• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta 2015 Community Tier List Voting

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
SSBwiki matchups is kind of sketchy (considering they don't update it often) but ok. I'm not trying to argue that Falcon is better, I'm just saying you can't be salty when somebody does, considering the only two peach mains of note are Armada and MacD where only Armada places in top 8 at a major (though MacD is really close) and Armada is a beast in general.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
SSBwiki matchups is kind of sketchy (considering they don't update it often) but ok. I'm not trying to argue that Falcon is better, I'm just saying you can't be salty when somebody does, considering the only two peach mains of note are Armada and MacD where only Armada places in top 8 at a major (though MacD is really close) and Armada is a beast in general.
Name a falcon player that has placed in the top 8 at a major in 2015. Though I understand that I might be coming off as rude when I'm arguing like this. My apologies.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't know what you'd consider a Major, so not sure. Like would it be just Apex, CEO, EVO, TBH?

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
For reference, Wizzy got 5th at WTFox and 4th at MLG. Don't know if those count in your mind.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I honestly don't know what you'd consider a Major, so not sure. Like would it be just Apex, CEO, EVO, TBH?
Apex, CEO, EVO, and TBH5 are the biggest ones. Most tournaments big enough to have either over 1,000 entrants or a large amount of international players.

TBH5:
:peachmelee: highest placement: 1st
:falconmelee: highest placement: 9th

EVO:
:peachmelee: highest placement: 1st
:falconmelee: highest placement: 17th

CEO:
:peachmelee: highest placement: 2nd
:falconmelee: highest placement: 13th

Apex:
:peachmelee: highest placement: 2nd
:falconmelee: highest placement: 17th

WTfox:
:peachmelee: highest placement: 3rd
:falconmelee: highest placement: 5th

MLG:
:peachmelee: highest placement: 2nd [M2K]
:falconmelee: highest placement: 4th

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Are those Peach placings truly peach though? They are Fox with Peach mixed in. I'm just saying it's not obvious who is better based on performance. Not saying it is wrong.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Ok, you are using MLG? where M2K played one set? So if Mango sand bagged pools by using Mario, and proceeded to win using Fox, would that be a Mario win?

Who actually mains Peach? The answer is Mac D. And how has Mac D placed? Very similar to other Falcons.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Are those Peach placings truly peach though? They are Fox with Peach mixed in. I'm just saying it's not obvious who is better based on performance. Not saying it is wrong.
Armada is Peach with Fox mixed in. You can't count someone out if they main 2 characters. Otherwise none of Mang0's results would count, right? Because he uses Falco with Fox mixed in? Right?

Armada is a Peach main. Armada is also a Fox main. But he consistently uses both Peach AND Fox in tournaments, so you can't discredit one character's results because of the other character.

MacD is a Peach main. Armada is a Peach main. They are both Peach Mains.

Also, I thought M2K used Peach for more than one set, my bad.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
My argument is if there is a critical matchup a character can't handle against a top tier, someone could just main another character to deal with it. So like if Falcon is bad against Sheik (which he is in my opinion), and you use Fox against Sheik but Falcon the others, how do you rate the Falcon? Again, not disagreeing. Just curious how it impacts their rankings.

Also I wish I could find Armada's usage of Peach easily to see which he uses more. I feel like he uses Fox a lot more, especially in Top 8's of tourneys. But that's just a hunch.

ChrisWithAk

Smash Cadet
That matchup chart was uploaded in 2010. You dont think things have changed since then? I also said mu spread with s tier. Even in the chart Falcon is better against other s and a teir characters. being tied or winning against 2 character (peach and marth) while peach is only even with falco.

As I also said I think Falco v Falcon is not as bad as most ppl think it is. Maybe not even but def not -2 for falcon

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
My argument is if there is a critical matchup a character can't handle against a top tier, someone could just main another character to deal with it
But they are still a main for that character. Shroomed, on the other hand, uses Doc for specific matchups, but his results with Doc are still counted.

As I also said I think Falco v Falcon is not as bad as most ppl think it is. Maybe not even but def not -2 for falcon
Peach's is even and peach has a better MU with Fox.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
If all peach mains weren't god-awful at chaingrabbing then you'd all see that peach is better.

Also, I think that falcon has an almost unwinnable MU against a Fox player who's on point (maybe falco). You can literally use any set of Lucky or SFat vs. S2J as an example.

ChrisWithAk

Smash Cadet
Yes peach is even with falco but she loses to everyone else above her and falcon on that list. Falcon is even with Marth and beats peach. So by my count they are both even with one above them and Falcon beats Peach which seems like a tiebreaker to me.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Yes peach is even with falco but she loses to everyone else above her and falcon on that list. Falcon is even with Marth and beats peach. So by my count they are both even with one above them and Falcon beats Peach which seems like a tiebreaker to me.
And then you realize that Peach destroys ICs and loses less badly to Fox.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
This whole entire last page and half has been the most colossal waste of time I've ever seen.

Peach is FAR better than Falcon. Any of the top 100 will laugh at you if you don't agree (even Falcon Mains).

Move on yo.

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Falcon beats IC's imo.
I also think Peach doesn't have the tools to deal with top platform camp at the highest level. I don't really know why Peach is considered better than Falcon against Fox either. Falcon gets hit harder but also can manuever neutral way better than Peach off of sheer movement.

Keep in mind s2j has himself often said there's always more he could work on. I've always thought that the fact that there's always been a distinct number of Falcon mains who circulate as great Falcon mains to learn from with very distinct styles for success points towards great potential of a Falcon who can incorporate the best of these styles.

It's also a dangerous argument to just agree mindlessly with people considered "better players." Mew2king thought Puff was a top 2 character at one point. Santiago aka Lil Fumi aka definitely top 100 in the world thinks Falco and Sheik are better than Fox.

How are their opinions shaped? Through raw experience. They probably have way more worth discussing even though most of y'all would disagree with their conclusions. So please never justify a discussion with supposed top player conclusions, actually talk it out because if nothing was truly worth discussing, then the game has staled and we've already pushed it as far as it can go.

FWIW, Kirbykaze said Peach was an awful character and Falcon is an alright character, but this was in stream chat so obviously the seriousness of the statement is thrown into question.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm not going to lie I didn't read a lot of that, I just want to point out that you shouldn't be comparing Armada's results to the Falcon's to talk about which character is better because Armada is much better than them. If you want to compare tournament results, look at MacD vs S2J/Wizzy (my guess is that MacD still does better on average but I don't know).

Personally I don't know what to do with Puff/Peach/Falcon/IC's but it's not something I have put a ton of thought into

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Personally I don't know what to do with Puff/Peach/Falcon/IC's but it's not something I have put a ton of thought into
The most common one [which is also wrong IMO] from looking at this thread seems to be

:falconmelee: > :peachmelee: :jigglypuffmelee: > :icsmelee:

The best one is probably

:peachmelee: > :jigglypuffmelee: > :falconmelee: > :icsmelee:

Mine would be:

:peachmelee: > :jigglypuffmelee: > :icsmelee: > :falconmelee:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I can kinda agree with the middle one. If tier list is supposed to reflect most recent results, I think that's fair.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
The most common one [which is also wrong IMO] from looking at this thread seems to be

:falconmelee: > :peachmelee: :jigglypuffmelee: > :icsmelee:

The best one is probably

:peachmelee: > :jigglypuffmelee: > :falconmelee: > :icsmelee:

Mine would be:

:peachmelee: > :jigglypuffmelee: > :icsmelee: > :falconmelee:
the middle be mine two Falcon can't be better than peach or puff for sure Ic's is fine two but i'm torn on the two

Parttimenoob

Smash Rookie
a Chain Throw, a down smash that can deal up to 60%
While i am absolutely with you on the opinion that Peach > Falcon, these two reasons are stupid. The Downsmash can deal up to 60%, but should basically never do so. This is like saying Marths Shieldbreaker is good, because if fully charged and Tippered, then it breaks shields instantly. Yes its a good feature, it is just way too situational to make the argument count for a top-tier.
The other Argument is where you really go wrong. A Chain-grab is good, but falcons techchases and Combos can (and will at a high level) have similar impact. Also, a lot of characters habe chaingrabs. If you look at that part, ICs are the only toptier in the game, having "chaingrabs" on everyone.

MitchBerryCrunch

Smash Cadet
I don't see why you seperated most of the original S tier. Most of the characters in the top tier (save falcon and ICs) can stand up to other characters in the top tier so there's no real point in putting an imaginary gap between them
Puff, Falcon, Ice Climbers and Peach are not on the same level as the top four characters, that is a FACT. Indisputable.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
The Downsmash can deal up to 60%, but should basically never do so.
I said it can. I never said it should. On average, from what I've seen, it deals around 28% at high level, or more than most other moves in the game.

A Chain-grab is good, but falcons techchases and Combos can (and will at a high level) have similar impact
Except the Falcon has a harder time techchasing peach due to floatieness, and Peach can chainthrow falcon.

If you look at that part, ICs are the only toptier in the game, having "chaingrabs" on everyone.
This isn't Brawl. Chaingrabs are an asset, not a crux. That being said, the Chaingrab and the Downsmash are the crux of Peach's ground game.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
Peach goes even with Falco and only has a -1 matchup with Fox.

What matchups does Armada say aren't in Peach's favour?
puff and marth.

i dont know much about falcon vs spacies, but i dont think -1 or anything to that effect is accurate in depicting matchups. and you might be right in that falcon is more vulnerable vs spacies than peach. I think a lot of matchups within S tier fall within 51/49 or technically 50/50.

falcon has true combos and true death combos, is faster than peach, also has chaingrabs, a bit more range. if there is anything that holds falcon lower than peach its falcons recovery/getting edgeguarded and lacking a projectile. sheiks needles are arguably better than turnips.

I dont think a character rising in popularity or being represented majorly makes the character better or more advanced technically, it just showcases the character's potential in a clearer light. Part of the reason why I'm not convinced the newest tier list is significantly far off in any way.

Last edited:

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
for example i think people forget that DK actually can combos spacies hard and isn't complete garbage, zelda has knees on her toes and has a decent recovery, ness isn't absolute trash etc.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'm more inclined to think Ice Climbers are a top 5 character than worse than Falcon. Disjoint; great combos (including chain-grabs & tech-chases galore, even with solo climber), finishers, stage control, and movement; pretty good recovery + weight + floatiness; pretty good frame data; pretty good projectiles; endless results; and a good matchup spread bar Peach.

Jim Jam Flim Flam

Smash Apprentice
I'm more inclined to think Ice Climbers are a top 5 character than worse than Falcon. Disjoint; great combos (including chain-grabs & tech-chases galore, even with solo climber), finishers, stage control, and movement; pretty good recovery + weight + floatiness; pretty good frame data; pretty good projectiles; endless results; and a good matchup spread bar Peach.
I agree that they are better than falcon, but they just don't have the tools to be top 5 IMO. Top 4 are pretty much always fox, falco, marth, and sheik, and after that it doesn't seem that ICs should follow. Peach and jiggs both have superior tools to the ICs, and do not have the drawback of losing a character that would give them a massive disadvantage. Peach and jiggs can deal with fast fallers and floaties, while ICs struggle against floaties.
Wobbles has showed us that even without wobbling (ironic, I know) the ICs can get top 8 national finishes and have an incredible amount of potential, especially considering their impressive matchup spread among the top 8, excluding peach of course. Falcon does worse against fox, falco, and sheik than the ICs do. With wobbling legal everywhere these days, ICs are a scary, scary character to go against. I think it is obvious that the ICs, although not as common as captain falcon, deserve to be above him in the tier list, if only by one spot.

D4sh_D4nc3

Smash Rookie
I have a question about #16.

Do you have experience in expanding dongs??
Well other then Green Ranger, I couldn't find anyone else who played DK

He has good options, just none are being used

Also. I pretty much expanded over everyones face when I played Donkey Kong back in 2013 at my locals

Avoin

Smash Cadet
To expand on the falcon debate, Since hax, we haven't had a full falcon main come up that has taken a spot as top 10 potential

s2j is on the brink of becoming much better and watching him improve has been very fun. We know falcon has high potential, but do we have a player dedicated to him that is currently showing it at the highest of levels? nah. where as peach, we have armada, without armada we would have MacD as the next best. Thinking about it, without armada, how good would peach be seen then?

these are the things i consider.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Well other then Green Ranger, I couldn't find anyone else who played DK

He has good options, just none are being used

Also. I pretty much expanded over everyones face when I played Donkey Kong back in 2013 at my locals
Chandy has a very brutal and intelligent DK

for example i think people forget that DK actually can combos spacies hard and isn't complete garbage, zelda has knees on her toes and has a decent recovery, ness isn't absolute trash etc.
No one forgets these things, they just are actually aware of the 100s of other reason those are terrible unviable characters. DK to a much lesser extent, but still it's not even worth talking about in this meta.

Jim Jam Flim Flam

Smash Apprentice
To expand on the falcon debate, Since hax, we haven't had a full falcon main come up that has taken a spot as top 10 potential

s2j is on the brink of becoming much better and watching him improve has been very fun. We know falcon has high potential, but do we have a player dedicated to him that is currently showing it at the highest of levels? nah. where as peach, we have armada, without armada we would have MacD as the next best. Thinking about it, without armada, how good would peach be seen then?

these are the things i consider.
I think that even if armada didn't play peach, and MacD was the next best, Peach would still be consistently placed at 5 or 6 on the tier list. There are few people playing Samus at a high level, nowadays it's really only hugs since plup is a sheik main now, but Samus is almost unanimously agreed upon to be just outside the top 8 on the tier list. Axe has beaten several of the "gods" but Pikachu remains around 10th place on most people's tier lists. Essentially, Pikachu hasn't moved on the tier list since Axe started getting incredible performances, and for good reason - when we look at Pikachu, it is obvious he does not have the tools like top 8 characters do. Even if there were no peach mains getting good performances, I think there would be enough people in the community to critically think about the tools peach has, and she would still be considered a top 8 character.
You are correct that good players do inflate how people see characters, though. I've seen people put Pikachu on the same level as sheik, and ice climbers put at 15th on tier lists.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
hmmmm
loses bad to falcon, marth, fox, and especially Peach.
goes around even with Ganon, Samus, and Doc (?) questionably.
loses to puff & falco.
only winning top/high tier Matchups are Sheik & Pika.
Fox: Loses less than Falcon loses
Falco: Even
Sheik: wins
Marth: Loses, but not as badly as Falcon loses to Fox still.
Peach: Awful
Puff: Wins about as much as loses to Marth (not an uncommon view)
Falcon: Loses somewhere between Fox & Marth
Pika: Slaughters
Samus: Loses
Doc: Slight advantage
Ganon: advantage.
Luigi: Same as Falcon
Yoshi: Wins pretty handily, similar to falcon.

Relative to how Falcon does against these characters, my view is:

Fox: IC's > Falcon
Puff: IC's >> Falcon
Pika: IC's >> Falcon

Falco: ICs >>> Falcon
Sheik: IC's >>> Falcon

Marth: IC's < Falcon
IC's: IC's < Falcon
Falcon: IC's < Falcon
Doc: IC's < Falcon

Ganon: IC's << Falcon
Samus: IC's <<< Falcon
Peach: IC's <<<< Falcon

Luigi: IC's = Falcon
Yoshi: IC's = Falcon

This gives, in the end, IC's 11 arrows to Falcon's 13, but with IC's having less large disadvantages. Likewise, IC's do better against the top characters.

To add to it, I think Falcon has somewhere between 2 and 3 unwinnable matchups. I think IC's have somewhere between 1-2.
I think IC's are underrated and Falcon overrated.

Last edited:

Jim Jam Flim Flam

Smash Apprentice
Fox: Loses less than Falcon loses
Falco: Even
Sheik: wins
Marth: Loses, but not as badly as Falcon loses to Fox still.
Peach: Awful
Puff: Wins about as much as loses to Marth (not an uncommon view)
Falcon: Loses somewhere between Fox & Marth
Pika: Slaughters
Samus: Loses
Doc: Slight advantage
Ganon: advantage.
Luigi: Same as Falcon
Yoshi: Wins pretty handily, similar to falcon.

Relative to how Falcon does against these characters, my view is:

Fox: IC's > Falcon
Puff: IC's >> Falcon
Pika: IC's >> Falcon

Falco: ICs >>> Falcon
Sheik: IC's >>> Falcon

Marth: IC's < Falcon
IC's: IC's < Falcon
Falcon: IC's < Falcon
Doc: IC's < Falcon

Ganon: IC's << Falcon
Samus: IC's <<< Falcon
Peach: IC's <<<< Falcon

Luigi: IC's = Falcon
Yoshi: IC's = Falcon

This gives, in the end, IC's 11 arrows to Falcon's 13, but with IC's having less large disadvantages. Likewise, IC's do better against the top characters.

To add to it, I think Falcon has somewhere between 2 and 3 unwinnable matchups. I think IC's have somewhere between 1-2.
I think IC's are underrated and Falcon overrated.
I will play Devil's advocate for a second: Falcon has sexy combos on floaties, and can shut down fast fallers and floaties, while ICs can't really shut down floaties, and have to resort to intricate spacing and crackhead reaction times to take advantage of floatie's mistakes, because IC's vertical movement is trash.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I will play Devil's advocate for a second: Falcon has sexy combos on floaties, and can shut down fast fallers and floaties, while ICs can't really shut down floaties, and have to resort to intricate spacing and crackhead reaction times to take advantage of floatie's mistakes, because IC's vertical movement is trash.
I actually think IC's vertical movement is decent. With a 3 frame jumpsquat, decent jump height, a jump speed way above samus tier, and two disjointed (one significantly above IC's position) quick aerials to control newly zoned space. Nair is also not a bad "stop floating there" move. I'd argue that IC's don't challenge floaties in the air much because their ground punish game is just so much more rewarding, and not as much because their vertical movement / zoning is bad.

Last edited:

KarmaMN

Smash Rookie
1. Fox.. Anyone that argues this is just plain wrong lol
2. Sheik.. Perfect Tech Chasing, gimping needles. If puff and ice climbers weren't in this game I would put this as #1
3. Falco/Marth.. (Tied) These 2 characters have the most even match up spread across all the viable characters, also go 50/50.
5. Jigglypuff.. Would probably be #2 or possibly #1 in the game if Fox did not exist. Only losing match up being Fox in the top 12.
6. Captain Falcon.. Gets countered pretty hard by Fox/Falco/Sheik, but wrecks Peach/ICs/Gannon/Pikachu/Yoshi even with Marth
7. Peach.. Only character to have a tiny slight advantage against Falco, loses every match up in the top 8 accept for Ice climbers
8. Ice Climbers.. Get's wrecked by Peach/Falcon/Marth/Spacies/Samus/Gannon but wins against Puff & Sheik.
9. Samus.. Odd ball character, loses to all top 8 accept for Ice Climbers
10. Pikachu..Axe
11. Yoshi..Amsa
12. Gannondorf..Kage The Warrior

Rest doesn't really matter.

Jim Jam Flim Flam

Smash Apprentice
I actually think IC's vertical movement is decent. With a 3 frame jumpsquat, decent jump height, a jump speed way above samus tier, and two disjointed (one significantly above IC's position) quick aerials to control newly zoned space. Nair is also not a bad "stop floating there" move. I'd argue that IC's don't challenge floaties in the air much because their ground punish game is just so much more rewarding, and not as much because their vertical movement / zoning is bad.
You make a good point, they do have some good vertical moves, but they can't use their vertical moves to do much against floaties, like other characters with good shffls and even good full hop aerials can...perhaps that's what I should have said, that their shffld aerials aren't very good against floaties, and of course their full hop aerials aren't any better.
But after watching some videos I have noticed that the IC's can do nairs and bairs to control space in front of floaties, and waveland back to avoid a punish, which pretty much makes them impossible to hit in most situations, and that's without even mentioning desyncs. But what can they do about a character that is in front of and above them? They have zero approach options. The ICs certainly seem better than falcon, but at the same time, they are very inconsistent with matchups, and I see that as a huge flaw in a top 8 character. All it takes is one peach to end a tear that an ICs player might be going on. I've seen fly amanita destroy very good players and go on huge winning streaks only to get shut down by MacD with nothing but float cancels and downsmashes.

Top Bottom