the information over to keep everyone in the loop!

Black&Gray

Smash Rookie
Well that was quick....

Anyway, if that's what you think then... okay then... Even though the game hasn't been officially released yet... Not gonna mention the Fox and Falco part. Someone (John) did that already.

I know that, and it was just speculation. Plus I didn't mention anything about tournaments either. I was just generally speaking.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Kind of bittersweet about Robin likely being top tier. I knew he would be in smash over Chrom the moment I played Awakening on release day and he became my most wanted/future main shortly after. I am glad that him being top tier would increase his popularity by a lot but it will suck if he becomes the new fox/marth lol. Hope the community does not see anyone who uses Robin as cheap and only using him because he is god-tier if he is indeed as good as some people claim lol.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
There's nothing wrong with going over to Reddit to view the updates when the site can't handle the amount of people that come to check out the leaks from the demo. Certainly helped last time when there was 3000 people on Reddit and 2000 people here.
Nah, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it. I'm just trying to suggest that everyone should keep their eye on here as well. He might post here even though he's posted on reddit today.

Supersonic159

Smash Rookie
Nah, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it. I'm just trying to suggest that everyone should keep their eye on here as well. He might post here even though he's posted on reddit today.
I hear you =D, I've got my eyes on this thread, his profile, and his Reddit profile. So hopefully I shouldn't miss anything while compiling it on Reddit! Hype night!

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Zipzo currently isn't taking questions, but check back at a later time!
Aw..... so what are we going to discuss now? Game mechanics? What Sakurai might do or post over the next few weeks? The AKB48 promotion?

This game has soooo much to talk about!
Any way, for some of you who can't get the game next week don't be so sad, you can still get the 3ds at Sept. 19(Although most of you guys might not buy it)

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Well I can say for Post 4 that the word 'temp' was written as a placeholder about 7-8 minutes ago. Expect some kind of compilation of impressions.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Nerfed how? The characters are going to be wexactly the same in both games.
However, the roster is still a thing that I worried. Sakurai still don't put semi clones as alt. costume! But I won't mind that, probably.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Nerfed how? The characters are going to be wexactly the same in both games.
Did Sakurai really say that both the 3DS and Wii U version will play exactly the same as in you can easily transition between the two like practice on the 3DS version while waiting to play your match on the Wii U version in few minutes during tourneys?

Last edited:

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
There is a difference between Marth and Lucina? Well of course besides the sweet spots.
I'm pretty sure the difference between Marth and Lucina will be negligible. Sakurai stated as much.

I wish Lucina was in the demo build so Zipzo or someone else could test her out :(
The tip is different, but with there being smaller range on Marth's attacks, many may prefer Lucina's sword.

But in reality, Marth mains will likely get used to the new range and continue being skilled with Marth.

Supersonic159

Smash Rookie
Well I can say for Post 4 that the word 'temp' was written as a placeholder about 7-8 minutes ago. Expect some kind of compilation of impressions.
Yeah I wanted to see if I put "temp" into where the area that holds the link for the source if it would make the brackets go away until I get a real link, but alas it doesn't... the rest are just placeholder so I don't have to make more if Zip starts posting a bunch.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I hear you =D, I've got my eyes on this thread, his profile, and his Reddit profile. So hopefully I shouldn't miss anything while compiling it on Reddit! Hype night!
Nice bro, you've got everything covered. You did a great job collecting the info last night btw. Props

Supersonic159

Smash Rookie
Nice bro, you've got everything covered. You did a great job collecting the info last night btw. Props
Hey thanks man, I appreciate that! I wasn't expecting it to explode like it did or for so much info to come out, so it was pretty hectic for a while lol. Tonight I have a format and templates setup so I'm prepared for the worst! Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
The tip is different, but with there being smaller range on Marth's attacks, many may prefer Lucina's sword.

But in reality, Marth mains will likely get used to the new range and continue being skilled with Marth.
Besides the tip, I mean. I don't think the tip difference is gonna be that significant anyways.

I hope so. I've mained Marth since 03, around the time I was eight :(

Last edited:

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
Is there a source to where people claim that Fire Peach is in with her hair in a ponytail? Maybe that Ben guy from twitter? I can't find it :(
If it is in I am very pleased, although it saddens me Peach gets her Fire Peach costume yet Rosalina gets her Fire colours switched around..

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Did Sakurai really say that both the 3DS and Wii U version will play exactly the same as in you can easily transition between the two like practice on the 3DS version while waiting to play your match on the Wii U version in few minutes during tourneys?
The way I look at it is they'll play the same like with the engine and mechanics and stuff, but due to the different controls and what have you they will just inherently play different

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hey thanks man, I appreciate that! I wasn't expecting it to explode like it did or for so much info to come out, so it was pretty hectic for a while lol. Tonight I have a format and templates setup so I'm prepared for the worst! Glad you guys enjoyed it!
If 3ds FC has unlimited rooms I really want to add you but my FC list is nearly full now. So guess we meet in everyone mode!

