• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 3 Miis, Palutena, amiibo, Pacman, G&W Post Invitational

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I guess the addition of Mii's was inevitable, but overall the Smash Bros. reveals just confirmed my fears. I would be neutral to Pac Man, but I really don't like Palutena and am very disappointed to see such an unnecessary addition.

And given these additions, a certain leak is pretty much 100% true, and I now already hate the final roster for this game. *sigh* It really is Brawl all over again.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
but I really don't like Palutena and am very disappointed to see such an unnecessary addition...
*sigh* It really is Brawl all over again.
I see your opinion is strong, but I wouldn't go as far as to calling Palutena "unnecessary". Kind of a slap in the face to people that supported her inclusion (myself included). Besides, I'm sure there is no character that everyone is 100% supporting, so what's truly considered "necessary"? (Sidenote: I'm in no way bashing your opinion just so you know, I'm just wondering on what's "Necessary" vs. "Unnecessary")

As far as being "Brawl all over again"...don't be so negative good sir :/

Last edited:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
Because of the 3 different styles of Mii and the customization (look at that snazzy purple coat one of the miis are wearing) I think nearly everyone will have a pocket Mii they've trained with. I honestly thought Mii would be a bad character with somewhat lame references to the Wiisports too, but I'm pleasantly surprised!

Paulutena was a surprise, she was leaked early this year I think. She's looks great! I never played Pit's games so I didn't care to much for her, but it's cool having yet another female character that others can get excited to play. :)

Pacman was honestly a disappointment, I feel he has a weird offsetting move-set. I played original Pacman game (who hasn't?) and I remember a little bit of Pacman on the Gamecube which had really good fun multiplayer. But I feel there were better choices for that precious character slot. If they had to be from Namco I would have prefered Lloyd or Klonoa, but there were a lot of people who wanted Pacman so for them I'm glad.
I completely agree with all three points. I was sure Miis were going to make it into the game, but wasn't certain on how well they'd fair, but the way they've been implemented is pure gold. Palutena was very surprising, but she looks excellent and fits well. As for Pac-Man, I think he's a game killer, and it's disappointing that he's even in the game. But yet, I feel that if Namco were to put a character of their own in, Pac-Man was right way to go

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Something I took away from the Game and Watch reveal...he was revealed, but not posted on the site. That leads me to believe unlockables, other than 3rd parties, won't be shown on the site until after launch. So maybe hopes for Ridley, Mewtwo, and K Rool aren't 100% dead?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I see your opinion is strong, but I wouldn't go as far as to calling Palutena "unnecessary". Kind of a slap in the face to people that supported her inclusion (myself included). Besides, I'm sure there is no character that everyone is 100% supporting, so what's truly considered "necessary"? (Sidenote: I'm in no way bashing your opinion just so you know, I'm just wondering on what's "Necessary" vs. "Unnecessary")

As far as being "Brawl all over again"...don't be so negative good sir :/
I think she's "unnecessary" because I didn't think (and still don't think, obviously) that Kid Icarus deserves a second character. That's no slap in the face to people who like Palutena and want her as a playable character. There are plenty of characters I would love to see, but they would be truthfully unnecessary additions, in which I would understand seeing others unhappy.

Also, please don't refer to me as 'sir'.

I just don't think that the good of the roster anywhere near outweighs the characters I don't care for, and to be honest, characters have always made this series for me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Something I took away from the Game and Watch reveal...he was revealed, but not posted on the site. That leads me to believe unlockables, other than 3rd parties, won't be shown on the site until after launch. So maybe hopes for Ridley, Mewtwo, and K Rool aren't 100% dead?
Well yes but reminder pf special cases

We still have today and tomorrow for those guys.

If not we are waiting till about septemberish or sooner for those 3 (a real full roster leak or directs)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
That, or they just used this time to reveal Pac-man. Or he was used as an example.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
I'm really pumped for the Amiibo.... did you catch that the SMASH characters will be able to be used in MK8?!?
I so read that as Mortal Kombat 8 and I was so confused >.< Link in Mario kart though, might fix everyone's complaints for the like 8 bowserlings

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't complaining. Its just a fact. When the best moves are figured out than everyone will just use those moves. Sure its possible to customize but only the optimal customizations will be used.
I'm going to have to Agree with you on this one, It'll prolly end up being similar to what Smogon has done to the Pokemon Meta Game (on a much smaller level of course) simply put you'll end up seeing the same characters time and time again. I'm just glad that they'll have different faces every time :D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's safe to say that Palutena and her heavenly gracefulness was really the only thing I was hyped about. I'm a bit curious about the amiibo as well, about the leveling up I heard about.

smasherbound93

Smash Rookie
Honestly I’m a little disappointed with Nintendo’s e3 in general excluding the invitational, Nintendo just didn`t offer as many as surprises as they could.

About the new characters Palutena is fine for me (although I don`t think Kid Icarus deserves two representatives), the Miis I don't know this is a bit odd for me especially on the possibility of "now people can play with Goku" but eh I’ll probably get used to it.

As for Pac-Man, he`s the best reveal so far at the e3...

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Anybody else think the splatoon characters might make a good character for Smash? I expect that Nintendo might include them as a way of marketing that new franchise.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Anybody else think the splatoon characters might make a good character for Smash? I expect that Nintendo might include them as a way of marketing that new franchise.
That doesn't sound like something Nintendo would do. An AT maybe, but a unique character from a game coming out after Smash? I wouldn't bet on it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Found an interesting quote regarding Amiibos:

Nintendo developers have been experimenting with new ideas in amiibo. Speaking to IGN, legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed the possibility of allowing consumers to order amiibo figures based on their own Mii. amiibo are figures of Nintendo characters that can interact with multiple future Wii U games, including Super Smash Bros., Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Yoshi’s Woolly World.

“We do have a number of employees internally who want to be able to do something like that, and we’re performing different experiments,” said Miyamoto. “There’s different ways that we could do it and ordering could be one, or there’s different structures that we could use. In fact, there is already an amiibo of my Mii.”

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Game and Watch wasn't revealed he was only teased.

Though I feel like he should have been revealed on the website before Pacman was confirmed.

Eh... kind of a swing and a miss for me. I'm not really hyped about any of these revealed characters, but at least Mii Fighters' potential variation seems pretty great. I guess this mean's the leak's real now.

Did anyone catch IGN's 33 character roster thing? Please tell me Sakurai's rusing us.
33 is how many characters we have. I think that's what they meant, like the current total.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'm very much against character DLC (Except clones. I'm fine with that.)
I don't want to pay extra for, say, unique Mewtwo ON TOP of the $60 bucks for the game itself. Imo, they should just take extra time to add him in the first place.
Clones are fine since they are just copy + pasted movesets with a similar model but different look. They don't feel 'necessary' to get the whole game. Mewtwo, on the other hand, would. (This includes Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas and Snake as well.)

That or free character DLC, but all things considered, that's probably definitely never happening.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I’m a little disappointed with Nintendo’s e3 in general excluding the invitational, Nintendo just didn`t offer as many as surprises as they could.

About the new characters Palutena is fine for me (although I don`t think Kid Icarus deserves two representatives), the Miis I don't know this is a bit odd for me especially on the possibility of "now people can play with Goku" but eh I’ll probably get used to it.

As for Pac-Man, he`s the best reveal so far at the e3...
What more could they have done...? I can't really fathom how there are a few people thinking there wasn't much at E3. They revealed a ton of new games, lots of new info for upcoming games and new characters for smash bros, really good showman ship with the robot chicken shorts/reggie vs iwata/smash tournament, and they even revealed 2 or 3 new IPs. New IPs are a huge deal since they're a game developer's biggest gamble. You might dump a millions into making a new franchise, but the simple fact that people don't recognize the name/brand means it won't sell like hotcakes. That's a bold move so I applaud them and hope to see these new ideas for games succeed. I can't remember any past E3s that were this extravagant. They're usually a bunch of talking and trailers on a stage, but this was something new.

I wouldn't even dream of coming close to using the word "disappointing" to describe an E3 unless it compares to that pulse sensor E3. And that product never even launched! Nothing came out of that!

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What more could they have done...? I can't really fathom how there are a few people thinking there wasn't much at E3. They revealed a ton of new games, lots of new info for upcoming games and new characters for smash bros, really good showman ship with the robot chicken shorts/reggie vs iwata/smash tournament, and they even revealed 2 or 3 new IPs. New IPs are a huge deal since they're a game developer's biggest gamble. You might dump a millions into making a new franchise, but the simple fact that people don't recognize the name/brand means it won't sell like hotcakes. That's a bold move so I applaud them and hope to see these new ideas for games succeed. I can't remember any past E3s that were this extravagant. They're usually a bunch of talking and trailers on a stage, but this was something new.

I wouldn't even dream of coming close to using the word "disappointing" to describe an E3 unless it compares to that pulse sensor E3. And that product never even launched! Nothing came out of that!
Yet. It's still being worked on. Last it was mentioned, they said they couldn't make a cheap enough product that works on enough people. We'll see it again, probably soon with Nintendo's QOL platform.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Of the three newcomers, Pacman is sort of growing on me.
I feel like an idiot consumer when I say this, but his face is just so uplifting and cheerful... Galaga was one of my pasttime favorites, so it's sort of nice seeing that represented in his moveset. I hope he doesn't have an awkward moveset.

I don't care about Paletuna. Haven't played Uprising, but the dialogue in the trailer was obnoxious (was that the joke?). Mii fighters look cool, I'm glad they did what they did with them.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Of the three newcomers, Pacman is sort of growing on me.
I feel like an idiot consumer when I say this, but his face is just so uplifting and cheerful... Galaga was one of my pasttime favorites, so it's sort of nice seeing that represented in his moveset. I hope he doesn't have an awkward moveset.

I don't care about Paletuna. Haven't played Uprising, but the dialogue in the trailer was obnoxious (was that the joke?). Mii fighters look cool, I'm glad they did what they did with them.
Well, it's hard to compress the feel of KIU's dialog into a few minutes. In KIU it's more spaced out and slower paced. Really, it's something you have to be a fan of to like.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Well, it's hard to compress the feel of KIU's dialog into a few minutes. In KIU it's more spaced out and slower paced. Really, it's something you have to be a fan of to like.
Alright, I respect that.
Though I'd be pretty muffed if there was a third Icarus rep. Well, I wouldn't actually be mad but I would probably think "Huh, Sakurai really has no shame..."

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Alright, I respect that.
Though I'd be pretty muffed if there was a third Icarus rep. Well, I wouldn't actually be mad but I would probably think "Huh, Sakurai really has no shame..."
Honestly, we barely deserved Palutena. I can't help but feel Sakurai is trying to give KI exposure for some reason, though.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Mii's and Pac-Man were the most hype for me. But Palutena (while I did want her) didn't do the thing for me. Palutena suffers from what I call "Anime-Character-Itis", basically characters have a animeish charm to them such as Marth, Ike, Pit and etc. These types of characters don't really hype me as much as more "cartoony" characters.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Alright, I respect that.
I really doubt we'd get a third rep. I don't think Sakurai would push his series that much. Honestly every deserving character from both his series are in the game.

D

Deleted member 245254

I guess the addition of Mii's was inevitable, but overall the Smash Bros. reveals just confirmed my fears. I would be neutral to Pac Man, but I really don't like Palutena and am very disappointed to see such an unnecessary addition.

And given these additions, a certain leak is pretty much 100% true, and I now already hate the final roster for this game. *sigh* It really is Brawl all over again.
Yes, the game is Brawl because it has characters you don't like.

Very rational.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Well, I wasn't surprised by any of them, but I was surprised we were getting 3 types of Miis, Palutena having a custom moveset, and classic Pac-Man face. More importantly, no veterans except a vague tease of Game & Watch.

I didn't really get to see enough of them to accurately have any feels about them, but I think they all have really cool looking movesets. I haven't been let down by a single newcomer yet. They all look great. I'm pumped.

As for Amiibo, I love the figures, and I am glad they aren't glorified DLC, but I do not fully see the need for them or what they bring to the table in SSB. It seems like the sole purpose is to have better AI to fight against and to fight against custom movesets. Otherwise, it seems kind of pointless. I was hoping more for being able to just load my set-up/moveset to a friend's Wii U, maybe in addition to this stuff, but I don't see a need in having a "fancy AI partner/opponent that costs money". I'm only excited about them because I like collecting things, so I just want to have cool figures of Nintendo characters. I also don't know that we can actually use SSB figures for other games, as it wasn't made clear. I don't understand how they'll even play into Yoshi, Toad or MK8. That's a very "wait and see" kind of thing. I'll still be getting a bunch, to display and use for novelty, but yeah.

*sigh* It really is Brawl all over again.
To be perfectly honest, no addition is necessary at this point. Sakurai could have easily just went with Brawl's roster, rebalanced it, changed the moves and called it a day. Maybe added back in those cut from Melee.

There are no "necessary" characters missing. Ridley & K.Rool? They're just as important or unimportant as Palutena. Whether you like it or not, she is a relevant character to Kid Icarus, and it's a 3 game series and was fan requested for a return forever. Isaac or Matthew? Unnecessary, despite how great they would be.

Necessity is a case by case thing. That's great that you don't think Kid Icarus deserves 2 characters, but that doesn't make characters unnecessary just because of your preferences in some imaginary hierarchy of which franchises are more or less deserving.

I just don't think that the good of the roster anywhere near outweighs the characters I don't care for, and to be honest, characters have always made this series for me.
I'm not sure what kind of roster you are looking for. An all-star cast of your personally favorite characters with minimal characters you don't like? If we're to assume the Gematsu leak is now real, and we have a roster of ~47 characters, you really can't find enough characters to be excited about?

Pacman was honestly a disappointment, I feel he has a weird offsetting move-set. I played original Pacman game (who hasn't?) and I remember a little bit of Pacman on the Gamecube which had really good fun multiplayer. But I feel there were better choices for that precious character slot. If they had to be from Namco I would have prefered Lloyd or Klonoa, but there were a lot of people who wanted Pacman so for them I'm glad.
Unfortunately for you, Lloyd and Klonoa are completely irrelevant and not iconic. Regardless of how anyone feels (it is fine/makes sense people are kinda disappointed) it was only ever going to be Pac-Man and anyone thinking otherwise was kidding themselves.

Pac-Man IS Namco. Namco IS Pac-Man. He's their most well-known character, people who barely play games know him. He's a literal gaming legend and all-star. He makes perfect sense with Mario, Sonic & Mega Man (and has even interacted with both Mario & Mega Man in the past). Klonoa fits the world of SSB, but he's an obscure character they don't use often anymore and not many people know him. Now, Nintendo can get away with using forgotten characters, but 3rd parties want to use their well-known brands.

Similarly, Lloyd is a character who is only relevant to 2 Tales games in an enormous series, appears in a few cameo roles and would be practically promoting the PS3 remake of his games (like Snake promoting MGS4). He's simply not important enough to Namco to use.

Pac-Man represents Namco, as a whole. His moveset using other arcade games even drives that point. Every other character they could've used would've done nothing but represent a game that happened to be from Namco, but not represent Namco themselves, nor be as historic of an event as Pac-Man fighting against Mario, Sonic & Mega Man.

There are plenty of characters who probably would've worked better as fighters or been more 'normal', but it was never going to be them, for every reason.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
I saw nothing wrong with the Smash Bros. E3 since it was everything I had already expected and hoped for--that is to say I'm happy about it.

Really, after you sit down and actually think realistically about which characters will be included, which will be dropped, Sakurai's biases, etc., everything makes sense.

And I don't see how Palutena is a bad choice for a character. She's another female rep. (Smash has been scarce with female fighters since the first game), uses many unique abilities, has a large fanbase, and most importantly, is Sakurai's IP.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If DLC was just clones of existing characters i don't know how I'd feel.

I guess depending on whom they make. Like if Micaiah was a Palutena clone I could see that working.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Y do everyone hate The Brawl?
It is due to a few factors:
-Defensive play heavily outweighs offensive play, which is less interesting to watch and play
-It is very slow paced in comparison to previous titles making it less enjoyable to watch and play
-No wavedashing
-No Dashdancing
-Random tripping
-Meta knight is OP as hell
-Most of the fast characters from melee got nerfed to hell

Among other things.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Y do everyone hate The Brawl?
It's not everyone. It's a majority opinion on this site (I believe), but not everyone. I personally like it.
Besides the tripping. I'm not a super competitive player (just a smidge), either, so that has to do with it.
I just like the game. A lot of people really hate it.
To be honest, though, I did think less of it after playing P:M. Couldn't really take how slow it was. As for the ___dashing, I couldn't give less of a rats ass about those so it didn't bother me in that regard.

E3 was pretty awesome for me. I liked every reveal. I didn't think I would like Mii's, but he surprised me. Palutena was a nice reveal. Pac-man was an awesome reveal, too.

Top Bottom