• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

----------

SOVAman

Smash Hero
My bad if I am dyslectic. You should just type with some normal sentence structure it makes it easier to understand what your explaining.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Just popping in to say that this is working for me better than ever.

Between this and the advice I've taken from my other more recent thread on matches taking a while, I've been playing infinitely more consistently and precise. Okay, done tooting my own horn. Going to bed. Later guys~

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
I think lilb was asking more if you could use correct sentence structure. I agree with him; it is kinda hard to read your posts. Breaking it up into paragraphs helps a little, but using periods and not capitalizing random words would help even more.
Lil_B Qoute My bad if I am dyslectic. You should just type with some normal sentence structure it makes it easier to understand what your explaining.

Oh Bloody hell...fine i wont say any johns of why that happens, but this is how i write i do try to add comas and spaces when needed but i just happen to press enter everytime i see my text are about to hit the limit wall i am used to this because of my job, where i am Force to write how i do it here because it just make it more tedious to fix it later if my habbit, makes it harder for you guys but its something i do everyday, its not like i can stop it...
but anyways ill try my best to write *better* altough again i dont see anything wrong with it but thats just how i am used to. anyways glad to have gotten advice and glad to see Shiri progressing much better ....wich is funny shouldnt other people benefit from this more that the author himself? because hes the one who wrote isnt he supose to dhave done this before he wrote? oh wells XD

¨^^^^^^^^
is that any improvement or worse?

Atash

Smash Apprentice
@ Dyz69

It appears that you have a tendency to slip on the keyboard a bit while typing. Perhaps looking at the screen while you type and utilizing both arrow and backspace keys on your keyboard can remedy your profuse spelling typos?

Well... that isn't exactly my beef with your method of communication. The manner in which you write appears to generate a lot of comma splices... but without the commas. Your use of whitespace such as making new lines every ten or twenty words is okay by itself. However, it'd be nice if you gave such actions a few seconds of forethought and decide before pattering away on your keyboard where exactly it is your main ideas start and stop.

So, my advice: attempt to utilize some punctuation and know your spacing; the ideas you have lose their value if, when written, approach illegibility.

(( I'm not saying use punctuation like I'm using it or like Shiri used it in that wall of text, just... ya know... put a bit more effort in, perhaps? ))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Shiri

Very well written - the straightforwardness was awesome. There should totally be an organized effort to create a dictionary of sorts, one where tough situations are looked at step by step. There's always a best outcome, and although the best outcome may not be good (your G&W b-air example), it's what should be strived for (mindgames aside, of course).

Again, awesome work.

EDIT:

@ Whoever it was that suggested this kind of essay (yes, I'm calling it an essay) become more widespread and/or acknowledged

YES!

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Great...this why i never did good at my school when it came to Literature..i just wanted to
write what i feel and i hated how my teacher said it was wrong because of what all of you are noticing
i just cant seem to know when to add comas, spaces and everything i feel like its like Brawl
you know? learn when to space, learn when you use your attacks properly, again sorry guys
but i am trying to write better, i just cant i never could wont stop me from trying but if i cant
notice whats wrong everytime i write how will i? i do notice when i wrote something down wrong i go back and correct it but thats all i do

but try to understand what im trying to say and not how i wrote it down, because if you do i am constantly going to get judge and its something i been doing for 19 years kind hard to start noticing everything i been doing, its gonna take me a while but for now just bare with me

thanks Again to you all for the support ^_^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Bumping because I know several people **ahem** who need to be reading this. :D

P.S. - This is soooooooo old!

Metatitan

Smash Master
This thread just tells you to be a better player, there are plenty of threads like that elsewhere. It was entertaining seeing the yoshies of the past however.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Still, no one says it quite like Shiri. It's more entertaining than the average "get better this way" thread, as well as providing just as much, if not, more helpful information in an easier to read style.

.Marik

is a social misfit
What Metatitan said.

It was a good read.

Unfortunately, in the heat of a hectic tournament match, I probably won't recall this thread, even though it's absolutely amazing and it analyzes all the important aspects of being a smart player with Yoshi in a simple manner.

Glad this was bumped. :yoshi:

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, in the heat of a hectic tournament match, I probably won't recall this thread, even though it's absolutely amazing and it analyzes all the important aspects of being a smart player with Yoshi in a simple manner.
The idea is to do what is in this thread all the time, whenever you play, whether it's a friendly or a tourney match. If you're used to thinking whenever you play, you'll be able to think in the heat of a hectic tournament match.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yeah, I know. I sometimes forget, and make blunders which costs me the match or a stock.

I usually think from instinct though, not from remembering detailed tips in threads on SmashBoards.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The goal is to make this thinking instinct.

I know when I play a tourny match I can actively think of this stuff and play very well. It's just that since I'm more used to auto-pilot play, it's a lot more draining to actively think while playing. Now if you always think like that, it should become easier.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yes, I KNOW. :yoshi:

I'm saying that recalling information from a thread -will- not help you. You need to have that information memorized and embedded within your instinct in order to play smart consistently in tournaments.

Pretty much the same thing, but not really. Sorry if I'm wording it bad, my brain died on me sometime within the past hour.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Marik, I think you're missing the point. The goal is to

Just kidding, LOL.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
This reminds me of that thread using that weird zen word for finding counters to your opponents moves, although this is less about mindgames and more simply about playing smart. It was a good read nonetheless; it's always good to read one of these mindful threads to keep you from becoming arrogant and fall into habits. Although I need to learn how to be able to think more during a match, as I'm only just getting used to competitive play.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Thinking isn't a problem for me if the match is even or if I'm winning because overall I'm doing something right. It's when I'm trailing by a boatload of percentage in a stock or am down by a stock then I start doing stupid things like going for a KO too early to try and even the score. Sometimes I try to get even by going for a spike but then get punished by getting spiked myself or committing an SD.

I hate falling behind because when it happens I have the mindset of having to do something totally different than what I'm used to in order to win. This is because the things I believe work aren't doing the job so I feel or subconscieincely think I've got no other alternative.

Overall it's best to not do anything stupid. It's better to do something logical and get punished than something dumb and then regretting it after the match.

MysteryT

Smash Rookie
From what I have experienced, when using Yoshi one has to be able to determine how the opponent attacks so the player with the Yoshi can counter-attack successfully. Many of Yoshi's good attacks can be countered by certain characters, so the Yoshi player has to play around and see how to successfully defend himself and attack the other characters.

I agree with the "if it doesn't work, try something different" statement since it is better to try something and possibly win than to do the same thing that isn't working and lose no matter what.

Top Bottom