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Megaman info from Ben at D1 stream:
downsmash best smash Ko's Kong at 90%
Fair and Bair hardly any lag
Down spike is amazing
Uair combos after up throw
Megaman downtilt is fast

This is all from the Ben twitter guy I believe

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I'm just really hoping that Yoshi ends up good enough for some nice, casual online play.
I haven't actually played Smash that much before. I had Melee, but nobody to play it with.
...so this will be pretty much my first game that I play for decent lengths of time.
I wouldn't worry about Reddit crashing, it has a much bigger server load than Smashboards. We had about 3000 people on the Smash sub alone, not to mention the other sections of Reddit. But you guys are welcome to bring the information over to keep everyone in the loop!
The only recent time that I know where reddit got a traffic overload for more than a minute was during the President Obama AMA. Which was a long, long time ago.

Hey, I'm also doing my own type of this thread. The reddit live feature allows browser notifications and is built right into the site. You can just leave the tab open with "Pop-up notifications" toggled and get alerts in the lower right of your browser. No refreshing needed.

Do you want to maybe use that too for convenience? You could also just move over to it if you want.
The syntax/post formatting is the same as making a reddit post, so you could just copy/paste over to the updater.
If you're fine with it, I'll send you an invite to allow you to update on there. You could edit a link into your thread.

Last edited:

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
So Zipzo is posting soon 48 minutes ago. I hope we receive more info on golden characters like Luigi and Mega Man

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386
Megaman info from Ben at D1 stream:
downsmash best smash Ko's Kong at 90%
Fair and Bair hardly any lag
Down spike is amazing
Uair combos after up throw
Megaman downtilt is fast

This is all from the Ben twitter guy I believe
sounds great. I've been dying to play Megaman

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Hey @Zipzo, I already asked this on reddit, and I'm not sure if it was asked yet on here, but I'd figure it bears repeating.

Remember that blue Bowser alt @ Neo Zero Neo Zero was talking about long ago? Is that in the game?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Hey @Zipzo, I already asked this on reddit, and I'm not sure if it was asked yet on here, but I'd figure it bears repeating.

Remember that blue Bowser alt @ Neo Zero Neo Zero was talking about long ago? Is that in the game?
He wouldn't know about the picture I posted long ago. Plus no questions to Zipzo until his AMA.

Supersonic159

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm also doing my own type of this thread. The reddit live feature allows browser notifications and is built right into the site. You can just leave the tab open with "Pop-up notifications" toggled and get alerts in the lower right of your browser. No refreshing needed.

Do you want to maybe use that too for convenience? You could also just move over to it if you want.
The syntax/post formatting is the same as making a reddit post, so you could just copy/paste over to the updater.
If you're fine with it, I'll send you an invite to allow you to update on there. You could edit a link into your thread.
That's a very kind gesture but the reason I'm doing it like this is because this post can be saved to peoples Reddit accounts and is archived on the sub in a relatively easy place to get to. So I'm essentially killing two birds with one stone, thank you though!

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
He wouldn't know about the picture I posted long ago. Plus no questions to Zipzo until his AMA.
Do you still have that pictured saved anywhere? I don't really want to backtrack to the original source atm.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Kind of bittersweet about Robin likely being top tier. I knew he would be in smash over Chrom the moment I played Awakening on release day and he became my most wanted/future main shortly after. I am glad that him being top tier would increase his popularity by a lot but it will suck if he becomes the new fox/marth lol. Hope the community does not see anyone who uses Robin as cheap and only using him because he is god-tier if he is indeed as good as some people claim lol.
I always have this problem. And I'm really feeling it (intended) with Shulk and a lot of the other newcomers.

I've had this with Pokemon and games in general, but SSB4 is looking to be that way as well. As of Brawl (and extremely late in Melee's life) I've started playing a huge chunk of characters though, so I don't really "main" anyone or focus on one character. I switch it up constantly between a few groups, so even if my favorites are overplayed, I do have others.

But yeah, I'm sad that, chances are, I'll be playing Robin, Shulk, Lucina, Palutena, etc and come across tons of people doing the same and seeing people thinking it's bandwagoning or because of tiers.

I play characters I like, or characters I have fun playing (and this goes for Pokemon I like using and games I enjoy). I don't like getting lumped in with some hivemind. I know I shouldn't care, but there have been numerous times where my being a fan of something in a discussion was dismissed as just liking it because it was cool to now. And this infuriates me.

That said, it's not going to really matter all that much. It's not like I am going to be talking to people on random online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom